Eli? It's Sanchez The Scapegoat You Should Be Outraged About You Stupid Fools

SAR I

19 hours ago, gEYno said:

The numbers that are "meaningless" are only so because you say they are.  And that only goes for standard metrics.  The advanced stats, which look quite poorly on Sacnhez, actually control for dozens of things to make them more fair, and you dismiss those for your own biased assessment which you don't actually apply to all QBs, but only to Sanchez, that puts Sanchez where you want him to be.  So, again, there's no point in arguing with someone who dismisses objective contradictory data.

He did lead a lot of comebacks this year.  In fact, Mark Sanchez unquestionably played some of his best football in the 4th.  That having been said, many of those comebacks happened in large part because he failed to show up for the 1st three quarters.  Ultimately in your analysis, you expect the defense to be essentially perfect for four quarters, and blame them when they are not, and then you ignore that Sanchez was ineffective for 3 quarters, and celebrate him when he plays adequately for one.  Maybe you ought to celebrate a defense that kept a team with no offense for 3 quarters still in the game in the 4th?  But, that doesn't fit your narrative.

He was really good in 2010.  he got hit w/ 2 bogus INts vs. GB which shouldn't have been TOs or at the least were fumbles.  His #s look much better w/o those.  He also had multiple TD drops.  I don't care what some out of context #s say.  he was really good that year.  Did he have some bad games? of course he did but the majority of the year he was good and then he played really well in the playoffs outside of the 1st half at Indy where he stunk.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

I love this argument.  A football game is four ******* quarters.  The offense's job is to score as many points as possible.  If the offense sucks through three quarters and then has to make a "come back" then it didn't do a good job.  The Jets lost 9-10 to the Ravens that year.  How about losing 6-10 to the Dolphins?  Or 0-9 to the Packers?  Is that the defense's fault?  Maybe if Mark Sanchez would have done his ******* job, the Jets would have won those games.  Those are three games without a TD.  That's pathetic.

Big Ben said that the Steelers goal is to put up at least 30 each game.  No wonder the Steelers are winners.  Going out there and trying to score 17 points and hoping your defense holds the opposing offense to something below that is a loser's mentality.

They lost 10-9 to Baltimore where the D allowed the Ravbens to convert a million 3rd and longs and hold the ball for 40+ minutes.

They lost 10-6 to Miami and Holmes dropped an easy TD or the game is different.  The O had a 3 game funk w/ the Cincy, at NE, Miami games.  Those stretches happen for most teams.

The comebacks that year were not 10-9, 10-6.  The O had given us a 23-7 lead vs. Houston in the 4th qtr and the D blew it.  Then w/ no timeouts needing a TD down 27-23 and having to go 70+ yards he led the most amazing drive you'll ever see.

in Cleveland when we held the ball most of the game and scored 20 in regulation despite 2 missed chip shots in regulation and then the D blew a TD lead in final minutes to Colt McCoy.  In OY our K missed another one then w/ secs left in OT we scored a TD.

at Denver in game 6 he threw his first INts of the year and as soon as we tied the game in the 4th the D gave the lead right back then he led a GW TD drive.

at Detroit we were down 10 w/ under 4 mins left.  Got the game to OT and scored on first drive to win it.

In the PLAYOFFS he got the ball w/ a min left down 16-14 and led a drive for a chip shot FG to win it.  Peyton Manning was in similar situation in 2005 at home vs. Pitt in div rd and failed.

Games are 4 quarters but the pressure rises late and our D melted in pressure spots numerous times those years only to be rescued by the O and that QB. 

It's great to have that goal, how often do they score 30 though? only 1 time so far this year. and how often has Ben come through late in games?  a lot. 

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sanchez haters want to talk about his post Jets career as if that some sort of confirmation that the Jets did the right thing in getting rid of him.  Stop already.  It's irrelevant.

