JETS are "giving away" DRAFT picks...

Paradis

34 minutes ago, rangerous said:

skrine is playing out of position becuse the cover coners aren't doing so well.  skrine is supposed to cover the edelman's and amendola type players not go up against the larger receivers.  so for him to be opposite revis is wrong.  he's only 5-9 or so.

He's paid like a #2 corner. He should be able to play inside or outside. I don't care about matchups. He sucks inside too. One of the worst corners in the league year in and year out. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Thought the Jets won a couple of games and we're leading vs Pats late 4th since "quitting" 

good gawd. Can't make this sh*t up. 

But teams that have not quit on their coaches do not have players not show to meetings and look disinterested. Don't take me wrong there has been some fire in the team but just not enough. Also teams that have not quit find a way to win some of these close games, that is why I say they quit because they are not fighting or figuring out a way to win these games they are in the lead in late in games

Just now, rammagen said:

But teams that have not quit on their coaches do not have players not show to meetings and look disinterested. Don't take me wrong there has been some fire in the team but just not enough. Also teams that have not quit find a way to win some of these close games, that is why I say they quit because they are not fighting or figuring out a way to win these games they are in the lead in late in games

So in other words like last year. 

So because Revis has checked out and Mo got a fat contract and got fat the whole team has quit? Tell Leo, Lee, WJohnson, Winters, QE, Marsh, Mauldin,Harris,Roberts,Powell, Carp, McClndn, Simon, etc..they have quit. 

8 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So you're touting Skrine for being the least incompetent player this season? Seriously? That's your argument? Buster Skrine is a terrible corner in a terrible secondary and he is massively overpaid. Being the best poop shoveler is great except you still end up smelling like poop. 

Who was the Jets' best CB in 2014, when in desperation they actually moved Antonio Allen to corner (and started him there)? Apparently, being best of a pathetic group means something. 

King-of-the-farmer-ted-2478618-100-100.j 

Absolute joke to want to sack Mac. The guy has drafted ok (apart from Hack, but lets wait and see what he looks like next season), actually looking to address roster needs, and has filled the gaps in our roster with short term contracts on proven vets. The only reason this is a lost season is horrendous qb play, questionable defensive game plans and poor coaching. none of those are on mac. for once we actually have promising young players on our roster that can be built around. decent young wide reciever core, promising young corners and linebackers... thats how you build a roster. Sack Bowles and let this guy pick a head coach please!

Im not writing Hack off as a mistake until he actually gets some meaningful playing time, and like someone said above, QB's develop at different rates and college success is not necessarily an indicator of pro success so lets give the kid a chance before we write him off.

Target O-line in the draft, and let Petty/Hack compete for the starting role.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who was the Jets' best CB in 2014, when in desperation they actually moved Antonio Allen to corner (and started him there)? Apparently, being best of a pathetic group means something. 

King-of-the-farmer-ted-2478618-100-100.j 

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I doubt whomever it was you're referring to was being paid like Skrine is. 

This is not news, Hack is a lottery ticket (albeit a very expensive lottery ticket), Mac had a man crush (and/or bad advice from O'Brien) and took a shot, anyone that watches Big Ten football knew this the moment he was drafted.  

Hack has natural talent but so does every other QB at this level (not special), the question is can he mentally handle the game, I hated the pick but am very willing to give the kid time to see if the gamble pays off...  really wish we had a farm system so this type of "news" would go away

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

This is not news, Hack is a lottery ticket (albeit a very expensive lottery ticket), Mac had a man crush (and/or bad advice from O'Brien) and took a shot, anyone that watches Big Ten football knew this the moment he was drafted.  

Hack has natural talent but so does every other QB at this level (not special), the question is can he mentally handle the game, I hated the pick but am very willing to give the kid time to see if the gamble pays off...  really wish we had a farm system so this type of "news" would go away

Plenty of articles documenting Mcc, Gailey, QB coach, Bowles all went and had a private workout / lunch w/Hack. 

