Fitz is hot garbage.

Embrace the Suck

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't care if you bash Fitz. I'm not defending him. I've said for two weeks he should be benched.

Im making fun of the pro-Geno argument because it's not a logical argument, and because those posing it are easily butthurt.

See, being fed up with Futz doesn't automatically mean I'm in support of Geno playing, or that I agree with the dumb hypotheticals you all cling to. 

I don't want either of them out there. I want Petty. I'm content to see if Fitz snaps out of it until Petty is ready, for no other reason than keeping the rest of the team in it. 

I don't want Petty taking over a team that has quit. I've already seen the Jets quit behind Geno.

You want Petty cuz you think his handful of passes in a preseason game against 3rd string D were awesome. Very logical. 

Now at 1-3, the season isn't over yet. By some luck, we win the next two and it's game on. What I do know is Fitz won't be able to do sh*t either way. Geno can. You think Petty's pre season passes mean everything. I think Geno's last 4-5 games mean more than his rookie campaign under Wrecks. Difference of opinion so can we agree to disagree that it's not an issue of being logical or illogical? Cuz if it came down to that for a win-now team, your logic is pretty poor. 

36 minutes ago, j4jets said:

You want Petty cuz you think his handful of passes in a preseason game against 3rd string D were awesome. Very logical. 

Now at 1-3, the season isn't over yet. By some luck, we win the next two and it's game on. What I do know is Fitz won't be able to do sh*t either way. Geno can. You think Petty's pre season passes mean everything. I think Geno's last 4-5 games mean more than his rookie campaign under Wrecks. Difference of opinion so can we agree to disagree that it's not an issue of being logical or illogical? Cuz if it came down to that for a win-now team, your logic is pretty poor. 

The argument for starting Petty is equivalent to that of starting Geno. Both hinge upon the weapons we have on offense, a smattering of good plays in limited reps, and hypothetical results.

To discredit Petty is to discredit Geno. At least I've only invested the afternoon in Petty. Unlike some that have been lobbying for Geno for months.

Anyway, I want Petty to see if he can play. He is under contract next year, Geno isn't. It's about the future. Not exclusively preseason play, which I've said, so this is just more bad debating from you. As per the usual.

I have as much confidence in Bryce winning games in short-term as Geno too. Probably more. I'm just not going to make up nonsense to justify saying so. It's just a hunch. No advanced stats or any of that dumb sh*t that props up the Geno angle.

Petty read defenses, went thru progressions, and showed more arm talent in preseason. Versus similar backup defenses to Geno.

So, common sense says play the guy who looked better and is under contract next year.

Tjis all assumes we are 1-5 too. At which point, given how stacked the AFC is, we are playing for 2017 roster spots and pride.

On 10/3/2016 at 0:42 PM, joewilly12 said:

The Jets are 1-3 mainly because of Ryan Fitzpatrick 

Its time for a QB change 

Completely wrong, such a ludicrous thing to say.

Ryan Fitzpatrick cost us the Kansas City game.  He had the Bengals game won at the 2 minute warning.  He was AFC Offensive Player of The Week at Buffalo.  He played very well into the 4th quarter against the best secondary in the league vs Seattle.  If we had a better defense, Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Jets would be 3-1 today.

SAR I

43 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

I think Mark Sanchez can be had from the Boys for a 7th Round PICK>

If Mark Sanchez had this offense in 2012 we would have never drafted bust Geno Smith and we'd never have needed journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Pity.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

The argument for starting Petty is equivalent to that of starting Geno. Both hinge upon the weapons we have on offense, a smattering of good plays in limited reps, and hypothetical results.

No and it's not even close  

To discredit Petty is to discredit Geno. At least I've only invested the afternoon in Petty. Unlike some that have been lobbying for Geno for months.

So you're freshly on the Petty bandwagon. Good. 

Anyway, I want Petty to see if he can play. He is under contract next year, Geno isn't. It's about the future. Not exclusively preseason play, which I've said, so this is just more bad debating from you. As per the usual.

Then why not Hack? He's under contract longer than Petty. Oh yeah, cuz Petty had a couple of nice passes in the pre season. But, like you said, it's not exclusively preseason. It must be the last 2-3 practices then. God knows, Geno has never had a good practice...like that 6TD practice. But yeah, it not exclusively the pre season and I'm the one with "more bad debating". 

