Post your theories as to why Bryce Petty won't start next week.

T0mShane

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He beat their defenses. And it doesn't matter who he's beat. He's played well and doesn't deserve to lose his job right now.

what about what petty deserves??

mccown was given the job petty had earned in preseason in that sham of a 3 man QB competition..

Jets are at a crossroads here with their next 4 games leading up to the bye.  Anything less than 2-2 and I think you'll see Petty.  However, with the parity in this league so far if they are able to get through the next 4 at 5-5 I would think they'd still be very much "in the hunt" and it also probably means McCown has played well enough to continue as the starting QB.   The conference games are big too they need to beat Miami and Buffalo or its over as far as dreams of a playoff berth are concerned.

13 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

what about what petty deserves??

mccown was given the job petty had earned in preseason in that sham of a 3 man QB competition..

Explain to me what Petty deserves and why? Josh McCown threw 12 passes in the preseason. You're acting like Bryce Petty is getting a raw deal here.

4 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Jets are at a crossroads here with their next 4 games leading up to the bye.  Anything less than 2-2 and I think you'll see Petty.  However, with the parity in this league so far if they are able to get through the next 4 at 5-5 I would think they'd still be very much "in the hunt" and it also probably means McCown has played well enough to continue as the starting QB.   The conference games are big too they need to beat Miami and Buffalo or its over as far as dreams of a playoff berth are concerned.

Agreed. If the team is 4-6/4-7 I'm all for seeing Bryce Petty. But it doesn't make sense to make a change right now IMO.

Until the Jets are mathematically out of the playoffs or McCown gets hurt. As much as I'd like to see Petty play McCown has put up some decent stats. Stats aren't everything but they are 3-3 right now. Weakness in the O-line has caused a zero run game and Wilk is a non-entity. None the less i think Petty would have done just as well or better than McCown. Call me delusional but that's what I think.

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Not blaming Mac. My point is Mac and Bowles are on the same page. There is a narrative that Bowles is a lone wolf starting McCown and the whole organization and Mac wants Petty and Hack to start. If that was the case then why sign McCown? I assume because Mac wanted insurance in case Petty or Hack weren't ready. 

Don't think Mac and Bowles are ever on the same page. Mac gets the players Bowles plays who he wants, and he's proven he's not handing this young team over to a young QB. Shame really, because I think he's done right by playing the young guys on defense. It's the offense he won't allow that to happen on a regular basis. Just look at the other young QB's getting opportunities on other teams. Look I don't like Bowles all that much, but I have been giving him some credit for the team playing the way it has thus far. I was never thinking McCown was going to be playing this well, but it's still a moot point because he does nothing for us going forward is my only point.

2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Not blaming Mac. My point is Mac and Bowles are on the same page. There is a narrative that Bowles is a lone wolf starting McCown and the whole organization and Mac wants Petty and Hack to start. If that was the case then why sign McCown? I assume because Mac wanted insurance in case Petty or Hack weren't ready. 

Don't think Mac and Bowles are ever on the same page. Mac gets the players Bowles plays who he wants, and he's proven he's not handing this young team over to a young QB. Shame really, because I think he's done right by playing the young guys on defense. It's the offense he won't allow that to happen on a regular basis. Just look at the other young QB's getting opportunities on other teams. Look I don't like Bowles all that much, but I have been giving him some credit for the team playing the way it has thus far. I was never thinking McCown was going to be playing this well, but it's still a moot point because he does nothing for us going forward is my only point.

Goff - 1st - starter

Wentz - 1st - starter

Paxton Lynch - 1st - backup

Jacoby Brissett 3rd - starter

Cody Kessler 3rd - 3rd string

Connor Cook 4th - 3rd string

Dak Prescott 4th - starter

Cardale Jones 4th - 3rd string

Kevin Hogan 5th - current starter

All the above QB's have seen regular season playing time in this league.

Hack - 2nd round - 3rd string -  no nfl snaps

52 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Explain to me what Petty deserves and why? Josh McCown threw 12 passes in the preseason. You're acting like Bryce Petty is getting a raw deal here.

you're answering your own question.. mccown threw only a handful of passes in preseason, while petty played well & excelled in his last preseason start.. petty was only given the chance to play with guys that are mostly not in the league anymore & barely got 1st team reps in training camp.. this, in what bowles had the balls to say was an open competition?? the day mccown was signed, was the day he became the week one starter..

i'm not "acting" like petty got a raw deal.. what is, is..

Why don't you guys stop it already. If you benched McCown you could lose the team. And overall our young guys are playing well.  They would know the org is tanking it. The entire country would know because there is no logical reason to bench McCown. McCown has done a good job and doesn't deserve to be benched. Petty will get starts later in the season after we are eliminated. Until then you want your young players to think the Jets org is all about winning and not losing on purpose to get a draft pick or giving a tryout to a backup Qb. I too want to see him play this year but not now. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Why don't you guys stop it already. If you benched McCown you could lose the team. And overall our young guys are playing well.  They would know the org is tanking it. The entire country would know because there is no logical reason to bench McCown. McCown has done a good job and doesn't deserve to be benched. Petty will get starts later in the season after we are eliminated. Until then you want your young players to think the Jets org is all about winning and not losing on purpose to get a draft pick or giving a tryout to a backup Qb. I too want to see him play this year but not now. 

He's been average. He's not out there winning us games. In fact he's costing us a couple. How about making a spark for your team and trying a younger option? McCown has thrown 7TDs and 6 INTs, taking 19 sacks (that's 4th in the NFL), and has 6 fumbles. Putting in Petty is sending a message you want to do better not tanking. 

