With the 9th Pick; the NY Jets Select

JetNation

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Guard is in the best shape? Carpenter is having his worst season for the Jets and every game that goes by looks worse and worse for the Winters deal. The BPA being a G or WR would be a travesty because neither of those positions should even be considered in the first round unless it’s the best generational talent at WR. Your reasoning is heavily flawed. 

The entire OL is average to sh-t

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, New York Mick said:

You have to give up way to much to get to number one. 

If they get themselves a legit franchise QB that makes them a perennial playoff contender for 10+ years then no price is too steep. It's about time this franchise shows some balls.

18 hours ago, Pcola said:

The problem with this franchise is that they are so desperate for a QB that they just reach for QBs and they always suck. 

Was Sanchez a top 5 prospect?  Not even close.  But our FO/HC were so blinded by need that they took a QB just for the sake of taking a QB.  And it didn’t work out.  And because he was a top 5 pick, we started him for at least two years after we knew he wasn’t the answer.

In this draft, it’s easy to assume that Darnold and Rosen are probably going 1-2.  Then the big question is where do Mayfield and Jackson go?  Neither are the type of QB that Macc has scouted or drafted in his career so there is no reason to be overly optimistic.  

Here is where the problems start.  If, due to utter desperation that they start looking at Allen or any of the other minimally experienced/talented QBs early, it’s going to end up being beat case another Sanchez, and more likely going to end up similar to Hackenberg.

And we will be stuck with another crappy starter for the foreseeable future or until Macc/Bowles get fired.

Either trade up as soon as the league year starts or go all in after Cousins.

It’s a moot point.  Mac is going to resign McClown as his unmitigated starter for the ENTIRE season, waste millions on crappy FA’s, keep his 1st and 2 2’s, draft a qb prospect probably a guy like Thorston from NW whose not one of the elite prospects, and blow the rest of the draft picks.  He will sit behind Hack and McClown and neither will see the light of day. Welcome to the 2018 NY Jets. 

18 hours ago, Pcola said:

The problem with this franchise is that they are so desperate for a QB that they just reach for QBs and they always suck. 

Was Sanchez a top 5 prospect?  Not even close.  But our FO/HC were so blinded by need that they took a QB just for the sake of taking a QB.  And it didn’t work out.  And because he was a top 5 pick, we started him for at least two years after we knew he wasn’t the answer.

In this draft, it’s easy to assume that Darnold and Rosen are probably going 1-2.  Then the big question is where do Mayfield and Jackson go?  Neither are the type of QB that Macc has scouted or drafted in his career so there is no reason to be overly optimistic.  

Here is where the problems start.  If, due to utter desperation that they start looking at Allen or any of the other minimally experienced/talented QBs early, it’s going to end up being beat case another Sanchez, and more likely going to end up similar to Hackenberg.

And we will be stuck with another crappy starter for the foreseeable future or until Macc/Bowles get fired.

besides sanchez, the jets haven't reached for qbs, which really means drafting in the first round well ahead of when they should have been picked.  the jets have drafted sanchez, pennington, and ken o'brien in the first round since 1977.  so in the past 40 years they have drafted all of 3 qbs in the first round.  i think the opposite, that this franchise has not reached enough.  instead, they've been all too content to concede they have no hope of finding a qb in the draft, and instead import them, from boomer, to o'donnell, to vinny, to farve, to fitz and mccown.  

11 hours ago, New York Mick said:

You have to give up way to much to get to number one. 

If the thought is to trade up to number 1 then that means we've addressed a lot of needs in FA. $94M can go a long way when you don't have a contract over $10M on the roster.

