Alex Smith and KC

Smashmouth

Watched this game and though I like Alex Smith he looked absolutely horrid vs a good Texans defense. He was constantly under pressure and was always throwing off his back foot and underthrowing WR's. Funny thing was this dink and dunk QB had Spencer Ware open all over the field yet never really exploited it, most times he rolled away from Ware's routes out of the backfield. Andy Reid said they wanted to target WR's more in this game and it was not working yet they never adjusted even though it was their for them to do so.

Lets hope Bowles does not go blitz crazy and Smith exploits it with the short pass and screens. Hopefully Bowles sees this and adjusts his game plan accordingly I'm sick of living by the blitz and dying by the blitz. If KC gets their talented RB's in our secondary that can't tackle to save their lives this will be a long day.

The key to beating this team will be to bottle up Ware or Charles (whomever plays ) and put pressure on Smith up the middle and keep him bottled up in the pocket like Houston Did. A straight forward disciplined defense will win this game because KC's defense if fully capable of shutting anyone down on any given day

KC all around looked pretty bad. We should not be fooled. Even the great teams have one bad game in a 16 game season. With that said, they match up pretty evenly with the Jets. Our weakness is the long ball and that's not a strength of Smith. Our Offense should do ok against their D, but Peters had 2 INT's yesterday. I think it will be a good game.

54 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

KC all around looked pretty bad. We should not be fooled. Even the great teams have one bad game in a 16 game season. With that said, they match up pretty evenly with the Jets. Our weakness is the long ball and that's not a strength of Smith. Our Offense should do ok against their D, but Peters had 2 INT's yesterday. I think it will be a good game.

With the Rams beating the Seahawks 9-3 and the Vikes beating the Packers 17-14 any team can lose on a given day..For the Hawks this was their 2nd poor showing in 2 weeks just getting by the Fins last week 12-10..

I think this is the road game we need to win, to compensate for peeing down our legs at home vs. Bengals. I want to think we match up well vs. KC, Peters will obviously blanket Marshall, but I think Decker and Enunwa can win matchups. I also think if we can get Forte in space, he'll represent a mismatch in coverage. I don't think it makes sense to run into the box.

Honestly, this game could just come down to which team protects their QB best, and doesn't miss field goals. 

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think this is the road game we need to win, to compensate for peeing down our legs at home vs. Bengals. I want to think we match up well vs. KC, Peters will obviously blanket Marshall, but I think Decker and Enunwa can win matchups. I also think if we can get Forte in space, he'll represent a mismatch in coverage. I don't think it makes sense to run into the box.

Honestly, this game could just come down to which team protects their QB best, and doesn't miss field goals. 

Turnovers.  If Fitz can take care of the ball vs. a good pass rush and a very opportunistic secondary, the Jets should win even playing in one of the toughest stadiums in the league.  They are the superior team from a talent perspective.

Fitzpatrick, historically has played well against Kansas City. Although his last matchup was in 2013. 

AS mentioned here, the Chiefs do not have a vertical offense. Maclin's tough but Alex Smith does not throw the deep ball well. That may negate our weakness at the back end of the secondary.

Chiefs OL is banged up hopefully. They do get Jamaal Charles back, so the stout run defense must continue.

Marcus Peters is a very talented player, but can be emotional.. 

It was only recently, in 2014, that the Kansas City Chiefs had not one single WR catch a TD pass for a full season with Alex Smith under center.

That's been a point of emphasis ever since, as having a QB who takes zero risks just cannot win in the playoffs.  But trying to force that action just doesn't work well with Alex Smith. 

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

is this the game we unleash Anderson ? I hope so

Peters is really good, but as someone else said is ver emotional. If the Jets convert like they did in Buffalo, and our running game forces their CBS to come up & tackle we can get him out of his comfort zone & make him work like a dog.

The Jets showed on Thursday night they may have the best blocking WRs in the NFL. Hopefully the refs don't call tricky tack BS holding calls on our WRs just because their stronger & much bigger than the players their blocking.

A full 60 minutes of chasing, getting blocked & having to make tackles is wearing on secondaries, you could see the Bills secondary (that's the strength of the Bills) become disheartened & started to lose their concentration as there was SO MUCH going on for them to decipher on every snap. They weren't ready for Q to go off, so they adjusted & Fitz went Forte, they came up to stop Matt, and Fitz went to Marshall & Decker again and even got J.Marshall involved. Jets have a lot of offensive weapons! Look at the Jets compared to KC. KC has Maclin, then you worry about Kelcey in the passing game & they have good RBs. Charles hasn't played in a long time. Jets have Forte & Powell, no slouches, but then have Marshall, Decker, Ununwa, J.Marshall & maybe Anderson if we bring him along. Quincy as the Hback is just as tough a matchup as Kelsey because the Jets still can have Davis helping in the blocking scheme. Whereas Kelsey is more of receiver.