Take yourself back to February 2012.  Jets had just gone 9-7, 11-5, and were an impressive 8-5 before the December swoon. What did the Jets do to help Mark Sanchez and the offense improve?  That is the critical moment right there.

That is where the Mark Sanchez trajectory changes for the worse because the Jets made some of the worst personal decisions in modern history.   Chaz Schillens, Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates, Tony Sparano, and the Tim Tebow Sideshow.  You were surprised that we went 6-10 in 2012? That was some sort of unexpected shock to you?   You don't think that with a legit offensive coordinator, a real receiving corps, improved offensive line, and NFL caliber tight ends that Mark Sanchez couldn't have played better?   You're sniffing glue if you can't see what went down.

By the time Mark Sanchez winds up on the Philadelphia Eagles, he had a season of humiliation with Tim Tebow looking over his shoulder and Rex Ryan throwing him under the bus at every opportunity, then a blown throwing arm and the loss of an entire season. That's two years of unnecessary torture inflicted by the Jets. Don't judge him after that. Judge him before. 

SAR I

The above bold paragraph is correct, the jets whiffed on some picks and the Tebow fiasco definitely didnt help the lockerroom. However at that point it was expected that Sanchez would have improved enough to actually make the players around him better, that is what good QBs do.  

Why invest in a top 10 pick at QB if you know that after 4 years, you are going to have to rebuild the line, and use draft capital on RBs and WRs - you dont.    You compare this situation to Eli, who were his stud WRs in the playoff runs the Giants had?  Who was the pro-bowl LT who anchored his offensive line?

Sanchez was an average QB on a very good veteran team.  Had he actually been smart enough to be a true game manager, he would likely be contributing to a team right now, but he isnt.  Multiple teams in need of QBs have dumped him because he simply doesnt have the mental acumen for the game, and that isnt the Jets fault.  He doesnt know how to execute on the field, turns the ball over too much, and simply doesnt get it.  Thats why he is a thrid string QB on a terrible team.  Its not Mike tannenbaums fault.

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

It takes 3 people to complete a pass:

1.  Quarterback
2.  Receiver
3.  Offensive Coordinator

In 2012, the year that you threw your franchise quarterback under the bus, we had the worst offensive coordinator in the NFL managing the worst roster of receivers in the NFL.

Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I

You keep repeating yourself about how everyone around him (coaches and players) sucked as though that is proof that he, himself, didn't suck.  That is faulty logic.  You keep repeating how the post-Sanchez QBs for the Jets were as bad or worse than him as though that is proof that Mark didn't suck.  Again, faulty logic.  

You might want to rethink all this.  In the 20 years I have been reading your posts, this is by far the most poorly reasoned and poorly supported arguments you have made.  

It's like watching a once sharp, intelligent man deteriorate via Alzheimers.  WTF happened to your brain anyway?  (Rhetorical question.  Please don't reply because I keep getting sucked back in to your Sanchez nonsense.)

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He was really good in 2010.  he got hit w/ 2 bogus INts vs. GB which shouldn't have been TOs or at the least were fumbles.  His #s look much better w/o those.  He also had multiple TD drops.  I don't care what some out of context #s say.  he was really good that year.  Did he have some bad games? of course he did but the majority of the year he was good and then he played really well in the playoffs outside of the 1st half at Indy where he stunk.

Interesting that when you manipulate data for 2010, you do so only in the benefit of Sanchez.  You fail to mention that he led the league with 15, by a wide margin (next closest was 9), in dropped interceptions.  Mark Sanchez threw an interceptable ball on 5.2% of his passes that year.  The only higher percentage was Matt Moore in Miami, who threw about 190 less passes.  These unofficial "stats" have a higher correlation with future interceptions than actual interceptions.

