Schefter: Jets to release Eric Decker

flgreen

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

I agree with your concept, but not the reason.  McCown isn't there because the Jets aren't trying to tank, like I believe they are.  While the goal is clearly to lose, McCown is there for appearances sake only, and not to get embarrassed every week.

Not much of an appearance. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I agree with your concept, but not the reason.  McCown isn't there because the Jets aren't trying to tank, like I believe they are.  While the goal is clearly to lose, McCown is there for appearances sake only, and not to get embarrassed every week.

OMG, Leon was a seer.  Lol.

What was his famous inspirational speach?  "Just don't go out there and make horse's asses of yourself's"  LOL

This could become a famous season.  Maybe in years from now it will be know as the HA season 

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The only reason we did this is to allow the O Line to gel while McCown gets destroyed for the first 5-6 weeks of the season. We are going to end up 2-14.

that WOULD make the most sense. 

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Yeah that's why we signed a 37 year old QB to a multi-million deal to start week 1

A 37 year-old quarterback who's not very good and injury-prone. It was a window dressing signing. If he opens the season as the starter he'll be out injured by week three.

1 minute ago, thadude said:

I've literally been right about everything so keep explaining the evil genius plan to me

I suspect it was Woody's idea as a way of trying to put fannies in the seats - let's pretend we're trying to be competitive - and we all know Woody is no genius.

Just now, tuffhand said:

I suspect it was Woody's idea as a way of trying to put fannies in the seats - let's pretend we're trying to be competitive - and we all know Woody is no genius.

So Josh McCown is the sexy qb that's going to sell PSL's, Season Tickets and Concessions?  ok

6 hours ago, flgreen said:

The Jets offered to extend Marshall.  He refused and asked to be cut

Why couldn't they offer him the same as Decker, and try to get a trade done?  His contract was great for a contending team because it was a one year deal, with a motivated Marshall.  

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don't think Marshall had trade value because teams knew the Jets had to excise him from the locker room either way. Marshall's track record was well known even before the Jets, and it's hard to find another team as stupid as the Jets who would give up assets for a career malcontent.

He got jettisoned off the Bears mainly because they had Jeffery emerging and thought Marshall was injury prone.  We were quite happy to get him for what I believe was a 5th round pick, so why couldn't he fetch a similar return on a one year deal contract?  I wasn't expecting say a first round pick, but it almost seemed like we just cleared house for the sake of clearing house with him.  

5 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Mccown wants to be a coach... and has expressed that repeatedly.... he is here as a mentor... he will not start

Then don't give him a single rep with the starters. Its valuable stuff for Hack.

13 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

The team must look like ass in OTA's to throw the towel in 1st week of June.  

The next meaningful game will be 10/8 vs Browns in the Darnold bowl.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I fk'n HATE USC QBs. Lets see what happens this year in college - it's a QB heavy draft - we will have choices. Hopefully he's not a sure number 1 consensus. 

11 hours ago, thadude said:

McCown is how you know we aren't actually trying to tank.  As bad as you and I know he is Macc actually thinks he's good

Josh McCown has literally won 11 games in the past 11 years.  Please stop.

8 hours ago, pointman said:

Then don't give him a single rep with the starters. Its valuable stuff for Hack.

It's OTAs they need time to watch and learn too... If this continues when training camp starts then there is a real issue.

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Hack must look really bad. They've already given up on him ever playing.

The reality is McCown started OTA's because he has run an NFL offense that has similar language to what Morton is running. Give the young guys ( Petty and Hack) some time to adjust to another new offensive scheme / language before we crown McCown the king of the tank.

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Hack must look really bad. They've already given up on him ever playing.

Or just maybe the Jets are giving this QB an opportunity to grow with the young receivers that may have a future with the team . It's all in how you see a thing isn't it  ?

There are two scenarios here.

1. The first one (and probably most likely since QBs are hit and miss) is that neither Hack nor Petty show enough to be the future of the Jets. In such a case, the Jets would have been building a defense (clearly missing some key players like sack artist, and a CB or two). These young players will have a chance to grow with the defense. Macc can plug in some key players next year with the draft or FA with all of the cap. In the meantime, we give the OL time to gel and give some young WRs a chance to grow and impress. Next year we pick a QB #1 and using other picks and FA try to plug the holes the best they can. In either case, Marshal and Decker would no longer be on the team (or on the way out); so, no point keeping them in a throw away year.

2. Hack (or Petty) turns out to be the guy (or shows enough). In that case, we trade away our top pick to a team hungry for a QB and use the picks and FA to finish building the team. In this case, again, Marshall would have been on the way out as well as Decker and any chemistry built with them would be lost. Also, for a young QB that is going to struggle, do you want a guy like Marshall in the huddle with him while he is telling anyone who would listen that we are win now and should have Fitz or McCown running the show? Assuming Decker isn't hurt, he would be double covered, not have great numbers and gone anyway.

Either way, it makes sense to let them go and save the $ for next year. However, I could have easily been convinced that a guy like Decker would be an asset to a growing QB and growing receivers, but the cost, injuries, and future were against him. Decker is the guy you want to help win games in a win now team - any production would be wasted on a rebuilding team.

Eric Decker ‏Verified account @EricDecker87

Thank you @nyjets for the opportunity the last 3 years! I truly made some great memories and friendships that will last forever!

To all the diehard fans-I wish we would of accomplished more for you but I sincerely appreciate the support through all the ups and downs!

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Or just maybe the Jets are giving this QB an opportunity to grow with the young receivers that may have a future with the team . It's all in how you see a thing isn't it  ?

No, not, not at all. How did you get it so wrong? It's not just if you hold hands, sing kumbaya, and clap your hands then everything will turn out ok. 

Their actions are not one of a team that believes they have their next QB on the roster.

Archived