Bowles and Macc have earned their extensions

Phillyjet

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Only thing is the jets aren't going to suck any worse next year than they do now, not with 90 mil to spend and hopefully a decent draft. 

Macc will definitely find a way to spend that $90M.  But the draft will be a mess.  And we'll be right back where we started 3 years from now, with another "total rebuild".

And the next GM will get a pass because he had to escape all the bad contracts from the previous regime before REALLY getting to work.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Better to have a realistic perspective on the situation than to gush over Macc despite building one of the worst rosters in football in his 3-year tenure. 

The wins over Jacksonville and Buffalo would be nice if they're taken in a vacuum.  But they're not.  There's a bigger picture here.  This team isn't contending for anything legitimate anytime soon, and especially not if Macc is in charge drafting like he has done so far. 

But sure, yeah, give Macc an extension and lets roll with a guy who can't properly evaluate QB's, and thus needs to bring in an ancient veteran to cover up for his mistakes. 

He's made mistakes, sure, every GM in the NFL has had their share but he has done some really good things too. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They were 200:1 odds to win the Super Bowl.  If it weren't for us being 1000:1, the Bills would have had the distinction of having the worst Vegas odds in NFL history. 

The fact that they've won 5 games is more of a reflection of the franchise being so much healthier without Rex around, and little to do with the talent they have (or lack). 

Also the level of talent in their division is really awful spare the Pats' offense. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Kirk Cousins probably isn't coming here, but if he does, we're sure to overpay for him.  And he just isn't worth the kind of coin he'll get on the open market.  Let someone else do that. 

We need to nail our pick at QB.  Just one time, we need to nail it.  And the guy who took Christian Hackenberg in the 2nd round cannot be the guy to make that pick. 

Want the franchise to build off the surprising progress by some of our young players at mostly non-premium positions?  Extending Maccagnan isn't the way to get there. 

More likely Alex Smith is going to be The Free Agent because Mahomes will be taking over. Now perhaps he's going to worth a serious commitment, may be not. 2 franchises will have given up on him. And know if you sign him this braintrust is not then going to pick a QB in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Name them please.

1) Making tough decisions to rid the roster of guys like Mangold, Revis, Harris, Marshall and Decker. Some of those guys were great jets but they were clearly on the downside and allowed millions to be saved with 80-90 mil in cape space available. 

2) Picked up guys like Ealy, ASJ, Claiborne, Kerley to bolster roster. 

3) trading Calvin Pryor for Demario Davis and getting Kearse and a 2nd for Richardson who we weren't going to sign

4) This past draft has 2 starters and a legit running back in McGuire. Leggett looked like he may be a good one but we will have to wait and see because of injuries. Also Stewart and Hansen may be able to contribute if given the chance. Last years draft produced Lee, Jenkins, Edwards, and Shell who can be long term starters as well. 

Like I said, he has done some good things too. 

On 11/3/2017 at 3:29 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc will definitely find a way to spend that $90M.  But the draft will be a mess.  And we'll be right back where we started 3 years from now, with another "total rebuild".

And the next GM will get a pass because he had to escape all the bad contracts from the previous regime before REALLY getting to work.

I've seen this movie before. But it's a classic, which is why they keep remaking it.

Like superhero movies, only without any heroes or anyone doing anything super. So maybe it isn't like that.

Maybe more like they saw Jaws was a great movie (Patriots: Belichick+Brady), so we tried making Jaws II (nothing great but not completely unwatchable, i.e. hire Mangini, get Favre), followed by Jaws III where we got to see Louis Gosset Jr in 3D (i.e. Rex on Hard Knocks), and then Jaws IV: The Revenge, where - from the ocean, mind you - an angry fish sniffs out, finds, and - again, from the ocean - stalks the grown children and wife of a dead cop who killed a two other big fish many years earlier andahahahahahahajetsjetsjetswoodychrisjohnsonmaccagnanbowles.

Oh, by all means, extend them both.

