Going Out On a Limb: The Jets need more explosive athletes, preferably with multiple and/or outstanding skill/s and through the draft.

SenorGato

So wondering how to find a mid-round RB led me to look up Kamara’s combine and college stats. I was STUNNED to see the combine results:

39” vertical(!)

10’11” broad jump(!!)

1.55 10 yard split(!)

@ 214 pounds

So I was all like wow I am stunned to find out this successful sports athlete can really run fast, jump high, and jump far. 

Fun fact: Kamara also caught 74 receptions over his two years in college. As a college RB! 7 recieving TDs! As a college RB! That doesn’t sound like much but in the context of a college RB it’s outstanding. 

Anyway, outside of Adams (who wasn’t wow, more by a hair) the Jets do not really have many (any?) athletes who nail the explosion metrics (vert, 3 cone, 10 yard?, broad jump) at the combine. These kind of athletes dominate the game today at pretty much every position but QB. The org’s inability to find a pass rusher is completely tied to not putting enough of an emphasis on these drills, instead targeting the opposite in Lorenzo Mauldin for instance. 

Sooooo....in conclusion I submit to you all, posters of JN, that the Jets need to land better athletes using specific drills especially during the draft. Preferably those athletes should have outstanding skills, mostly measurable.  I urge you all to consider this strongly and forward it to GM guy. 

Thank you

I’m going out on a limb and say the same thing has been said a billion times on here by numerous posters in less than 15 words. Get impact athletes with your high picks at the critical positions: QB, LT, Edge, CB 

geyno, sperm, TomShane, Jetfan80, Maxman, dmbatesman, Rutgers, fantasy island, Slats, Crusher, Sar I, joewillie12, peebag and on and on and on........join the club.

25 minutes ago, BigO said:

I’m going out on a limb and say the same thing has been said a billion times on here by numerous posters in less than 15 words. Get impact athletes with your high picks at the critical positions: QB, LT, Edge, CB 

geyno, sperm, TomShane, Jetfan80, Maxman, dmbatesman, Rutgers, fantasy island, Slats, Crusher, Sar I, joewillie12 and on and on and on........join the club.

Thanks Ph1l, just so hard to keep up with all the goings on. Much trouble in the world today. So our local scientists have deduced that the athleticism thing should be limited to those 4 positions? Consensus? 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

So wondering how to find a mid-round RB led me to look up Kamara’s combine and college stats. I was STUNNED to see the combine results:

39” vertical(!)

10’11” broad jump(!!)

1.55 10 yard split(!)

@ 214 pounds

So I was all like wow I am stunned to find out this successful sports athlete can really run fast, jump high, and jump far. 

Fun fact: Kamara also caught 74 receptions over his two years in college. As a college RB! 7 recieving TDs! As a college RB! That doesn’t sound like much but in the context of a college RB it’s outstanding. 

Anyway, outside of Adams (who wasn’t wow, more by a hair) the Jets do not really have many (any?) athletes who nail the explosion metrics (vert, 3 cone, 10 yard?, broad jump) at the combine. These kind of athletes dominate the game today at pretty much every position but QB. The org’s inability to find a pass rusher is completely tied to not putting enough of an emphasis on these drills, instead targeting the opposite in Lorenzo Mauldin for instance. 

Sooooo....in conclusion I submit to you all, posters of JN, that the Jets need to land better athletes using specific drills especially during the draft. Preferably those athletes should have outstanding skills, mostly measurable.  I urge you all to consider this strongly and forward it to GM guy. 

Thank you

I guess the opposite of this is to find solid football players, with football smarts, who produce and consider measurable secondarily.  Quite frankly I think you can find examples where each of these philosophies has worked out.  

But you're right,  Kamaras numbers are outstanding, unfortunately our focus was WR in those rounds.  Stewart was supposed to be that guy, but he hasn't done much yet.  If Barkley even approaches what Kamara accomplished this year he would be a huge success.

39” vertical(!)

10’11” broad jump(!!)

1.55 10 yard split(!)

@ 214 pounds

Thank you

Who are those guys this year?

Dammit Ph1l, I was making my post more clever. Ya shoulda wait Ph1l, ya shoulda waited.

Hey BTW I like it. Ph1l by day and BigO when the lights go down. Bamchicawawa 

Calling a poster Phil has got be the most demoralizing thing ever. I fear for the safety of his mental health. 

58 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I guess the opposite of this is to find solid football players, with football smarts, who produce and consider measurable secondarily.  Quite frankly I think you can find examples where each of these philosophies has worked out.  

But you're right,  Kamaras numbers are outstanding, unfortunately our focus was WR in those rounds.  Stewart was supposed to be that guy, but he hasn't done much yet.  If Barkley even approaches what Kamara accomplished this year he would be a huge success.

For sure you can, and I definitely agree production is a massive factor. That said for the draft where there are so many productive players with smarts, raw athleticism should be a significant factor in what separates talent. 

This is a huge problem, but I don’t see it getting fixed. The QB metrics are as simple and straightforward as you can get, and these mutts threw them overboard so they could spend a 2 on Christian ******* Haceknberg. 

Incidentally, the one great athlete they’ve drafted is Lee, who was a 90+ percentile SPARQ guy IIRC, but who is also utterly clueless on the field.

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Dammit Ph1l, I was making my post more clever. Ya shoulda wait Ph1l, ya shoulda waited.

Hey BTW I like it. Ph1l by day and BigO when the lights go down. Bamchicawawa 

You sir are a weirdo. 

Unfortunately its not just Mac.