Id love it if the Jets attack in a way that forces Kelsey to stay in to block. Huge advantage Jets. Bills Oline strength was in the middle, which kind of stymied our strength on the Dline. If KC has two of those guards missing again (who is there center?) Eric Wood is a damn good center for Buffalo.

43 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

For sure.  An AFC game we gotta have for tiebreaker purposes as well down the road. 

It will be an even longer day if Revis is assigned to cover Maclin or any other receiver with even moderate speed. 

Like I said before, just replace Asomugha with Revis and Jets with Eagles and 2013 with 2016 and this article will be perfectly up to date: 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9044400/philadelphia-eagles-release-corner-nnamdi-asomugha

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Maclin is a very solid wr but he's exactly the type of wr revis should be able to shut down. 

This is the type of game where someone like, say, Albert Wilson, has a big day.

I hope Jamaal isn't back in time to play us either.  Him being sent on wheel routes all day is a scary proposition, even with the improvements to our LB corps. 

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is the type of game where someone like, say, Albert Wilson, has a big day.

I hope Jamaal isn't back in time to play us either.  Him being sent on wheel routes all day is a scary proposition, even with the improvements to our LB corps. 

Charles hasn't played in a long time. I don't know how much he's been practicing but I would image he'd be a little rusty since teams don't go full speed during the season, no?

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Charles hasn't played in a long time. I don't know how much he's been practicing but I would image he'd be a little rusty since teams don't go full speed during the season, no?

Yes, I imagine he will be rusty.  Still, it's not exactly a comforting thought that the Chiefs might be able to deploy a 2-headed monster of Spencer Ware and Charles on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Peters is really good, but as someone else said is ver emotional. If the Jets convert like they did in Buffalo, and our running game forces their CBS to come up & tackle we can get him out of his comfort zone & make him work like a dog.

The Jets showed on Thursday night they may have the best blocking WRs in the NFL. Hopefully the refs don't call tricky tack BS holding calls on our WRs just because their stronger & much bigger than the players their blocking.

A full 60 minutes of chasing, getting blocked & having to make tackles is wearing on secondaries, you could see the Bills secondary (that's the strength of the Bills) become disheartened & started to lose their concentration as there was SO MUCH going on for them to decipher on every snap. They weren't ready for Q to go off, so they adjusted & Fitz went Forte, they came up to stop Matt, and Fitz went to Marshall & Decker again and even got J.Marshall involved. Jets have a lot of offensive weapons! Look at the Jets compared to KC. KC has Maclin, then you worry about Kelcey in the passing game & they have good RBs. Charles hasn't played in a long time. Jets have Forte & Powell, no slouches, but then have Marshall, Decker, Ununwa, J.Marshall & maybe Anderson if we bring him along. Quincy as the Hback is just as tough a matchup as Kelsey because the Jets still can have Davis helping in the blocking scheme. Whereas Kelsey is more of receiver.

Id love it if the Jets attack in a way that forces Kelsey to stay in to block. Huge advantage Jets. Bills Oline strength was in the middle, which kind of stymied our strength on the Dline. If KC has two of those guards missing again (who is there center?) Eric Wood is a damn good center for Buffalo.

Peters is good but he is young and will have difficulty LIKE MOST CBs with our 2 big veteran WRs (Decker and Marshall). The key will be a gameplan that gives them opportunities to get open. Vs. Buffalo Enunwa underneath was the spark that allowed Marshall and Decker to get into a rhythm as the defense was forced to pay more attention to Enunwa and leave Marshall or Decker in one-on-one situations. 

Having said that, the Jets REALLY need to come out angry on defense and sharp on offense. This feels like a TRAP game to me. It really does. The Chiefs are a good team and they played poorly in week one (barely pulling out a win) and they are coming home off a loss @Texans. They play well at home, the crowd will be riled up. 

Pretty sure Charles will not play. I'm not worried about their run game against our line but the screens and dump offs/short passing game will be prevalent throughout. 

This will be a defensive game and the Jets need to keep their composure on offense and stick to the game plan and run game. Minimize mistakes and limit turnovers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs took some shots deep, but I doubt that will beat the Jets. This is another game that, if the Jets lose, they will do so by beating themselves. 

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

It will be an even longer day if Revis is assigned to cover Maclin or any other receiver with even moderate speed. 

