What's the real reason Petty isn't getting the nod?

jett

3 hours ago, Shadetree said:

Honestly?!? **** this team. **** em all.

I think players should shut up and play.  They certainly should not comment on coaches strategy and how the players feel. I don't care how the players feel, and it is not up to them who should play.  The team have played like jerkoffs all year and it is not up to them to make or influence personnel decisions. I think the best way to make use of this travesty of a season is to indicate to all that changes are going to be made, now and next season.  And how they behave and perform for the rest of the season will go a long way toward determining who those changes will be.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SOJ said:

That is right it is but facts are:  star players missing team meetings, players arguing on side lines, players freelancing and causing penalties, miss communications on the field on O and D,  team unprepared for entire halfs, young LBs not being coached up because they make the same dam missed assignments week in and week out, need more facts? One more glaring fact... this team has not gotten better it has gotten worse... that my friend is coaching. 

How about this, the benched quarterback who as sucked this season decides to call out the owner, gm and coach and no disciplinary action is taken.  Now we have Decker who is out for the season having the nerve to chime in on the quarterback situation declaring that Petty is "not ready" and the players are not ready to "give up on the season".  Good job Decker, way to show confidence in the young man.... This team is a much of a Circus as during the Rex days; they are just not as loud. 

13 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

How about this, the benched quarterback who as sucked this season decides to call out the owner, gm and coach and no disciplinary action is taken.  Now we have Decker who is out for the season having the nerve to chime in on the quarterback situation declaring that Petty is "not ready" and the players are not ready to "give up on the season".  Good job Decker, way to show confidence in the young man.... This team is a much of a Circus as during the Rex days; they are just not as loud. 

A flea circus?

6 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm sorry, what specifically isnt true?  

Fact.  Todd Bowles is a moron.

Fact.  Fitz is the worst QB in the league and no 1 player hurts his team more.

Fact.  Petty dressed, if he were not healthy, they would have found another QB to play back up.

Fact.  You cant get worse than Fitz.

What's the worst that can happen?  Petty throws some picks and losses some games?  Explain how that's different please. 

Difference is no coach will put a player in who isn't ready to play more than a handful of snaps.  

Just as you ask how can it hurt, if he's not ready, isn't a fair representation of what he is howmdoes it help?  Other than satisfy fans?  

Not having a viable backup, the POS Fitz being the best or only option at the moment doesn't mean no one is accountable.  It means his hands are tied.  Not having a viable option doesn't make a coach a moron.  The moron recognized that Fitz was done the day he benched him for Geno.  If not for an injury we wouldn't be talking about Fitz or not being accountable, would we. We might be talking about others being held responsible, Mo and Richardson though. 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Difference is no coach will put a player in who isn't ready to play more than a handful of snaps.  

Just as you ask how can it hurt, if he's not ready, isn't a fair representation of what he is howmdoes it help?  Other than satisfy fans?  

Not having a viable backup, the POS Fitz being the best or only option at the moment doesn't mean no one is accountable.  It means his hands are tied.  Not having a viable option doesn't make a coach a moron.  The moron recognized that Fitz was done the day he benched him for Geno.  If not for an injury we wouldn't be talking about Fitz or not being accountable, would we. We might be talking about others being held responsible, Mo and Richardson though. 

i just don't buy it. I believe Bowles has no control of his team, Mo, Sheldon and Decker are cancers, and he thinks if he puts in Petty he completely loses the team and his job. Petty passes the eye test. This is all ass preservation from Bowles, who should be fired Monday. Hire Westhoff as interim.

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

i just don't buy it. I believe Bowles has no control of his team, Mo, Sheldon and Decker are cancers, and he thinks if he puts in Petty he completely loses the team and his job. Petty passes the eye test. This is all ass preservation from Bowles, who should be fired Monday. Hire Westhoff as interim.

What's to buy?  You're going to argue that a HC would put a QB in not ready to play?  Should put a QB who's not ready behind center just to appease the fan base?  Argue all you want, it's kind of a given, not an opinion, there's nothing to argue.

Two players late to a meeting isn't a lost team.  Better yet the only reason you know about this two is because they were punished through a benching.  You actually have to have a point.  The Jets may have lost due to some shltty play from Fitz and others last Sunday but they played hard, battled back and took the lead late.  But still the fire Bowles, I think nothing through segment of the fanbase blabbers about a lost team.  No one is getting fired, no one is hiring Westhoff. 

