17 FA QB's

kevinc855

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Petty had 2 years to learn and still cant read a defense, apparently can not play in the elements and makes to many just awful throws. Sure he has some good ones, there is a reason he was drafted, but starter material? Nah not happening.

I agree, I'm not sure he's starter material. Last year Mac said he was drafted with the expectation of being a backup. But that expectation doesn't mean Petty cant put in the work and develop into a good starter. I personally dont know, and havent seen enough to say he will.

But I do think whatever he has done this year isn't his ceiling and he still has a chance a year or two from now to be a starter. It took Kirk Cousins 4 years to become a decent starter and 5 years his year where he took his game up a notch. So we'll see. Im not holding my breath for him to be a starter, but honestly a good backup is a valuble player and good value for a 4th round pick.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see how much these QBs demand.  Looking at overthecap.com it doesn't look like the Jets are in a situation to be spending a lot of money in free agency.  Even if the Jets cut a lot of the "overpaid" veterans, that leaves huge holes in their roster which they currently do not have good replacements for.  At minimum the Jets would need to cut 3 players (Revis, Clady, and Mangold) to free up $22M in cap space to sign a QB for $13M, have $9M for signing rookies and be pennies under the cap.  If they needed any more cap space the next guys on the list would be Decker, Skrine, Richardson, Marshall, Gilchrist, Carpenter, Harris or Giacomini.  Paying anything above $13M, would mean that the Jets would have at least 4 starting positions to fill.  If it were the case that the Jets did purge their veterans, they would be looking at the starting lineup being the same as it is today: Ijlana (Replaces Clady), Carpenter, Johnson(Replaces Mangold), Watts (Replaces Winters), Qvale (Replaces Giacomini).  Throwing to Marshall or Decker (if they decide to keep one), Enunwa, Peake, Anderson, Smith, Bostick, ASJ.  Going after one of the top tier free agent QBs might be a little stretch.

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Glennon. After the Osweiller mistake, the price will come down. He will be paid like a mid level starter. Remember, Mac already had interest

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think this fallacy that Glennon is hitting the Osweiller lottery is being fueled by the media & is pure BS. Look around the league & see who needs a STARTING QB. Jets-49ers-Browns-Bears (maybe). Bears already have their ? in Barkley. If Tyrod gets let go its Jets or 49ers for his services as a starter. So where exactly is this bidding war coming from that the media has created with Glennon? Glennon contract will be LOADED with player incentives (games started, playoffs,ect).

Many people feel that this is a very weak year for QBs. So, we should give up the store to move from 5 to 2 to draft a guy that would most likely drop until the 2nd or 3rd round next year based on the QB talent. No thanks.
Most people keep clamoring for a complete rebuild. In a complete rebuild you don't blow multiple 1st round picks to move up on a huge reach at QB. If we are in a rebuild, then trade away this years 1st for a first next year (and other stuff). Draft well this year, and next year use the 2 firsts (and whatever else) to move up and grab a real QB prospect. Or, draft well build a team and hope that either Hack or Petty make due or draft again 2018 the best you can.

Many people felt last year was garbage, and this year, and 2 years ago. Last year you heard calls to tank for Watson. Now people think Watson sucks. We need the best young QB coming out of this draft. Period.

no way you draft a qb this year. None stand out. Plus we need to trade to move up some for the best available. No thanks.

People said Mariota and Winston were busts. Every year it's "no QB is worth drafting". Hogwash. We need to draft the best QB in the draft now. A FA gets us nowhere. Who the hell is stepping in as a FA and making us competitive?

I think this fallacy that Glennon is hitting the Osweiller lottery is being fueled by the media & is pure BS. Look around the league & see who needs a STARTING QB. Jets-49ers-Browns-Bears (maybe). Bears already have their ? in Barkley. If Tyrod gets let go its Jets or 49ers for his services as a starter. So where exactly is this bidding war coming from that the media has created with Glennon? Glennon contract will be LOADED with player incentives (games started, playoffs,ect).

Most of the people who think he is getting that money are fans

37 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Many people felt last year was garbage, and this year, and 2 years ago. Last year you heard calls to tank for Watson. Now people think Watson sucks. We need the best young QB coming out of this draft. Period.

A, not true. This time last year it was all about the QBs. People are pissed that we 'reached' in the 2nd to get Hack, but we should give up multiple firsts to get another 'reach'. And, if that doesn't work out? Then after 2 years with a crappy team around him as we gave up the world, people will be calling him a bust. Or, worse, we wait 5 years to prove he is a bust.

Sucking for Luck really worked out for the colts. You have to draft smart; Easy for fans to cry for the top QB (even if he isn't that good), but you need to build a quality team around the QB. Trading away picks for a high risk QB is exactly how a GM gets fired and a team buys another 3 years of mediocrity.

