impressed with free agency so far for Jets

Phillyjet

It's helpful that the Jets really don't have any option but to tank. They have no QB and don't have enough ammunition to go on a shopping spree in FA that would somehow turn this into a 10 win team.

So yeah, sometimes things work out.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Idzik was run out of town b/c he blew a deep draft where he had 12 picks and ruined Geno by forcing rex to play him too son.

I had no problem w/ him not spending, acquiring picks, etc... as he was saving for that offseason he never got to run BUT when you do that you have to hit in the draft especially that draft and he whiffed badly and set us back 5 years in the process.

Idzik didn't force Rex to play Geno, Rex did that by getting Sanchez injured in a meaningless preseason game. Idzik had two pi$$ poor drafts and picked a guy that IMO is the worst first round pick made by the Jets since Vernon Gholston and that was Calvin Pryor.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Idzik didn't force Rex to play Geno, Rex did that by getting Sanchez injured in a meaningless preseason game. Idzik had two pi$$ poor drafts and picked a guy that IMO is the worst first round pick made by the Jets since Vernon Gholston and that was Calvin Pryor.

Idzik wanted Geno to play, rex did not.  Idzik forced the sham competition and Rex's hand were tied b/c he knew Idzik wanted him gone.

Impressed with Jets FA so far???? 

Doesn't FA start today? March 9th? WTF is everyone talking about. FA has not 'happened', whats to be impressed with? 

Yes, Macc is doing the right thing by cutting over-paid, often injured, under-performing vets. 

But the FA part has just begun. Let's see what happens. The Jets have yet to sign anyone new. 

Image result for am i taking crazy pills gif

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Idzik was run out of town b/c he blew a deep draft where he had 12 picks and ruined Geno by forcing rex to play him too son.

I had no problem w/ him not spending, acquiring picks, etc... as he was saving for that offseason he never got to run BUT when you do that you have to hit in the draft especially that draft and he whiffed badly and set us back 5 years in the process.

A rare moment where we agree, except the ruining Geno part.

I'll add that he also did a pretty terrible job in the prior draft too.

54 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Correct. Idzik's plan was right, but he blew the execution.

Idzik knew NOTHING about personnel. How do you completely BLOW a 12-pick draft? Then he compounds the error of the previous draft by taking possibly the worst first round pick by this team since Vernon Gholston when he selected Calvin Pryor. Jets needed a CB in the worst way and he takes this guy? I know Rex probably had a lot of input into that pick but really Idzik's plan was much like Donald Trump, whose plan has not yet even been seen.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Idzik wanted Geno to play, rex did not.  Idzik forced the sham competition and Rex's hand were tied b/c he knew Idzik wanted him gone.

Mark was terrible in 2012. Idzik did sign Garrard and if not still injured he might have won that job. As for a sham competition the trend in the NFL that season was to start rookies. I'm not sure if Mark had not been injured he would have won that job. At that time I wanted anyone but Sanchez. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Mark was terrible in 2012. Idzik did sign Garrard and if not still injured he might have won that job. As for a sham competition the trend in the NFL that season was to start rookies. I'm not sure if Mark had not been injured he would have won that job. At that time I wanted anyone but Sanchez. 

he was terrible in 2012 w/ Chaz Schilens, Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates as his main weapons.  he was still much better than geno 2013 and we would have had a playoff chance w/ Mark.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was terrible in 2012 w/ Chaz Schilens, Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates as his main weapons.  he was still much better than geno 2013 and we would have had a playoff chance w/ Mark.

You mean like when Sanchez threw a pick six on a screen pass in a pre season game in 2013? 

Just now, nyjunc said:

If you look at the game film it wasn't their fault that Mark was terrible. And those 3 guys were NFL receivers.  And they had other players on the offense too like Shonne Greene, Kerley, Keller, etc. Since leaving the Jets Mark has not won a starting job in the NFL and is 3rd string on Dallas and will probably get cut. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The plan he had was correct, he just sucked. Just missed out on Winston/Mariota and blew the 12 pick draft. Things could be a lot different right now but here we are

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Correct. Idzik's plan was right, but he blew the execution.

