Albert Breer on our 2017 QB

Pcola

Its a really interesting draft. Garrett would be awesome if he falls - but he is a Javon Kearse type DE. If the Jets take him they would be smart to keep Sheldon and run a 4-3 imho. Mo can sub in along the line based on situations. There are actually quite a few edge rushing 4-3 DE's and press man corners worthy of a top 10 pick. Fournette scares me because his backup got a million yards filling in for him. Although his backup looks like a top 10 pick athletically too. It's always possible the draft process unveils QB's and OL that the media is not picking up on right now. That seems to happen with a few guys every year. I like the QB from Washington St. But he runs a spread offense and is going to need development. Peppers makes a lot of sense if he is there. You can trade Sheldon and run a 3-4 if you draft him. Then there is the WR's which may be the best position in this draft.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Build the offensive line for the next regime. Little easier to hit on a OL in the first and second round than a QB. 

Sort of.  With all the spread offenses in the college game that don't allow linemen to translate their skills to the pro game, OL is far less safe than it used to be.  The Rams took OT Greg Robinson # 2 overall just a couple years ago, and now he's not even dressing on gamedays, as a healthy scratch.  And he's far from the only instance of that kind of thing. 

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Obviously we need a QB and could use a young premier running back. We have nice young wideouts that look like they will be something going forward. Tight end? Hell if this franchise ever picks a TE in the first round it should be immediately dissolved. Looking at Dalls just makes me think having an above average O line will make whatever playmakers we have or get become that much more effective. 

I agree. They say don't take RBs in the 1st but if Fournette is staring at us there how do you pass on him? Take Fournette & use the rest of the draft & FA to rebuild the rest of the Oline.

We would have won that game on Sunday if we had a running game. Hell, we probably win I we had Decker, we've seen teams can't cover when he's on the field playing in the slot. 

I think it's time to stop putting all of our high draft picks into the defense & start looking to build an offense that a guy like Hackenberg can grow with. We already know that a great running game can help a young QB. 

Now if somehow Garrett falls to us that's another story. We haven't had a pass rusher since John Abraham.

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

We need to address the O-Line this offseason, whether that's via the draft or free agency. The team's best seasons came when the O-Line was dominant. 

If they're going to start a young and inexperienced QB (whether that's Petty, Hack, or someone like Glennon), it's imperative that he is well-protected. 

We should be drafting OL the way we've been drafting DL....If you don't have a legitimate franchise QB you MUST have a dominant OL to win.  Keep trying to find the QB while putting MAJOR draft and FA/Cap resources into the OL.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sort of.  With all the spread offenses in the college game that don't allow linemen to translate their skills to the pro game, OL is far less safe than it used to be.  The Rams took OT Greg Robinson # 2 overall just a couple years ago, and now he's not even dressing on gamedays, as a healthy scratch.  And he's far from the only instance of that kind of thing. 

Really good point you made about the OLinemen having an NFL transition problem as muchas the QB's

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Really good point you made about the OLinemen having an NFL transition problem as muchas the QB's

I can't take credit for it, that argument has been out there for years.  OL play has struggled bigtime across the board.  Might be part of the reason the NFL is trying to do more to protect the QB's with flags year in and year out (aside from Cam Newton, that is).  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Never said it was completely safe but I do think it is safer than trying to take a QB early.  This regime cannot discern talent for the life of them. Hackenburg and Lee? Enough said. They shouldn't be allowed to pick a parking space let alone a skill position player. Let alone a QB? They already did and they blew it.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I agree. They say don't take RBs in the 1st but if Fournette is staring at us there how do you pass on him? Take Fournette & use the rest of the draft & FA to rebuild the rest of the Oline.

We would have won that game on Sunday if we had a running game. Hell, we probably win I we had Decker, we've seen teams can't cover when he's on the field playing in the slot. 

I think it's time to stop putting all of our high draft picks into the defense & start looking to build an offense that a guy like Hackenberg can grow with. We already know that a great running game can help a young QB. 

Now if somehow Garrett falls to us that's another story. We haven't had a pass rusher since John Abraham.

Pretty reasonable take. Yet I really don't see anything coming from Hackenburg but like it or not eventually we will find out.  A stud running back that can run between the tackles would be smart. since we are trying to do it with an old guy who should be filling a LT type role for us at this point in his career.

