Schefter: Jets to release Eric Decker

flgreen

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Fitzpatrick Insurrection ruined many lives.

It's insane to me that wasn't that long ago. The 2015 season seems like it happened in an alternate universe. Crisis on Infinite Earths sh*t. Like, the Favre season feels more recent than 2015.

Well sh*t.

**** next years QB's (who may or may not be worth a high pick next year) I'm more concerned about the pressure we just put the youngsters on the offense under. Enunwa is the team's number 1 WR. And I hate using that phrase because its a position with two starters, but that's just a fact. I don't know how to feel about that. He's alright, but is he or Stweart or Hansen ready for this job?

What does Eric Decker's departure mean for Jets' rebuild, Quincy Enunwa?

The Jets are parting ways with Eric Decker. (AP Photo | Roger Steinman)
The Jets are parting ways with Eric Decker. (AP Photo | Roger Steinman)

1share

BY DARRYL SLATER 

dslater@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Before Tuesday, it looked like the Jets were done making prominent veteran cuts. 

They had already gotten rid of center Nick Mangold, cornerback Darrelle Revis, and wide receiver Brandon Marshall. The moves created $25.875 million in salary cap space, with just $6 million in dead money -- and even that will be lowered if Revis eventually finds a new team. 

Then came Tuesday, when the Jets cut 33-year-old middle linebacker David Harris -- $6.5 million in cap space created, with no dead money attached. 

Later Tuesday, ESPN reported the Jets will release or trade another prominent veteran this week -- wide receiver Eric Decker, whose wife confirmed his departure on Twitter. 

The Jets are in full-on, get-younger rebuilding mode -- and these moves just reinforce that. 

So what does Decker's departure mean for the Jets and their receivers? 

Well, Quincy Enunwa is now entering a contract year as the Jets' No. 1 receiver, since Marshall and Decker are gone. And Robby Anderson, who showed flashes of potential as an undrafted rookie last year, is now the No. 2 receiver. 

Rookie receivers ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen will have plenty of opportunities to contribute this year, considering the torn-down state of the Jets' receiver room. 

Decker, 30, is coming off hip and shoulder surgeries. He had two years left on his contract. He was scheduled to carry an $8.75 million salary cap figure this season and $9 million in 2018. 

Since it is after June 1, the Jets would carry $1.5 million in dead money this season (and next season) if they cut him. That's a cap savings of $7.25 million this year -- compared to a savings of $5.75 million if Decker was cut before June 1. 

A trade would mean the same for the Jets as a pre-June 1 cut -- $3 million in dead money and $5.75 million in cap savings, though the Jets would obviously get something in return. 

The Jets have $13.75 million in additional cap space created, between the Harris and Decker cuts -- presuming Decker is cut.

And that gives the Jets some more cap flexibility, which is positive for a rebuilding organization like this, even if it is now obvious the Jets will lose a lot of games in 2017. 

Before the Harris cut, the Jets had $10.317 million in cap space, according to overthecap.com's estimate. But they still have yet to sign safety Jamal Adams, their first-round draft pick. He'll have a $4.047 million cap hit in 2017.

Factoring in the Adams signing and Harris' release, the Jets have about $12.77 million in space. That'll jump to about $20.02 million if Decker is cut. 

5 things Hackenberg needs to show

Teams typically like to enter a season with about $5 million in cap wiggle room, for emergency situations. But $5 million is a lot different from $20 million. Why would the Jets need to enter 2017 with $20 million in cap space when they're long past the point of signing free agents? 

Well, teams can carry over as much cap space as they want into the next season. So if the Jets finish 2017 with $20 million in cap space, they can carry all of that over to 2018, as their rebuild continues. The Jets obviously aren't going all-in on 2017, so cap flexibility for the future -- while being way under the cap in 2017 -- does make sense, from a big-picture perspective. 

ADVERTISING

Plus, based on overthecap.com's estimate, the Jets are now scheduled to enter 2018 with about $66 million in cap space -- and that's before any carryover. So they'll have plenty of resources with which to continue their rebuild, if they want to do it via free agency. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

33 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

YOU STOLE MY LINE!!!

But well played, sir... well played...

I just have a simple question: do we get to keep the rights to the images of his spouse, well do we???????

Just asking, everyone is so touchy out here!!

Good Grief!!! :) 

Its only relevant coming from you! :jawdrop:

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's insane to me that wasn't that long ago. The 2015 season seems like it happened in an alternate universe. Crisis on Infinite Earths sh*t. Like, the Favre season feels more recent than 2015.

