What's the real reason Petty isn't getting the nod?

jett

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think you risk "losing" vets when you keep putting out a bum that throws 2-3 int's a game, and lots of them in the red zone. That's how you lose a team. If Bowles is willing to sink or swim with a turd like Fitz, then he probably isn't HC material. 

This is exactly whats going on.  The defense is sick and tired of leaving it all on the field for Ryan Fitzpatrick to either lead us to a FG or throw an INT. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

This is exactly whats going on.  The defense is sick and tired of leaving it all on the field for Ryan Fitzpatrick to either lead us to a FG or throw an INT. 

at this point it's an insult to petty that bowles says fitz gives them the best chance to win.  i'd love to see an anonymous poll of the team on this one.

2 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

You never want to rush a quarterback into playing.  He has to be able to show to the coaches that he can: protect the ball in the red zone, scan the entire field for his receivers, never lock on to one guy, don't force balls into double and triple coverage, and learn from his mistakes and not do the same things over and over.  Some guys need more time to develop.

He obviously hasn't mastered that yet. He needs more practice time. Thats why Fitz should SIT on Sunday. 

Well played. :) 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Like I said, this isnt a trivial thing.  Todd is a moron.  When you dont hold people accountable, they walk all over you.  Why should anyone care how they play when it doesnt matter and he doesnt care?  You can suck something awful and Todd will still trot you back out there, no questions asked.  

So why should 1 player on the team care what they do or how they perform when its clear as day Todd doesnt care and therefore, your job is safe? 

I think Bowles lost this team when he trotted Fitz back out there in the 2nd half of the Kansas City game. If Bowles was white there is no doubt in my mind the African American players would have thought he had to be racist not giving the Geno the ball in the 2nd half.

3 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

You never want to rush a quarterback into playing.  He has to be able to show to the coaches that he can: protect the ball in the red zone, scan the entire field for his receivers, never lock on to one guy, don't force balls into double and triple coverage, and learn from his mistakes and not do the same things over and over.  Some guys need more time to develop.

He obviously hasn't mastered that yet. He needs more practice time. Thats why Fitz should SIT on Sunday. 

LOL!

3 hours ago, section314 said:

I think you risk "losing" vets when you keep putting out a bum that throws 2-3 int's a game, and lots of them in the red zone. That's how you lose a team. If Bowles is willing to sink or swim with a turd like Fitz, then he probably isn't HC material. 

Maybe QBs make the best coaches.  AT least they know the real value of QBing.  They can also put themselves in the head of the opposition QB.  Blowes has no clue about QBs

3 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

That makes sense from a fan perspective, but Bowles may be of the opinion that the season is still salvagable and if Fitz can go he will. I'll give Fitz this...he is tough, but tough and available is NOT what Jets fans want right now. We want a look into the future at QB position, not a guy we know is playing out the string and will not be back next year. Bowles himself may not be back if this team continues to be divided, which it surely is. I expect a locker room fight pretty soon which will spotlight to the NFL world just how badly Todd Bowles has handled things with his OC and his defense and his team as a whole.

Bowles logic is inescapable:  Fitz has already lost 6 games for them this year.  Duh.  How does it follow? And why did Macc determine that it was okay to throw away another year on someone like Fitz.  We are going nowhere. Make something of the journey.  He could have used Geno for a while and then tried Petty.Geno is gone after this year.   Would our record be different than it is?  I doubt it.  Geno can lose just like Fitz, maybe better.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Like I said, this isnt a trivial thing.  Todd is a moron.  When you dont hold people accountable, they walk all over you.  Why should anyone care how they play when it doesnt matter and he doesnt care?  You can suck something awful and Todd will still trot you back out there, no questions asked.  

So why should 1 player on the team care what they do or how they perform when its clear as day Todd doesnt care and therefore, your job is safe? 

Because none of this is true?  Because not having a viable substitute player for one who is struggling doesn't translate into no one is accountable in any language, any definition.  You assume Petty is ready, knows enough to play.  And work backwards from there.   Players see him practice, if it's a struggle they know why Fitz is playing.  The rest is fan speak for I want to see Petty, NOW

10 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Maybe QBs make the best coaches.  AT least they know the real value of QBing.  They can also put themselves in the head of the opposition QB.  Blowes has no clue about QBs

I was thinking along similar lines just now:

How many here on this message board believe that if our HC was a former OC rather than a former DC that a QB switch would be a done deal?  I do, for one.

I pray our next HC comes from the offense side.   

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

You do realize that just yesterday Ryan Fitzpatrick drove the Jets down the field with big throws in the fourth quarter to lead a comeback, right?

If special teams made a tackle, we'd be in the middle of a 3-0 run, we'd be looking at 5-5 after 1-5, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

SAR I

Did he?  Drive the field? Or was he handed the ball at the Miami 20 after their punter dropped a snap----shortly after he threw a pathetic red zone INT?