We'll still watch the next one, Jets V: Jets vs. Predator vs. Alien (Woody vs Bowles vs Macc). We're Jets fans, which means we have no ambition for anything any better. Because the truth is Jaws/Jets II actually was unwatchable and we just don't know any better.

Go Jaws!

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I've seen this movie before. But it's a classic, which is why they keep remaking it.

Like superhero movies, only without any heroes or anyone doing anything super. So maybe it isn't like that.

Maybe more like they saw Jaws was a great movie (Patriots: Belichick+Brady), so we tried making Jaws II (nothing great but not completely unwatchable, i.e. hire Mangini, get Favre), followed by Jaws III where we got to see Louis Gosset Jr in 3D (i.e. Rex on Hard Knocks), and then Jaws IV: The Revenge, where - from the ocean, mind you - an angry fish sniffs out, finds, and - again, from the ocean - stalks the grown children and wife of a dead cop who killed a two other big fish many years earlier andahahahahahahajetsjetsjetswoodychrisjohnsonmaccagnanbowles.

Oh, by all means, extend them both.

We'll still watch the next one, Jets V: Jets vs. Predator vs. Alien (Woody vs Bowles vs Macc). We're Jets fans, which means we have no ambition for anything any better. Because the truth is Jaws/Jets II actually was unwatchable and we just don't know any better.

Go Jaws!

The Treadmill of NFL Mediocrity; never winning the 13 or so games to lock up the division, a first round bye and some playoff home field, never losing enough games to get that top franchise-changing QB with the commensurate high draft pick. Been here forever. 

Better to have a realistic perspective on the situation than to gush over Macc despite building one of the worst rosters in football in his 3-year tenure. 

The wins over Jacksonville and Buffalo would be nice if they're taken in a vacuum.  But they're not.  There's a bigger picture here.  This team isn't contending for anything legitimate anytime soon, and especially not if Macc is in charge drafting like he has done so far. 

But sure, yeah, give Macc an extension and lets roll with a guy who can't properly evaluate QB's, and thus needs to bring in an ancient veteran to cover up for his mistakes. 

This team is far more competitive than so many people expected. Why do Jet wins against NFL teams have to be analyzed all the time and always to have an asterisk next to it with some of you guys? The facts are this team is competitive in a season where so many thought they would be the worst team in the NFL, I mean 0-16 bad. Some of you guys just can't come to handle the fact that they are nowhere near the clown show they were expected to be.  

6 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

This team is 4-5 and were so damn close to being 6-3. If we were sitting here at 6-3 would you have called those wins junk? I know this team still needs a QB and some help in other areas but I see definite progress with them this year. Their 2 worst games of the season were the first 2 and since then they have won 4 of 7 and lost 3 games by 7, 3, and 5 points and 2 of the 3 played in last years superbowl. Macc has made mistakes but I like what he has done overall. I have hope as a fan that we can spend the 90 mil we have efficiently and have a decent draft and Im not going to apologize for actually liking the fact that this team competes and has won some games. God forbid. 

We didn’t win those games though. I’m not going to argue over hypothetical scenarios.

We list those games BECAUSE we are the team I feel is winning meaningless games.

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Revise history much?  Absolutely noone wanted Rex to win that game!  

Oh, that’s just not true. The legacy of Rex is the contingency of mouth breathers who still manufacture reasons he was not at fault.

As for Bowles the losses to N.E., Miami and Atlanta were steps backwards. This win was a step forward. He will need more forward steps for me to say he needs to be excited. It was a step forward though. Hope he can prove me wrong continuity would be a blessing for the organization and its fan base.

What I like is that the young talent is really showing something this season. A franchise QB can be the cornerstone for dynasty teams, but Super Bowls can be won with a journey man QB and and talented supporting cast. I have suffered long enough and just want that second ring. If we can continue to develop these youngsters and plug and play a QB on the road to a SB victory, I would be thrilled. I can't support routing for Jets losses in an attempt to solidify a decade of dominance, if it means giving up on one magical season and an awesome post season run!