Interesting that the talk is this yrs QB draft class is brutal and scouts said if you want a QB you should have taken one '16. 

Every Jets fan should allow Hack and CS time. The potential reward is too great. 

And for all the"reach" talk. How have other players picked in the 50s-60s last yr performed? 

3 hours ago, Nick Blitz said:

Im not writing Hack off as a mistake until he actually gets some meaningful playing time, and like someone said above, QB's develop at different rates and college success is not necessarily an indicator of pro success so lets give the kid a chance before we write him off.

Target O-line in the draft, and let Petty/Hack compete for the starting role.

It certainly does seem like the Jet's are writing Petty off without getting meaningful playing time.

the thing about hack that you can't say about most qbs coming out of college is that he successfully ran a true pro offense, as a freshman no less.  so there's justification to believe that with good coaching he can run it again.  with petty you're talking about learning something completely new.  i'd rather see hack as the eventual starter than petty.  his deep ball accuracy and elite arm will completely change the perception and culture of the team.  he'd instantly be the face of the franchise.

i've been giving this whole qb thing more thought.  one theory i have for not going to petty is somewhat based on a seemingly innocent quote by bowles a few weeks ago.  when asked about petty's progress, bowles mentioned that hack isn't far behind.  if this is true, then hack's development has really accelerated this year.  and i'm wondering if mccags and bowles believe (even if they won't admit it and give the media another reason to skewer them if it doesn't run on the promised timetable) that by training camp next year hack will be clearly more ready than petty, and b/c of his elite tools, they do not want to use petty now as a bridge qb to hack b/c it's not the message they want to send to petty or the fan base.  i think the plan is to skip petty and go to hack, and they're just being silent on the whole thing looking like idiots with fitz/geno/petty, just hoping to ride out the season without all the clamoring for petty right now.  the plan is hack, they're all in on him, he is more talented than any qb coming out of this class anyway.  i think mccags swims or sinks with him, and i think the offseason will be dedicated to fixing the o-line and getting a real TE so hack has as much support when he eventually becomes the starter for better or worse sometime in 2017.

11 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Plenty of articles documenting Mcc, Gailey, QB coach, Bowles all went and had a private workout / lunch w/Hack. 

Interesting that the talk is this yrs QB draft class is brutal and scouts said if you want a QB you should have taken one '16. 

Every Jets fan should allow Hack and CS time. The potential reward is too great. 

And for all the"reach" talk. How have other players picked in the 50s-60s last yr performed? 

Agree, taking a QB in the 2nd round with big upside is worth a roll of the dice....With that said, the coaching staff has stated, on multiple occasions, that they're not even working on his mechanics this year...and plan to do it in the off-season when he's actually not allowed to work with the coaches.

This is my biggest concern, that our CS doesn't know what the F they're doing.

The farm system comment is a good one because 3 and 4 QBs get zippo for meaningful reps during the season so this 'redshirt' year is not going to improve him a heck of a lot, especially when they already declared they would not change any of his mechanics in year one.

Macc is the worst GM in the NFL he has proven nothing anywhere. 
Woody Johnson needs to fix this mess. 
Fire Macc and Bowles time to move on. 
You would be much happier as a Browns fan, where you can get a new coach every year and a new GM every other. I'm hoping we don't turn into the Browns, looks like you're praying that it happens.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The farm system comment is a good one because 3 and 4 QBs get zippo for meaningful reps during the season so this 'redshirt' year is not going to improve him a heck of a lot, especially when they already declared they would not change any of his mechanics in year one.

he is learning by studying the playbook, he scouts the opposing teams, by most counts he's a hard worker.  i also imagine they're working on some of the mechanics, just not all of them b/c they don't have that much time during the season.  it's clear they are all in on him and they are not going to just throw him in a game.  plus he's only 21, compared to petty who is also young but 25.  hack is so young, he's younger than all the rookie qbs this year.  if he pans out all this pain will be worth it.

Just now, isired said:
17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

You would be much happier as a Browns fan, where you can get a new coach every year and a new GM every other. I'm hoping we don't turn into the Browns, looks like you're praying that it happens.

