Baker Mayfield

DoubleU

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

wait....hahahahah you thought me telling you that your "analysis" that didnt include his short comings were an attack? Talk about thin skinned..........That isnt even close to what I would do if I was attacking you. Another poster pointed out that you were missing something in your analysis and I agreed. Point blank, period.....put on a dry pad and maybe your mood will change, you dim bulb. 

Not only are you too stupid to see "insufficient, biased, and immature" attacks the poster not the argument, you still can't come up with anything football-related to back your attack. Is this wiffletard comment all you have? ...

On November 21, 2017 at 7:16 PM, jetspenguin said:

I cant put my finger on exactly why but form some reason I just don't want Darnold.........I really don't want any parts of him in a Jet uniform 

If you don't agree with my "recap" that's perfectly fine. Write your own take with football points "like a man" (like Warfish did) instead of bickering like a faghole. 

5 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Not only are you too stupid to see "insufficient, biased, and immature" attacks the poster not the argument, you still can't come up with anything football-related to back your attack. Is this wiffletard comment all you have? ...

If you don't agree with my "recap" that's perfectly fine. Write your own take with football points "like a man" (like Warfish did) instead of bickering like a faghole. 

Looks like I hurt your feelings....GET OVER IT......

Insufficient means inadequate and lacking in information. You yourself later added what you defined as his short comings (Darnold gets cold and stiff in a run-heavy game) and thus admitted that your original "analysis" was lacking. 

Biased means prejudiced and since you pointed out the flaws of the other 2 QB's but not you one whose balls you are swinging from clearly it was biased.

Immature? Ok I'll give you that was subjective based on what you wrote but nonetheless still valid based on your continued responses.

I am not obligated to write an analysis of my own unless I choose to. If you are too much of a bitch to accept criticism of your posts then maybe you shouldn't write one in the first place or at least have the common sense to preface it by requesting that only people who agree with you should respond.  

You do realize how message boards work don't you? Some people will agree with you, others will disagree....with absolutely no explanation necessary. Do you really think that every time someone disagrees with you they owe you an explanation? 

I can see you didn't change your pad or clean out that sand yet.

On 11/24/2017 at 6:54 PM, sourceworx said:

Wow. Way to jump to conclusions, Sling Blade. 

I compared him to Sanchez because he throws a lot of interceptions. Suddenly that means I'm a bigot.

You're only comparing him to Sling Blade because he's white.  You could have named any other retard.

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I think he has the attitude and moxi for NY.

Bye no means am I a talent evaluator and have only seen him play a few times. What I have seen is an attitude one that ignites his team. Not the Johnny Manzel self centered dollars image more the Bret Favre let’s have fun guys and kick some a- -

The case for Baker Mayfield:

1) He's the best player in cfb. We never take take that guy for some reason. We try to outsmart the room with a Christian Hackenberg type. Last yr Deshaun Watson was the best player in cfb and we passed. While Mayfield is not as good as Watson imo, he's dynamic and makes plays and there are clear similarities btw the two.

2) He's a firey leader. I think his enthusiasm and intensity fits in well with what Jamal Adams brings. These guys love playing football and effort and intensity is not a problem. Great attributes to have out of your team leaders.

3) We won't be in position for Darnold/Rosen. They're going 1-2. And I'm never in favor of paying the ransom to trade up.

4) Josh Allen is overrated. A 56% passer in the MWC conf is downright terrible. What happens when he starts throwing against nfl corners? Accuracy is a big question mark. Didn't we just make that same mistake with Hack? Similarities btw the two are scary and we would be idiots to take the closest thing to a Hack clone in the 2018 draft.

5) Lamar Jackson is overrated. Superb athlete. Has the worst footwork in the pocket of any QB I've seen in a long time. I strongly felt Watson's game translated to the NFL....I do not share the same optimism for Jackson.

Mayfield may or may not hit, but he (imo) is the easy clear choice and gives us the best chance. If you take the "Baker Mayfield" in every draft, you will eventually hit on a franchise stud. Put another way, he is the Deshaun Watson of this draft.

6 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

The case for Baker Mayfield:

1) He's the best player in cfb. We never take take that guy for some reason. We try to outsmart the room with a Christian Hackenberg type. Last yr Deshaun Watson was the best player in cfb and we passed. While Mayfield is not as good as Watson imo, he's dynamic and makes plays and there are clear similarities btw the two.

2) He's a firey leader. I think his enthusiasm and intensity fits in well with what Jamal Adams brings. These guys love playing football and effort and intensity is not a problem. Great attributes to have out of your team leaders.

3) We won't be in position for Darnold/Rosen. They're going 1-2. And I'm never in favor of paying the ransom to trade up.

4) Josh Allen is overrated. A 56% passer in the MWC conf is downright terrible. What happens when he starts throwing against nfl corners? Accuracy is a big question mark. Didn't we just make that same mistake with Hack? Similarities btw the two are scary and we would be idiots to take the closest thing to a Hack clone in the 2018 draft.