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

How many here on this message board believe that if our HC was a former OC rather than a former DC that a QB switch would be a done deal?  I do, for one.

he'll bench fitz for geno, who we all know sucks, but won't go to petty as fitz continues to throw terrible ints.  i'd love to hear what mccags has to say about all of this.  he's lucky, he doesn't have to talk to the media.

Just now, jack48 said:

Did he?  Drive the field? Or was he handed the ball at the Miami 20 after their punter dropped a snap----shortly after he threw a pathetic red zone INT?

the punter dropping the ball and the jets scoring and the dolphins kickoff td negated each other, 2 terrible special teams plays that deserved to result in tds.  the ints are separate from this.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the punter dropping the ball and the jets scoring and the dolphins kickoff td negated each other, 2 terrible special teams plays that deserved to result in tds.  the ints are separate from this.

my point was that he did not drive the field making clutch throws.  He did throw a red zone INT---par for the course with him.  The TD we scored came on a gift.

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because none of this is true?  Because not having a viable substitute player for one who is struggling doesn't translate into no one is accountable in any language, any definition.  You assume Petty is ready, knows enough to play.  And work backwards from there.   Players see him practice, if it's a struggle they know why Fitz is playing.  The rest is fan speak for I want to see Petty, NOW

I'm sorry, what specifically isnt true?  

Fact.  Todd Bowles is a moron.

Fact.  Fitz is the worst QB in the league and no 1 player hurts his team more.

Fact.  Petty dressed, if he were not healthy, they would have found another QB to play back up.

Fact.  You cant get worse than Fitz.

What's the worst that can happen?  Petty throws some picks and losses some games?  Explain how that's different please. 

3 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

lol

27 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I don't.

Lets not be naive, the Jets Offense is run by Chan Gaily, not by Bowles.  Bowles isn't making those decision, calling those plays, or in any material way deciding how the O works.

That's why we have a Head D-Co (Bowled) and an Head O-Co (Chan) in every way that matters.

If Chan wanted to change, the change would have been made.

So we should ask....why does Chan not want a change?

Does he just not trust kids?

Does he really believe in Fitz, even now?

What is it?

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't.

Lets not be naive, the Jets Offense is run by Chan Gaily, not by Bowles.  Bowles isn't making those decision, calling those plays, or in any material way deciding how the O works.

That's why we have a Head D-Co (Bowled) and an Head O-Co (Chan) in every way that matters.

If Chan wanted to change, the change would have been made.

So we should ask....why does Chan not want a change?

Does he just not trust kids?

Does he really believe in Fitz, even now?

What is it?

Yes...that's exactly what we should be asking. These guys(Bowles and chan) still have OLD Parcells in them. Parcells was willing to put more trust in some young guns when he saw the writing on the wall.

and when he knew the game was changing, he changed with it. It's time for petty, ya bunch of maroons!!!

4 hours ago, varjet said:

Woody must be behind this somehow.  It has to be killing him that he spent $12mm on a QB that is the worst in the league.  That is not franchise starter money, but plenty make less.

You just have to keep looking at the Broncos.  They were wasting money on a stopgap.  They have a top defense and receivers, and were going to play Sanchez, Siemian and Lynch until they figured out the QB thing.  Sanchez at like $4mm was deemed not worth the money, and we paid $12mm for Fitz.  Sanchez is not Fitz bad.

That is what is scary.... People were all over Sanchez, and rightly so in many cases, and he didn't have the weapons Fitz does right now and he wasn't killing the team like Fitz is on a consistent basis with the worst QBing in the entire NFL and it is not even debatable...

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

regardless, if all the jets were forced to vote today, i'd love to see the results.  

You are just absolutely speculating as to what such a poll would show.

This is all  just made up CT at this point.  Posters here without any evidence believe that the players especially the vets are wild to see Petty out there.  They also somehow think Bowles is deciding to stick with Fitz all by himself, meaning Macc and Woody disagree with him.  They also think Bowles is doing that despite the Jets having benched Fitz for the awful putrid Geno Smith just two weeks ago.

This is all a fantasy.

The Jets will play Petty when the Jets lose their seventh game, certainly their eighth.  Just calm down.

21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmmmm Why?????? 

I think petty will play, too. The CS will watch the week of practice pan out and if the Petty vibe is right (which it is), they'll announce later in the week. God willing, he'll play decent and we get 7 games to change the  putrid existence of our lives.

7 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I think the only reason bowels is sticking with Fitz is because he does not want to lose the locker room which he does have a point.  If he goes with petty and the rest of team gives up than that will not be good situation for petty.  

Well he may have lost it already... 

16 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

That is what is scary.... People were all over Sanchez, and rightly so in many cases, and he didn't have the weapons Fitz does right now and he wasn't killing the team like Fitz is on a consistent basis with the worst QBing in the entire NFL and it is not even debatable...

What time period are you talking about?  Until Sanchez lost his job due to getting hurt in the Snoopy game he was under contract not only for the then existing season but the one after that.  The Jets had traded up to get the fifth pick in the draft, and he sucked.  How is that situation comparable to now when the Qb in question will not be here next year?

