Post your theories as to why Bryce Petty won't start next week.

T0mShane

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Umm he had a perfect QB rating. And looked completely confident in the offense. Petty won the competition but Bowles pre-decided the result anyway

Oh, my bad.  I thought you were talking about actual football games.  Not 2nd halves of preseason games against the backups and guys who didn't make an 0-5 team.  That ones on me I guess.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Oh, my bad.  I thought you were talking about actual football games.  Not 2nd halves of preseason games against the backups and guys who didn't make an 0-5 team.  That ones on me I guess.

Correct.  His real last performance was 20 for 36 for 235 with a td, 2 picks, and a fumble.

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well you DO NOT know that, because we are not seeing him play. Only thing we CAN say is that he looked greatly improved in camp over last year.

You're right, we as fans don't know it.  But when faced with uncertainty, you've elected to formulate an elaborate conspiracy theory that actually does not benefit the conspirators (Bowles and all coaches) at all, while the rest of us have embraced an idea that requires far less subterfuge and mental gymnastics... That Petty isn't playing because Petty isn't good.

Watching a 38 yr old journeyman at QB, despite his solid play, has made the games almost pointless to watch.

We are gonna go through rest of the season and STILL have no idea if Patty or Hackenberg can be counted on towards next season.

I honestly don't think it's that far away, Bowles looked visually frustrated with McCowns lack of pushing the ball down the field on some plays, but the whole vet QB thing will probably win out if Bowles is torn between the two (incorrectly).

15 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The excuse is the team is 3-3 and almost beat the defending SB champs today. They are going to put the best players out there to try and win games until they are out of it. Then you'll see Petty.

If there going to put the best players out there then why is McCown the starting QB?  All he does is leave 10-14 ppg out on the field, I think Petty can get those points.

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

While it's kind of comforting watching McCown throw to Jeremy Kerley and Matt Forte, we're now almost halfway through the 2017 season and it's time to stop jerking around, or is it? McCown is McCown is McCown, etc. So what excuse will Bowles and the Jets use to keep trotting him out there? 

#BowlesKnows

#orDoesHe?

#BowlesDoesntKnow

Brian Hoyer was benched in the 49'ers game for CJ Bethard, who you ask? He was the 49'ers 3rd round pick who everyone laughed at for taking.  CJ was allowed to throw a forward pass in a Football game.  He played fairly well.  They almost came back and won the game.   

Meanwhile in Jets land...

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

If there going to put the best players out there then why is McCown the starting QB?  All he does is leave 10-14 ppg out on the field, I think Petty can get those points.

Petty hasn't shown he can get those points though. Assuming he can isn't fair. McCown has completed over 70% of his passes this season. I doubt Petty can do that.

I'm not saying Petty can't be good. But I don't think it's fair to assume he could come in and play better than McCown right away.

Coaching staff is playing the best 11 because their job is to win football games. If Petty was the best QB, he would be starting. And I would assume the whole organization agrees. If the owner, or management wanted Petty to play, and sent a direct order to start Petty, then I assume Bowles would have been fired.

Here is thought. Everyone in the organization agrees the best 11 should play until there is nothing left to play for. You ever think maybe Mac wants McCown to start as well. Since he gives them the best chance to win. Since Mac may be on the hot seat as well since he's the one who assembled this team. And maybe that's why he signed McCown in case Petty and Hack weren't ready. 

How about there is no theory and it's simply the Jets are playing the best 11 players to win the game, until there is nothing else left to play for. And everyone in the building agrees this is the best way to develop this team. Just a thought.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who will be the Jets starting QB in 2019?

Will it be someone on our current roster?  If the answer is yes, who?  And how do you know this to be true?

It will be a draft pick or FA pickup.  If it's a draft pick McCown will be the backup/mentor and Petty will be cut. 

If it's a FA then Petty and Hack will likely be back.

I know this to be true because I have eyes and a brain.

31 minutes ago, August said:

These talking points sounds all too familiar the more things change the more they remain the same. 

Blame backup QB's (and the men who pick them) who suck.  If they didn't suck, they'd unquestionably win the job.

Easy to get mad at Bowles.  Why people aren't mad at petty, Hack and Macc, I have no idea, THEY are the ones at fault.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Blame backup QB's (and the men who pick them) who suck.  If they didn't suck, they'd unquestionably win the job.

Easy to get mad at Bowles.  Why people aren't mad at petty, Hack and Macc, I have no idea, THEY are the ones at fault.

That's not even the point.  

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

It will be a draft pick or FA pickup.  If it's a draft pick McCown will be the backup/mentor and Petty will be cut. 