5) Lamar Jackson is overrated. Superb athlete. Has the worst footwork in the pocket of any QB I've seen in a long time. I strongly felt Watson's game translated to the NFL....I do not share the same optimism for Jackson.

Mayfield may or may not hit, but he (imo) is the easy clear choice and gives us the best chance. If you take the "Baker Mayfield" in every draft, you will eventually hit on a franchise stud. Put another way, he is the Deshaun Watson of this draft.

He doesn't have the championship pedigree Watson was bringing with him and he hasn't faced anywhere near the level of competition.  

He has one or 2 throws a game, where you can see it translate.  The rest is to wide open WR's.  Watson was doing what he was doing vs. some of the best D's in the country, in nail bitter games down to the last drive.  It's a very different story which makes analyzing Mayfield extremely difficult.  Big 12 ball just doesn't translate.

14/17, 285, 3 TD's and his team puts up 60...it's not going to be that easy in the pros.  I think Mayfield has a HUGE adjustment.  But, I wouldn't bet against him.  He's got that competitive spirit you can't teach.  I wouldn't touch him but I don't think I'll be angry if the Jets fall for him during the process.

That said, I can't possibly see how Mac would think Mayfield would be worth a top 10 pick but Watson wasn't. 

Championship pedigree:

Not sure if Mayfield/OU wins it all but right now they're one of four teams projected to make it to the coveted cfb playoffs. That's nothing to scoff at.

Level of comp:

The level of comp is absolutely comparable to Watson's. For one, Mayfield took his OU team up Columbus, OH and beat the tar out of a very good Ohio St team in their own backyard, just this yr. And he will have more chances to prove his worth against non-big12 teams in the cfb playoffs. 

Macc's feeling on Watson/Mayfield:

Last, I would argue that Watson's success (who they reportedly liked and considered) would only further Macc's willingness to roll the dice on Mayfield. Similar players and Watson was on pace for the best rookie year of any QB to play the game....even Macc can do that math.

An accurate passer, who makes reads and sometimes throws guys open. When needed can squeeze a throw through a tight window. Average, maybe better than average arm power. CALLS IS OWN PROTECTIONS. Need to know his wonderlic (no dummies please). This is enough to get on the Jets radar. 

Fiery, natural leader. Seemingly loved by his teammates. Doesn't back down from a fight. Ultra competitive. He is the anti- Geno who wont sulk draft day, but rather flip the bird at any team that by passes him, marking them down for revenge. This is enough for the Jets to gladly take him in the first two rounds.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

That said, I can't possibly see how Mac would think Mayfield would be worth a top 10 pick but Watson wasn't. 

I think it was more a MacBowles love with Adams and the fact that Adams was so highly rated on Draft Guru boards.  I think they are in a very political environment and there is a positive to taking players who are rated higher than you pick that will not bust.  

There was also unfamiliarity with Morton.  I think Bates and Morton may be able to coach a Qb.  Who knows what they said about Watson.  

Remember that Watson also had a relatively slow ball, and a Jets first round QB will ultimately be judged on how they play at MetLife in December.  Mayfield could have same problem.  

The Jets would not pass on Mayfield, but I don’t think they get the chance.  

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

There was also unfamiliarity with Morton.  I think Bates and Morton may be able to coach a Qb.  

Re

mccagnan and bowles may not have wanted to bet their reputations on a qb in the early first round, then give him to a new OC and qb coach.  i can understand this.  i'd like to think the bates and morton will return, and mccags will have more confidence in his 'qb development program' now.

b6527b3f0decf52adb0e644d5c03903d_crop_ex
Brett Deering/Getty Images

The Pick: QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Is this too early for Baker Mayfield? Not if he becomes the answer at quarterback for the New York Jets.

Mayfield is a unique prospect. He's small (6'1", 220 lbs), fiery, loud on the field and has a massive chip on his shoulder that can cause some problems like what happened against Kansas. But he's also a poised player who creates with his arm and legs and can be the type of leader an entire team will follow. 

Some will brush Mayfield aside because he's too short, because he plays in a spread offense or because he's facing Big 12 defenses each week. I'm not worried about his height or scheme because I've seen him operate from inside the pocket. And if you can carve up Ohio State—a team loaded with future NFL talent on defense—you're good enough for me.

Rosen should be the top QB chosen this year if Darnold doesnt enter the draft.  I dont know how either of those guys would/could navigate the whole Cleveland thing, but Rosen's family seems like they could orchestrate something to prevent him going to a place he doesnt want to.  

After that, I cant see Mayfield getting out of the first round, but its too early to determine the "order" between Baker, Jackson, Allen or even a wildcard like Stidham.  