So, if you want to traffic in what-ifs, and bad luck, lets remove your 2 "bogus INTs," and add in Mark's dropped 15 INTs, then compare him to the league where you describe him as "top 10."  He still finishes last.  Worst in the league now when we fairly apply "what ifs," not just apply the ones we like.  And yet, we'd still have to remove every other QB's "bogus INTs" to be intellectually honest and consistent.  So, yeah, Sanchez was not good that year.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Shame on the Jets for destroying an obvious Hall of Fame career. And the Eagles, Broncos, Cowboys and Bears for not trying to correct the mistake. 5 teams that obviously just couldn't spot greatness.

What?  You are not buying in to the OP's contention that the Jets ruined Sanchez so therefore Sanchez's ineptitude while on the rosters of all his subsequent teams is irrelevant?  LOL.  That is about the most ridiculous argument I have ever seen anyone post on these forums.  

Sanchez had/has the physical talent of an average pro-QB and the emotional IQ of a 5th grader. 

All the world class coaching and mentorship was never going to overcome those realities.

Rex & Co did the kid no favors, but the failure of Mark Sanchez as a pro QB begins and ends with Mark Sanchez.

4 hours ago, gEYno said:

Interesting that when you manipulate data for 2010, you do so only in the benefit of Sanchez.  You fail to mention that he led the league with 15, by a wide margin (next closest was 9), in dropped interceptions.  Mark Sanchez threw an interceptable ball on 5.2% of his passes that year.  The only higher percentage was Matt Moore in Miami, who threw about 190 less passes.  These unofficial "stats" have a higher correlation with future interceptions than actual interceptions.

So, if you want to traffic in what-ifs, and bad luck, lets remove your 2 "bogus INTs," and add in Mark's dropped 15 INTs, then compare him to the league where you describe him as "top 10."  He still finishes last.  Worst in the league now when we fairly apply "what ifs," not just apply the ones we like.  And yet, we'd still have to remove every other QB's "bogus INTs" to be intellectually honest and consistent.  So, yeah, Sanchez was not good that year.

the bogus stat of dropped interceptions.  I remember this at the time, most of those were players diving for balls and getting hands on them. It was pure nonsense.  if you think he had 15 dropped INts you didn't watch him play in 2010.

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Sanchez had/has the physical talent of an average pro-QB and the emotional IQ of a 5th grader. 

All the world class coaching and mentorship was never going to overcome those realities.

Rex & Co did the kid no favors, but the failure of Mark Sanchez as a pro QB begins and ends with Mark Sanchez.

the failure had everything to do w/ the talent around him.  He's not Tom Brady, he cannot succeed w/ any players.  Very few QBs can but he showed w/ top 10ish talent around him he could help us compete for conf titles.  Post 2010 we took away most of the talent around him, in 2012 w/ injuries he basically had nothing around him but we expected him to get better. Mark on the 2015 Jets and we could have made a SB run.

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Vinny Testaverde didn't have a winning record or play in a single playoff game for his first 8 years in the NFL, played on a more talented Jets team with a Hall of Fame head coach, Hall of Fame defensive coordinator, Hall of Fame running back, Hall of Fame center, and an All Pro wide receiver, went 1-2 in the playoffs throwing 4 TD's and 3 INT's. 

Chad Pennington played on a more talented Jets team with a Hall of Fame running back, Hall of Fame center, had 2 years on the bench to learn the game, and went 2-4 in the playoffs throwing 8 TD's and 8 INT's. 

Mark Sanchez played one of the least talented Jets team ever sent to the playoffs with no Hall of Fame players, coaches that are no longer in the NFL, sent in as a raw rookie at 22 years of age with no time to learn the game, and went 4-2 in the playoffs throwing 9 TD's and 3 INT‘s with the highest QBR in team postseason history. 

I highly recommend that you find copies of Mark Sanchez regular season and playoff games for his first three seasons, watch them, and then come back here and tell us how an average quarterback would've performed so much better. 

SAR I

And remind us, what has Mark Sanchez accomplished since he left us?

You know, to validate all this keening and lamenting...

I highly recommend you find copies of Mark Sanchez regular season games for his time after the Jets, watch them, and then come back here and tell us how he would've performed so much better than the schlubs we replaced him with.

