Gilmore Facemask on Marshall

PLO

For some reason this hasn't been talked about much except in terms of Marshall coming back from the injury like Lazarus from the dead.

This was one of the worst professional fouls I've seen in a long time in the NFL; absolutely the dirtiest play a corner could pull on a reciever, potentially career-ending. For a professional to pull that on a fellow professional would be a nadir for any player in the league. I can only think that getting pawned repeatedly by Marshall and the Jets recievers caused the frustration that led to it, but having said that that's no excuse. If you look at the tape it was obviously no accident - unlike a lot of other facemasks that happen in the league, where players are out of position or whatever. In my book a worse foul than something like the Suh stomp; in other football leagues, something like this happens Gilmore is suspended for most of the season and has a mark against his name for the rest of his career.

Buffalo is a dirty team that face mask was blatant and intended to cause injury to Marshall I wouldn't put it past Rex Ryan to instruct his players to hurt our stars anyway they could. 

The NFL needs to review that play and enforce suspensions and fines. 

That could have ended Marshall's career. 

Image result for jets bills pics 2016

Ok let's step off the ledge. He didn't purposefully tackle Brandon that way. Had he not taken Brandon down then it's a TD. No NFL player on the planet let's up on that tackle knowing it will lead to a TD. He grabbed the face mask, and by the time he realized it he had no choice but to continue to take him down and prevent the TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Ok let's step off the ledge. He didn't purposefully tackle Brandon that way. Had he not taken Brandon down then it's a TD. No NFL player on the planet let's up on that tackle knowing it will lead to a TD. He grabbed the face mask, and by the time he realized it he had no choice but to continue to take him down and prevent the TD.

BULLsh*t 

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Look at the tape: both hands are moving above the shoulder, he has close position on Marshall, could have easily wrapped him around his trunk. This may have been a snap decision but he decided to facemask: its the equivalent of sliding foot first into another players knee in baseball or soccer.

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Sometimes you get beat as a CB. It's not okay to intentionally yank a man to the ground by his facemask when it happens, ever.

I can understand in the moment the refs threw the flag they were supposed to and didn't do more. However seeing the film slowed down it's hard to imagine how that wasn't completely intentional. The NFL should review, fine and suspend. If that behavior is let go then it sends the message that a player's career is only worth fifteen yards. That's the same penalty for taunting and taunting twice can get a player ejected and fined. That makes zero sense.

Buffalo as an organization didn't take control of Rex and his foolishness from the getgo and this is the result.

Rex hasn't created a bully but rather just dumb players willing to hurt others when they can't play straight up.

That face mask was a DISGRACE!!!!

And I would say the same thing if a Jet player did it!!!

And yet Phil 'i hate the jets' Simms said that Marshall is too big; pulling him down by the face mask is the only way to tackle him.

I don't know if this tackle was a blatant... but remember the game that some CB was head hunting the Jets - pretty much ended our 'promising' WR career. he was head-hunting all game. So, if you taunt twice you are ejected, but if a CB pulls a WR down by the face mask twice he isn't? Yeah, that makes sense.

44 minutes ago, Bachelors3 said:

I still have no idea how Brandon did not get a severe knee injury. If my knee was in the angle his was, I would not be able to walk for months much less continue to play in the same game.

Agreed. He is a freak. 

Look at the tape: both hands are moving above the shoulder, he has close position on Marshall, could have easily wrapped him around his trunk. This may have been a snap decision but he decided to facemask: its the equivalent of sliding foot first into another players knee in baseball or soccer.

I'm sorry, I just really have a hard time abiding by the notion that he could have made a fair tackle, and then consciously decided "nah, let me commit an egregious personal foul and grab his face mask instead and try to blow out his knee". I'm mean, really??

21 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I'm sorry, I just really have a hard time abiding by the notion that he could have made a fair tackle, and then consciously decided "nah, let me commit an egregious personal foul and grab his face mask instead and try to blow out his knee". I'm mean, really??

Basically he intentionally facemasked him to bring him down - similar situation you see in soccer where a player goes in studs up to a knee to end a potenitally goal-scoring play - players who do that can end up with months of suspension in that sport - its a decison made in a split second that can end a fellow players career and tbh should be punished as such. Most facemasks in the league are unintentional where the player is out of position and gets his fingers caught somehow in the grille - Gilmore had position to tackle fairly and made a snap decision not to. Its not as if a Suh said to himself I'm going to stomp someone before the game..........but in the heat of the moment he did - Gilmore made the same decision as a Suh. Frankly he should be punished as such, or if this league was fair, punished worse because's a Suh stomp was never going to be career ending.