Rex and Idzik didnt value speed on defense because Rex insisted on playing "his Daddy's defense" while literally the entire league moved towards smaller, faster players.

Darron Lee happens to have terrible instincts, but the pick itself wasnt bad because we desperately needed a fast LB.  Thats why you cant simply blame Mac - its like playing blackjack, the cards that come before the hand impact the current hand.  Had Idzik and Rex recognized that speed mattered as the league moved towards passing instead of using money and draft picks on the Demario/Harris combo which clearly was too slow – they wouldn’t have filled the defense with 3-4 DE and slow LBs.  Is it terrible that Lee seems behind Telvin Smith, Eric Kendricks, and Deon Jones, yes it is, but the pick itself wasn’t bad as you see the impact those guys have had on their respective defenses. 

We aren’t going to be able to fill every need through the draft or FA, because its tough to find impact players in FA, but if we do sign cousins, Mac will have the opportunity to take a guy like Bradley Chubb and possibly even take an edge type player who falls to the second round (Harold landry) and get an infusion of speed into the front 7.

It would also be great to bring in Kris Richard and dump the utterly useless Kacy Rogers because we could use someone whose team has valued speed in the past and can possibly alter our defensive scheme to better utilize Lee in space to simply run and hit, rather then play 3-4 ILB which is an instinctual position.

4 hours ago, SenorGato said:

39” vertical(!)

10’11” broad jump(!!)

1.55 10 yard split(!)

@ 214 pounds

Thank you

So, more guys like Vernon Gholston?

3 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

We were going to pick Kamara, the Saints traded in front of us to snag him. We traded back after that happen and then took the WRs.

15 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

So, more guys like Vernon Gholston?

No way to predict he would be such a bust. He had a great combine, I believe he set the season sack record at Ohio state, he dominated Jake long one on one in the Michigan game, and he was a consensus top 5 pick by the “draft experts.” So Jets.

26 minutes ago, Barkus said:

No way to predict he would be such a bust. He had a great combine, I believe he set the season sack record at Ohio state, he dominated Jake long one on one in the Michigan game, and he was a consensus top 5 pick by the “draft experts.” So Jets.

I'm not saying Gholson was the wrong pick. He was the chalk pick at 6 in his draft year. My point is, great athletes do not always become great NFL players,......  or even average ones,.......  or even below average one's.

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

39” vertical(!)

10’11” broad jump(!!)

1.55 10 yard split(!)

@ 214 pounds

Thank you

I ask you Captain Obvious does the term NO sh*t mean anything to you?

Both Maccagnan and Bowles live in dread fear of confrontation, so they surround themselves with yes-sir/no-sir people. Because freak athletes have been freaks since birth, they’re usually high-maintenance assholes—a personality type that Bowles has shown zero ability to manage. Every year Bowles is here, you’ve seen (and will continue to see) talented players who straight-up quit on the team and subsequently, anonymously, get hammered in the press and eventually exiled, then replaced by an underwhelming goober who calls Bowles “Sir” at every turn. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

FTR, I was huge on Kamara. Numerous times repeated I think he'll be the best back in the class and I'd take him in the 2nd or 3rd over Fournette, all day ever day.  

Just more proof I'd be the best GM in the league. 

Good call! Our two minds in the FO would really do this team wonders.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

FTR, I was huge on Kamara. Numerous times repeated I think he'll be the best back in the class and I'd take him in the 2nd or 3rd over Fournette, all day ever day.  

Just more proof I'd be the best GM in the league. 

Didn’t he have massive legal troubles?

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t he have massive legal troubles?

I don't know about massive.  Alabama suspended him for the Sugar Bowl for "behavioral reasons" and he was arrested for driving on a suspended license. Interestingly, one of the draft reporters said he was like Dalvin Cook only safer:

For teams who love Dalvin Cook, they’ll really love Kamara. While Cook had an outstanding career, there are many red flags involving him. Whether it’s injuries, usage or the numerous off-field concerns, you won’t find that with Kamara. Kamara’s only brush with the law happened in 2014 when he was arrested for driving on a suspended license and failure to appear. Much of that can be attributed to immaturity.

Despite that, he was suspended twice at Alabama and nfl.com said that the combine medicals would be big for him because of the knee injuries (red shirt @'Bama for preseason knee injury/sprained LCL @Tenn)  in his background.

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Both Maccagnan and Bowles live in dread fear of confrontation, so they surround themselves with yes-sir/no-sir people. Because freak athletes have been freaks since birth, they’re usually high-maintenance assholes—a personality type that Bowles has shown zero ability to manage. Every year Bowles is here, you’ve seen (and will continue to see) talented players who straight-up quit on the team and subsequently, anonymously, get hammered in the press and eventually exiled, then replaced by an underwhelming goober who calls Bowles “Sir” at every turn. 

This is an interesting theory, but the simplest explanation is that they’re both the kind of idiot who chuckles derisively at the word “analytics.”

Kamara is a luxury we needed another safety after taking one a 6th overall.  We also had to hold on to some later picks rather than to trade up in the 3rd to get him.

Box safeties >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> play making TD scoring RBs , when will you people learn this!

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is an interesting theory, but the simplest explanation is that they’re both the kind of idiot who chuckles derisively at the word “analytics.”

I think it's safe to say, similar to Mangini years, any character issues pretty much wipes you off their board. 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Kamara readily admits that he had serious maturity problems as well. In his defense, he seems to have overcome them. All the credit to him if he maintains

A college kid with maturity issues?  Unheard of!!!!!

///somewhere Bake Mayfield is grabbing his junk and flicking you off

Archived