What's the real reason Petty isn't getting the nod?

jett

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

People think doing well in the preseason , against guys who are watching the games at bars on Sundays , is a big deal. Bryce Petty may not be better that Casey Keenum, or whatever his name is.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Even if Petty plays at Case Keenum level its still an upgrade over Fitzpatrick.

3 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

Even if Petty plays at Case Keenum level its still an upgrade over Fitzpatrick.

Sheesh .. I just realised this Sunday is Case Keenum vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick.

That could set football back 20 years. Hey, maybe our D will get some INTs this week???  (I know, I can dream ... :rolleyes:)

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

The line of reasoning is so stupid in addition because not only is Fitz the WORST QB in the NFL he is playing worse than Brooks Bollinger.

And trust me if Herman Edwards had a QB on the bench he thought was anyway in the the world better than Bollinger he would have trotted him out there!!!

The idea that you keep rewarding mediocrity is insane!!!

12 hours ago, Larz said:

I believe the jets were shopping geno and were told the vikings preferred petty, and I'm sure it wasn't a serious conversation, and nobody is offering more than a 6th for petty

This would make no sense when Petty was a fourth round draft choice. Why would the Jets take a 6th?  That wouldn't be a serious offer. And no where did I see such a low offer even contemplated.  

5 hours ago, jetophile said:

I thought Patrick Ramsey was pretty good. Rick Mirer also excellent. 

IMO Rick Mirer was poor no doubt, but he wasn't playing the worst QB in the NFL when Parcells replaced him and that is a big difference.  

Here is a link to that situation, please read it:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/1999/11/11/sports/football-parcells-replaces-mirer-with-lucas.html

And please note that Parcells didn't get rid of Mirer for playing poorly but more so the lack of offensive effectiveness.  

Everyone should pay attention to what Parcells tells you should be looking at from the QB position.  

Fitz on the other hand has been awful, period and can anyone imagine Bowles putting in a converted special teams player as the starting QB?

Come on now!!

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The locker room can't believe anyone else is worse than fitz. Most of the players are coming back, fitz is not. They all want to see if this kid petty is going to give them something to look forward to. They know playoffs are out, and fitz is only playing in hopes of getting another NFL contract next yr.. Petty will be a big boost to the lockeroom

Tell that to bowels and more importantly Chan. ....they old school 

Here are a couple positives if fitz starts. The rams dline is fierce and Aaron Donald is an animal so fitzgarbage will get pummeled instead of petty and we will probably lose getting a better draft pick and getting closer to petty starting.

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

People think doing well in the preseason , against guys who are watching the games at bars on Sundays , is a big deal. Bryce Petty may not be better that Casey Keenum, or whatever his name is.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree.  I don't think Petty will be good but why not at least evaluate the kid before we move on in the offseason?

While as a purely informational matter I think the vast majority of us think there is significant value in seeing what Petty can do in a real game, I am not sure putting him in now is clearly the right decision.  I don't see him up close the way the CS does, and I don't buy that the CS has some invalid investment in Fitzpatrick (see them benching him two weeks ago for the awful Geno Smith).  OF COURSE they could be wrong in their assessment of playing Petty v. Fitz and choosing the latter.  But do I know they are wrong?

No.  Neither does anybody here pretending they know better.

But there is an interesting aspect of the next couple of games to consider.  On one hand and assuming Fitz is healthy enough, you might still say the bye might be a good time to set up a Qb change.  Sounds logical.  Except for two things.  One is under the CBA I don't think all that much actual practice time is available to work on that.  The second is the next opponent up is NE in a national game.  I don't feel very good about the prospect of starting Petty in that game if that's his first game.

The Rams at the Meadowlands would be a better game to start Petty.  If his psyche was the only concern.  But it isn't.

Says here the Jets start Fitz against LA, win, go on to lose to NE, which would be the 7th loss, and Petty starts the next week.

The real reason?   Is it really worthy of a discussion?

Todd Bowles is a clueless moron.  That's the real reason.

There is no possible way that Bryce Petty can be worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick.  There isnt a player in the entire NFL who hurts his team more than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

What is the downside to starting Bryce Petty?  That he throws a few INT's and the Jets lose a Football game?   Isnt that exactly what's happening anyway? You're getting the worst QB play I've ever seen.  There is no harm in starting Petty.  Zero.  