I have as much confidence in Bryce winning games in short-term as Geno too. Probably more. I'm just not going to make up nonsense to justify saying so.

Oh, speaking of nonsense, do you remember who Geno's starting WRs were in his rookie year? Imagine Hack throwing to them. Oh yeah, Hacks not ready...but somehow Geno never gets that benefit of the doubt. Like you said, "bad debating".

It's just a hunch. No advanced stats or any of that dumb sh*t that props up the Geno angle.

Of course it's just a hunch. Isn't that the definition of "making up nonsense to justify" what you believe is logic?

Petty read defenses, went thru progressions, and showed more arm talent in preseason. Versus similar backup defenses to Geno.

Similar backup Ds? I don't ever recall Geno playing against third string Ds, but yeah, my "dumb sh*t" stats though.

So, common sense says play the guy who looked better and is under contract next year.

I think we know what common sense says. It says when your #1 is shutting the bed, you play your #2. I don't recall Petty leaping ahead of Geno. In fact, and you might've already forgotten this, there were plenty of days when Petty looked even worse than Hack in the training camp. Those Madden hours must be paying off now.

Tjis all assumes we are 1-5 too. At which point, given how stacked the AFC is, we are playing for 2017 roster spots and pride.

Then it makes sense to bench Fitz and play Hack, not Petty. Hack is the supposed future franchise QB. Why not give him the snaps? 

But yeah, just bad debating on my behalf. 

54 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick cost us the Kansas City game.  He had the Bengals game won at the 2 minute warning.  He was AFC Offensive Player of The Week at Buffalo.  He played very well into the 4th quarter against the best secondary in the league vs Seattle.  If we had a better defense, Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Jets would be 3-1 today.

SAR I

Oddly, I agree with you.

The D has been a point of strength, but not strong enough to stifle teams like most of us thought. They have been the achilles heel on many occasions.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

If Mark Sanchez had this offense in 2012 we would have never drafted bust Geno Smith and we'd never have needed journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Pity.

SAR I

If you are making that excuse for Sanchez, why can't same excuse be made for geno ? He never played on a good offense either.. Sanchez stinks, he makes more bonehead throws than fitz

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Your credibility is totally shot right now

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If you are making that excuse for Sanchez, why can't same excuse be made for geno ? He never played on a good offense either.. Sanchez stinks, he makes more bonehead throws than fitz

Sanchez had two tremendous seasons and while certainly far from perfect he was money in the clutch and drive us to the playoffs.  Mark accomplished something.  

Geno Smith can't be mentioned in the same sentence. He couldn't even win the starting job from a journeyman. 

SAR I

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Your credibility is totally shot right now

There is no such thing as credibility on a fan message board. But if there were, trust me, publicly admitting one is a believer in Geno Smith would put a stain on ones reputation forever.

And back to Fitz, what I wrote is absolutely true, he's the least of our problems right now.  We've got safeties out of position, we have corners afraid of their own shadows, we have running backs who can't find daylight, we have a defensive line that can't get to gimpy quarterbacks, we have a coach who can't prepare, we even have linemen giving themselves concussions and you want to blame one guy because you have a queer agenda towards a second round pick who busted.  Good luck with that.  

SAR I

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is no such thing as credibility on a fan message board. But if there were, trust me, publicly admitting one is a believer in Geno Smith would put a stain on ones reputation forever.

And back to Fitz, what I wrote is absolutely true, he's the least of our problems right now.  We've got safeties out of position, we have corners afraid of their own shadows, we have running backs who can't find daylight, we have a defensive line that can't get to gimpy quarterbacks, we have a coach who can't prepare, we even have linemen giving themselves concussions and you want to blame one guy because you have a queer agenda towards a second round pick who busted.  Good luck with that.  

SAR I

its always been the easy way out on this site to just blame everything on the QB. This is NOT all on Fitz I have a feeling we are dealing with poor scheme and some really bad play calling with no adjustments as to what the defense is showing us. Constantly running empty back field is horribly predictable and its been obvious. Fitz is not that type of QB we know what he is and we know what he's been successful at yet this team and OC wants to sling the ball all over the field against defenses that have been designed to take that away by dropping damn near everyone into coverage. Fitz has no doubt forced the Issue but when your playing from behind what else can you do ? This is NOT all on Fitz and I expect and hope this team makes some changes.

