What's the real reason Petty isn't getting the nod?

jett

This has been the enigma of the NFL since the beginning of time. A head coach does not think about the future. All he thinks about is the next Sunday. Furthermore, a Head Coach doesn't deal in invariables, he deals with what he knows. Petty may be better than Fitz, my god could he possibly be any worse? But it's not known. And because of that Bowles will ride Fitz until someone with more authority steps in. This is the result of coaching scared for your job at the expense of the long term team's best interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it amusing too many here seem to think the decision is solely Bowles to make.  If Macc and Woody thought Bowles was just being stubborn or as some have said only looking out for himself, they could easily get together on that, and Woody could tell Bowles to start Petty.  It sure looked like that is what happened when they benched Fitz for Smith. 

So why does that not happen now?

I think the answer is what it has been all along.  The three of them do not intend to play Petty until the 7th loss at the earliest, perhaps the 8th.  Yesterday was only the 6th.  So at least one more loss before Petty.

Just now, Snell41 said:

This has been the enigma of the NFL since the beginning of time. A head coach does not think about the future. All he thinks about is the next Sunday. Furthermore, a Head Coach doesn't deal in invariables, he deals with what he knows. Petty may be better than Fitz, my god could he possibly be any worse? But it's not known. And because of that Bowles will ride Fitz until someone with more authority steps in. This is the result of coaching scared for your job at the expense of the long term team's best interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which suggests he does not believe he will be there much longer if they keep losing.  but when mangold/fitz/harris/revis are gone, the entire lockerroom dynamic will change and bowles will pretend to support the youth movement and you can't have it both ways.  we need woody to fix this again.

22 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I hear you, but sometimes guys just play better when the lights are on.  Bowles's stubborness with Fitz is over the top.  It's not life or death.  It's a game.  He should just play the kid...

I want the kid to play, believe me, but I am guessing the Jets simply don't think he's ready and/or the upcoming primetime schedule prohibits this type of experiment.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

I want the kid to play, believe me, but I am guessing the Jets simply don't think he's ready and/or the upcoming primetime schedule prohibits this type of experiment.

SAR I

So instead we start Fitzpatrick why not just forfeit the remaining schedule. 

Saw this on Reddit and love it!

Jets Stat of the Day Week #3: Bryce Petty Has A 100% Completion Percentage When Playing In A Live NFL Game. Bryce Also Averages 9.5 Yards Per Attempt, 2 Yards Better Than Tom Brady's Career Average. Also 0 Career Interceptions. #WeWantBryce

Hard to argue against Petty at this point. :P

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

yes because Fitz has not embarrassed himself and the team in prime time this year

44 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Please, under that logic..the Cowboys would be 3-5.  Sometimes  you gotta let go. FITZ sucks and does NOTHING for this team, this year or next. Let Petty play.

Prescott was rushed into emergency duty, no pressure, and was embraced by his teammates and fans and thrived in that situation.  Put in at the beginning of the season, no other QB as a threat, things were fresh and new.

It's very different when you are put in as a replacement for a well-liked team leader and he's staring at you from the sidelines all game.  To put Petty in now and have this dynamic going on between him and Fitzpatrick and being thrown into a month where 3 games are on national TV and the whole world is watching is nothing like the Prescott situation, it would be one of the most difficult starting assignments a young QB has ever been asked to undertake.

And then remember what his teammates are like.  And then remember what the culture of this locker room is like.  It's almost an impossible situation.  You can see why the Jets wouldn't want to do this to him.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

i think 'being ready' is a farce.  it's all about perception.  bowles saying 'we're down but not out' says that playing petty amounts to conceding the season.  we sit and watch this putrid qb play and wonder the exact opposite - that changing qbs may save the season.

regardless of when petty plays, it's increasingly clear that bowles is not the guy to usher in the new era of jet qbs.  he admitted to not being involved in the offense, while mccags is trying to groom 2 qbs.  typical antithetical jets.  sure the special teams messed up.  sure the defense had bonehead penalty after penalty.  but saying petty isn't ready when fitz lobs a pass into the endzone where there are no jets at all and it gets picked off - this begs the question - is 'being ready' more important that 'being smart' or 'being clutch'?  ready is a red herring here.  it's to convince large swaths of the fans and media that bowles is still making the right qb decision when it's patently obvious he isn't.  he's not fooling anyone, and he's probably losing credibility rapidly in the lockeroom, since players are missing meetings to have birthday cake.  

