Casserly states you should sign the GM & let him find the Coach

Jetster

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Just said it on NFL network. Didn't Woody consult with this guy before Bowles was hired? WTF? I guess he didn't give this advise to Woody.

Just saw, and heard, and thought the same thing.

It seems like the rest of the NFL has rules, and the NY Jets have their own separate set of rules.

Oh and Marty Lyons yesterday on the post game told Ryan Fitz that he hoped to see him back with the team next season. Yikes!

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I love how Casserly is some genius..... Did everyone just black out the awful job he did in Houston? 

Casserly's cache pre-dates Houston tenure. He's got good insight, but he's an advisor and commentator now, not a decision maker. If you want to blame, blame the decision makers.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Casserly's cache pre-dates Houston tenure. He's got good insight, but he's an advisor and commentator now, not a decision maker. If you want to blame, blame the decision makers.

I'm not blaming Casserly, I'm saying I don't get why Woody used him in the first place, Woody is a ******* moron and we are acrewed forever because he owns the team

Just now, NoBowles said:

I'm not blaming Casserly, I'm saying I don't get why Woody used him in the first place, Woody is a ******* moron and we are acrewed forever because he owns the team

Hiring Casserly and Wolf is a way of placating fans. Shiny objects. Refuel the "hope" machine... then, as soon as they buy in on the messaging, he does what he wants. 

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Marty Lyons needs to get checked out ASAP for early signs of CTE syndrome. 

Marty Lyons is a genuinely nice guy.  Met him twice.  CTE is a possibility for someone that was in as many collisions as I'm sure he has been. 

But using CTE in cynicism is a bit cold.

Many are mocking Jamaal Anderson because of his indecent exposure. To me, that is potentially a very serious sign that JA could have CTE.

Just now, RoadFan said:

Marty Lyons is a genuinely nice guy.  Met him twice.  CTE is a possibility for someone that was in as many collisions as I'm sure he has been. 

But using CTE in cynicism is a bit cold.

Many are mocking Jamaal Anderson because of his indecent exposure. To me, that is potentially a very serious sign that JA could have CTE.

Marty Lyons is a great guy I've met him myself on numerous occasions.

My post was loaded with sarcasm and I don't wish any ill will on Marty Lyons. 

38 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

McCagnan sat in on Bowles 2nd interview. I don't care who's name dried on the dotted line first. McCagnan absolutely had something to do with the hiring of Todd Bowles even if his contract got done 2nd. 

I mean by the time Macc was hired there was really only 2 HC candidates left, I mean I don't think he had the clout to hire the coach, but say he did would his first big decision gonna be wait for Quinn who then doesn't sign with the Jets, and Macc left with his dick in his hand?

1 hour ago, robinjohnson525 said:

The jets should've signed marrone after he left buffalo and he would've brought in Jim swartZ a real defensive coordinator.

The rumors out of Buffalo were Schwartz and Marrone didn't like each other. Seeing that Marrone ran the offense and let Schwartz handle the defense and Buffalo's offense sucked...that would have been an incredibly Jetsy thing to do..instead of Bowles, we'd have the OC version of Bowles.

12 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Just saw, and heard, and thought the same thing.

It seems like the rest of the NFL has rules, and the NY Jets have their own separate set of rules.

Oh and Marty Lyons yesterday on the post game told Ryan Fitz that he hoped to see him back with the team next season. Yikes!

Heard that...almost missed my exit home.

13 hours ago, dbatesman said:

More likely Woody was too ******* stupid to take his advice.

exactly.  The whole idea of BOTH the GM and the HC reporting to Woody is beyond idiotic.  Is Woody that much of a narcissist to not realize that the far better way to handle chain of command is to have the GMM pick his own HC and have him report to the GM?

13 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just said it on NFL network. Didn't Woody consult with this guy before Bowles was hired? WTF? I guess he didn't give this advise to Woody.

How do you know the advice wasn't given but not executed?  Woody does have final say, its not like he handed over the reigns to Casserly and Wolf, they consulted, they didn't operate the business.  For all we know Casserly said to Woody, its a bad idea to hire both at the same time and Woody said, How much am I paying you?  Just do it!

Just to revisit what actually happened...Interesting no complaint w/the power alignment at the time or at all that I can recall during the '15 season..Have at it all.

Jan 14, 2015 ( A Wednesday)...Tuesday was January 13..

Maccagnan was the only candidate invited back for a second interview, and he spent the past three days huddling with team officials at the Jets' facility in Florham Park, New Jersey. Unlike Idzik, who was forced to keep Rex Ryan in 2013, Maccagnan was set to have input into the selection of the next head coach, with the final call belonging to Johnson.