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I keep hearing that he’s got them playing hard

its for the most part a team of young unproven players, playing for their careers, of course they are playing hard

I don’t think it takes much motivational tactics to get a guy like Lee to play hard

In today’s nfl get an offensive HC and a Swartz type DC, and you’re set

On 11/3/2017 at 9:22 AM, UnknownJetFan said:

Another area we can say is lets swap out the WR Devin Smith debacle with UDFA Robby Anderson, cause that guy is flat out good.

I hope Q's career isn't over, because if he comes back as good as he was and we find a decent QB and add a solid T in free agency, we'd have him and Kearse as the 1&2 and Anderson as a deep threat with maybe Stewart as a #4, and ASJ is playing well. Add in McGuire and we'll have a very good O. If only we can find that QB, though...

On 11/3/2017 at 4:45 PM, RevisIsland610 said:

1) Making tough decisions to rid the roster of guys like Mangold, Revis, Harris, Marshall and Decker. Some of those guys were great jets but they were clearly on the downside and allowed millions to be saved with 80-90 mil in cape space available. 

2) Picked up guys like Ealy, ASJ, Claiborne, Kerley to bolster roster. 

3) trading Calvin Pryor for Demario Davis and getting Kearse and a 2nd for Richardson who we weren't going to sign

4) This past draft has 2 starters and a legit running back in McGuire. Leggett looked like he may be a good one but we will have to wait and see because of injuries. Also Stewart and Hansen may be able to contribute if given the chance. Last years draft produced Lee, Jenkins, Edwards, and Shell who can be long term starters as well. 

Like I said, he has done some good things too. 

1.  Nearly all of those were not tough decisions.  The team was coming off of a terrible season and none of those veterans performed well.  And it made perfect financial and cap sense to cut them when we did.  It doesn't take a genius to do that.  

2.  Roster fill-ins are nice, but when you suck at drafting, having undrafted guys emerge is more of a reflection of the void created when the drafted guys fail.  It's not a testament to Macc's ability to "search under every rock".  He gets minimal credit there.

3.  The Kearse deal was probably the  best of his tenure to date.  And that's not a good thing.  

4.  2 starters.  At safety.  Because we had no safeties.  And that's a non-premium position.  If McGuire is a "legit RB", why hasn't he passed Powell or Forte on the depth chart yet?  RB is a plug-n-play position. 

So we're still spinning our wheels here.  Failing to draft a single impact player at a premium position is a death knell for all GM's thru 3 years.  I see no reason to credit him for the "under-the-radar" moves, because the long-term health of your organization cannot be based on that kind of foundation.

Nail your picks at QB, Edge Rusher, WR, and OT, then come talk to me.  So far the only pick anywhere close to that was Shell, who you overrate here.  

Moreover I credit a lot of the "feel good stories" on this current team to Bowles, not Macc.  

Bowles....maybe you can stay.

Macc....GTFO.

Mac is a good guy to have on the team.  He is not functioning like a full GM.  Has done some good, astute things, but his drafting is overall very suspect.  A few good picks do not make a great drafter.  He does not get the fundamentals of it.  He needs some support there, or a boss like Dorsey who gets the draft.  From what I recall, Dorsey was fired because of how he handled some contracts-look at the Chief's roster-he could be the best drafter in the league.  

Overall, I think to blow this up does not necessarily put the team in the right place, but they need to draft better.

The solution is very simple.

1.  Nearly all of those were not tough decisions.  The team was coming off of a terrible season and none of those veterans performed well.  And it made perfect financial and cap sense to cut them when we did.  It doesn't take a genius to do that.  

2.  Roster fill-ins are nice, but when you suck at drafting, having undrafted guys emerge is more of a reflection of the void created when the drafted guys fail.  It's not a testament to Macc's ability to "search under every rock".  He gets minimal credit there.

3.  The Kearse deal was probably the  best of his tenure to date.  And that's not a good thing.  

4.  2 starters.  At safety.  Because we had no safeties.  And that's a non-premium position.  If McGuire is a "legit RB", why hasn't he passed Powell or Forte on the depth chart yet?  RB is a plug-n-play position. 