Whats so different about the Jets and Browns? 

38 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the thing about hack that you can't say about most qbs coming out of college is that he successfully ran a true pro offense, as a freshman no less.  so there's justification to believe that with good coaching he can run it again.  with petty you're talking about learning something completely new.  i'd rather see hack as the eventual starter than petty.  his deep ball accuracy and elite arm will completely change the perception and culture of the team.  he'd instantly be the face of the franchise.

i've been giving this whole qb thing more thought.  one theory i have for not going to petty is somewhat based on a seemingly innocent quote by bowles a few weeks ago.  when asked about petty's progress, bowles mentioned that hack isn't far behind.  if this is true, then hack's development has really accelerated this year.  and i'm wondering if mccags and bowles believe (even if they won't admit it and give the media another reason to skewer them if it doesn't run on the promised timetable) that by training camp next year hack will be clearly more ready than petty, and b/c of his elite tools, they do not want to use petty now as a bridge qb to hack b/c it's not the message they want to send to petty or the fan base.  i think the plan is to skip petty and go to hack, and they're just being silent on the whole thing looking like idiots with fitz/geno/petty, just hoping to ride out the season without all the clamoring for petty right now.  the plan is hack, they're all in on him, he is more talented than any qb coming out of this class anyway.  i think mccags swims or sinks with him, and i think the offseason will be dedicated to fixing the o-line and getting a real TE so hack has as much support when he eventually becomes the starter for better or worse sometime in 2017.

This is a great point and I agree 100%. The Jets brass committed to giving Hack a red shirt year. So just b/c the season is pretty much done in week 13 doesn't mean they will back off of that commitment. I also agree that they are completely downplaying Hack's progress b/c they don't want to put too much pressure on him, they don't want the media to go nuts, they don't want to publicly bail on Petty, etc., etc. But I have been saying from the start- don't underestimate Hack. He not only has the tools, ran a pro offense well his freshman year under O'brien, and showed in preseason that he can make all the throws, read a defense, and go through his progressions (which some vet QBs still can't do- Geno, even Fitz is not very good at going through his progressions and he's as savvy a vet as there is). BUT- he's also a hard worker and film rat. Ever since the writing was on the wall that FItz and Geno will not be coming back, it is evident that Hack will have a shot to start next season.

It's also completely unfair to suggest that Macc drafted Hack b/c he 'got some bad advice from O'brien' and 'had a man crush on Hack'. Fact is, he did his due diligence scouting all top QB prospects. He met with multiple QBs and even inquired about the top 2 draft picks in order to draft one of the top QBs (I may never know for sure, but I believe the Jets inquired about the top pick to get a QB but the price was too steep. They only went after Tunsil -an OT- once he started to slide, providing huge value at a position of need).

I truly do not understand how fans can't see Hacks physical potential and intangibles (work ethic, football IQ, commitment, leadership. etc.). And I don't understand how fans can't see how awful the team around him was at Penn State his last few years, how the new coaching forced him to completely change his style of play and how much the scandal at Penn State hurt their recruiting his last two seasons. Despite all of this, some fans are ready to dump him before he has even gotten a chance to get on the field. Fans are already talking about which QB the Jets should draft in the first round, as if Hack has already proven to everyone that he is a bust. It's insane. People have blinders on.

The Jets need to focus on 2 positions in the NFL draft- CB and OT. Period. Take the best CB and OT you can get in the first two rounds. The OT talent is not great, maybe you trade down and take an OT in the middle of the first round, maybe you get the top OT talent there, I dunno. The draft is stacked with CB talent, maybe you wait until the 2nd round to take a CB. Maybe you trade down, take an OT in the teens and then use one of your draft picks (assuming you now have an extra 2nd rounder) and move up for a CB you really like. I'm all for taking the BPA, and that may end up being a Pass Rusher. But those two positions is where the focus needs to be- IMO. Not QB.          