14 hours ago, Pcola said:

On his podcast today, he went into detail.  Said he believes Fitz and Geno are gone (obviously).  Not sure about Hack and Petty.  Thinks Jets draft a QB high and bring in a vet JAG for leadership.

Not sure if that means Trubisky or Watson.

Also he doesn't think Washington franchises Cousins again.  So There will be a lot of negotiations prior to new year.

usatsi_9611109.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

3 hours ago, RSJ said:

Its a really interesting draft. Garrett would be awesome if he falls - but he is a Javon Kearse type DE. If the Jets take him they would be smart to keep Sheldon and run a 4-3 imho. Mo can sub in along the line based on situations. There are actually quite a few edge rushing 4-3 DE's and press man corners worthy of a top 10 pick. Fournette scares me because his backup got a million yards filling in for him. Although his backup looks like a top 10 pick athletically too. It's always possible the draft process unveils QB's and OL that the media is not picking up on right now. That seems to happen with a few guys every year. I like the QB from Washington St. But he runs a spread offense and is going to need development. Peppers makes a lot of sense if he is there. You can trade Sheldon and run a 3-4 if you draft him. Then there is the WR's which may be the best position in this draft.

Draft Mike Williams(Clemson) in 1st. Game changer.

17 hours ago, Pcola said:

On his podcast today, he went into detail.  Said he believes Fitz and Geno are gone (obviously).  Not sure about Hack and Petty.  Thinks Jets draft a QB high and bring in a vet JAG for leadership.

Also he doesn't think Washington franchises Cousins again.  So There will be a lot of negotiations prior to new year.

Yeah, his name is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

5 hours ago, RSJ said:

His backup Guice would be the starting RB on 99% of FBS rosters he is very good. I've stated this many times , I love Fournette ,  I feel he's the best power/speed back to enter the NFL since Bo Jackson.

I like Luke Falk as well. There was some discussion he may return to WSU for his senior year though.  He is very proficient in Leach's offensive system but IMO its more geared to a pro style than Baylor's or even the offense Geno ran at WV. Still he probably couldn't step into a starting role early on .

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nor directed at you . But wait I've read on here countless times how the Jets are so horrible at drafting and other teams don't make the mistakes we do.

10 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If by some miracle Cousins became a reality you get him, but no way Washington lets him go.

Sign Glennon, let him battle it out with Petty and Hackenberg.

There is a lot of talent in the first round this year. Real playmakers teams could be willing to trade for (Garret, Peppers, Allen, Fournette, Williams) hopefully someone wants to trade up with us and we get their first in 2018, with our own first that year should give us enough ammo to draft our QB in 2018, if 2017 produces nothing.

Glennon is immobile and looked like crap in his college spread.  He doesn't fit our system never-ending the lead feet.

Seriously, now Cousins is some hot commodity on this board?

You guys sound like desperate hags on a singles cruise.

If Kirk Cousins is good, there's no reason why the guys you already fell in love with in preseason can't be just as good.

Kirk Cousins?!

WOW...

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don't think I'd give this administration another resource to spend on a QB. Not a draft pick nor a contract dollar. Let them live or die with Petty or Hackenberg. 

Those are their picks.  Should be their job to make it work

2 hours ago, elgoman said:

Glennon is immobile and looked like crap in his college spread.  He doesn't fit our system never-ending the lead feet.

Maybe the system should be changed then, and catered to what Mike Glennon does well, there is a novel concept competent coaching on the Jets staff.

23 hours ago, Pcola said:

YES THIS!

There are no franchise QB's in this draft. Nothing even close. Its one year they give Bowles and Mac to develop one of these two picks. I think its a great idea.

Every year they say that. People were saying neither Wentz nor Goff were worthy of a top pick. Same for Marriota and Winston. Some years it works out, sometimes not. Bottom line is we need to keep trying. Christian Hackenberg isn't even good enough to put a uniform on during game days right now, behind the worst starter in the league, a backup that can't even supplant that starter at 3-8, and Bilal friggin Powell. Let that sink in. When is the last time a 2nd round QB couldn't even dress? And we really have some expectation he's gonna be anything good, so much so we're building a bridge to him? Come on man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Every year they say that. People were saying neither Wentz nor Goff were worthy of a top pick. Same for Marriota and Winston. Some years it works out, sometimes not. Bottom line is we need to keep trying. Christian Hackenberg isn't even good enough to put a uniform on during game days right now, behind the worst starter in the league, a backup that can't even supplant that starter at 3-8, and Bilal friggin Powell. Let that sink in. When is the last time a 2nd round QB couldn't even dress? And we really have some expectation he's gonna be anything good, so much so we're building a bridge to him? Come on man!!

