Should the Jets File a Protest?

Warfish

8 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Ahhh..I'm pissed, not about the call per se (though it was wrong) but moreso on how the NFL has become an unwatchable game.  Some things at this juncture just seem too contrived, with penalty flags seemingly being thrown at random based on however the NFL decides the rules are to be interpreted at the time.  There are so many 'rules', a penalty can realistically be called on any play, so the refs have little to fear.

What really burns me is that I honestly believe that if the shoe was on the other foot (i.e., that was Gronk instead of ASJ), I sincerely doubt that play would have been overturned...now, I know that's just my opinion, but if what transpires each week in the NFL leads me to believe it to be so, why the hell do I keep tuning in?

Last point, and once again, just my opinion, so whatever...but, if that play had happened, say, in the SB or AFC/NFC championship game, and was ruled a TD on the field before the mandatory commercial break, does anyone not believe that the NFL at least thinks twice about reversing the call on the field?  Really?

If the NFL wants to review every 'scoring play' because of it's 'significance', what about the BS PI call on Adams that gave the Pats the ball at the 1 (easy TD) and the non-call PI on Lee?  How about the picked up flag when Anderson got popped when the Jets were up 14-0?  It was helmet to helmet, and he was in a defenseless posture.

There's entirely too much randomness in the NFL to the point that too often the play on the field doesn't determine the outcome, but rather the league.

End rant.

Refs have a ton of power in the NFL.  Aside from the obvious stuff like we have no idea what is and isn't a catch (e.g. "he didn't make a football move"), think about how the refs spot the ball on every play.  There are probably many instances where the ball is spotted incorrectly by at least 1/2 yard.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing I don't understand is that the official explanation said that it was clear that he lost possession of the ball again when he hit the ground.  Did anyone see any evidence of that at all?  Forget about "clear" evidence...  AFAICT he had complete control when he hit the ground, and after...  

There simply was not enough evidence to overturn and I cannot believe they did it.  This was an indictment of the entire replay/league office review system. 

But protesting about it will accomplish nothing for us.  They're not going to review the game and decide we should get the win; they're not going to review that play and call in the Jets and Pats tomorrow to play out the last six minutes of that game as if we had scored a touchdown on that play.  We got f***ed and there is no recourse for it.  

I'm gonna go watch the new Star Wars trailer again.  It calms me down. 

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

Topic title says it all.  Today was IMO the worst and most lopsided officiating I've ever had the displeasure to witness.  From picked up flags, to phantom calls, to the criminal nature of the "no, not a TD, it's a turnover, lol!" play, there is no chance that the outcome of today's game was fair.  

Not saying we'd have won, the team has much to apologize for today.  A major opportunity was blown.

But that does NOT change that the officiating, at multiple key moments, made massive game-altering shifts via exceptionally questionable or outright fraudulent calls, that had a material outcome on the result.

I hope this franchise at least has the balls to call a bag of dogsh*t what it is, and file a formal protest with the league.  We all know they won't win....but ffs sake, stand UP for your players and fans, because both got unwelcome anal intercourse today from these Refs.

If we were 0-5 I would have paid the officials for their performance yesterday to make jets 0-6.  But no, this team will go 5-11 and we can pick the best cb in the draft ?

12 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yes, I agree. Football is rigged and that's why the Patriots always win and the Jets always lose. Also there is an easter bunny.

I'm not even bringing the rigged / non-rigged bit into it all ... my main issue is that the principle of replay is to overturn obvious errors based on irrefutable / incontrovertible evidence. Nothing on the video replays showed anything irrefutable / incontrovertible, so the play stands.

I think they've forgotten the principle of the call on the field stands unless proven wrong, and they're trying to make the call themselves, rather than supporting the on field crew.

TV crew said it best - paralysis by analysis.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

There simply was not enough evidence to overturn and I cannot believe they did it.  This was an indictment of the entire replay/league office review system. 

But protesting about it will accomplish nothing for us.  They're not going to review the game and decide we should get the win; they're not going to review that play and call in the Jets and Pats tomorrow to play out the last six minutes of that game as if we had scored a touchdown on that play.  We got f***ed and there is no recourse for it.  