Basically he intentionally facemasked him to bring him down - similar situation you see in soccer where a player goes in studs up to a knee to end a potenitally goal-scoring play - players who do that can end up with months of suspension in that sport - its a decison made in a split second that can end a fellow players career and tbh should be punished as such. Most facemasks in the league are unintentional where the player is out of position and gets his fingers caught somehow in the grille - Gilmore had position to tackle fairly and made a snap decision not to. Its not as if a Suh said to himself I'm going to stomp someone before the game but in the heat of the moment he did - Gilmore made the same decision as a Suh. Frankly he should be punished as such, or if this league was fair, punished worse because's a Suh stomp was never going to be career ending.

I completely disagree. Suh made a conscious decision to curb stomp a dude. Gilmore reach grabbed face mask, realized if he let go it would result in a TD so followed through with the tackle. It's simple as that. Should he be fined? Certainly. But it's ridiculous to think in the heat of the moment before he even laid hands on Brandon that he recognized the option of tackling fairly or deliberately injuring Brandon and he opted for injury.

Yet Decker and Richardson would have been kicked out for talking shot and spinning the ball in the defenders direction.

The NFL rules committee has really f'd up.  Now to "keep QBs safe" we are forcing them out of the game after a hit to the head.  Hello open season on the QBs.  Except for Brady.  They will never let defenders get near him.

24 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I completely disagree. Suh made a conscious decision to curb stomp a dude. Gilmore reach grabbed face mask, realized if he let go it would result in a TD so followed through with the tackle. It's simple as that. Should he be fined? Certainly. But it's ridiculous to think in the heat of the moment before he even laid hands on Brandon that he recognized the option of tackling fairly or deliberately injuring Brandon and he opted for injury.

"Heat of the moment" is what happens in most crimes. Doesn't excuse them though.

It's obvious from the last two games that opponents' game plan was to take out Marshall, the Jets best weapon, by hurting him. I don't recall specifically what it was but the Bengals repeatedly hit him, I think helmet to helmet. Then, they give him the OPI. Now that they might realize that we have more than one weapon hopefully teams revert back to a genuine defensive game plan.

And Goodell made a special rule to eject a player after two personal fouls after Josh Norman harassed poor Odell Beckham all game long (wah wah), certainly something like this deserves a worse penalty. 

6 hours ago, Snell41 said:

What do you mean he didn't purposefully tackle Marshall that way?  Yes, he did.  He may not have intended to cause an injury, but he sure as hell meant to bring him down by his facemask.

Agree with original poster and those who've pointed out what a farce it is that taunting carries the threat of ejection but that kind if 'tackle' doesn't.....made it all the sweeter to see Brandon giving Gilmore the verbal business when he made a sick grab over him after he returned and Gilmore just slunk off sheepishly knowing he was lucky not to get the actual crap beaten out if him for if.

13 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

There is a rematch game upcoming before the season's end. 

I missed the beginning of the game, and I can't watch that video. Hope they have something special planned for Gilmore. Yeah, I said it. 

I was going to post about this the next day. You just don't pull a guy down by a facemask like that to avoid giving up a touchdown. You don't clothesline a guy. You don't horsecollar a guy. You don't punch him in the throat to keep him from a first down or catching a ball. You don't clip a guy below the knees. You don't block a guy below the waist while he's engaged with another player. You don't tackle a defenseless receiver by crashing him in the cranium. You don't do any of these things. That ******* tackle was right up there. You got beat, it is no excuse to tackle a guy illegally like a ******* calf roper in the rodeo to keep him from scoring. Did he intentionally try to hurt him? Irrelevant, because he sure as **** didn't care whether he did or not. Hey, whatever happens, happens, right? The Jets should have retaliated. And of course, what you eventually get is rollerball.

Suspension. No other choice. You can't reward these kinds of plays with weak punishments. Or the other team starts to take THEIR pound of flesh. I would love that because scumbaggery begets scumbaggery. I was PRAYING for a Jet to destroy Tyrod Taylor and knock him out of the game. Because, **** that.

Archived