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

he is learning by studying the playbook, he scouts the opposing teams, by most counts he's a hard worker.  i also imagine they're working on some of the mechanics, just not all of them b/c they don't have that much time during the season.  it's clear they are all in on him and they are not going to just throw him in a game.  plus he's only 21, compared to petty who is also young but 25.  hack is so young, he's younger than all the rookie qbs this year.  if he pans out all this pain will be worth it.

Every other rookie in the world studies the playbook and if the guy is as smart as people day he should have all that kind of stuff down pat very quick.

If they are 'all in' on him it;s a huge mistake and will cost Mac his job.  Other than the fact that I think it was a lousy pick on a long shot, long time developing player my biggest fear is that they will be 'all in' on this guy and we pass up more legit prospects over the next few years as we wait for him to take the training wheels off

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Every other rookie in the world studies the playbook and if the guy is as smart as people day he should have all that kind of stuff down pat very quick.

If they are 'all in' on him it;s a huge mistake and will cost Mac his job.  Other than the fact that I think it was a lousy pick on a long shot, long time developing player my biggest fear is that they will be 'all in' on this guy and we pass up more legit prospects over the next few years as we wait for him to take the training wheels off

i'm not disagreeing with you here.  but as of now they're saying there aren't real good qb prospects in this draft, but i can see them taking another developmental qb on day 3 to groom.  i do not think mccags would pass over a qb prospect if he thought he could be good, just b/c he has hack or someone else, i think his commitment to finding a qb is stronger than his ego, and this makes it way different from tanny.

Only the worst kind of fan looks at the Mo Wilk contract and blames the GM. Nobody - NOBODY - with half a brain wanted Mo to walk. Mo hasn't played up to that contract this year, but that's on Mo.

Fitz was admittedly a bigger roll of the dice, and it didn't work out. But we didn't have a lot of options. Look at our options this past offseason, and look at Fitz in 2015, and tell me it was an unthinkable move. It wasn't. Sure, many said 'keep the money and roll with Geno' - where would we be if we had done that? Geno is injured, Petty, who didn't look ready in his start, certainly wasn't ready week 2 or 3...

Only the worst of fan criticizes a team based on hindsight.

That's the problem. You don't take a guy like that in the 2nd round. Period. You take fliers on those guys in round 4 and beyond. It's a failure if he doesn't see the field in 2017. 

It's a failure if he doesn't become the Jets starter.

38 minutes ago, isired said:

Only the worst kind of fan looks at the Mo Wilk contract and blames the GM. Nobody - NOBODY - with half a brain wanted Mo to walk. Mo hasn't played up to that contract this year, but that's on Mo.

Fitz was admittedly a bigger roll of the dice, and it didn't work out. But we didn't have a lot of options. Look at our options this past offseason, and look at Fitz in 2015, and tell me it was an unthinkable move. It wasn't. Sure, many said 'keep the money and roll with Geno' - where would we be if we had done that? Geno is injured, Petty, who didn't look ready in his start, certainly wasn't ready week 2 or 3...

Only the worst of fan criticizes a team based on hindsight.

You are flat out wrong.

Mo Wilk had one total good year and that was last year, look back on pretty well all his other years and he produced for half a season at a time.  He also broke his leg.  There were people who did not want to make that big commitment at the time and it looks like they were right.

You are flat out wrong.
Mo Wilk had one total good year and that was last year, look back on pretty well all his other years and he produced for half a season at a time.  He also broke his leg.  There were people who did not want to make that big commitment at the time and it looks like they were right.
OK, maybe I overstated it. But the debate was pretty much Mo or Sheldon, and the vast, vast majority wanted to keep Mo. If they franchised Mo, he was gone.

2 minutes ago, isired said:
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:
You are flat out wrong.

OK, maybe I overstated it. But the debate was pretty much Mo or Sheldon, and the vast, vast majority wanted to keep Mo. If they franchised Mo, he was gone.

That I can accept.

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Getting rid of Idzik (which was warranted), may have set a bad precedent.  Teams can't keep firing GMs every 2 years.

Archived