1. I would like to see more of Powell

2. as the weeks go on I expect Fitz and Anderson/Peake to get more familiar with one another.

3. Use Forte more in the passing game rather than busting him up running between the tackles which will just break him down over the course of the season. Get Pope on the active roster his speed and youth could help.

4. Get the defense heads out of their asses and go back to fundamentals like tackling and not constantly missing assignments.

5. Most of what's wrong with this talented football team is the coaching IMHO. The players on defense seem like they are having to think too much seriously slowing them down. Put them in position and let them do their thing. This is the worst coached Defense in the NFL right now by far.

Look at what Schwartz/Pederson and Zimmer are doing ..... As a side note I would not mind Schwartz as the HC of this football team next year the guy is one of the best DC's in the NFL and has HC experience and I like his fire and this team badly needs fire. If we don't hire Schwartz someone else certainly will. I don't want to see another year wasted on Todd Bowles who coached just as sh*tty last year and has not fixed anything he should have improved in... sound familiar ?

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

No and it's not even close  

So you're freshly on the Petty bandwagon. Good. 

Then why not Hack? He's under contract longer than Petty. Oh yeah, cuz Petty had a couple of nice passes in the pre season. But, like you said, it's not exclusively preseason. It must be the last 2-3 practices then. God knows, Geno has never had a good practice...like that 6TD practice. But yeah, it not exclusively the pre season and I'm the one with "more bad debating". 

Oh, speaking of nonsense, do you remember who Geno's starting WRs were in his rookie year? Imagine Hack throwing to them. Oh yeah, Hacks not ready...but somehow Geno never gets that benefit of the doubt. Like you said, "bad debating".

Of course it's just a hunch. Isn't that the definition of "making up nonsense to justify" what you believe is logic?

Similar backup Ds? I don't ever recall Geno playing against third string Ds, but yeah, my "dumb sh*t" stats though.

I think we know what common sense says. It says when your #1 is shutting the bed, you play your #2. I don't recall Petty leaping ahead of Geno. In fact, and you might've already forgotten this, there were plenty of days when Petty looked even worse than Hack in the training camp. Those Madden hours must be paying off now.

Then it makes sense to bench Fitz and play Hack, not Petty. Hack is the supposed future franchise QB. Why not give him the snaps? 

But yeah, just bad debating on my behalf. 

When you have to itemize an entire post, only to then spin each statement to a point where it leaves a soft opening for you to make an elementary, yet irrelevant, counterpoint... yes, it is bad debating.

Horrid debating, as a matter of fact.

If you are going to fill my inbox with replies, you could at least read what I say from the stance of trying to understand it. Rather than just looking for openings to blab 'Geno, Geno, Geno...' back at me.

Godd debaters practice active listening.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

its always been the easy way out on this site to just blame everything on the QB. This is NOT all on Fitz I have a feeling we are dealing with poor scheme and some really bad play calling with no adjustments as to what the defense is showing us. Constantly running empty back field is horribly predictable and its been obvious. Fitz is not that type of QB we know what he is and we know what he's been successful at yet this team and OC wants to sling the ball all over the field against defenses that have been designed to take that away by dropping damn near everyone into coverage. Fitz has no doubt forced the Issue but when your playing from behind what else can you do ? This is NOT all on Fitz and I expect and hope this team makes some changes.

Outstanding, perfectly summarized and stated.

There is so much going on here that "blame the quarterback" is a ridiculous thesis.

SAR I

http://turnonthejets.com/2016/10/new-york-jets-week-5-friday-musings/#more-34032

BREAKING NEWS: Ryan Fitzpatrick has been awful as the Jets starting quarterback. But is it fair to blame him? Is it really the Jets’ fault for not seeing this coming? Isn’t it Chan Gailey’s fault for being the only coach to consistently give Fitzpatrick a chance? Isn’t it Brandon Marshall’s fault for picking that boat to sit in? Shouldn’t Robby Anderson know better than to run too far down the field if arm strength is a known limitation? Isn’t it Decker’s fault for always picking up a knock around this time of year? And if you’re serious about standing up to bullying Eric, what do you call what the Chiefs and Seahawks just did? If Quincy Enunwa wasn’t playing so well, Fitzpatrick would have felt pressure to look toward him instead of a wide open Brandon Marshall in the end zone. 