12 hours ago, JetBlue said:

What disciplinary action do you think could have or should have been dished out to a benched QB who said that people don't believe in him?  What was the offense?  He's not allowed to think they don't believe in him?  They don't BTW.   What world do we live in that you can't have that mild an opinion?  I get you hate him, so do I, he did nothing.  And Decker?  Like he's the only player to get behind his guy at QB?  For believing what we all do, that putting Petty in means we've given up on the season? 

I agree with the other poster who said if you think these are issues you've never been involved within a team

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What disciplinary action do you think could have or should have been dished out to a benched QB who said that people don't believe in him?  What was the offense?  He's not allowed to think they don't believe in him?  They don't BTW.   What world do we live in that you can't have that mild an opinion?  I get you hate him, so do I, he did nothing.  And Decker?  Like he's the only player to get behind his guy at QB?  For believing what we all do, that putting Petty in means we've given up on the season? 

I agree with the other poster who said if you think these are issues you've never been involved within a team

You really think this type of stuff would be happening on a Parcells or Belicheck coached team?  In the media? No way period.  Having been involved within a team has nothing to do with it.

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

You really think this type of stuff would be happening on a Parcells or Belicheck coached team?  In the media? No way period.  Having been involved within a team has nothing to do with it.

What stuff? Having an opinion?  If Fitz or Decker don't say it to a reporter, what changes?  Fitz still feels unwanted, Decker still wants Fitz at QB for now.  So, what changes, other than we never heard about what they feel 

There's more than one way to treat players.  BP wouldn't let players or coaches talk to media.  Rex didn't care what players said.  Both won some, lost some here.  Actually Rex won more.  Steelers talk.  Seahawks talk. Broncos talk.  Panthers talk.  Ravens talk.  Pats dont.   No evidence that winning is tied to not talking to the press.  

We're pissed, we look for shlt to explain the record.  We've used them up.  

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

What stuff? Having an opinion?  If Fitz or Decker don't say it to a reporter, what changes?  Fitz still feels unwanted, Decker still wants Fitz at QB for now.  So, what changes, other than we never heard about what they feel 

There's more than one way to treat players.  BP wouldn't let players or coaches talk to media.  Rex didn't care what players said.  Both won some, lost some here.  Actually Rex won more.  Steelers talk.  Seahawks talk. Broncos talk.  Panthers talk.  Ravens talk.  Pats dont.   No evidence that winning is tied to not talking to the press.  

We're pissed, we look for shlt to explain the record.  We've used them up.  

On 11/8/2016 at 4:16 PM, Charlie Brown said:

That is what is scary.... People were all over Sanchez, and rightly so in many cases, and he didn't have the weapons Fitz does right now and he wasn't killing the team like Fitz is on a consistent basis with the worst QBing in the entire NFL and it is not even debatable...

The only thing enjoyable about this season is watching those that ran Mark Sanchez out of town scream in frustration now that Geno has busted, Petty can't beat out Fitzpatrick, and Hackenberg is two years away if ever.

I hope you're happy now.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The only thing enjoyable about this season is watching those that ran Mark Sanchez out of town scream in frustration now that Geno has busted, Petty can't beat out Fitzpatrick, and Hackenberg is two years away if ever.

I hope you're happy now.

SAR I

?

On 11/7/2016 at 3:24 PM, pointman said:

Its because Bowles doesn't know what he is doing. Too scared to make the change. He is trying to save his job and is hoping Fitz is the better choice to squeak out one or two more wins (realistically maybe one) so that he can pad his record, damn well knowing we have no shot at the playoffs. 

Spot on man. Blowes is totally gutless, he doesn't have the instincts for the HC job which comes with lots of criticism. But you have to do things your way despite the fans and the media, but sometimes you have to cave in and realize you are flogging a dead horse. Fitz may well lead us to a win over the Rams, so what? That makes us 4-6 going into the bye and then we get the Pats and Colts back to back. 4-8 then pal. Do you bring Petty in for the last quarter of the season? Jets fans can only hope.

Bowles has already lost the locker room, and Fitz is clearly a leader in the clubhouse and is popular with  his teammates, but all of that doesn't mean a damn thing if the team stinks and the QB play stinks even more.  If Bowles is too stupid to change the QB, then the GM should step in.  The team is going nowhere and every game that one of our young QB's doesn't start the rest of the way is a wasted game. 