44 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

People said Mariota and Winston were busts. Every year it's "no QB is worth drafting". Hogwash. We need to draft the best QB in the draft now. A FA gets us nowhere. Who the hell is stepping in as a FA and making us competitive?

Glennon, Taylor with a revamped roster

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

none of the guys on the list should excite anyone.  it also presumes that petty/hack won't be redy next season.  but if they are then the best course is to sign a guy like yates to fill in.

3/4 of those names are better than Petty

17 of those names are better than Hack

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Kellen Clemens might be the most attainable, lowest-risk players on that list. He'll be cheap, he'll be modestly productive, and he won't create drama if Petty or Hack beat him. A lot of that list is tragic. LOL

Ahhh Kellen Clemens... Cant believe he's still in the league. Sadly he is probably the best QB this team drafted in a freaking decade...

21 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

3/4 of those names are better than Petty

17 of those names are better than Hack

Sometimes I wonder if you want a rim shot for these comments or are just trying to start a fight.

Really, Fitz is better than Hack? Sanchez at this point? Cassel? The guy hasn't taken a single regular season snap and he is automatically the worst QB on the list. To steal a quote from a poster 'Good Grief'.

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

We need to bring in a veteran for 17 to take the reins over for another year.

No, we don't.  

If we're going to lose, better to lose with young prospects learning on the job.

And no JAG Veteran is going to win enough to matter.

So our choice is simple:  

1. Stay with young QB's, maybe find one worth keeping.  Lose games.

2. Sign some JAG, win maybe, at best, an extra game or two, but nothing that makes a difference, slowing QB development, and wasting years on some Veteran JAG (i.e. Fitz).

Pass.  Kids only, screw the Veteran JAG's.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No, we don't.  

If we're going to lose, better to lose with young prospects learning on the job.

So our choice is simple:  

2. Sign some JAG, win maybe, at best, an extra game or two, but nothing that makes a difference, slowing QB development, and wasting years on some Veteran JAG (i.e. Fitz).

Do you realize that is what many of us wanted to do going into last season  ?

Sad as it may seem, unless you think Glennon or Nassib might be a bridge the best choice might very well be seeing if Fitz takes a low end one year deal with no guarantees of starting.

Petty has had good and bad moments playing with an offensive live that is missing 4 of starters.

You could see all three battling it out again in 2017

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Sometimes I wonder if you want a rim shot for these comments or are just trying to start a fight.

Really, Fitz is better than Hack? Sanchez at this point? Cassel? The guy hasn't taken a single regular season snap and he is automatically the worst QB on the list. To steal a quote from a poster 'Good Grief'.

frankly it would be interesting if the jets did bring sanchez back in.  he showed some ability.  if he has matured maybe he could be a decent back up.  some guys seem to knock around and then finally end up being successful.  look at jim plunkett or rich gannon or rob johnson or doug williams.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

No, we don't.  

So our choice is simple:  

Ahh yes let's continue to have losing seasons in hope that young qb on will one day appear on a horse to save us on draft day. Basically become the Browns. No thanks

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Take a look folks. Reality is Petty is terrible, we are cutting Fitz and Geno, who the hell knows about mystery man Hack. We need to bring in a veteran for 17 to take the reins over for another year. I really don't know what Macs QB end game is (hoping Hack can develop) but take your pick.

I think Barkley (Bears) has played well and interested in seeing what McGloin does in Oakland.

There is some untapped talent on this list..............

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

That is a steaming pile of dog dung for a list of QB's.

And lets give Petty at least a dozen games before we start throwing him on the waste pile.  Bill Walsh says two-dozen, but lets let our guy get the first dozen in, huh?

7 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Yeah that is why I didn't want them to bring Fitz back.

They could have given Geno the start and let it be sink or swim. If he sank Petty could have gotten a more detailed look. And been more prepared since he would have been the # 2 from the start and not the # 3.

We know Petty and Hackenberg will be on the team next year. We need another QB to come in and compete/push the others. Outside of Cousins and potentially Tyrod, there aren't any good options available. I still think they should bring back Geno. He's a veteran but still young enough with upside to develop into a potential long term solution. He already knows the offense and has chemistry with the likes of Decker, Powell etc. Outside of signing Cousins or Tyrod, bringing back Geno makes the most sense. Plus he won't cost a ton to retain either. 

Funny enough I see people in here bring up names like Barkley, Clemons etc but those quarterbacks are not better than Geno nor do they even have the same amount of upside as him. 

16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Yes.

And if we'd had only Petty and Hack behind the JAG Veteran, I may have been more amenable to it.

Wanting to play Geno Smith was, and is, unacceptable.  And at this point Geno himself is a failed veteran JAG.

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Ahh yes let's continue to have losing seasons in hope that young qb on will one day appear on a horse to save us on draft day. Basically become the Browns. No thanks

Well, we can go your route and sign someone like Hoyer and go 7-9 for the next 4 years instead and be in the same place in 2020 as we are right now with nothing to show for it.