Personally I would be ecstatic to have Mayefield as our top pick this year and hopefully solidify the position for a long time.  My second choice would be to sign Cousins and draft Luke Falk in the 3rd round to develop behind cousins.  This team, with Cousins, 2 starters our of the top 4 selections and some FA help would be a strong team going into next season

I am no qb guru by any sense but I am all in on Baker Mayfield.  When Oklahoma is on it is must see tv for me as I love the passion and moxie he brings to the game.  For all I know he may end up being a bust but it would be a fun ride finding out.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:24 AM, Pointdexter said:

Championship pedigree:

Not sure if Mayfield/OU wins it all but right now they're one of four teams projected to make it to the coveted cfb playoffs. That's nothing to scoff at.

Level of comp:

The level of comp is absolutely comparable to Watson's. For one, Mayfield took his OU team up Columbus, OH and beat the tar out of a very good Ohio St team in their own backyard, just this yr. And he will have more chances to prove his worth against non-big12 teams in the cfb playoffs. 

Macc's feeling on Watson/Mayfield:

Last, I would argue that Watson's success (who they reportedly liked and considered) would only further Macc's willingness to roll the dice on Mayfield. Similar players and Watson was on pace for the best rookie year of any QB to play the game....even Macc can do that math.

Watson went to back to back Nat Champ's and balled winning one of them in one of the best QB performances I've ever seen vs. what people were calling a legendary D.  I'm sorry, I'm not impressed with Oklahoma winning the Big 12 every year.  It's a terrible conference and they're the alpha dog probably more than any other team in any other conference, the talent differential is that big game to game. 

Which leads to level of comp.  It's not on the same level, at all.  Like really not close.  In fact, didn't they meet in the playoff and Clemson smoked them?  And Mayfield threw 2 picks?  He caught my eye beating Ohio St. this year after an abysmal performance vs. them last year.  Though Ohio St. lost a lot to the draft this year but still he looked good.   But go look at the D's Watson faced and where they ranked vs. Mayfield.  We are talking 100's vs. top 10's. 

Mac said they didn't feel Watson was worth the #6th overall pick.  He seems pretty committed to his BAP system.  Nothing about his approach since he's become the GM tells me he's going to go against his system this year and I just can't see him having Mayfield ranked in the top 10 (which is where I assume the Jets pick).  When interviewed he seemed very confident in his approach and perfectly fine passing on Watson.  

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:
    b6527b3f0decf52adb0e644d5c03903d_crop_ex
    Brett Deering/Getty Images

The Pick: QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Is this too early for Baker Mayfield? Not if he becomes the answer at quarterback for the New York Jets.

Mayfield is a unique prospect. He's small (6'1", 220 lbs), fiery, loud on the field and has a massive chip on his shoulder that can cause some problems like what happened against Kansas. But he's also a poised player who creates with his arm and legs and can be the type of leader an entire team will follow. 

Some will brush Mayfield aside because he's too short, because he plays in a spread offense or because he's facing Big 12 defenses each week. I'm not worried about his height or scheme because I've seen him operate from inside the pocket. And if you can carve up Ohio State—a team loaded with future NFL talent on defense—you're good enough for me.

Like I've said before, the Ohio St. win and the way he played was huge for Mayfield.  It made me pay attention and I'm sure many others.  That said, it was week 2 and this was an Ohio St. team that was breaking in a brand new secondary.  A secondary that chewed Mayfield alive last year.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:00 AM, JiF said:

If he takes him in the second round then it will be a elenty Billionth times better pick than Hack, so progress and stuff. I mean for the love of food with friends all Baker has to do is have his uniform on for games days and he surpasses Hack.

Just now, The Crusher said:

If he takes him in the second round then it will be a elenty Billionth times better pick than Hack, so progress and stuff. I mean for the love of food with friends all Baker has to do is have his uniform on for games days and he surpasses Hack.

Not sure he lasts that long, Crushlove.  IDK.  Seems like he's gaining some steam balling week in week out.  

The bar is set very low by good old Hack.  Hard not to do better than that.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not sure he lasts that long, Crushlove.  IDK.  Seems like he's gaining some steam balling week in week out.  

The bar is set very low by good old Hack.  Hard not to do better than that.

Yes I know. Truth is we are going to already have a starting free agent QB on the team well before the draft. We will draft an O lineman and missed out on at least 1 legendary signal caller and prolly 2 real good ones. That in itself is a step up because at least its not a defensive player. Or is it?

Just now, The Crusher said:

Yes I know. Truth is we are going to already have a starting free agent QB on the team well before the draft. We will draft an O lineman and missed out on at least 1 or 2 legendary signal callers. That in itself is a step up because at least its not a defensive player. Or is it?

Kirk Cousins = $$$$$$$$$$ do not want if thats the case we have way too many other glaring needs. 

Alex Smith = NO WAY IN HELL 

Archived