So we're still spinning our wheels here.  Failing to draft a single impact player at a premium position is a death knell for all GM's thru 3 years.  I see no reason to credit him for the "under-the-radar" moves, because the long-term health of your organization cannot be based on that kind of foundation.

Nail your picks at QB, Edge Rusher, WR, and OT, then come talk to me.  So far the only pick anywhere close to that was Shell, who you overrate here.  

Yea ok, lets not give him credit for anything good he has done but lets bash him for his mistakes. Hindsight is 20/20 they say. Getting rid of Mangold, Harris, Marshall, and Decker was not easy and he got a lot of flak for it. Lets bash him for his mistakes and then not give any credit for the good things he has done. Im getting off this carousel. 

1 minute ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Yea ok, lets not give him credit for anything good he has done but lets bash him for his mistakes. Hindsight is 20/20 they say. Getting rid of Mangold, Harris, Marshall, and Decker was not easy and he got a lot of flak for it. Lets bash him for his mistakes and then not give any credit for the good things he has done. Im getting off this carousel. 

Getting rid of Marshall after first offering him a multi-year extension, you mean. Ditto Clady. 

The list of things he's gotten wrong dwarfs the list he's gotten right. Ultimately, that is the problem.

Moreover I credit a lot of the "feel good stories" on this current team to Bowles, not Macc.  

Bowles....maybe you can stay.

Macc....GTFO.

Macc ain't goin' nowhere bub.  You'll get over it.  

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Macc ain't goin' nowhere bub.  You'll get over it.  

You sure seem to unrelentingly love things that are ultimately terrible for the franchise.  Rex Ryan.  Mark Sanchez.  Geno Smith.  Now Macc, evidently.

You're the worst kind of homer:  One who never sees anything wrong with anything, ever, and embraces doing the same thing over, and over, and over again, even when it has resulted in the same thing over, and over, and over again for the last 15 years.  

You should be at least a little pissed off or frustrated.  Instead, you're smug for no reason at all.  

You're the reason this franchise never improves.  You.  

1 hour ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Yea ok, lets not give him credit for anything good he has done but lets bash him for his mistakes. 

Much of what you listed as good things were either obvious decisions or misplacement of credit that was due elsewhere. 

Meanwhile, he has a laundry list of things he's done wrong.  

That's not someone you hand an extension to.  You either fire that person or, at the very least, force him to improve at his job by the time his contract reaches it's final season.  It's not performance that you REWARD.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You sure seem to unrelentingly love things that are ultimately terrible for the franchise.  Rex Ryan.  Mark Sanchez.  Geno Smith.  Now Macc, evidently.

You're the worst kind of homer:  One who never sees anything wrong with anything, ever, and embraces doing the same thing over, and over, and over again, even when it has resulted in the same thing over, and over, and over again for the last 15 years.  

You should be at least a little pissed off or frustrated. 

To me it all goes back to the simple phraseology.

You cant fire the owner

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You should be at least a little pissed off or frustrated.  Instead, you're smug for no reason at all.  

You're the reason this franchise never improves.  You.  

Do you want my Paypal address for that $50 you owe me now or later?

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Mac is a good guy to have on the team.  He is not functioning like a full GM.  Has done some good, astute things, but his drafting is overall very suspect.  A few good picks do not make a great drafter.  He does not get the fundamentals of it.  He needs some support there, or a boss like Dorsey who gets the draft.  From what I recall, Dorsey was fired because of how he handled some contracts-look at the Chief's roster-he could be the best drafter in the league.  

Overall, I think to blow this up does not necessarily put the team in the right place, but they need to draft better.

The solution is very simple.

So hire Dorsey who is an astute talent evaluator and let him decide the fate of Maccganan and Bowles. Its not often that an executive with the resume that Dorsey has becomes available but he is and we should pounce on this opportunity. This will never happen because there isnt a chance in hell that either Johnson has ever heard of the guy.

The Giants will probably end up with Dorsey and Rosen or Darnold while we extend Bowles and Macagnan and go into 2018 with either McCown or Hoyer as our QB.

Archived