If it's a FA then Petty and Hack will likely be back.

I know this to be true because I have eyes and a brain.

No one lets quality QB's go in free agency, unless they're extraordinarily stupid.  So that option is out.

McCown will be 40 in 2019.  He will not be on an NFL roster.

Why would we cut Petty if we don't fully know if he's any good?  And why would Hackenberg be back if he can't even pass Petty on the depth chart?

These are questions that would be nice to answer this year rather than punting the decision to another time, all so we can shoot for a 7-9 season.  

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one lets quality QB's go in free agency, unless they're extraordinarily stupid.  So that option is out.

McCown will be 40 in 2019.  He will not be on an NFL roster.

Why would we cut Petty if we don't fully know if he's any good?  And why would Hackenberg be back if he can't even pass Petty on the depth chart?

These are questions that would be nice to answer this year rather than punting the decision to another time, all so we can shoot for a 7-9 season.  

Cousins, Garrapolo, probably Brees all FA's next year.

If it's a draft pick McCown will be back next year as a quality backup and sensational mentor.  Everything your awful conquering hero was supposed to be.

They'd cut Petty because he sucked last year and he started out this year buried deep behind McCown and Hack.  They'd keep Hack because he's younger and has a higher ceiling than Petty.

Anything else?

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

If it's a draft pick McCown will be back next year as a quality backup and sensational mentor.  Everything your awful conquering hero was supposed to be.

They'd cut Petty because he sucked last year and he started out this year buried deep behind McCown and Hack.  They'd keep Hack because he's younger and has a higher ceiling than Petty.

Anything else?

Cousins doubt it.

Brees, nope.  

Garoppolo is the only realistic option on that list.  Would you advocate signing a guy New England lets go?  That doesn't work well for most franchises.

I'm talking about 2019, not 2018.  Next year could very well look much the same, and you'd be justified in saying so.  I picked 2019 because, by then, we'll need a lot more clarity at QB or else people lose their jobs for sure.  

What's this "high ceiling" Hackenberg has?  You mean the guy who couldn't complete 60 % of his throws against Indiana in school?

It would be nice to see something on the field from Petty or Hack before calling one or the other cuttable, no?  You'll have to excuse me if I don't trust your judgment whatsoever on QB's given you were the very last poster off the Mark Sanchez bandwagon.  

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Anything else?

The mentor thing is nonsense on steroids and stilts. it's simply not true. Either the young guy gets it or he doesn't. But you actually have to play a young QB to find out. Jets have 2. 

Garapolo and Cousins are going nowhere Brees is looking for an easy payday. 

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Anything else?

Can't see Brees or Cousins being courted by the Jets. Jets would have too much $$ tied up in one player while the supporting cast would be made up of fill in players. Look at Detroit. All that $$ tied up with Stafford while the team is losing because he gets support.

For now I'm happy with McCown starting. If we get totally out of it then yes I'd like to see what we have in Petty.

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Coaching staff is playing the best 11 because their job is to win football games. If Petty was the best QB, he would be starting. And I would assume the whole organization agrees. If the owner, or management wanted Petty to play, and sent a direct order to start Petty, then I assume Bowles would have been fired.

Here is thought. Everyone in the organization agrees the best 11 should play until there is nothing left to play for. You ever think maybe Mac wants McCown to start as well. Since he gives them the best chance to win. Since Mac may be on the hot seat as well since he's the one who assembled this team. And maybe that's why he signed McCown in case Petty and Hack weren't ready. 

How about there is no theory and it's simply the Jets are playing the best 11 players to win the game, until there is nothing else left to play for. And everyone in the building agrees this is the best way to develop this team. Just a thought.

how does forte fit in your theory??

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

While it's kind of comforting watching McCown throw to Jeremy Kerley and Matt Forte, we're now almost halfway through the 2017 season and it's time to stop jerking around, or is it? McCown is McCown is McCown, etc. So what excuse will Bowles and the Jets use to keep trotting him out there? 

Meanwhile, 49ers just benched Hoyer and made Beathard (a guy taken in R3 that “experts thought would be undrafted) the starter to see what they have and get him reps. Ho hum.

22 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He's terrible and the Jets will most certainly lose if he starts.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Anything else?

Last year he was hamstrung by the CS that didn't develop him or Hack 2) VERY bad game plans 3) VERY bad OL play that got him hurt, 4) team had quit when he stated.  This year he outplayed Mac and Hack in Preseason with "only" 3rd team reps... TB will NOT start him until they are officially out of the PO.   

Archived