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Winner chicken.  Dinner.

Also, look at the schedule past the Rams game, we have 3 of the next 4 at home at 8:30 at night on national television.  Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, Saturday Night Football, you want an experienced quarterback in there, not a newb, and it's not good for Bryce to be thrust into a starters audition on national TV for a month.

With Fitzpatrick, we have a chance at winning 5 of the next 7.  With Bryce, logic dictates we'd win 2 or 3 at most.

SAR I

LMAO. I hope you are going to be doing this comedy on the road also.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think 'being ready' is a farce.  it's all about perception.  bowles saying 'we're down but not out' says that playing petty amounts to conceding the season.  we sit and watch this putrid qb play and wonder the exact opposite - that changing qbs may save the season.

regardless of when petty plays, it's increasingly clear that bowles is not the guy to usher in the new era of jet qbs.  he admitted to not being involved in the offense, while mccags is trying to groom 2 qbs.  typical antithetical jets.  sure the special teams messed up.  sure the defense had bonehead penalty after penalty.  but saying petty isn't ready when fitz lobs a pass into the endzone where there are no jets at all and it gets picked off - this begs the question - is 'being ready' more important that 'being smart' or 'being clutch'?  ready is a red herring here.  it's to convince large swaths of the fans and media that bowles is still making the right qb decision when it's patently obvious he isn't.  he's not fooling anyone, and he's probably losing credibility rapidly in the lockeroom, since players are missing meetings to have birthday cake.  

Agree with all this but a small correction.  Players are missing meetings, especially meetings with FREE cake.  That really goes to show you who's working on their golf swing already.

43 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

You say that like it's a good thing. The Jets aren't making the playoffs. Let's say by some miracle they get to 9-7, they can't break a tie with anyone as they've already lost to all their competition for a wild card spot(Bengals, Chiefs, Steelers)

As fans we know that finishing 5-2 in our last 7 is not in our best interest, we aren't making the playoffs, I didn't mean to imply that.

However, if you are Todd Bowles trying to save your career and if you are Woody Johnson looking to protect the brand, why would you not go for the 5-2 finish when it's right there for the taking?  Do you think Todd wants to stand on the sidelines on national TV while the Patriots put Tom Brady and the Colts put Andrew Luck on the field?  When the Dolphins are in our house on the big Saturday Night Football game trying to lock up a wildcard?  When we face Rex Ryan in Week 17 you don't think Woody Johnson is trying to ruin his win-and-in playoff game?

I completely understand why we want Bryce Petty to get validated this year, I am completely with you.  But if you are the coach or the owner, you don't want to go 2-5 with rookie Petty when you can realistically go 5-2 or 4-3 with journeyman Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

40 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Pretty much. Petty needs to play because he's young and Fitzpatrick is shot, but the overwhelming likelihood is that he's terrible too.

I can agree with this. However, I also think that at least Petty has potential to improve. Fitz will never change.

At some point, they are going to have to make a switch. Remember the spark to the team when Geno went in. The team is playing flat and Fitz has not been very good. You could tell that the WRs are starting to get frustrated. And, the D and ST are just flat. Sometimes you need  a spark.

52 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It's probably because they don't believe he's the future at QB.... and to be honest if they "know" it already, it's their jobs on the line....... Bowles doesn't have to prove to the fans that Petty isn't the guy if he thinks that Fitz is the better quarterback.

It's his job to win games right now, that's what he's trying to do. If Petty doesn't play it's because Bowles, Mac, Woody (for the people who thinks he makes all the decisions) don't think they can win with him.

Then why is he on the roster? If they thought he didn't have the  talent to be a quarterback for the Jets they would have never kept 4 QBs. Maybe Gailey is living in his delusional past and still thinks he's coaching the 2011 Bills. Since Bowles has nothing to do with the offense he must be trusting in Gailey. I'm not trusting anything these coaches do anymore. 

Here's how you know the Jets don't know what they're doing:

If they have already determined that Petty is not/never will be the future, as some are claiming, then he had no business being on the roster from Day 1 along with Fitz, Geno and Hack. No need to hang on to a #3 QB you don't think can develop and make your developmental guy a #4. Additionally, if they have made that decision about Petty before he's even played a single NFL game, then the problem is even bigger. Petty needs real-game reps. It's the only way he can improve on whatever he is at this point in his career. 