It was so much more simple last year. We wouldn’t need to scrutinize Fitzpatrick as the starter if Geno could settle his debts. If Harvard was such a great school, they would have taught Fitzpatrick how to be a better quarterback. When the Jets had their Todd Bowles “come to Jesus moment” last week, was he even home? Way to be there when we need you, Jesus.

The war between the Fitz truthers and the blame-anybody-but-Fitzers is the most Jets fan argument of all time. And at the risk of my sanity, I’ll hop in.

The Jets paid 12 million to bring him back. That’s not cheap, especially compared to the rookie contract the backup quarterback some have been calling for is making. But 12 million is not exactly big for a quarterback – it makes Fitzpatrick the 24th highest paid quarterback in the league, and that even flatters him when taken into account the handful of players on rookie contracts that would make more than him on an open market. It was a clear sign of commitment as a starter, but it’s a far cry from even the “Brock Osweiler money” Fitzpatrick probably thought he was going to get.

That is not to excuse bad play, but that is to say that the Jets aren’t really expecting him to be anything more than he was last year. Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015 was a below average quarterback in yards-per-attempt, completion percentage, and turnover rate. He was a strong quarterback in terms of getting the ball in the end zone, and led one of the best red zone offenses in the league. So, if he’s still doing all of those things, it’s par for the course. Except, he’s not.

Let’s start with the bad. “Bad” Fitzpatrick is on steroids this year. His completion percentage is even worse than it was last year, where he was already one of the worst in the league. His Y/A is slightly down too, which was again one of the lowest numbers amongst starters last year. Joe’s passing game breakdown for Seattle has a clearer breakdown of just how much Fitzpatrick’s accuracy and decision making are killing the Jets right now. And of course, he’s already just 5 interceptions short of his entire 2015 total, where he yet again was amongst the worst in the league. Edward Gorelik’s breakdown of Fitzpatrick had him down for 35 interceptables over 2015. So far, he’s on pace this year for… brace for it… FIFTY-SIX. That’s 56. You’ve got 50, and you’re still not done yet. Add six more. Seriously Fitz, what the hell?

But the real killer is that the Jets were fair to expect Fitzpatrick to continue being strong in the red zone given the weapons quality (arguably even better than in 2015) and continuing to play with an offensive coordinator he has mastery status understanding with. But Fitzpatrick here, like he’s been everywhere else, has been awful. The Jets are down to 29th in the league in red zone efficiency with just 38.89% of opportunities ending in touchdowns.

Last year the Jets were in the top three, converting 66.04%. Yes, the Jets are playing better opponents on average, and this isn’t all completely on Fitzpatrick, but that’s an enormous swing. And how much of a culprit he is here is plain to see with the naked eye, whether it be the forced passes to covered players versus Cincinnati or the unspeakable horrors witnessed in Kansas City. Of all the bad qualities Fitzpatrick has displayed in other areas, if he was still strong in the red zone, the Jets wouldn’t be 1-3. They’d be at least 2-2, and they would have at least had a fighting chance in Kansas City.

You can make excuses for Fitzpatrick’s limitations to the extent that the Jets were comfortable with them to a certain level, where there was trust that the supporting cast could elevate that level of player and clinical performance in the red zone would keep the Jets in most games like it did last year. But this isn’t “limited journeyman quarterback” Fitzpatrick. This is a dumpster fire.

Basket of DeploraBowles

Paralleling Fitzpatrick’s race to match his interception total of last year is the increased frequency of big plays being given up defending the pass. Last year the Jets gave up 11 pass plays of 40+ yards through 16 games. Through 4 games this year, the Jets have given up 7. There’s nothing more deflating than the kind of drive the Jets gave up that led to Seattle’s first touchdown. They’re pinned at their own 8. In just 3:30 minutes and a drive that essentially amounts to just four pass plays, the Seahawks are in the end zone.

There is no easy fix here. Take the entire back seven or eight, and how many positions are better than last year? Technically Skrine replacing Cromartie as the team’s second corner has been fine, and Darron Lee has been active although still clearly rough around the edges. How many are clearly worse? Calvin Pryor, Darrelle Revis, Marcus Gilchrist. There’s been no next step from Pryor, Marcus Williams or Lorenzo Mauldin. Revis and David Harris, a top two cornerback and a top ten inside linebacker respectively in terms of pay rate, are ordinary players. As nice as the short-term fix the big spending for 2015 was, the Jets have too much of the salary cap assigned to “ordinary” right now.