I was thinking about this, myself. The Bowles-Maccagnan Era feels a lot longer than it's actually been because it's an amalgam of every mistake they've made for the past 25 years. Every stupid thing they do is an echo of something stupid done before, and with the same result. What we're experiencing now is a lot like watching old home movies.

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:
The Jets might not win two games this year. And I'm counting the preseason.

On paper they look worse than they did yesterday. Any given sunday and all that, maybe some of these young offensive pieces surprise or the new coordinator finds a way to make it all work and the D returns to form. But I wont blame prognosticators for doubting gang green this year, not a lot of proven assets on this team... in fact there's zero outside the D-lineman, minus an okay pair of guards and RB's.

38 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

He was hurt alot but 2015 80 catches over 1,000 yds and 12 tds wasn't  exactly bad.. And he had some big red zone td's..

Exactly. He's actually one of the better WRs we've had.

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:
DT Steve McLendon, one of four remaining 30-year-olds on #Jets roster, is safe, for now, I’m told. For what it’s worth.

There is no reason for this, unless perhaps they think they are going to move SR.  Anything for him would be good.  What is the point of SM or SR being on this team for one year?

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was thinking about this, myself. The Bowles-Maccagnan Era feels a lot longer than it's actually been because it's an amalgam of every mistake they've made for the past 25 years. Every stupid thing they do is an echo of something stupid done before, and with the same result. What we're experiencing now is a lot like watching old home movies.

Macc has officially thrown Bowles under the bus. Mac has convinced Woody to do a total rebuild with Mac in charge.  Rather than keep expensive players that help the Jets look decent but still not make the playoffs, Mac is cutting them, which saves Woody money in the end.   It will be very hard for this roster to produce a team that saves its coach's job this year.

Just now, RSJ said:

It's gonna be hysterical when Darnold stays in school and the other QB's look horrible this season. This isn't the NBA.

I bet. Personally, I'm not counting on those QB's for jack sh*t unlike most jet fans. I don't care about anything they do until winter comes and that's only IF they are as advertised. If anything the only QB's I'm looking down the road for is future free agent Alex Smith and maybe free agent Kirk Cousins.

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

I bet. Personally, I'm not counting on those QB's for jack sh*t unlike most jet fans. I don't care about anything they do until winter comes and that's only IF they are as advertised. If anything the only QB's I'm looking down the road for is future free agent Alex Smith and maybe free agent Kirk Cousins.

I mean yeah you would be much smarter if those were your expectations. Some fans along with apparently the Jets idiot owner thinks taking for a QB in the NFL makes sense.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Good thing we drafted two safeties

Good point.  Offence squad won't be on the field long :( wow this team is not looking good at all.  I like the fact they decided to commit to blow it up and they're going all the way not half way..  but yikes this roster is super young.

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Honestly, the Jets should cut McCown. This "strategy" we are watching unfold makes absolutely no sense whatsoever if McCown is the QB. 

Yep this makes less sense now than ever. McCown cannot start a single game this season unless Hack and Petty get injured. 

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Honestly, the Jets should cut McCown. This "strategy" we are watching unfold makes absolutely no sense whatsoever if McCown is the QB. 

Mccown wants to be a coach... and has expressed that repeatedly.... he is here as a mentor... he will not start

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

There is no reason for this, unless perhaps they think they are going to move SR.  Anything for him would be good.  What is the point of SM or SR being on this team for one year?

Macc has officially thrown Bowles under the bus. Mac has convinced Woody to do a total rebuild with Mac in charge.  Rather than keep expensive players that help the Jets look decent but still not make the playoffs, Mac is cutting them, which saves Woody money in the end.   It will be very hard for this roster to produce a team that saves its coach's job this year.

I don't get the impression from Woody that he will fire Bowles.  I think all 3 are involved and in the know on a full rebuild and a really bad season this year isn't going to get Bowles fired.  Woody even said its more important right now to see development from the young guys.  Now Woody can be impulsive and isn't always true to his word so we'll see but I have this feeling that both Bowles and Macc are going to get a full 5 years to see if they can move this forward.

I don't agree with this one. The guys we drafted are unproven. Unless he wouldn't take a pay cut or they think he's not up to it anymore. Now it maybe makes sense to go after Maclin but honestly I like Decker over him. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

MAtt Leinart is a cautious tale about that

There are so, so many. There are also very many who get drafted and make the team just good enough to be 8-8 every year - but not get over the top (Rivers). Then there is Dak, Russell Wilson, and oh nevermind.

Archived