Bilal Powell heading into his age 30 season...

SenorGato

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Expendable sure but that doesn't really mean you need to cut him

1) Is he preventing us from signing someone?

2) Is he preventing us from drafting someone?

3) Is he an issue in the locker room? 

4) Is he a bad player?

If the answer is yes to one of these questions then by all means cut him.

1 - Seeing as $4 million is not pocket change, he’s taking up a roster spot, the cap hit is above the average at his position, his performance is below average then of course he’s preventing you from signing better players.

2 - As he’s certainly occupying a roster spot that any franchise worth their salt can fill with a draftee, absolutely he is.

3 - Probably not, but the team sucks on the field and he’s not helping matters there.

4 - At that price point he is a horrendous buy for his production. Even then the far more relevant question is whether he is a good player and that answer outright is no. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

You're upset about $4.8M for a RB who is not preventing us from making any offseason moves but you want to Sign Cousins to +$28M and draft a QB at #6 and complain about piss poor cap management.

Wait wait wait I want to appreciate how bad this post is for a second....OK:

So you’re pissed I believe it is a terrible idea to blow $5 million on a career below average career backup RB AND I want to spend on the position that has held the Jets back for decades? And your way of convincing me to pay the backup RB his exorbinant salary for his production and skillset is to point out that I want the Jets to massively improve at QB? Alrighty then 

12 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Theoretically, a team (that knows what they're doing) should be able to find a 3rd rounder who can match Bilal Powell's production at 1/5th of the cost.

A rookie will come in and be paid $800k/year compared to Bilal's $5mm, and hopefully provide some youth, speed, and upside, while being locked up long-term.

This is true but are we keeping forte?  If we are not we have Elijah mcguire in the back field and will have to draft two RBs.

I think it is a given we are going to draft one RB but why create a hole if we are going to have to fill it right away.

Also knowing this teams lust for veterans i see no way in the world bowles or mac would allow us to go into next year with mcguire and two rookies.

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Didn't some of you learn that lesson with Cotch?

Jerricho Cotchery...Kirk Cousins...Can we stop using players that are not Bilal Powell to validate Bilal Powell? It doesn’t help that these players were/are waaaaay better players than Powell has ever shown in his 7(!!!) seasons as a backup pro on terrible teams.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is true but are we keeping forte?  If we are not we have Elijah mcguire in the back field and will have to draft two RBs..

I think this post perfectly captures something about JN:

Talking about acquiring an elite RB: OMG moneyz and declinez at 26/Cantz use a high pick on RB! Position is super fungible anyone can do it!

Talking about cutting Bilal Powell: OMG we’ll be lost at RB! Oooh the upside we’d be missing out on! 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I think this post perfectly captures JN’s view on RBs....

Talking about acquiring an elite RB: OMG moneyz and declinez at 26/Cantz use a high pick on RB! Position is super fungible anyone can do it!

Talking about cutting Bilal Powell: OMG we’ll be lost at RB! 

I have no issues using a high pick on a back- you just have to be good at drafting other positions, which the Jets are not.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I think this post perfectly captures something about JN:

Talking about cutting Bilal Powell: OMG we’ll be lost at RB! Oooh the upside we’d be missing out on! 

Try answering my question please without the overblown theatrics that have nothing to do with the comment I made.

This has been a bone of contention for a while with me. Most organizations use the mid rounds to acquire backs that can step in or earn a few carries as the season goes on. Fresh legs, young mans position. Look at Green Bay this year- they had two that stepped in. The Jets dont seem to think the drafts a place where you find guys that can score touchdowns.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

This has been a bone of contention for a while with me. Most organizations use the mid rounds to acquire backs that can step in or earn a few carries as the season goes on. Fresh legs, young mans position. Look at Green Bay this year- they had two that stepped in. The Jets dont seem to think the drafts a place where you find guys that can score touchdowns.

No doubt or diggity for sure

it's a business.  it's time the jets started treating it like a business and not get sentimental.  sure powell is a great guy and all but he's pushing 30 and getting pretty well rewarded for his production.  if they can find someone better they should make the cut.  as for mcguire, he showed some ability.  you can't expect much from a 5th round draft pick in his rookie year but he still did pretty well.

i read one stat where it said the oline was actually getting good push at the point of attack.  if that's the case then the backs need to do a better job of finding the holes and gaining better yardage.

It depends on what else we are doing at the position.  If Forte goes, which he should, and we go with McGuire and another young back, I have no issues keeping Powell at a slightly reduced rate.  Its nice to have a veteran at the position, and he seems like a good team player, who would help out the young guys.  You can't have three young guys at rb, especially with a young qb.