Yet as a collective unit, calling the Jets defense ordinary is being incredibly flattering. According to Football Outsiders, the Jets pass defense is 31st in the league in defensive DVOA. And the Jets are a lot closer to 32nd (Detroit) than they are 30th. Calling them the worst in the league through four games isn’t a stretch.

So what can be done differently? There’s a “are things too complicated?” narrative building, but I can’t buy this being the source of consistent big plays given up. The complete edition of Bowles’ defense worked in Arizona, and this secondary is a veteran group. These aren’t a bunch of rookies struggling with the complexities of an NFL playbook. There’s clearly adjustments to be made, but I don’t think a reversion to the K.I.S.S. philosophy is one to make. For one, the Jets remain one of the most blitz-heavy teams in football, blitzing Russell Wilsonover 50% of the time last Sunday. Not only is it not necessary given the concentration of talent the Jets have up front, but it is just nonsensical given the current struggles in the back end.

Rely on your three first round picks to win up front, as they should be able to do. I’m not saying to completely cut off from the blitz, but surely the play calling can be more varied and opportunistic with blitzes rather than being commonplace.

Players that are underperforming should also be feeling the heat. Perhaps more snaps for Rontez Miles and Antonio Allen are in order, as well as Juston Burris at corner. How about Josh Martin or Mike Catapano taking away some of Mauldin’s opportunities? Without competition and a threat for places, there’s always room for complacency.

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

SAR I hell no Fitzpatrick has been the reason we aren't competitive on the file the guy us a turnover machine. You cannot win football games with 9 INTs in 2 games.

joewilly12

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

When you have to itemize an entire post, only to then spin each statement to a point where it leaves a soft opening for you to make an elementary, yet irrelevant, counterpoint... yes, it is bad debating.

Horrid debating, as a matter of fact.

If you are going to fill my inbox with replies, you could at least read what I say from the stance of trying to understand it. Rather than just looking for openings to blab 'Geno, Geno, Geno...' back at me.

Godd debaters practice active listening.

When I literally shred every garbage you posted one by one, your only argument is "bad debating". You're worse than Trump. 

16 minutes ago, j4jets said:

When I literally shred every garbage you posted one by one, your only argument is "bad debating". You're worse than Trump. 

You have yet to actually address anything I've said, at all. Every reply is the same, you re-frame things to fit into your wheelhouse... but you're not actually making any points at all. 

Redundancy of gibberish is not equivalent to debate counterpoints. 

Ther may be 1-2 people here that think you're making a great stand, you being one of them. Everyone else knows I'm just playing rope-a-dope.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You have yet to actually address anything I've said, at all. Every reply is the same, you re-frame things to fit into your wheelhouse... but you're not actually making any points at all. 

Redundancy of gibberish is not equivalent to debate counterpoints. 

Ther may be 1-2 people here that think you're making a great stand, you being one of them. Everyone else knows I'm just playing rope-a-dope.

You, sir, are pretty good at trolling. 

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Sure, 9ints in 2 games, worst starting qb in the league, 4th qtr turnover machine and he's suddenly the least of our problems.

Of course he is when it comes from people who speak more about our backup then they do our starter. I can see how guys would consider our backup more of a problem than the worst qb in the league that's on a trajectory to have one of the all-time worst qb seasons in league history.

But yeah, the least of our problems. Keep up the damage control.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I know, but in this case I'm being 100% sincere. Don't take it personal.

You , sir are pretty good at trolling AND dumb. Next time, try disputing my argument with anything but "Geno sucks" or "Petty had a couple of good passes" or "their opposition was similarly talented". Those are some of the worst arguments here. 

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I hell no Fitzpatrick has been the reason we aren't competitive on the file the guy us a turnover machine. You cannot win football games with 9 INTs in 2 games.

joewilly12

I'm surprised we ONLY lost by 10 last week.   A strange way of saying if we had good QB play.....we could have beaten KC and Seattle.  As bad as our secondary is..... we gave up 27 and 24 and had almost NO production on offense. 

Archived