Also with Decker out and B Marshall not playing well, what weapons are you talking about?  I would also add the OL is more problematic than at any time during the Sanchez era.

In other words I am not scared.

Just now, Big Blocker said:

Again pure speculation.

"may have".  Heh.

That is right it is but facts are:  star players missing team meetings, players arguing on side lines, players freelancing and causing penalties, miss communications on the field on O and D,  team unprepared for entire halfs, young LBs not being coached up because they make the same dam missed assignments week in and week out, need more facts? One more glaring fact... this team has not gotten better it has gotten worse... that my friend is coaching. 

38 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I think petty will play, too. The CS will watch the week of practice pan out and if the Petty vibe is right (which it is), they'll announce later in the week. God willing, he'll play decent and we get 7 games to change the  putrid existence of our lives.

Hmmmmm while I would hope that you are right but look at what Decker is saying....

Injured Jets WR Eric Decker said it's not time for Bryce Petty, and he believes other players agree. "I don't think that's the right decision," he said. "That's why Coach is keeping Ryan (Fitzpatrick) in there and I would think a lot of guys feel the same way as well. ... You can't just throw the towel in and say, 'OK, all right, let's get ready for next year.' As a competitor, that's not how you think, that's not how you operate. Going to work each day with that kind of mentality, why even go to work?"

I think that it is embarrassing that the players are sitting here saying that Petty is no good; and that the worst starting QB play in the NFL is not enough to get your butt sat on the bench, if this is the case then WHY IS PETTY ON THE TEAM!!!!

FITZ SUCKS THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the worst type of player coach that Bowles is revealing himself to be, that is, one unwilling to sit horrific play. 

If you as a HC don't have answers for the most important position on the field, the QB, then you CAN'T be a HC in the NFL, Period!!!!

Parcells sat a lowly performing Mirer.  Mirer wasn't awful, Fitz is awful.  Ray Lucas who was ST player could hardly be seen as being superior to a 4th round QB draft pick was elevated by Parcells and rightly so!!!!

If I was Petty I would be pissed. I would say  "Man I worked my Butt off just like every other man on this team, no one gave me anything and i am winner count on it  Let's see who has the same will to win as me."

14 hours ago, Nick Blitz said:

You would hope that guys would rally around the young guy and give him a boost and y'know be decent human beings, I don't understand this perceived locker room loyalty to Fitz.

Nope not hsppenning ...saw tweet from Decker slreadt saying no Petty

13 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The locker room can't believe anyone else is worse than fitz. Most of the players are coming back, fitz is not. They all want to see if this kid petty is going to give them something to look forward to. They know playoffs are out, and fitz is only playing in hopes of getting another NFL contract next yr.. Petty will be a big boost to the lockeroom

Players already revolting against petty

15 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm while I would hope that you are right but look at what Decker is saying....

Injured Jets WR Eric Decker said it's not time for Bryce Petty, and he believes other players agree. "I don't think that's the right decision," he said. "That's why Coach is keeping Ryan (Fitzpatrick) in there and I would think a lot of guys feel the same way as well. ... You can't just throw the towel in and say, 'OK, all right, let's get ready for next year.' As a competitor, that's not how you think, that's not how you operate. Going to work each day with that kind of mentality, why even go to work?"

I think that it is embarrassing that the players are sitting here saying that Petty is no good; and that the worst starting QB play in the NFL is not enough to get your butt sat on the bench, if this is the case then WHY IS PETTY ON THE TEAM!!!!

FITZ SUCKS THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the worst type of player coach that Bowles is revealing himself to be, that is, one unwilling to sit horrific play. 

If you as a HC don't have answers for the most important position on the field, the QB, then you CAN'T be a HC in the NFL, Period!!!!

Parcells sat a lowly performing Mirer.  Mirer wasn't awful, Fitz is awful.  Ray Lucas who was ST player could hardly be seen as being superior to a 4th round QB draft pick was elevated by Parcells and rightly so!!!!

If I was Petty I would be pissed. I would say  "Man I worked my Butt off just like every other man on this team, no one gave me anything and i am winner count on it  Let's see who has the same will to win as me."

Honestly?!? **** this team. **** em all.

On 11/7/2016 at 4:55 PM, Augustiniak said:

so going 7-9 or 8-8 with a qb who will not be on the roster next year is better than seeing what you have in a young guy with talent?  sitting at 3-6 with very little chance of playoffs, at what point does mccags' goals conflict with those of bowles?  i believe we are nearing this crossroads.

We are already there. The very fact that sh*tz believes the staff has lost its belief in him speaks volume's about his belief in himself. The old saying is true. If you don't believe in yourself how can you expect others too? I believe sh*tz has lost confidence in his game and his teammates. He just looks lost out there since Decker got hurt and was showing signs of it before that. He looks like a shell of the guy from the first half of last season and now he looks like what he has been all his career. A journeyman #2 starting for a team going nowhere. He is done, can't you see the fork? Like Augy says start the kid and see what happens. What have they got to lose? The season's screwed already.

Archived