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

There is no possible way that Bryce Petty can be worse the Ryan Fitzpatrick.  There isnt a player in the entire NFL who hurts his team more than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

What is the downside to starting Bryce Petty?  That he throws a few INT's and the Jets lose a Football game?   Isnt that exactly what's happening anyway? You're getting the worst QB play I've ever seen.  There is no harm in starting Petty.  Zero.  

the ironic thing is that he's clearly afraid that going to petty too soon signifies that he's given up on the season and that he might lose the vets in the locker room.  now he's got 2 star dlinemen eating cake instead of attending meetings.  maybe at some point bowles will realize these guys don't care BECAUSE they know they have no shot with fitz at qb.

19 hours ago, jett said:

I don't care how easy the rest of this schedule looks, do they really think they still have a shot? 

A shot at what? The "playoffs!!!???" Your talking about "playoffs!!!???" The Jets are just trying to win a game, but they don't do diddly poo. Offense sucks, defense sucks, special teams sucks, coaching sucks, so WTF do you think they "have a shot" at? They don't even have a shot at first overall draft pick, but they are closer to that than the playoffs. This team has some deep seated problems. When you have veteran players late or missing team meetings more than once, that is an indication of a very deep problem. I think this team has stopped listening to Todd Bowles altogether, with his steadfast backing of ineffective Fitzpatrick and his "communication gap" with Chan Gailey. This team has a shot alright -  a shot at being completely split by seasons end.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

I agree.  I don't think Petty will be good but why not at least evaluate the kid before we move on in the offseason?

That makes sense from a fan perspective, but Bowles may be of the opinion that the season is still salvagable and if Fitz can go he will. I'll give Fitz this...he is tough, but tough and available is NOT what Jets fans want right now. We want a look into the future at QB position, not a guy we know is playing out the string and will not be back next year. Bowles himself may not be back if this team continues to be divided, which it surely is. I expect a locker room fight pretty soon which will spotlight to the NFL world just how badly Todd Bowles has handled things with his OC and his defense and his team as a whole.

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the ironic thing is that he's clearly afraid that going to petty too soon signifies that he's given up on the season and that he might lose the vets in the locker room.  now he's got 2 star dlinemen eating cake instead of attending meetings.  maybe at some point bowles will realize these guys don't care BECAUSE they know they have no shot with fitz at qb.

Like I said, this isnt a trivial thing.  Todd is a moron.  When you dont hold people accountable, they walk all over you.  Why should anyone care how they play when it doesnt matter and he doesnt care?  You can suck something awful and Todd will still trot you back out there, no questions asked.  

So why should 1 player on the team care what they do or how they perform when its clear as day Todd doesnt care and therefore, your job is safe? 

3 minutes ago, FlaJetsFan said:

So we have to baby our QBs while many other teams thrive by throwing their 4th rounders into the fray, come what may. *eyeballing Dallas' 7-1 record *

what does Bowles think Petty is going to do if he starts, clutch his heart and say this is the big one, Elizabeth?  *yes, it's a Boomer reference *

The Big One

The Cowboys situation is unique in that they have a great and young offensive line, and drafted a talented RB and they already had a solid WR corps. In other words they are a ready contender. Dak Presctott came into this unique situation and has thrived. We'll see how he looks come playoff time when nerves get racheted up a thousand degrees.

I see both sides of the argument, but I hate the "because Petty is terrible" reasoning. You don't know that & neither does Bowles until he actually gets into a live game situation. 

From the schedule standpoint, I think now is as good a time as ever to put Petty in. The Rams are not a very good team - You play them at home & then have a by week to build on his hopefully solid performance. You get the Pats at home on prime time-  yes that's a tough start for a young kid, but eventually he has to get his feet wet in these types of situations. Then home vs a struggling Colts team & his first away game is against the terrible 49ers. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Like I said, this isnt a trivial thing.  Todd is a moron.  When you dont hold people accountable, they walk all over you.  Why should anyone care how they play when it doesnt matter and he doesnt care?  You can suck something awful and Todd will still trot you back out there, no questions asked.  

So why should 1 player on the team care what they do or how they perform when its clear as day Todd doesnt care and therefore, your job is safe? 

Bowles is in way over his head. He has no communication on game day with his OC and it is doubtful that he would know how to correct him anyway. He has shown very misplaced confidence in Fitzpatrick, who hasn't been right all season. Gailey meanwhile starts the game with balance and it works, so then he goes pass happy in the second half and the team turns it over and makes mistakes and then the defense gives up. A lot of players need to be purged from this locker room after the season because it is a generation gap team with 20-somethings versus 30-somethings. I think a lot of the 30-somethings need to go, with one notable exception and that is Calvin Pryor.He needs to go because he can't play.

