NFL Rumors / Signings / Cuts / Trades (Non-Jets)

C Mart

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 

#Jets interested in re-signing LT Ben Ijalana, but there will be a market for him. Versatility (can play LT and RT) is attractive.

Was there a market for him the last two years?  The Jets let him hit free agency in 2015 and 2016 and signed him a month later in both years to one year deals at or near the vet min.  If what they did with Powell is any indication, they will probably give him 3/$12M now for no apparent reason.

NFL legal tampering window

March 7-9 is an open window for teams to start contract talks with unrestricted free agents. This time is unformally known as the "Legal Tampering Period" since teams are allowed to speak with players from other teams. 

After 4:00 p.m. on March 9th is when the new league year officially begins. Since teams had the brief open period before this day, the first few hours of free agency are often pretty hectic with players signing left and right. 

holy crap I forgot we were getting close !!!!!

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Ijalana is a jag, if we wants to walk fine with me.

He is a Jag but he is the Jets Jag when the other OL below him are the likes of Dakota Dozier, Brent Qvale and Craig Watts.  I think he performed admirably (or at least with effort) last season and is not an optimal roster spot but can at least stop the QB from getting immediately killed.

Let's see what they come up with.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I thought the Redskins franchises him? 

This one is tricky . It appears that Cousins wants to play for Shanahan and will leave for San Fran next yr .  If you could trade him this yr say for a 1st and a couple picks, it might be worth it rather than lose him next yr for nothing .

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

I thought the Redskins franchises him? 

I'd assume it's one of those Trade with a X time frame window to sign long term condition, probably this years 1st and another conditional pick for 2018.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Ijalana is a jag, if we wants to walk fine with me.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

He is a Jag but he is the Jets Jag when the other OL below him are the likes of Dakota Dozier, Brent Qvale and Craig Watts.  I think he performed admirably (or at least with effort) last season and is not an optimal roster spot but can at least stop the QB from getting immediately killed.

Let's see what they come up with.

I honestly wonder if they may have let guys like Ijalana a Powell test the market so that they might count for comp picks.  I don't think either would count for much, but with such underwhelming players, that may end up a deciding factor.  I know everyone has fallen in love with Powell, but he was not in high demand during the 2015 offseason.  I actually kind of like having Ijalana around, but feel like Beerfish.  If he is here to compete as depth, fine.  If somebody wants to pay him much - thank you for your service. I certainly would prefer to upgrade and i am not sure he is discernibly better than Qvale.

OTOH, it is not that likely they consider this based on their FA spending habits.

14 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

This one is tricky . It appears that Cousins wants to play for Shanahan and will leave for San Fran next yr .  If you could trade him this yr say for a 1st and a couple picks, it might be worth it rather than lose him next yr for nothing .

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I'd assume it's one of those Trade with a X time frame window to sign long term condition, probably this years 1st and another conditional pick for 2018.

Right.  Got it.  I thought once you slapped the tag that you had to trade for him with a particular draft slot and take on his contract or something like that.  I didnt realize there were little caveats in the franchise like you mentioned. 

29 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Mike Silver is saying the 49ers are likely to acquire Kirk Cousins.

Sam Darnell, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield or Luke Falk will be there for the Jets to pick at #1 next year! If Cousins goes to 49ers, we're guaranteed to have a shot at a pretty damn good QB, unless knowing the Jets have the number 1 they all go back to school,lol.,

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It is sooooooooo tempting to start a "Jets Sign Geno Smith to new 5 Year, 55 million dollar deal" thread.

Or better, a "Jets in negotiation to resign Fitzpatrick while waiting for Hack to Develop" thread.

Do it man do it .

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If Cousins goes to SF, I wonder if the Tony Romo to the Redskins thing is back on?

It's crazy that the Skins are basically on the verge of losing a legit franchise QB like this. These guys are so hard to find. Somebody in their organization screwed up big time. He needed to be locked up. They're going to be back on the QB market trying to find an answer with teams like us now if he does end up in SF.

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Cousins takes SF out of the QB market if true..... will be interesting if all QBs in the draft fall to us

Heard Phil Savage speak on NFL Sirius radio, said after watching the QB workouts Watson is the only QB worthy of a 1st round selection. Cites Watsons games vs Alabama where he beat vitually an NFL defense (speed) twice. Needs work but believes Watson is studious & has the IT factor (leader) you look for in a QB. Interesting.

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Very interesting!

Single most predictable piece of news possible.  Cousins wants to be with Shanny, and Shanny wants to me with Cousins.  If a trade can be figured out, it's a done deal.  Skins can't/refuse to afford Cousins, and Cousins is bitter at the Skins and wants out.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Heard Phil Savage speak on NFL Sirius radio, said after watching the QB workouts Watson is the only QB worthy of a 1st round selection. Cites Watsons games vs Alabama where he beat vitually an NFL defense (speed) twice. Needs work but believes Watson is studious & has the IT factor (leader) you look for in a QB. Interesting.

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 9.25.27 AM.jpg

Archived