As a reminder:  Mark Sanchez never threw for 3,900+ yards in a season, he never threw more then 20 TD's (and never close to 31 TD's) in a season, never broke 60% completion % in a season, but he did average 17+ INT's/year and 11 fumbles a year, and was only better than .500 as a starter once in his career.

Was he good in the playoffs?  Yes, he was pretty good.  It's too bad he was so weak and ineffective in the regular season that he'd never play in another postseason again in his short and unimpressive post-Jets career.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the bogus stat of dropped interceptions.  I remember this at the time, most of those were players diving for balls and getting hands on them. It was pure nonsense.  if you think he had 15 dropped INts you didn't watch him play in 2010.

EVERYTHING I DON'T LIKE IS FAKE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Yup.  What Pete Carroll did when Sanchez left is unprecedented.  Everyone wanted to blame Carroll.  He was 100% correct.

20 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Come on guys.  Anyone who doesn't believe that Sar I isn't at the very least partially right about Mark's first 3 years here is full of beans.  He was adequate and then the FO/roster/CS let him down and so he failed.  We had an adequate QB and this franchised f*cked it up.  

The last time we saw a healthy Mark Sanchez guiding a respectable Jets offense he went to the playoffs in back to back years and had the Jets sitting at 8-5 in December of his third season. He deserved another chance under a better head coach and a legitimate NFL offensive coordinator. The fact that he never got that chance after all he had proven as a 22-24 year old kid is mind-boggling. 

SAR I

19 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He played reasonably well his first 3 years but there's no way in heck that I believe he was going to be a good QB even if he was given a good OL, good weapons and competent OC's.  Sanchez was a bum.  He could be hidden behind a really good defense and running game if asked to do very little but there are plenty of QBs who can be productive if there's very little asked of them.  That is not how you measure a good QB though.  A good QB can win despite less-than-ideal conditions.  I'm still not 100% sure that SAR I believes what he writes.  I think he might be posting that stuff somewhat for attention.

I believe it wholeheartedly.

2009:  9-7, 4-2 in the playoffs.

2010:  11-5, 4-2 in the playoffs.

2011:  8-5 in December before the D and injuries led to a collapse.

2012:  6-10 under Tony Sparano featuring Chaz Schillens, Glyde Gates, Stephen Hill, worst talent in the NFL.

2013:  Injured in preseason, did not play.

The last time we saw a healthy Mark Sanchez with an NFL offense you could call marginally respectable was in 2011 and he was 8-5 with three games against losing teams before the D fell apart and the locker-room imploded.  And even with the worst offense in the NFL the next season, he managed to win 6 games, something that we're not going to do this year with a few bonafide weapons, the likes that Sanchez did not see in 2012.

Never should have let him go.  History shows it was the wrong decision.  Every QB we've thrown out there since Sanchez has been worse.

SAR I

11 hours ago, Dcat said:

You keep repeating yourself about how everyone around him (coaches and players) sucked as though that is proof that he, himself, didn't suck.  That is faulty logic.  You keep repeating how the post-Sanchez QBs for the Jets were as bad or worse than him as though that is proof that Mark didn't suck.  Again, faulty logic.  

You might want to rethink all this.  In the 20 years I have been reading your posts, this is by far the most poorly reasoned and poorly supported arguments you have made.  

It's like watching a once sharp, intelligent man deteriorate via Alzheimers.  WTF happened to your brain anyway?  (Rhetorical question.  Please don't reply because I keep getting sucked back in to your Sanchez nonsense.)

Mark Sanchez was the constant.  The WR's and OC were the variables.

Let me ask you this-  if the 2012 Jets had the exact same offense as the 2010 Jets playing at the same level as the 2010 Jets, you think they still go 6-10?  Tomlinson, Edwards, Richardson, Cotchery, Holmes, Keller, all playing at their 2010 level, and you're going to tell me that Mark Sanchez is going to go 6-10?

No way.