ASJ - 3 years $21M - Cap hit $7M

Malcolm Butler - 5 years $65M - Cap hit $13M

Demario Davis - 3 years $15M - Cap hit $5M

Demarcus Lawrence - 5 years $85M - Cap hit $17M

Ryan Jensen - 5 year $50M - Cap hit $10M

Quincy Enunwa - 1st Round Tender - Cap hit $4M

Mo Claiborne - 3 year $30M - Cap hit $10M

Josh Catanzaro - 2 year $4M - Cap hit $2M

Sheldon Richardson - 5 year $60M - Cap hit $12M

That alone would take care of TE, CB (2x), LB, Edge Rusher, C, WR, K, and DE and we'd still have $14M leftover in cap space. If you don't like Sheldon then swap him out for Ealy and save half that contract. If we had an offseason like that I'd trade our entire draft class in a heartbeat for the top pick.

12 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If the thought is to trade up to number 1 then that means we've addressed a lot of needs in FA. $94M can go a long way when you don't have a contract over $10M on the roster.

ASJ - 3 years $21M - Cap hit $7M

Malcolm Butler - 5 years $65M - Cap hit $13M

Demario Davis - 3 years $15M - Cap hit $5M

Demarcus Lawrence - 5 years $85M - Cap hit $17M

Ryan Jensen - 5 year $50M - Cap hit $10M

Quincy Enunwa - 1st Round Tender - Cap hit $4M

Mo Claiborne - 3 year $30M - Cap hit $10M

Josh Catanzaro - 2 year $4M - Cap hit $2M

Sheldon Richardson - 5 year $60M - Cap hit $12M

That alone would take care of TE, CB (2x), LB, Edge Rusher, C, WR, K, and DE and we'd still have $14M leftover in cap space. If you don't like Sheldon then swap him out for Ealy and save half that contract. If we had an offseason like that I'd trade our entire draft class in a heartbeat for the top pick.

Cleveland is NOT trading out of the top pick no matter what you offer....Giants aren't trading out of 2 either.  

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

besides sanchez, the jets haven't reached for qbs, which really means drafting in the first round well ahead of when they should have been picked.  the jets have drafted sanchez, pennington, and ken o'brien in the first round since 1977.  so in the past 40 years they have drafted all of 3 qbs in the first round.  i think the opposite, that this franchise has not reached enough.  instead, they've been all too content to concede they have no hope of finding a qb in the draft, and instead import them, from boomer, to o'donnell, to vinny, to farve, to fitz and mccown.  

100% agree. In my lifetime the Jets have drafted 2 first round QBs -- in what universe is that "reaching" for QBs? The opposite is true -- they're too content with JAG free agents and late round projects even though the overwhelming majority of good QBs in this era are first round picks.

Now is the time. We passed on Watson last year because they supposedly liked this years crop better and wanted to give Hackenberg another year. Well, we're drafting top ten and Hack is an unmitigated disaster. Mac's only job should be figuring out how to get the best QB he can in the top ten.

L. Jackson- QB, Louisville. 

I think Jackson will kill the combine but there will still be questions about his accuracy, footwork, thinly built frame and reputation as a 'running' QB. That, along with the depth of potential franchise QBs in this draft will push him down to the Jets, who will take a chance, partially out of desperation, partially b/c they will be impressed with is immense upside. I'd love it if they got Jackson. But that's just me. 

2 hours ago, BigO said:

It’s a moot point.  Mac is going to resign McClown as his unmitigated starter for the ENTIRE season, waste millions on crappy FA’s, keep his 1st and 2 2’s, draft a qb prospect probably a guy like Thorston from NW whose not one of the elite prospects, and blow the rest of the draft picks.  He will sit behind Hack and McClown and neither will see the light of day. Welcome to the 2018 NY Jets. 

You mean Thorsen. He is probably gonna stay at NW, but I think he is very good. Bet you a beer:D  when all is said and done, Thorsen will be a much better pro than any of these guys this year except Rosen.

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

You mean Thorsen. He is probably gonna stay at NW, but I think he is very good. Bet you a beer:D  when all is said and done, Thorsen will be a much better pro than any of these guys this year except Rosen.