Careful bud, I said this repeated during the two years with Idzik - and for the first year with Mac. You're going to have the dipsh*t coalition crawling up your backside if you aren't careful.

2 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

we talk about it every year, developing through the draft and signing your own players.  Everyone knows we are not a player away.  At some point you have to commit to player development.  Glad they are following the script.  Would prefer a cheaper back-up veteran on short-term money in the QB room, and then rolling with our young QBs.  If they flail, then we have a high pick in a loaded draft next year.  If they develop, then we are drafting our way to a solid team with a new look.

I, for one, am willing to tank, to take a chance on player development.  Otherwise, we'll have more years of mediocrity, and one-off good seasons followed by 4-12.  You want a big long run like the Raiders are setting themselves up to do?  You need to be willing to take the pain.

Browns tank every year, unintentionally. I don't see them setting themselves up for a big run any time soon. Since rejoining the NFL in 1999, Browns have won 5 games or less in 13 of the 18 years. Im on board for tanking this year, but its no guarantee we'll get what we want. 

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Careful bud, I said this repeated during the two years with Idzik - and for the first year with Mac. You're going to have the dipsh*t coalition crawling up your backside if you aren't careful.

A prevailing theme seems to be that you either like Idzik or Macc, and you have to choose one.  It's not possible to think they both did/are doing poorly and for different reasons.

15 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

You mean like when Sanchez threw a pick six on a screen pass in a pre season game in 2013? 

which is still better than running out of the end zone while scrambling.

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If you look at the game film it wasn't their fault that Mark was terrible. And those 3 guys were NFL receivers.  And they had other players on the offense too like Shonne Greene, Kerley, Keller, etc. Since leaving the Jets Mark has not won a starting job in the NFL and is 3rd string on Dallas and will probably get cut. 

nah, it wasn't their fault that they sucked and couldn't get open in the NFL.  it was all Mark's fault which was why he sucked w/ Holmes, Cotch, keller and Edwards too- oh wait he was really good w/ those guys.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

A prevailing theme seems to be that you either like Idzik or Macc, and you have to choose one.  It's not possible to think they both did/are doing poorly and for different reasons.

Infantile, debilitating and polarized arguments are the wont of American society.

43 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Any player you sign in free agency many of them come from non winning teams. We need a reliable place kicker. Esp on a team that might not put up too many Tds. And Mangold if the FO thinks he can still play as a backup or change in position could be a good signing at a lower price. 

You really just don't get it.  The Jets should "accidentally on-purpose" lose those close games. Releasing Folk was both a financial AND practical decision. 

A reliable kicker is a bad idea.  Bring in a cheap kid.  If he makes them, good on him and fans like you can celebrate another useless win. If he misses, better for the franchise and fans like me that want this team to be in position to draft an elite QB prospect next season.

19 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Browns tank every year, unintentionally. I don't see them setting themselves up for a big run any time soon. Since rejoining the NFL in 1999, Browns have won 5 games or less in 13 of the 18 years. Im on board for tanking this year, but its no guarantee we'll get what we want. 

Maybe, just maybe Jets are on the path to a franchise QB? Looking at our schedule, the 49ers bringing in Hoyer to work with Shanahan again, the Bears probably signing Glennon, Tyrod staying in Buffalo, the Browns & Jags having boatloads of cash for free agency and the Jets playing Jags & Bears head to head, the Browns playing LA Rams & AFC South, I'd say 2018 is lining up with the Jets having their choice at QB in the 2018 NFL draft. Darnold? Rosen? Take your pick Macc.

Jets could have an Oakland like turnaround but with a much better defense to support the young QB. Macc is gonna make hay if he gets a 3rd for Sheldon and enters this draft with 5 picks in the 1st 107. If he trades back these next 2 years could be epic. The turning point for the NY Jets.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Idzik did that and got run out of town. He decided 2014 was a rebuild year and wanted to save the money for 2015. I can't tell you about all of the expletives we heard about him.  You know this fanbase. 