Mark was broken by a terrible offense in 2012 which killed his confidence and broken by an injury in 2013 which killed his throwing arm.  Had the Jets put up a good offense in 2012 and kept him as their starter in 2013, who knows what he might have turned into.  Who knows what growth lie ahead of him.  It's a question that will never be answered.  It should haunt you.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let me ask you this-  if the 2012 Jets had the exact same offense as the 2010 Jets playing at the same level as the 2010 Jets, you think they still go 6-10? 

To piggyback off this: What if you also added in 1923 Jim Thorpe, 1972 Dan Gable, and 1966 Pele? You're telling me Mark Sanchez wouldn't have taken that team all the way? Cut the sh*t denialists. #staywoke

17 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Sanchez hasn’t done a thing since leaving the Jets.  

Exactly. Because we ruined him.

Scapegoated, ignored, undeveloped, betrayed, and injured. 

You people spend too much time thinking about what Mark Sanchez was after 2014 instead of focusing on what he might've been after 2012. You do this because it suits your argument and helps you sleep at night because the alternative, that we ruined the best franchise quarterback prospect we've seen in this town since the 1970s, is too difficult for you to face since you were part of the reason he was cast aside. 

SAR I

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

To piggyback off this: What if you also added in 1923 Jim Thorpe, 1972 Dan Gable, and 1966 Pele? You're telling me Mark Sanchez wouldn't have taken that team all the way? Cut the sh*t denialists. #staywoke

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'd also like to add that in no way shape or form did I Wikipedia those years.

Trying too hard my brotha 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Exactly. Because we ruined him.

Scapegoated, ignored, undeveloped, betrayed, and injured. 

You people spend too much time thinking about what Mark Sanchez was after 2014 instead of focusing on what he might've been after 2012. You do this because it suits your argument and helps you sleep at night because the alternative, that we ruined the best franchise quarterback prospect we've seen in this town since the 1970s, is too difficult for you to face since you were part of the reason he was cast aside. 

SAR I

I’m most focused on how he sucked the whole time. 

32 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I’m most focused on how he sucked the whole time. 

He didn't suck the whole time.  He was adequate....some might argue adequate because of all the talent that he was surrounded by during his first three years here....but none the less adequate. 

One thing is for sure.  Other than Fitz's magical year, QB play hasn't risen to the level of adequate since Mark's being thrown to the wolves.     

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

He didn't suck the whole time.  He was adequate....some might argue adequate because of all the talent that he was surrounded by during his first three years here....but none the less adequate. 

He dragged those otherwise pretty badass teams down. Passing the ball was the big flaw on those teams, largely because he sucked and sucks at it. 

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

The last time we saw a healthy Mark Sanchez guiding a respectable Jets offense he went to the playoffs in back to back years and had the Jets sitting at 8-5 in December of his third season. He deserved another chance under a better head coach and a legitimate NFL offensive coordinator. The fact that he never got that chance after all he had proven as a 22-24 year old kid is mind-boggling. 

SAR I

isn't it funny how Sanchez helped us win 4 playoff games and make 2 title games which are franchise records, he wouldn't have a losing season until his 4th season and we booted him for Geno Smith.  Eli has led the Giants to missing the playoffs 7 of 9 years and he is above benching.  You have to laugh the unintentional comedy.

4 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

It was just so Jetsy for them to trade up in 09 giving away a 1st and a second rounder to take Sanchez at #5 to none other than Eric Mangini and Cleveland.(while the ink on Eric's walking papers was still wet)

Browns  Jets  NFLs version of dumb and dumber.

they didn't give away a 1st rounder, they swapped 1st round picks.  See, we got the pick we took sanchez with.  in essence we got Mark for a 2nd rd pick which was an absolute steal.  In just 4 years holds all our franchise passing records and wins record. It's not his fault we expected him to win w/ Chaz Schilens and Stephen Hill.