The Jets moved later Tuesday to replace one defensive guru with another, tapping former Arizona Cardinals coordinator Todd Bowles as Ryan's successor.

In hiring Maccagnan, the Jets have changed their power structure. He and Bowles will report directly to Johnson, who envisions the GM and coach as equal partners. Previously, the coach reported to the GM. Maccagnan will have control over the 53-man roster and final say on the draft; the coach will decide the weekly lineups. The lines were blurred with Ryan and Idzik, especially with quarterback decisions.

Clearly, Maccagnan's ties to Casserly played a huge role. Casserly and Ron Wolf, both former longtime GMs, were hired at the end of the season as consultants to advise Johnson throughout the concurrent searches for a GM and coach.

Casserly described Maccagnan as "an outstanding football man, one who is highly organized, and an excellent evaluator. He is very thorough in his preparation and will do a terrific job for the Jets."

Because of his connection to Maccagnan, Casserly took a background role during the first interview, allowing Wolf to lead the session.

Maccagnan impressed them with his cerebral, organized approach and his plan for improving the team, sources said. After the season, they reached out immediately to Maccagnan, who got his start in the NFL from Casserly, the former Washington Redskins and Texans GM.

Maccagnan was a Redskins' scout from 1995 to 2000, and he became one of Casserly's first hires with the Texans.

Maccagan is regarded in league circles as a grinder, a quiet and unassuming background player with solid evaluation skills. Some wonder if he'll be able to handle the glare of the New York spotlight.

He joined the Texans at their inception in 2000, rising to his most recent position in 2011. He was part of an organization that won two division titles (2011-2012). The Texans drafted well from 2009 to 2011, the year they picked defensive star J.J. Watt, but their last three drafts have produced no Pro Bowl players and only a handful of starters.

The Jets interviewed at least six other candidates for the job, all of whom are front-office executives -- Rod Graves (Jets), Chris Grier (Miami Dolphins), Trent Kirchner (Seahawks), Bill Kuharich (Cleveland Browns), Rick Mueller (Philadelphia Eagles) and Jon Robinson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers). They were spurned by four others -- Chris Ballard (Kansas City Chiefs), Eric DeCosta (Baltimore Ravens), George Paton (Minnesota Vikings) and Ryan Pace (New Orleans Saints), who was hired by the Chicago Bears.

http://www.espn.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12163225/new-york-jets-hire-mike-maccagnan-gm

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yup. Someone can really know his stuff for having discussions about pros and cons, yet can still be a poor decision-maker when calls are his to make. Paul Hackett sticks out as someone like this. Probably Mangini as well. Perhaps even Bowles.

What is so interesting to me, is with Casserly has obvious ties to Maccagnan that go back for years. A comment like this, despite Casserly allegedly being the consultant most responsible for the hiring of Bowles, would otherwise appear to be him dumping on Bowles in favor of Maccagnan being allowed to hire his own HC.

13 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I mean by the time Macc was hired there was really only 2 HC candidates left, I mean I don't think he had the clout to hire the coach, but say he did would his first big decision gonna be wait for Quinn who then doesn't sign with the Jets, and Macc left with his dick in his hand?

Sometimes that's the best option like the song say's; You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself..;)

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yup. Someone can really know his stuff for having discussions about pros and cons, yet can still be a poor decision-maker when calls are his to make. Paul Hackett sticks out as someone like this. Probably Mangini as well. Perhaps even Bowles.

What is so interesting to me, is with Casserly has obvious ties to Maccagnan that go back for years. A comment like this, despite Casserly allegedly being the consultant most responsible for the hiring of Bowles, would otherwise appear to be him dumping on Bowles in favor of Maccagnan being allowed to hire his own HC.

Well, did Casserly say this in context of discussing the Jets. Or just generalizing while talking about all the other firings and openings. My guess is the latter. So, I'm not sure how intentional the statement was as a shot fired at the Jets situation.

Frankly, I think it comes back to Woody, listen to a consultant but not actually heeding the advice.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Having a gm and coach on the same footing is a recipe for disaster, Mac is a glorified scout. I'd be so happy providing my coach with players and then watch as he totally misuses them.

Agreed 100%

From January 2014

power structure of each team.

AFC East:

Buffalo Bills - Head Coach Doug Marrone reports to GM Doug Whaley, who controls the roster and personnel moves.  Marrone then answers to President/CEO Russ Brandon, who controls the day-to-day operations of the team and then answers to owner Ralph Wilson.