6 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Cowboys situation is unique in that they have a great and young offensive line, and drafted a talented RB and they already had a solid WR corps. In other words they are a ready contender. Dak Presctott came into this unique situation and has thrived. We'll see how he looks come playoff time when nerves get racheted up a thousand degrees.

We have some good young receivers + Brandon + decent running backs too.  No reason to justify Bowles' reasons by overanalyzing this.  This is not the Normandy invasion.  Jets are out of the playoffs.  Fitz is already the past. a dead man walking. Let's see what the future holds.  It's pretty straight-forward.  Btw, I have always disliked Jones intensely, but if he had a hand in drafting Dak, hats off.

2 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I see both sides of the argument, but I hate the "because Petty is terrible" reasoning. You don't know that & neither does Bowles until he actually gets into a live game situation. 

From the schedule standpoint, I think now is as good a time as ever to put Petty in. The Rams are not a very good team - You play them at home & then have a by week to build on his hopefully solid performance. You get the Pats at home on prime time-  yes that's a tough start for a young kid, but eventually he has to get his feet wet in these types of situations. Then home vs a struggling Colts team & his first away game is against the terrible 49ers. 

From a fan standpoint as well. The Jets are at home versus a beatable opponent and I doubt that Petty can look much worse that Fitzpatrick has. The question is whether the OC will call a game that will help Petty - ie a running game - versus making him throw the ball all over the lot against a Rams front that is fierce.

1 minute ago, FlaJetsFan said:

We have some good young receivers + Brandon + decent running backs too.  No reason to justify Bowles' reasons by overanalyzing this.  This is not the Normandy invasion.  Jets are out of the playoffs.  Fitz is already the past. a dead man walking. Let's see what the future holds.  It's pretty straight-forward.  Btw, I have always disliked Jones intensely, but if he had a hand in drafting Dak, hats off.

What did they have to lose. They got him in the fourth round, which ironically is where the Jets got Bryce Petty. 

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

From a fan standpoint as well. The Jets are at home versus a beatable opponent and I doubt that Petty can look much worse that Fitzpatrick has. The question is whether the OC will call a game that will help Petty - ie a running game - versus making him throw the ball all over the lot against a Rams front that is fierce.

Bryce Petty plays great the Jets win Macc looks like a moron for signing Fitzpatrick Todd Bowles looks like a bigger moron for sticking with Fitz all along. 

There has to be a method behind all this madness. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty plays great the Jets win Macc looks like a moron for signing Fitzpatrick Todd Bowles looks like a bigger moron for sticking with Fitz all along. 

Mac could probably put his pride on the shelf and go with the flow if Petty does well.  Bowles on the other hand will completely retreat into his Burning Spear lookalike shell.

48 minutes ago, JiF said:

There is no possible way that Bryce Petty can be worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick.  There isnt a player in the entire NFL who hurts his team more than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I do not understand this "best chance to win" thing.  Against a good team, Fitz gives you zero chance to win.  How can zero be the "best?"

You never want to rush a quarterback into playing.  He has to be able to show to the coaches that he can: protect the ball in the red zone, scan the entire field for his receivers, never lock on to one guy, don't force balls into double and triple coverage, and learn from his mistakes and not do the same things over and over.  Some guys need more time to develop.

He obviously hasn't mastered that yet. He needs more practice time. Thats why Fitz should SIT on Sunday. 

Just now, Happy Clouds said:

You never want to rush a quarterback into playing.  He has to be able to show to the coaches that he can: protect the ball in the red zone, scan the entire field for his receivers, never lock on to one guy, don't force balls into double and triple coverage, and learn from his mistakes and not do the same things over and over.  Some guys need more time to develop.

He obviously hasn't mastered that yet. He needs more practice time. Thats why Fitz should SIT on Sunday. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick fails at all of the above mentioned and he's still the starting QB of the NY Jets. 

26 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Woody must be behind this somehow.  It has to be killing him that he spent $12mm on a QB that is the worst in the league.  That is not franchise starter money, but plenty make less.

You just have to keep looking at the Broncos.  They were wasting money on a stopgap.  They have a top defense and receivers, and were going to play Sanchez, Siemian and Lynch until they figured out the QB thing.  Sanchez at like $4mm was deemed not worth the money, and we paid $12mm for Fitz.  Sanchez is not Fitz bad.

59 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think you risk "losing" vets when you keep putting out a bum that throws 2-3 int's a game, and lots of them in the red zone. That's how you lose a team. If Bowles is willing to sink or swim with a turd like Fitz, then he probably isn't HC material. 

Archived