36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they didn't give away a 1st rounder, they swapped 1st round picks.  See, we got the pick we took sanchez with.  in essence we got Mark for a 2nd rd pick which was an absolute steal.  In just 4 years holds all our franchise passing records and wins record. It's not his fault we expected him to win w/ Chaz Schilens and Stephen Hill.

Why don't the haters get this?

6 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Why don't the haters get this?

we have a miserable fanbase and I guess it's understandable since we haven't been to a SB since the 1968 season but it always irks me when we bash the few that have had success.  Mark wasn't great but we knew we could win w/ him if we put the right team around him.  It's rare to get an elite guy like a Brady, Rodgers or Peyton but we could have had a guy capable of helping us win a SB playing for us for a decade plus and we discarded him in the trash.  He's basically our Eli Manning, Eli was never great but if you put enough talent around him he could win.  His D/STs were great in title games/SBs and ours were not and the Giants kept acquiring talent for him while we just kept trying to build a D.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we have a miserable fanbase and I guess it's understandable since we haven't been to a SB since the 1968 season but it always irks me when we bash the few that have had success.  Mark wasn't great but we knew we could win w/ him if we put the right team around him.  It's rare to get an elite guy like a Brady, Rodgers or Peyton but we could have had a guy capable of helping us win a SB playing for us for a decade plus and we discarded him in the trash.  He's basically our Eli Manning, Eli was never great but if you put enough talent around him he could win.  His D/STs were great in title games/SBs and ours were not and the Giants kept acquiring talent for him while we just kept trying to build a D.

So why did no one else learn from our mistake, and "put the right team around" Sanchez, and thus win?

With the number of bad teams in the NFL, you would think, given your glowing opinion of Sanchez, that half a dozen teams would have scrambled to sign him and start him.  Why didn't that happen, and why has Sanchez's post-Jets career been a joke of a footnote?

Since you say he's "our Eli" and that both were "never great", let me ask you, do you think Mark Sanchez was equal or better than Eli as an NFL QB?  That it was the differing support that differentiated Eli from Mark, not their skill or talent?  Just curious.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So why did no one else learn from our mistake, and "put the right team around" Sanchez, and thus win?

With the number of bad teams in the NFL, you would think, given your glowing opinion of Sanchez, that half a dozen teams would have scrambled to sign him and start him.  Why didn't that happen, and why has Sanchez's post-Jets career been a joke of a footnote?

Since you say he's "our Eli" and that both were "never great", let me ask you, do you think Mark Sanchez was equal or better than Eli as an NFL QB?  That it was the differing support that differentiated Eli from Mark, not their skill or talent?  Just curious.

it doesn't matter what other teams did.  He was here 4 years and had ONE losing season(where no QB could have succeeded w/ the talent we had).  If the Giants don't go on to win that SB in 2007 there's no doubt Eli would have been gone w/in a couple of years just like if we win it in 2009 or 2010 there's no way Mark would have been gone but Eli's D/STs stepped up and ours did not. 

We won 4 playoff games w/ Mark and reached 2 title games.  The 4 playoff wins are the same # we had from 1983-2008,2013-current. the 2 title games equals what we had from, 1970-2008, 2013-current. That wasn't an accident, no he wasn't great, no he wasn't carrying us anywhere(who does besides Brady or Rodgers?), he wasn't going to the HOF but we could win with him and that is what matters but Jet fans would prefer losing w/ Ken O'Brien or Brett favre rather than winning w/ Sanchez.

Do you guys want a ******* tissue?  That bitch was broken by a sh*tty offense?  He got paid.  His contract was probably more than all those other players combined.  2011 - Sanchez named team captain.  Result?  Team folds.  Offensive mutiny.  2012 - Sanchez given big contract.  Result? Team is bottom 5 in scoring and yards. 

Are you guys writing an Ode to Joe Flacco because since he won the super bowl and got his contract the team has gone in the sh*tter?

PS:  Don't listen to @nyjunc Sanchez sucked in Philly too. 

Archived