Idzik was run out of town because his drafts, that should have rebuilt the team, were horrific.  He also stabbed Ryan in the back.  If he didn't want Ryan as his coach (understandable)  he shouldn't have taken the job.  Still glad he's gone

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I saw no evidence that Idzik ever stabbed Rex in the back. All I saw was incredibly bad press on Idzik some of it via leaks from probably Rex via Mehta and Cimini. And as for who made that decision to put Mark into that game. It was Rex. And nothing wrong with putting him into that game. Nobody knew that Mark was going to get injured. And after his 2012 season no guarantee that Mark was going to win that job. The trend that year after RG3, Luck etc was to start rookie Qbs. 

Dude, look at the Jets secondary in 2014.  That is all the evidence we need.  Rex runs a D predicated on man coverage and we had total stiffs.  I agreed with the idea of making Rex earn his money, but you do that by making him scheme to stop the run and pressure, not coverage.  His wanting to dump Rex was also fine, but he didn't exactly set us up with young talent. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Idzik did that and got run out of town. He decided 2014 was a rebuild year and wanted to save the money for 2015. I can't tell you about all of the expletives we heard about him.  You know this fanbase. 

If 2014 was a rebuild year, why did he make that stupid last ditch deal for Harvin and extend Kerley?  

53 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You really just don't get it.  The Jets should "accidentally on-purpose" lose those close games. Releasing Folk was both a financial AND practical decision. 

A reliable kicker is a bad idea.  Bring in a cheap kid.  If he makes them, good on him and fans like you can celebrate another useless win. If he misses, better for the franchise and fans like me that want this team to be in position to draft an elite QB prospect next season.

Don't agree. If this team is in a position to win close games you need a reliable kicker. The price isn't too high considering how important they are. 

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Dude, look at the Jets secondary in 2014.  That is all the evidence we need.  Rex runs a D predicated on man coverage and we had total stiffs.  I agreed with the idea of making Rex earn his money, but you do that by making him scheme to stop the run and pressure, not coverage.  His wanting to dump Rex was also fine, but he didn't exactly set us up with young talent. 

If 2014 was a rebuild year, why did he make that stupid last ditch deal for Harvin and extend Kerley?  

I thought the Harvin deal was ok because the price was low. He had the pedigree of being an impact player. And was not available at the start of the season. He was worth taking a chance on and they were able to release him at the end of the season. As for re-signing Kerley after signing Harvin. I didn't get that one either. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I thought the Harvin deal was ok because the price was low. He had the pedigree of being an impact player. And was not available at the start of the season. He was worth taking a chance on and they were able to release hay the end of the season. As for re-signing Kerley after signing Harvin. I didn't get that one either. 

$7.1M and a 6th?  For what purpose?  The team was 1-6 and had lost 5 straight at that point.  The season was already over and you want to take a high dollar half season rental on Harvin? They weren't able to release Harvin, they had to or he would have cost a 4th and a whole bunch more money.  If there ever was a time to tank, that was it.  They could quite easily have ended up with Winston or Mariota or a very easy trade up for one. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

$7.1M and a 6th?  For what purpose?  The team was 1-6 and had lost 5 straight at that point.  The season was already over and you want to take a high dollar half season rental on Harvin? They weren't able to release Harvin, they had to or he would have cost a 4th and a whole bunch more money.  If there ever was a time to tank, that was it.  They could quite easily have ended up with Winston or Mariota or a very easy trade up for one. 

the problem is there hasn't been a coach or gm who had enough confidence in his abilities to be able to survive losing, so it has produced a series of desperation moves and stop gap measures that ensured the team never got to the top of the draft.  it's not surprising they have the 6th pick for the 2nd time in 3 years, they always add enough vets to make sure they don't suck enough to get the qb prospect that pans out.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That pick was inconsequential. And they had money and thought he was worth taking a gamble on. And at times he played well. The guy was an impact player. And the Jets didn't have one. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

which is still better than running out of the end zone while scrambling.

nah, it wasn't their fault that they sucked and couldn't get open in the NFL.  it was all Mark's fault which was why he sucked w/ Holmes, Cotch, keller and Edwards too- oh wait he was really good w/ those guys.

Mark Sanchez was never really good in the NFL. He just wasn't -- perpetuating the idea that he was successful with good players is just false. He was never an above average QB in the NFL over the course of a season. It's just not reality.

Archived