Rooting for this team is infuriating!!!!

41 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Very tough for a coach not to put his immediate job security above all else.  Bowles knows he has a better chance of holding onto his job is he goes 8-8 or 7-9 and he is afraid to roll the dice on Petty when he can start the guy who got him to 10-6 last year.

Simple, isn't it?

SAR I

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Very tough for a coach not to put his immediate job security above all else.  Bowles knows he has a better chance of holding onto his job is he goes 8-8 or 7-9 and he is afraid to roll the dice on Petty when he can start the guy who got him to 10-6 last year.

BIG PROBLEM Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst QB in the NFL in this 2016 season.  This all but proves he cant adjust or make a good decision. Woody Johnson sees this daily and I'm quite sure Todd Bowles is a goner at the end of the season. Woody Johnson wants a winner not a loser. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

BIG PROBLEM Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst QB in the NFL in this 2016 season.  This all but proves he cant adjust or make a good decision. Woody Johnson sees this daily and I'm quite sure Todd Bowles is a goner at the end of the season. Woody Johnson wants a winner not a loser. 

Run the stats without the Kansas City outlier, he is not the worst QB in the NFL this season.

And for the record, without Eric Decker, without a dominant running game, and with an injured offensive line while playing the toughest teams in the league, Ryan Fitzpatrick is holding his own.

Woody Johnson hired good football men in Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf to guide us to two qualified individuals in Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan.  Unlike you and other knee-jerk fans who don't show at games and don't pay the bills, Mr. Johnson has patience and that's what's needed right now.  Plenty of other games for you to watch on TV.  Season ticket holders such as myself understand the big picture and we are perfectly fine in giving Todd time to fix the locker room full of Rex Ryan malcontents and for Mike to find a better quarterback.

SAR I

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst starting QB in the NFL 2016 season no give backs or do overs allowed. 

Todd Bowles is a moron the entire NFL knows this his indecisiveness and bad coaching will cause him to be fired at the end of the season, cant wait. 

Jesus, you're like a broken record..

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst starting QB in the NFL 2016 season no give backs or do overs allowed. 

Todd Bowles is a moron the entire NFL knows this his indecisiveness and bad coaching will cause him to be fired at the end of the season, cant wait. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick was dealt a bad hand this season.  Doesn't matter, he's gone next year.

Todd Bowles had success last season and to date we are 3-1 in games we had a realistic shot of winning (BUF, BAL, CLE, MIA).  We don't quit on him until we see what he can do these last 7 weeks which are filled with winnable games. 

Which brings me back to...

We can't judge Bowles unless Fitzpatrick starts and judging the head coach is far more important than judging the young quarterbacks right now.  Priority has changed this week due to the locker room dissension.  We need to see if Bowles can pull it together, the QB role pales in comparison.

SAR I

If Petty was never injured and was getting reps in practice since August it might have been a different story this week with Fitz's knee. None of us are at practice, we have no clue how ready Petty is. The response to that which many will have is, "how much worse can it get if you put Petty in with how Fitz has been playing?"

To that I say, its worse if we rush Petty in and kill his confidence for good. Also, who knows exactly how far along his shoulder is in healing? Yeah, lets rush him out there and make his shoulder worse. Petty should and will play at some point this year. This season is dead, the Dolphins ended it and even before that it was basically done.

But when Petty is ready, he'll go in. And who knows? Maybe Petty sucks. Maybe he's having Tim Tebow-like practices. Should we throw him out there just cause? I don't think thats the case, but you never know. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was dealt a bad hand this season.  Doesn't matter, he's gone next year.

Todd Bowles had success last season and to date we are 3-1 in games we had a realistic shot of winning (BUF, BAL, CLE, MIA).  We don't quit on him until we see what he can do these last 7 weeks which are filled with winnable games. 

Which brings me back to...

We can't judge Bowles unless Fitzpatrick starts and judging the head coach is far more important than judging the young quarterbacks right now.  Priority has changed this week due to the locker room dissension.  We need to see if Bowles can pull it together, the QB role pales in comparison.