New England Cheaters - Bill Belichick runs everything.  Director of Player Personnel Nick Caserio (a candidate for the Dolphins' GM position), President Jonathan Kraft, and owner Robert Kraft all meet with Belichick as a four man council for major decisions, but Belichick has final say on everything football related.

New York Jets - GM John Idzik came in last year and quickly took control of the team.  Head Coach Rex Ryan lost some of his power over the roster with the change to Idzik.  Ryan and Idzik report to owner Woody Johnson, who stays out of football operations and comes to the team facilities about once a week during the season.

AFC North:

Baltimore Ravens - GM Ozzie Newsome is the power broker in Baltimore.  Head coach John Harbaugh falls under him, as does just about everyone else on the football side of the house.

Cincinnati Bengals - Owner Mike Brown is also the team's GM and has full control over the personnel on the roster.  Head Coach Marvin Lewis and Director of Player Personnel Duke Tobin have plenty of input into everything football related, but Brown is firmly in control.

Cleveland Browns - CEO Joe Banner has full control of the team, working with GM Michael Lombardi, Head Coach Mike Pettine, and Assistant GM Ray Farmer all in concert.  Pettine and Lombardi report to Banner, who reports to owner Jimmy Haslam.  Haslam is not a day-to-day owner, allowing the football operations people to run the team.

Pittsburgh Steelers - The Rooney family has the power in Pittsburgh, but the stability within the front office and coaching staff is what defines the Steelers.  GM Kevin Colbert, Head Coach Mike Tomlin, and Director of Football and Business Administration Omar Kahn answer to team President Art Rooney II

AFC South:

Houston Texans - A year of change this season with the hire of Bill O'Brien as head coach after eight seasons of Gary Kubiak at the helm.  Executive Vice President of Football operations and GM Rick Smith has complete control of the roster and reports to Chief Operating Officer Cal McNair.  O'Brien will likely also report to Cal McNair, who runs the day-to-day operations of the team as his father, owner Robert McNair, focuses on outside businesses.

Indianapolis Colts- GM Ryan Grigson controls the 53-man roster, with Head Coach Chuck Pagano providing plenty of input.  Owner Jim Irsay is in the building every day, and has experience of being an GM in the past, and is a part of all major decisions, but typically tries to remain hands off unless he is needed.

Jacksonville Jaguars - GM David Caldwell has full roster and personnel control, with Gus Bradley working as a partner.  Owner Shahid Kahn's son Tony runs an analytical staff that assists in draft preparation.  Everyone answers directly to the elder Kahn.

Tennessee Titans - GM Ruston Webster has full roster control, while Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt and his assistant coaches will have input into the personnel decisions.  Vin Marino serves as the Vice President of Football Administration and is the primary contract negotiator and salary cap manager.  Everyone reports to the group of President Tommy Smith, and Co-Charipersons Susie Adams Smith and Amy Adams Hunt.

AFC West:

Denver Broncos - President Joe Ellis runs the majority of the team's day-to-day operations for owner Pat Bolen, while Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway has complete control of the football operations and roster control.  Head Coach John Fox answers to Elway.

Kansas City Chiefs - This past season was the first time the Head Coach was equal to the GM in the reporting structure, with Andy Reid and John Dorsey both answering directly to Chairman and CER Clark Hunt.  Dorsey controls the 53-man roster, Reid controls the on-the-field football, and President Mark Donovan runs the business side of the team.

Oakland Raiders - After the death of Al Davis, his son Mark completely changed the team's power structure, giving full personnel and football operations control to GM Reggie McKenzie.  McKenize has all of the power, including hiring and firing coaches and final say on all football operations decisions.  Head coach Dennis Allen reports to McKenzie.  Mark Davis is away from the team most of the time, but stays in contact with McKenzie, occasionally stepping into the hands-on role of his father, but trying to allow his GM to do his job.

San Diego Chargers - GM Tom Telesco has full roster control, while he and Head Coach Mike McCoy both answer to President/Chairman Dean Spanos. John Spanos serves as the team's Executive Vice President of Football Operations, with Ed McGuire the Executive Vice President of Football Administration, both of whom also answer to Dean Spanos.  A.G. Spanos runs the business side of the team, with both Dean and A.G. answer to their father, owner Alex Spanos.