That sounds fun.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes.

And if we'd had only Petty and Hack behind the JAG Veteran, I may have been more amenable to it.

Wanting to play Geno Smith was, and is, unacceptable.  And at this point Geno himself is a failed veteran JAG.

It was worth saving the cap space Fitz took up last yr and this coming yr to sacrifice Geno Smith the 1st 6 games and experiment with the kids the rest of the yr .  This regime was right when it told us Fitzpatrick gave them the best chance to win, the problem was nobody expected them to win . Once they signed Fitzy, he was going to play unless his leg fell off . The way if worked out, everyone else's legs fell off and here we are trotting out that tired old soldier for his last battle .

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Tyrod Taylor is the Jets next QB.

Don't get my hopes up Max. I'm #TeamTyrod all the way.

The last two years I've been absolutely sick that one of my favorite QBs were in the same division as the Jets, and how they essentially got him for nothing. 

You see what Prescott & Smith are doing playing smart, ball controlled football and Tyrod's skillset is irely similar, except with significnalty more athleticism and deep throw accuracy. If the Bills had a good defense, they would've been a playoff team. 

3 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Don't get my hopes up Max. I'm #TeamTyrod all the way.

The last two years I've been absolutely sick that one of my favorite QBs were in the same division as the Jets, and how they essentially got him for nothing. 

You see what Prescott & Smith are doing playing smart, ball controlled football and Tyrod's skillset is irely similar, except with significnalty more athleticism and deep throw accuracy. If the Bills had a good defense, they would've been a playoff team. 

Wow, you have a very low taste in QBs if he's your favorite. You must love you some Bradford too huh?

15 hours ago, rangerous said:

frankly it would be interesting if the jets did bring sanchez back in.  he showed some ability.  if he has matured maybe he could be a decent back up.  some guys seem to knock around and then finally end up being successful.  look at jim plunkett or rich gannon or rob johnson or doug williams.

No....Sanchez does NOT show some ability.

It is time to stop this nonsense of bringing in someones junnk.

Play Petty, Hackenberg, or the next draft pick.  Keep playing them until one of these years a QB works.  Keep drafting O-line men to protect each QB until we find one.  Once we find one, full speed ahead.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

It was worth saving the cap space Fitz took up last yr and this coming yr to sacrifice Geno Smith the 1st 6 games and experiment with the kids the rest of the yr .  This regime was right when it told us Fitzpatrick gave them the best chance to win, the problem was nobody expected them to win . Once they signed Fitzy, he was going to play unless his leg fell off . The way if worked out, everyone else's legs fell off and here we are trotting out that tired old soldier for his last battle .

Agree to disagree.  

A seemingly talented 10-6 team whose backup QB just has a career year and broke franchise records does not dump that QB for a guy with a total record of failure and attitude problems like Geno Smith, who was clearly on the outs with the franchise at that point, no matter what the deniers and Geno-fantasy-world folks continue to think.

Frankly, the "on noes, the cap" argument is tiring at this point.  It wasn't your money, and it make absolutely no difference to the makeup of the tam this year nor will it make a difference next year.  We're not losing on on some make or break player who will ride us to a Title next year because of Fitz, be assured.

Like I said, I'm all for going into 2017 with a cadre of young QB's with potential, and suffering till one clearly wins the job.  The alternative, recycling guys like Fitz, or experimenting with other teams versions of Geno Smith, is not something I want to see.

If we're going to suck, I'd rather suck rooting for and having hope that the sucking has a payout in eventually finding a new legit QB.  Plus, watching young QB's suck is more fun that watching someone like Hoyer or Fitz suck.

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agree to disagree.  

A seemingly talented 10-6 team whose backup QB just has a career year and broke franchise records does not dump that QB for a guy with a total record of failure and attitude problems like Geno Smith, who was clearly on the outs with the franchise at that point, no matter what the deniers and Geno-fantasy-world folks continue to think.

Frankly, the "on noes, the cap" argument is tiring at this point.  It wasn't your money, and it make absolutely no difference to the makeup of the tam this year nor will it make a difference next year.  We're not losing on on some make or break player who will ride us to a Title next year because of Fitz, be assured.

Like I said, I'm all for going into 2017 with a cadre of young QB's with potential, and suffering till one clearly wins the job.  The alternative, recycling guys like Fitz, or experimenting with other teams versions of Geno Smith, is not something I want to see.

If we're going to suck, I'd rather suck rooting for and having hope that the sucking has a payout in eventually finding a new legit QB.  Plus, watching young QB's suck is more fun that watching someone like Hoyer or Fitz suck.

I can respect this point of view even if I don't agree with it . You're right, it's not my money, because if it was, I would never have given it to Fitzpatrick .

Archived