SAR I

there is no reason to see if bowles 'can pull it together'.  you know how you do this - by getting competency at qb.  

there are only 2 teams in the entire afc with worse records than the jets, the browns and jags.  there is just no way the jets are going to run the table and sneak into the playoffs. it's over.  it's also an affront to keep telling us fans that fitz gives them the best chance to win.  it surely is an indictment of hack and petty if the worst qb in the nfl gives one of the worst teams the best chance to win.

i don't trust bowles anymore.  i think he's full of it.  i think he's lying when he says he still has control of the lockerroom.  i think he knows he may not be a part of the truly new jet era when they finally get rid of all the expensive dead wood and really go all in on the young qbs, and he's leaning on all the vets to win enough games to take the brunt of this season's blame away from him.  he's coaching for his job, and i believe it's b/c woody already had to give him an endorsement which basically means you're coaching for your job.  bowles is not looking to the future b/c he knows there's a good shot he's not a part of it.

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there is no reason to see if bowles 'can pull it together'.  you know how you do this - by getting competency at qb. 

Let me remind you that in the early part of the season Ryan Fizpatrick would be the person let down by his atrocious defense.  If anyone was going to carry on like a little girl it would have been him.

He had a lead at the 2 minute warning against the Bengals on opening day that the D blew.  He had a terrific game at Buffalo that his D almost lost.  He cut the lead to 4 points against the Seahawks into the 3rd quarter before the D let gimpy Russell go yard.  We were down 1 point against the Steelers in the 3rd quarter before the defense crapped the bed and Roethlisberger feasted on our D.

The reason the locker room is a disaster is not because of a weak quarterback, it's because a defense that was supposed to be Top 3 was ranked #25 the first 5 weeks of the season.  They are a humiliation and decided to just pack it in.

SAR I

On 11/7/2016 at 2:56 PM, jetfan61 said:

They have to wait until the season is a pile of ashes... AKA officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Should be soon.

Next 2 weeks are bad.   Rams have  real good D Line, and we are missing half of our O Line.  Then the Pats.  Never give someone their first start against BB.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

there are only 2 teams in the entire afc with worse records than the jets, the browns and jags.  there is just no way the jets are going to run the table and sneak into the playoffs. it's over.  it's also an affront to keep telling us fans that fitz gives them the best chance to win.  it surely is an indictment of hack and petty if the worst qb in the nfl gives one of the worst teams the best chance to win

Playoffs?  No one is thinking playoffs.

The Jets and their fans knew how hard the schedule was, we were underdogs in the first 6 games, 3-3 was the miracle longshot, it didn't happen.

The Jets are, however, 3-1 in games we had the ability to win, 3-1 in games that replicated last year's 5-0 run.  So before we declare this team over and throw a grenade in it to rebuild again next year, let's see who is good and who isn't now that we have home games and now that we consistently play a fairer schedule.

I agree that it would be great to see Petty.  But if the Jets can go 8-8, have some of the young players rise up and have our team feeling optimistic in the offseason, and show that our coaching staff can rebound from a fractured locker room, that's a successful season.  We can validate Petty next year.  No one wants another upheaval of our coaching staff and more rookie head coaching growing pains.

SAR I

It is Woody's obligation to assure Bowles that his job would not suffer one iota should he start Petty to see what we have in him.  And is only good advice if, and only if, Petty is ready to play.  If not he continues to sit to argue otherwise is insanity!!

The only question I have is how could the Jets have essentially two work in project QBs on their roster when they are carrying four QBs!!!!

That makes ZERO sense!!

As an organization you must plan better than that period....

I'm thinking they give Petty the month of December.  A 4-5 game sample size for Petty is a good tryout for next season. Based on what I've seen of him so far he looks like a prospect. And a candidate for starter next season. If he doesn't impress them they will go after someone in the off season. My hope is they don't draft another Qb but they sign a vet FA. 

34 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm thinking they give Petty the month of December.  A 4-5 game sample size for Petty is a good tryout for next season. Based on what I've seen of him so far he looks like a prospect. And a candidate for starter next season. If he doesn't impress them they will go after someone in the off season. My hope is they don't draft another Qb but they sign a vet FA. 

If we dont evaluate Petty and Hack this season we go into the off season unknown and undecided which will further set back the QB situation here do we draft another QB do we sign a free agent. Continuing on with Ryan Fitzpatrick makes no damn sense anyway you look at. 

Archived