So it's not that. It seems there simply is an undeserved loyalty to Fitz. They're going with the "Fitz gives us the best chance to win week in and week out" philosophy, but that is meaningless when winning games this year is obviously irrelevant. We should be 100% in rebuild mode, on many roster spots, most of all at QB. You find out now what he is, 

Just now, RoadFan said:

Petty is almost certainly just backup quality.  That's what 98% of 4th round QBS are.  But I want to judge for myself.  I trust Chan's opinion, but not Bowles.

true but how many more killer interceptions can bowles take?

more importantly how many more can woody take?

Just now, JetPotato said:

Here's how you know the Jets don't know what they're doing:

If they have already determined that Petty is not/never will be the future, as some are claiming, then he had no business being on the roster from Day 1 along with Fitz, Geno and Hack. No need to hang on to a #3 QB you don't think can develop and make your developmental guy a #4. Additionally, if they have made that decision about Petty before he's even played a single NFL game, then the problem is even bigger. Petty needs real-game reps. It's the only way he can improve on whatever he is at this point in his career. 

So it's not that. It seems there simply is an undeserved loyalty to Fitz. They're going with the "Fitz gives us the best chance to win week in and week out" philosophy, but that is meaningless when winning games this year is obviously irrelevant. We should be 100% in rebuild mode, on many roster spots, most of all at QB. You find out now what he is, 

plus petty was hurt for nearly 2 months.  just shows you mccags had a hand in the roster decisions, bowles would rather play fitz throwing picks with a knee brace.

13 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

LMAO. I hope you are going to be doing this comedy on the road also.

Right now, the Ryan Fitzpatrick Jets are 3-1 in games against teams we should beat (BUF, BAL, CLE, MIA).  That's a .750 winning percentage against average teams.  We'd have won them all if not for special teams missing two tackles yesterday.

Our remaining schedule outside of the NE games (LA, IND, SF, MIA, BUF) are completely in our wheelhouse and 4 of the 5 are at home, in the cold, against warm/dome teams, not a single team has a winning record, we crushed the Bills last time we played them.

Like I said, the schedule killed us early and is kind to us late.  It's not comedy.  It's predictable.  Just like some of us called for a 1-5 start back in July (ahem) you may want to listen this time.  Remember those who said we were going 8-8 or 7-9?  Well, we are.

SAR I

59 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It's probably because they don't believe he's the future at QB.... and to be honest if they "know" it already, it's their jobs on the line....... Bowles doesn't have to prove to the fans that Petty isn't the guy if he thinks that Fitz is the better quarterback.

It's his job to win games right now, that's what he's trying to do. If Petty doesn't play it's because Bowles, Mac, Woody (for the people who thinks he makes all the decisions) don't think they can win with him.

after a 9 game sample Fitzpatrick has the lowest QB Rating in the entire NFL.    It's not like this is a fluke 1 week mirage, 9 games is over half the season and Fitz has a lower rating than all of them.   

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Petty is almost certainly just backup quality.  That's what 98% of 4th round QBS are.  But I want to judge for myself.  I trust Chan's opinion, but not Bowles.

I hate these types of statements . Why do they have more than 1 round of the draft then if players not drafted in the 1st round are worthless. The draft is a crapshoot period so there's no proof that a 4th rd pick can't be better than a 1st rd and vice versa.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

plus petty was hurt for nearly 2 months.  just shows you mccags had a hand in the roster decisions, bowles would rather play fitz throwing picks with a knee brace.

Here's what an intelligently run team would do, even if you believe Petty is currently a lesser QB than the god-awful Fitz:

You name Petty the starter, and you frame it in to the media that you will not tolerate a QB who is not careful with the ball. Plain and simple. Fitz and his fan club don't have a leg to stand on based on his performance on the field, and it puts Petty on notice as well. You let Petty play and you deal with whatever results as they come. Fitz is a dead end and will not be on this team next year. Simple.

This is remenisent of 2002.  Chad was in his 3rd year but wasnt very good in practice or preseason.  The jets lost back to back games by 30 and Herm decided to go w/ chad.
it wasnt because chad earned it, it was because he knew that the magic vinny had was gone and he was losing the team.
when chad came in, not only did the offense get better but more importantly, the defense feed off his energy and played better.
Right now, the whole team is dead because of Fitz.  
If you are going down, fire all the bullets and go out in style.  Bowles is going out like a whimp which is exactly how he coaches.