Not sure the original proposal of this thread (I have the user on ignore), but Powell is someone you CAN look to make a cap casualty.

But with him, you do that in the June cuts when you can meter what you have done in the off-season, and if you have a better and less costly player in tow.

No need to do it now, as the Jets are not hurting for cap room, and you allow the offseason to play out. This is not a priority

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's a business.  it's time the jets started treating it like a business and not get sentimental.  sure powell is a great guy and all but he's pushing 30 and getting pretty well rewarded for his production.  if they can find someone better they should make the cut.  as for mcguire, he showed some ability.  you can't expect much from a 5th round draft pick in his rookie year but he still did pretty well.

i read one stat where it said the oline was actually getting good push at the point of attack.  if that's the case then the backs need to do a better job of finding the holes and gaining better yardage.

It certainly feels like they treated it as a business last offseason 

This regime has brought in Ridlley, Forte, the dude from New orleans that kept breaking his leg and getting hurt.

They have for sure neglected Rb for some time but i guarantee you that if they dump powell and forte they will bring in some other long in the tooth dude. 

I'd rather they keep powell one more year than go and get some other jag from another team.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This is true but are we keeping forte?  If we are not we have Elijah mcguire in the back field and will have to draft two RBs.

I think it is a given we are going to draft one RB but why create a hole if we are going to have to fill it right away.

Also knowing this teams lust for veterans i see no way in the world bowles or mac would allow us to go into next year with mcguire and two rookies.

It's moot anyway given your point about veterans. This is a team that played jeremy kerley this season over the young wrs they drafted in a lost season. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This.

give me Michel/Powell/McGuire 

Can Michael be a power back? I’d rather replace Powell with a guy that can punch it in at the goaline. But I wouldn’t hate that trio that’s for sure. I’d just hope they find a way to utilize them all. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Wait wait wait I want to appreciate how bad this post is for a second....OK:

So you’re pissed I believe it is a terrible idea to blow $5 million on a career below average career backup RB AND I want to spend on the position that has held the Jets back for decades? And your way of convincing me to pay the backup RB his exorbinant salary for his production and skillset is to point out that I want the Jets to massively improve at QB? Alrighty then 

You want to devote $35M per year for one player to sit on the bench for 5 years, I said hold onto the $4.8M RB who has no guaranteed money until you have a replacement.

You want to devote $35M per year for one player to sit on the bench for 5 years, I said hold onto the $4.8M RB who has no guaranteed money until you have a replacement.

Totally agree. Powell has easily been our most productive offensive player the last 2 years. With probably 100 million in cap space his 4.8 number is completely worth it

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

No, I don’t. OTOH, you absolutely do want to pay a below average backup RB nearly $5 million for his age 30 on the outside shot he was secretly misused for 7 years or they don’t find someone better. 

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

Actually...he's probably worth keeping if they draft a qb. Need somebody dependable to pass protect.

This.  At least somebody understands the importance of having back who can pass protect, picking up blitzes and protecting our potential rookie quarterback. Maybe he takes a small pay reduction but it makes no sense to cut him now. In addition,  he can be a valuable rotational player targeting 10 - 15 touches a game.  The whole premise of this thread is ridiculous as late round rookie running backs can almost never block coming out of college.

Forget cutting him, we should extend him 2 more years, and lower his overall number.  Powell is a team guy, tough player who can run, catch and pass protect.  He's been underutilized and adding 2 years and $5 million to make it a 3 year $10 million deal would be great.

25 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

No, I don’t. OTOH, you absolutely do want to pay a below average backup RB nearly $5 million for his age 30 on the outside shot he was secretly misused for 7 years or they don’t find someone better. 

Cousins will get $28M. A rookie QB at #6 will run an average of $7M per year

28 + 7 = 35

You only play one QB at a time so it stands to reason that one would be sitting on the bench.

And I've said I'd cut Powell if we have a replacement. I am not rolling into the season with 2 RBs.

26 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

In a vacuum, sure. He could be cut. But you have stated several times on these board you want Leveon Bell for nearly 20 million a year. I’m not on board with that move at all. Great player, of course, but not worth the coin or investment. 

Bilal Powell is a backup RB. He should have zero influence on whether to sign Bell or not, but his bloated salary at the position is certainly prohibitive towards upgrading the roster even beyond Bell. That’s a roster spot and ~$5 million that can go towards a good player rather than a bad one no matter what happens with Bell, who would work out fine anyway. 

Archived