Who finds a franchise QB first? Jets or Giants?

Mike135

Who finds a franchise QB first? Jets or Giants?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who finds their next franchise QB first?

The Jets have been searching for a QB for decades w/o success.  Meanwhile the Midgets have had some great success with Eli the past decade.

Now Eli could still have 5+ years of top 20 QB play left, but hearing the Giants are now beginning to think about their next QB got me wondering, will they find their post-Eli franchise QB before we find our first franchise QB of this millennium?

Hate to say it, but even if Eli does play another 4 or 5 years, odds would probably be in the Giants' favor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/09/jerry-reese-eli-manning-probably-on-the-back-nine/

Jerry Reese: Eli Manning “probably on the back nine”

GREEN BAY, WI - JANUARY 8:  Eli Manning #10 of the New York Giants walks off the field in the fourth quarter during the NFC Wild Card game against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field on January 8, 2017 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)Getty Images

Giants quarterback Eli Manning’s 13th season in the NFL ended with Sunday’s loss to the Packers.

The loss came a few days after his 36th birthday and the passage of time has the Giants thinking about the future of the position. General Manager Jerry Reese said on Monday that it is time to work on next steps.

“He’s probably on the back nine, but I don’t think it’s ancient for a quarterback,” Reese said, via Paul Schwartz of the New York Post. “Eli is 36 and we have started to think about who’s the next quarterback, who’s in line.”

Sunday’s game provided a pretty nice capsule of the way things went offensively for the Giants this season. They had moments early in the game when they moved the ball well, but self-inflicted wounds kept them from scoring touchdowns and the unit’s production slowed to a halt as time passed. There were dropped passes and a Manning fumble to blame along with their season-long inability to run the ball.

Manning’s individual year didn’t play out too differently. He had a handful of strong games, a handful of rough ones and 20 turnovers sprinkled across the regular season, which added up to a drop in production from the last two years for both quarterback and team. Manning’s signed for three more years, so the team will hope that any further decline happens slowly and building up the running game would be a good way to help on that front.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Jets. We are trying. The Giants got lucky in falling into Manning/Rivers. Outside of Eli, have they really ever had a 'franchise quarterback' as we know it to be now? I don't know if Phil Simms qualifies but maybe.

Let's hope, but yeah, I think I'd consider Phil a franchise QB.  Any starting QB who would keep a team from spending an early 1st round pick, or big FA money on another QB I think would qualify.  Just someone who has the starting QB role secured for a while.

No need to be All Pro.

Nassib sucks, so it's not like Reese has a track record, but knowing the Giants' luck, they'll be the ones to draft Deshaun Watson and turn him into Aaron Rodgers in two years while we're waiting for Cade McNownenberg's contract to expire so we can be rid of him.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nassib sucks, so it's not like Reese has a track record, but knowing the Giants' luck, they'll be the ones to draft Deshaun Watson and turn him into Aaron Rodgers in two years while we're waiting for Cade McNownenberg's contract to expire so we can be rid of him.

I dont think Hackenberg makes it out of camp next year. Jets are going to go QB again.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Unless they trick O'Brien into trading for him, I don't think you can dump Hack without throwing Maccagnan out with him.

I dont know. They were scared to death to play him in preseason games this year. My guess is they know he's horrible and they go hail mary with either Kizer, Watson or Trubinsky to save themselves. 

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont know. They were scared to death to play him in preseason games this year. My guess is they know he's horrible and they go hail mary with either Kizer, Watson or Trubinsky to save themselves. 

I was gonna say that someone in the organization would have to ask Maccagnan why he's burning all these resources on project QBs, but then I remembered that no one in the organization cares.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I was gonna say that someone in the organization would have to ask Maccagnan why he's burning all these resources on project QBs, but then I remembered that no one in the organization cares.

That's the bigger issue. 

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Same year we draft Sam. Shit is already falling together. 

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

5+ years for eli? lol the dude is like 37 years old

Just turned 36 a few days ago according to the article anyways.  In today's NFL, playing QB until you're 39 or 40 isn't nuts.  They really protect these guys now.  Think Eli's helmet was tapped by a Dlineman's hand and the announcers said it could have been a penalty.  It wasn't called, but we all know QBs are "babied".  Especially the older royalty guys.

Then factor in the type of player Eli is, and it's absolutely likely he can last that long.  He's pretty aware in the pocket, will drop down instead of taking needless hits (like his brother), and doesn't generally take many hits unless the game is on the line.

54 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

The Giants are one of the darling franchises of the NFL. They'll have one fall right into their lap the season after Eli retires. 

This. Even though there is no logic to back it up besides fate. I agree. The Giants are one of those teams who always seem to have things break right for them. The Jets, not so much.

You know it'll play out similar to the Colts situation. Eli's last year with the team the team will be awful, the Giants will have a top pick and there will 1 or 2 can't miss QB prospects sitting there for them to take. Just like the Colts with Andrew Luck.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Jets. We are trying. The Giants got lucky in falling into Manning/Rivers. Outside of Eli, have they really ever had a 'franchise quarterback' as we know it to be now? I don't know if Phil Simms qualifies but maybe.

Simms qualifies.  Actually, Jeff Hostetler was pretty darn good too (mostly for the Raiders though).

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This. Even though there is no logic to back it up besides fate. I agree. The Giants are one of those teams who always seem to have things break right for them. The Jets, not so much.

You know it'll play out similar to the Colts situation. Eli's last year with the team the team will be awful, the Giants will have a top pick and there will 1 or 2 can't miss QB prospects sitting there for them to take. Just like the Colts with Andrew Luck.

Yup.  Though there is some logic supporting why the Jets won't find a franchise QB.  Or rather lack of logic.  Some organizations just seem to play the jester role.  Do you think the Giants would have signed Tebow or re-signed Fitz for 12mil?  I don't.

They would have avoided the big splash or media friendly move, saved cap space, developed youth and if need be... suffered until a solid option came along.

One glimmer of hope I noticed this season was how they treated Hack.  They had a plan and stuck to it.  Regardless of what fans and media wanted.  Even if Hack sucks, was good to see.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I can already see it now, some sh*t team like the JETS will trade back into the 1st round via the Giants giving up their 2018 1st round pick, and that pick ends up being 1st overall, and Darnold falls in the Giants laps, FML.

Fixed.

On 1/10/2017 at 9:45 AM, JetPotato said:

Peyton is four years older and just left, primarily due to a major injury. Eli has been pretty healthy. 

he was 39 when he played like utter sh*t. no way eli plays well for 5+ years. it just doesn't happen. favre was like the healthiest qb in history and he went down at 40. 

Archived