I remember calling radio show in Miami & asked why Pennington wasn't playing and the host said Pennington looked bad in practice look how he turned out! Geno Smith always looked good in practice! He, ain't no star

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Remember those who said we were going 8-8 or 7-9?  Well, we are.

SAR I

1) even if you are right, are you suggesting bowles thinks he needs this to save his job?

2) fitz has already called out the coaches, gm and owner for not believing in him.  you'd also have to think some of the players don't either.  if fitz eventually 'loses' the lockerroom support he had last year, does bowles also have to go b/c he delayed the rebuild?

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Here's what an intelligently run team would do, even if you believe Petty is currently a lesser QB than the god-awful Fitz:

You name Petty the starter, and you frame it in to the media that you will not tolerate a QB who is not careful with the ball. Plain and simple. Fitz and his fan club don't have a leg to stand on based on his performance on the field, and it puts Petty on notice as well. You let Petty play and you deal with whatever results as they come. Fitz is a dead end and will not be on this team next year. Simple.

exactly.  after all that's why they benched him for geno in the first place.  this mirage of a meritocracy has to go.  bowles will play his faves until woody or mccags tells him he can't.  that way bowles avoids making the decisions that could get him canned, they are being made for him.  and he could still get canned anyway.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Right now, the Ryan Fitzpatrick Jets are 3-1 in games against teams we should beat (BUF, BAL, CLE, MIA).  That's a .750 winning percentage against average teams.  We'd have won them all if not for special teams missing two tackles yesterday.

Our remaining schedule outside of the NE games (LA, IND, SF, MIA, BUF) are completely in our wheelhouse and 4 of the 5 are at home, in the cold, against warm/dome teams, not a single team has a winning record, we crushed the Bills last time we played them.

Like I said, the schedule killed us early and is kind to us late.  It's not comedy.  It's predictable.  Just like some of us called for a 1-5 start back in July (ahem) you may want to listen this time.  Remember those who said we were going 8-8 or 7-9?  Well, we are.

SAR I

Another reason for the loss is Fitzpatrick missed two WIDE open TD passes in the 1st quarter.  One to Robby and one To B-Marsh.  Those throws were awful.

14 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It seems there simply is an undeserved loyalty to Fitz. They're going with the "Fitz gives us the best chance to win week in and week out" philosophy, but that is meaningless when winning games this year is obviously irrelevant. We should be 100% in rebuild mode, on many roster spots, most of all at QB. You find out now what he is, 

There is no loyalty to Fitzpatrick, they benched him nasty just two weeks ago for Geno Smith for cripesakes.

There is an understanding that we were dealt a ridiculous schedule and that the journeyman is 3-1 in games that we had a chance to win, games that weren't long shots.

Problem is, 5 of the last 7 games fit this criteria and Ryan Fitzpatrick indeed is the best option to win these winnable games.  This isn't a conspiracy.  It's just logic.  I don't agree with it.  But I understand why the Jets do.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

There is no loyalty to Fitzpatrick, they benched him nasty just two weeks ago for Geno Smith for cripesakes.

There is an understanding that we were dealt a ridiculous schedule and that the journeyman is 3-1 in games that we had a chance to win, games that weren't long shots.

Problem is, 5 of the last 7 games fit this criteria and Ryan Fitzpatrick indeed is the best option to win these winnable games.  This isn't a conspiracy.  It's just logic.  I don't agree with it.  But I understand why the Jets do.

SAR I

so going 7-9 or 8-8 with a qb who will not be on the roster next year is better than seeing what you have in a young guy with talent?  sitting at 3-6 with very little chance of playoffs, at what point does mccags' goals conflict with those of bowles?  i believe we are nearing this crossroads.

No one has any idea how Petty will do including the coaches. He was great in college which means absolutely nothing in the NFL. However putting up over 8000 yds. 62 TDs 10 INTs. He has some potential. He's a big kid with a rifle arm. He had good poise in the pocket. I saw him going through progressions, not just staring down his receivers. And he won't be a superstar out of the gate. Hell, Andrew Luck stills makes dumb mistakes but after yesterday's cluster he might be a spark this team needs. I'm completely done with Fitz. Keeping him in week after week it just painful to watch.

Archived