Pretty much every time there are two or three QBs ahead of him on the depth chart? 

15 hours ago, phill1c said:

Seriously, now Cousins is some hot commodity on this board?

You guys sound like desperate hags on a singles cruise.

If Kirk Cousins is good, there's no reason why the guys you already fell in love with in preseason can't be just as good.

Kirk Cousins?!

WOW...

WOW. If by some miracle Cousins becomes available you have to make a play for the guy. He is LIGHT YEARS better than Glennon who some think is the second coming. Cousins is lighting it up and putting it all together on the field. He is going through his progressions, making smart decisions with the football, and making the Redskins relevant again. That in and of itself is why the Redskins should lock him up to a long term deal. Then again they are the Redskins so anything can happen.

To all Glennon guys. Here's a news flash: IF GLENNON WAS SO GREAT WHY ISNT HE STARTING? WHY WOULD THEY DRAFT ANOTHER QB IF HE IS SO GREAT? The answer? He is not a starting QB in this league. Jesus Christ the friggin guy would be starting if he was any good. You guys think he will come to the Jets and magically transform into a starter after being passed over multiple times? One guy actually said to tailor an offense so he could flourish. Another newsflash: THERE IS NO PRO STYLE OFFENSE HE FLOURISH IN BECAUSE HE SUCKS. Did that spell it out for you? Can you grasp the simple fact that his coaching staff apparently has? He is a B-A-C-K-U-P in this league plain and simple. He is not a starter, never will be a starter, and could never be a starter. If he was capable he would already be starting. GET IT? GOT IT? GOOD. Fer cryin out loud get a clue!

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Had a premonition this morning that we traded multiple firsts for Andy Dalton.

This is the great American sports paradox.  A country of 300 million and football is the anointed No. 1 sport in this country, and the US can't develop more than 20-25 quality QBs FOR DECADES.  

Look how many QB starters are over 30.  Andy Dalton is 29 and he's an above average starter.  But like you say, he would be worth multiple 1sts because of the dearth of quality QBs, which this country appears incapable of producing in an adequate quantity.

On 11/29/2016 at 9:44 PM, Pcola said:

I saw a mock draft that had Trubisky going number one to Cleveland. And I laughed and I laughed and I laughed. None of the college QB's out there today are worthy of a first round pick and anyone that takes one of them will find that out quickly. Jets take Jabbari Peppers and cut ties with Calvin Pryor.

19 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

His backup Guice would be the starting RB on 99% of FBS rosters he is very good. I've stated this many times , I love Fournette ,  I feel he's the best power/speed back to enter the NFL since Bo Jackson.

I like Luke Falk as well. There was some discussion he may return to WSU for his senior year though.  He is very proficient in Leach's offensive system but IMO its more geared to a pro style than Baylor's or even the offense Geno ran at WV. Still he probably couldn't step into a starting role early on .

I agree on both. It looks like it may be another draft where the Jets get a really good player by picking a BAP like Fournette. Which is fine with me.

I will be interested to see where Falk goes in the pre draft stuff. Because while we agree he probably could not step in and start, he has a lot of good tools. He stands tall in the pocket. He is accurate in that 10-30 yard area and he looks past his first read. And most important he doesnt change a thing when pressure is bearing down on him. I like him a lot.

13 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I agree about the draft changing one the season is over - but some years there isn't. Like Geno Smith's draft year, for example.

As far as Hackenberg goes, we will have to see what happens. He is still only 21 years old and should be a legit senior right now. Too early to tell one way or another, only the coaching staff knows where he is in his development.

dallas/washington/oakland/tennessee have all shown that having a strong OL is by far the best thing for a young QB's development, look how wentz has struggled after losing lane johnson. If QB is not in play early on in the draft, then fixing the OL should be the priority 

Archived