NFC East:

Dallas Cowboys - Owner/GM Jerry Jones runs everything and makes all decisions on both the football and administrative side of the franchise, with Head Coach Jason Garrett and Chief Operating Officer Stephen Jones reporting to him

New York Giants - GM Jerry Reese controls all of the 53-man roster and draft decisions, while Head Coach Tom Coughlin decides the game day roster; both report directly to owner John Mara

Philadelphia Eagles - GM Howie Roseman and Head Coach Chip Kelly reported directly to owner Jeffrey Lurie at best guess; Philadelphia is very secretive of their structure

Washington Redskins - Mike Shanahan was the primary power broker last year, with him and GM Bruce Allen reporting directly to owner Daniel Snyder, who is a hands on owner; best guess as team transitions to Jay Gruden is Allen will gain power and serve as the primary leader on the football side of the team

NFC North:

Chicago Bears - Head Coach Marc Tresman answers to GM Phil Emery who answers to President and CEO Ted Phillips who answers to Virginia Halas McCaskey; Emery has full control of the roster and personnel matters

Detroit Lions - Jim Caldwell is setting up his staff as the new head coach with Martin Mayhew working as the GM; how they report to President Tom Lewand and owner William Clay Ford has not been identified

Green Bay Packers - Head Coach Mike McCarthy reports to GM Ted Thompson who reports to President and CEO Mark Murphy

Minnesota Vikings - Mike Zimmer was just hired this month as the team's new head coach.  Assuming the team stays with their same structure as last year, Zimmer will report to GM Rick Spielman who reports to owners Zygi and Mark Wilf

NFC South:

Atlanta Falcons - GM Thomas Dimitroff controls all of the 53-man roster and draft decisions, while Head Coach Mike Smith decides the game day roster; Smith reports to Dimitroff who reports to owner Arthur Blank

Carolina Panthers - Head Coach Ron Rivera reports to GM Dave Gettleman who reports to owner Jerry Richardson; Richardson does not operate the team day-to-day, instead communicates about once a week with Gettleman

New Orleans Saints - GM Mickey Loomis has final say over the roster, though works with coach Sean Payton on most decisions; Payton reports to Loomis who reports to Rita Benson LeBlanc who is Vice Chairman and part owner.  Tom Benson is involved, but not to the degree at which he used to be.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - The Buccaneers replaced both their GM and Head Coach this offseason, giving full roster decision power to head coach Lovie Smith then hiring Jason Licht to be their GM.  How exactly they report to the owning Glazer family is not clear yet.

NFC West:

Arizona Cardinals - Head Coach Bruce Arians answers to GM Steve Keim who reports to Michael Bidwell, the team President and runs the team day-to-day for his father, owner Bill Bidwell.

San Francisco 49ers - Head Coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke report to owner Jed York.  Baalke retains control of the 53-man roster, while Harbaugh makes the game day roster moves.  Chief Operating Officer Paraag Marathe controls the team's salary cap and negotiating, receiving input from Baalke, but reporting to York.

Seattle Seahawks - Head Coach Pete Carroll has roster control, but GM John Schneider controls the draft and free agency.  Both answer to owner Peter McLoughlin as the team's President with owner Paul Allen out of the day-to-day operations of the team.

St. Louis Rams - Head Coach Jeff Fisher, GM Les Snear, and Executive Vice President of Football Operations/CEO Kevin Demoff all answer to owner Stan Kroenke directly, with Fisher running the team during the season and Snead having control during the offseason.  Demoff runs the team's salary cap and contracts.

Every team in the NFL has a little different power structure, and several teams have owners who are not with the team day-to-day, similar to the oft-described  "absentee ownership" of Dolphins' owner Stephen Ross.  Miami's three-tier leadership level looks similar to the setup currently being used by the San Francisco 49ers, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Tennessee Titans, with the GM, Head Coach, and Vice President/Salary Cap Manager all reporting to either the owner, or his designated representative.

Will this work?  Who knows.  But, it doesn't appear to be as unique as people seem to think.  Of course, this could all change, and exactly how a team is run is not always clear.  But, Breer gave us a decent look at the other teams in the league, and we will see how the situation in Miami evolves with the hire of a new GM.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/1/25/5343964/nfl-power-structures-who-really-runs-a-team

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Well, did Casserly say this in context of discussing the Jets. Or just generalizing while talking about all the other firings and openings. My guess is the latter. So, I'm not sure how intentional the statement was as a shot fired at the Jets situation.

Frankly, I think it comes back to Woody, listen to a consultant but not actually heeding the advice.

No doubt. Too much irony for him to make this statement so shortly after the announced decision to retain Bowles. I don't know what the context was, but it's a damning statement of Woody's process even if he's talking about someone else.

Could be he chose Bowles - still a poor choice anyway - after Woody told him to pick somebody. That he wanted the consultants to pick a HC rather than a 1st time GM in his first days on the job.

Who knows, really. What I think we know is whatever decision Woody made was predestined to be a poor one. I have similar low hopes for his brother. What is the likelihood that, right after being given control of the team, he relinquishes it to a head of football operations? Probably pretty low. 

Archived