Like I said before, just replace Asomugha with Revis and Jets with Eagles and 2013 with 2016 and this article will be perfectly up to date: 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9044400/philadelphia-eagles-release-corner-nnamdi-asomugha

Disagree completely. When Revis gets safety help over the top he is a very good corner. He can tackle, he plays smart, and he can still shut down a receiver like Maclin, who is nowhere near the top tier WRs in the NFL right now ( AJ Green, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, ODBJr., etc.). Has he lost a step- YES, is he overpaid PROBABLY. Is he the best CB on the Jets- YES. 

Yes, he got handled by AJ Green- one of the best WRs in the game. With a Pro-Bowl caliber QB throwing him the ball.

Did he get handled against the Bills. Nope. Just look at the numbers from that game. He gave up one big play. A bomb to one of the fastest WRs in the NFL. It made him look bad, it made him look like he is washed up. But where was the safety help? Well, there was none. And apart from that, he played a very solid game. 

If the safeties play well and Revis gets help over the top, I expect Maclin to have a very quiet game.   

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Alex Smith is a worse version of Fitz. He can not, ever, complete deep passes. He's a threat to run once in a while, and he can at times effectively dink and dunk, but he is easy to defend. Our secondary should look great in this game. 

No excuse whatsoever if we get beaten over the top this game, that's for sure. 

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Disagree completely. When Revis gets safety help over the top he is a very good corner. He can tackle, he plays smart, and he can still shut down a receiver like Maclin, who is nowhere near the top tier WRs in the NFL right now ( AJ Green, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, ODBJr., etc.). Has he lost a step- YES, is he overpaid PROBABLY. Is he the best CB on the Jets- YES. 

Yes, he got handled by AJ Green- one of the best WRs in the game. With a Pro-Bowl caliber QB throwing him the ball.

Did he get handled against the Bills. Nope. Just look at the numbers from that game. He gave up one big play. A bomb to one of the fastest WRs in the NFL. It made him look bad, it made him look like he is washed up. But where was the safety help? Well, there was none. And apart from that, he played a very solid game. 

If the safeties play well and Revis gets help over the top, I expect Maclin to have a very quiet game.   

Maclin hasn't looked that good these past two games anyway. Don't know what Charles has left in the tank but I expect him to have a lackluster showing vs. our D line.

Jets defense started the season vs Dalton who has gotten better every year. Then had to deal with the feet & long ball arm of Tyrod. Well, now we get back to normalcy in the sense that our safeties shouldn't have to play so damn deep, and we'll have more guys up to help stymie this short passing game. We'll see how it plays out. Without Charles at 100% this team isn't nearly as explosive. They definitely are a MOVE THE CHAINS team so our 3rd down defense will be very telling on Sunday which way this game will turn. I can't believe I'm saying this but you give Fitzy & this group a lot of offensive possessions they will get into a great groove & wear your defense down.

8 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Alex Smith is a worse version of Fitz. He can not, ever, complete deep passes. He's a threat to run once in a while, and he can at times effectively dink and dunk, but he is easy to defend. Our secondary should look great in this game. 

Smith runs quite a bit and can extend drives.

TE Kelce will kill you if he gets loose. RB Ware is the Brian Westbrook of KC.

13 hours ago, Savage69 said:

With the Rams beating the Seahawks 9-3 and the Vikes beating the Packers 17-14 any team can lose on a given day..For the Hawks this was their 2nd poor showing in 2 weeks just getting by the Fins last week 12-10..

Minnesota is a legit SB threat IMO.

13 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Minnesota is a legit SB threat IMO.

The O-line will really need to hold up for Minn. to be a SB contender. I don't think they will. And AP is hobbled- not sure how long he will be out but, again, even whe he comes back, I don't have faith that their O-line will get much of a push for him to have the big season Minn. will need out of him to go deep into the playoffs.  

On September 19, 2016 at 7:47 AM, NYs Stepchild said:

Both of KC's guards were out. Hopefully they're still out next week. A Smith likes to feel comfortable in the pocket. We cannot let him stay comfortable in the pocket. 

Do we know the status of their guards this week.  Would be tough to face our D-line with backup guards.  I would think we wouldn't have to blitz at all if that's the case.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Do we know the status of their guards this week.  Would be tough to face our D-line with backup guards.  I would think we wouldn't have to blitz at all if that's the case.

No. I even scoured the comments of the Chief's blog. We may know more tomorrow. Don't know about Charles either yet. 

On 9/19/2016 at 9:44 AM, PepPep said:

Every single CB in this league will look good if you give them safety help over the top on every play.  The whole idea about having a #1 CB who you pay a ton of money to is to have a guy that doesn't need help over the top.  You give REvis help over the top and you get no help over the top for your other CB who allegedly is not as good as REvis. You also have a tougher time coveringTE's and RB's if you have to add over the top safety play all the time.

A Revis that looks good only when he has help over the top = mediocre CB that we will cut right after the season.

Archived