I thought he was coming out. BTW I drink only very expensive beer ? 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If Darnold still available after 5, I'd look into a potential trade up. Based on last year it would cost us 300 points which is a lower 2nd round pick. Maybe we could sweeten it with our 2nd round pick instead of Seattle's. 

Save me some of those mushrooms ? 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Cleveland is NOT trading out of the top pick no matter what you offer....Giants aren't trading out of 2 either.  

That was in reference to a poster saying that the price is too high to trade for the number 1 pick. If the number 1 pick is up for grabs IMO there is no price too high to get our franchise QB. I agree with you though, I can't see any way that the first 2 picks are going to be traded this year.

5 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

That was in reference to a poster saying that the price is too high to trade for the number 1 pick. If the number 1 pick is up for grabs IMO there is no price too high to get our franchise QB. I agree with you though, I can't see any way that the first 2 picks are going to be traded this year.

I think the browns do end up trading down.  Darnold has a lot of leverage because he can threaten Dorsey by saying he’d rather stay in school then go to NFL Siberia

From a football standpoint it makes sense.  They can trade down, still get a Rosen or Mayfield and a ton of extra picks

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

What's too much?

2 - 1st, this years draft and more. It’s not worth the risk when the team has so many needs and a star QB can be taken at 9.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

There’s a few QBs in this years draft that have the potential to be a franchise player and will be available at 9. Draft him then get a passrusher and work on the Oline so the new QB doesn’t die. 

On 12/20/2017 at 8:45 PM, Pcola said:

This is the definitive post IF we are choosing 9th.  

15 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You are probably right...but what if say John Dorsey likes Allen as a prospect every bit as much as Darnold/Rosen. And he knows a team like the Jets love Darnold, enough to give up the farm to move from 9 to 1. 

In that scenario, why would Dorsey take Allen at 1, when he could trade that pick to the Jets, take Allen at 4 and accumulate another boatload of picks in the process?

Cleveland 'should' do the obvious move of taking their QB at 1, but their second pick at 4 makes it interesting and less cut and dried. There is actually an outside scenario where they could even have the first and second picks, in which case all bets are off in terms of what they do. 

We could really do with Eli and the Giants finishing strong and beating Arizona and Washington. 

The Jets take Baker Mayfield, the BEST QB in this draft. If he is gone you trade down, accumulate picks and take Jarrett Stidham in the second half of first round.

No way we're getting Rosen who's not worth it anyway and IMO will be an NFL disappointment. Jackson will be there and is an intriguing prospect but is risky and not Mac's type of QB. Allen is a terrible QB who plays against inferior competition most of the time. Watch the game tape of him against Oregon's athletes and he looks like a HS QB.

25 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

The Jets take Baker Mayfield, the BEST QB in this draft. If he is gone you trade down, accumulate picks and take Jarrett Stidham in the second half of first round.

No way we're getting Rosen who's not worth it anyway and IMO will be an NFL disappointment. Jackson will be there and is an intriguing prospect but is risky and not Mac's type of QB. Allen is a terrible QB who plays against inferior competition most of the time. Watch the game tape of him against Oregon's athletes and he looks like a HS QB.

It looks like Stidham won't come out this year.

4 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

Allen is a terrible QB who plays against inferior competition most of the time. Watch the game tape of him against Oregon's athletes and he looks like a HS QB.

I can easily see Mac getting duped into Allen.

Is is true that Mac has travelled to see Rosen, Darnold and Allen play but not Mayfield?

On 12/21/2017 at 11:25 AM, kelly said:

..unless...

7bb33f6cbb3206c17b609d2ea7dc1c77.jpg

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Yea let’s keep drafting 2nd round QBs because of Favre in 1991.  Drew Brees would have been more timely and that was 16 years ago.  

2nd round picks from most teams that are OL, DBs, LBs = long term starter

2nd Rd QBs from most teams = barely a back up that never has to play

Archived