17 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Why don't you guys stop it already. If you benched McCown you could lose the team. 

your logic is flawed..

if the concern was not "losing the team," petty would have been the week one starter, after earning the job in training camp/preseason..

18 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Deep down they know this is 100% true but they have to keep up the facade.  Could you imagine what Petty would have looked like the first 6 games of the season?  Oy.  Would have been ugly.

The reason Petty is not starting is because he's not a better QB than McCown is.  Mystery solved.  

24 minutes ago, Pac said:

Deep down they know this is 100% true but they have to keep up the facade.  Could you imagine what Petty would have looked like the first 6 games of the season?  Oy.  Would have been ugly.

The reason Petty is not starting is because he's not a better QB than McCown is.  Mystery solved.  

actually, all we can do is imagine.. 

no need to tell you though.. you continue to let yours go wild..

44 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

actually, all we can do is imagine.. 

no need to tell you though.. you continue to let yours go wild..

you and the rest of the Goonies are creating this fantasy where Petty is good and I'm the one letting my imagination run wild.  uh huh.

Petty didn't win the job in pre-season. He played ok not great in exhibition games. Plus he got 4 starts last year and was mediocre. And please spare me all of your obligatory excuses. Plus he was injured going into this season. It's nonsense to say Petty should be the starter. But he will play sometime this season. 

19 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Petty didn't win the job in pre-season. He played ok not great in exhibition games. Plus he got 4 starts last year and was mediocre. And please spare me all of your obligatory excuses. Plus he was injured going into this season. It's nonsense to say Petty should be the starter. But he will play sometime this season. 

Wow someone actually told the truth

I know this will not play with the "Tank" or "let the kids play" crowd but it is not time for a change. 

There are other young players that deserve to benefit from McCown's play in order for them to develop too.  I think the Jets will need to lose a few more games or experience a drop off in QB performance before Petty or Hack gets to play.

I have to believe that if Petty or Hack is showing something in practice that a change will happen sooner than later.  We would have heard if that was happening at this time.  SO, if the purge was all about changing the culture, you cannot make a QB change until the kids actually start showing they earned the opportunity to start.

1 minute ago, jetgreen13 said:

correct.. petty had no chance to win in the zero sum game that was set up by bowles..

The Jets brought McCown into the mix only because they did not think either Petty or Hack were probably ready to be the starter. Both guys got a lot of reps in training camp and played in exhibition games. The team evaluated McCown to be the starter even though he didn't play much in pre-season. I think mostly so he would not get injured. It was a coaching and org decision based on their evaluation of all 3 Qbs. So what's the complaint. The Jets think McCown gives us a better chance to win and he does. Those other two guys got chances plenty of them. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

The Jets brought McCown into the mix only because they did not think either Petty or Hack were probably ready to be the starter. Both guys got a lot of reps in training camp and played in exhibition games. The team evaluated McCown to be the starter even though he didn't play much in pre-season. I think mostly so he would not get injured. It was a coaching and org decision based on their evaluation of all 3 Qbs. So what's the complaint. The Jets think McCown gives us a better chance to win and he does. Those other two guys got chances plenty of them. 

petty, a developmental QB in year 2, got a 4 game window last season, to show what he's got.. that, on a team that had already quit on the guy still in charge..

if you believe mccown earned the job, after being outplayed by petty in preseason, so be it.. i don't..

12 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

petty, a developmental QB in year 2, got a 4 game window last season, to show what he's got.. thal, on a team that had already quit on the guy still in charge..

if you believe mccown earned the job, after being outplayed by petty in preseason, so be it.. i don't..

He wasn't outplayed. How could he be if McCown never played. And no excuses for playing poorly last year. He had a great opportunity to win the starters job. Don't start blaming it on other people. In football esp if you're a 4th round Qb you don't get many chances to start. I didn't think he would even last this long health wise and I still think it will be hard for him to survive that much longer. Petty is next man up and when he plays please no excuses if he doesn't play well. I hope he does. 

1 minute ago, jetgreen13 said:

then how was it not predetermined, mccown was to be bowles' starter a nanosecond after he was signed??

There is no guarantee there has to be a Qb competition. If they determined at the beginning that McCown was going to be the starter what's wrong with that. We don't know the actual thinking in the org about this. Anyways Petty was injured at the start of the season. And McCown has played well. If McCown was terrible Petty would be playing. In a way it's a lot like 2015. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

There is no guarantee there has to be a Qb competition. If they determined at the beginning that McCown was going to be the starter what's wrong with that. We don't know the actual thinking in the org about this.

agreed.. the fans have no idea of the actual thinking of the organization, behind closed doors..

what we do know is, bowles made a bald faced lie when he said there was a competition for the starting job.. well, i do anyway..

6 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

This is what I don't get. Where does that come from? That Mac and Bowles aren't on the same page? I see fans posting Mac only get players Bowles wants. Or Mac wants the young QBs to start. Where does that come from? 

2 hours ago, jetgreen13 said:

agreed.. the fans have no idea of the actual thinking of the organization, behind closed doors..

what we do know is, bowles made a bald faced lie when he said there was a competition for the starting job.. well, i do anyway..

You don't agree with the final decision which is ok. I do. McCown imo gives us our best chance to win and has so far proven it. Things can change though and he's not on a long leash. He has a few Fitz style games and he's out. I don't agree that Bowles was lying. His evaluation of the Qbs differs with yours. His counts. 

Archived