They should at least review the review system. Was there sufficient evidence? If not, nothing to see, call stands. that needs to be reinforced.

I think the NY guys are trying to get too clever, look smarter than everyone else. "Look what we spotted, aren't we clever?"

we know they screwed, a protest means nothing.  they screwed us on that flag up 14-0 that they picked up, they screwed us on the Gronk PI that set up their first TD(though made up for it by not calling one on Lee later) then they screwed us w/ the TD. would we have won or even tied if we get the TD? who knows but we were screwed.

12 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Pereira says we got screwed. Some guy pretending to be a Bills fan says we got screwed. Nobody's saying it wasn't a pretty blatant screwup. But the nonsense about worst call ever this rigged that is completely ridiculous. If you haven't seen fifty worse blown calls you are one sheltered little flower.

Numerous talking heads said it was the worst call they have ever seen.  So, they, who play and watch football for a living are sheltered?  No.  You are just a moron.

Vegas had this as the stone cold lock game of the week, Check the Pick'em stats - huge money on the pats*

A protest filed with the NFL about the Refs - probably a waste of time and will result in retaliation at some point

A protest filed about the NFL and gambling in sports? - shoeless Joe was innocent in comparison - make history

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

The Jets will get a letter from the league office apologizing for the error and that they got the call wrong. Nothing else will come of it.

something tells me they are going to tell us it was the correct call and give us some excuse.

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If we were 0-5 I would have paid the officials for their performance yesterday to make jets 0-6.  But no, this team will go 5-11 and we can pick the best cb in the draft ?

There is simply no need for this level of melodrama.

If we're going to draft a CB then Macc is the problem, and he was going to screw it up no matter where we picked.

In the supposedly deepest QB draft since 1983, there will almost assuredly be a legit QB prospect available at where a 5-10 team picks.  Be it Falk, or Mayfield, or one of the half dozen other non-Darnold/Rosen prospects.  And Darnold and Rosen as FAR from sure things, don't believe the hype just yet.

What you SHOULD fear is not 5-10.  This team could easily wind up 8-8.  Now that might hurt who we can get at QB.  Maybe.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

something tells me they are going to tell us it was the correct call and give us some excuse.

I don't expect anything to come from it but I just don't see how anyone can say that he fumbled the ball through the end zone. I just don't see how.

6 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I don't expect anything to come from it but I just don't see how anyone can say that he fumbled the ball through the end zone. I just don't see how.

the ref already defended his call after the game, said it was an easy call.

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Numerous talking heads said it was the worst call they have ever seen.  So, they, who play and watch football for a living are sheltered?  No.  You are just a moron.

Everyone is frustrated and rightfully so but we don't need to call one another names. Thanks.

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

They'll just institute a new rule that somewhere down the line that benefits the Pats again.

12 hours ago, Freemanm said:

We weren't going to beat the Patsies anyway, but I'm happy the guys went down fighting and at least lost with some dignity. And yes, the officiating sucked and it was obvious they had a clear bias for the Patriots. Cracks are definitely showing on that teams

Not sure how you do math but adding 7 to 17 is 24 , which is what the Pats score was . I wouldn't mind so much if they manhandled the Jets on the field, but that was clearly not the case yesterday. Sure you might argue the game could have changed from that point. Just like the game could have been a lot different if up 14-0 the refs don't reverse the personal foul helmet to helmet hit.

On 10/15/2017 at 5:02 PM, Warfish said:

Topic title says it all.  Today was IMO the worst and most lopsided officiating I've ever had the displeasure to witness.  From picked up flags, to phantom calls, to the criminal nature of the "no, not a TD, it's a turnover, lol!" play, there is no chance that the outcome of today's game was fair.  

Not saying we'd have won, the team has much to apologize for today.  A major opportunity was blown.

But that does NOT change that the officiating, at multiple key moments, made massive game-altering shifts via exceptionally questionable or outright fraudulent calls, that had a material outcome on the result.

I hope this franchise at least has the balls to call a bag of dogsh*t what it is, and file a formal protest with the league.  We all know they won't win....but ffs sake, stand UP for your players and fans, because both got unwelcome anal intercourse today from these Refs.

Forget it Jake, it’s Chinatown

Archived