Report Claims Jets Have Spoken to Cousins Camp, Fear he’s Heading to Vikes

JetNation

the reality of this gives me pause, I know it makes sense for a midwest kid to prefer the midwest team, add the talent and the Vikings seem like a perfect fit, on the other hand the Jets options are not good without Cousins
Bridgewater is possibly the best option at only 25 but health questions are valid
A.J. McCarron had a few decent games in 2015 but probably headed to Browns to reunite with HC
Keenum looked good at times last year but could revert to form without Shurmur, former Vikings OC now vagiant HC and Stefanski Vikings QB coach on lockdown
McCown and Fitz are FA again - surprising no one (repeat of the last few years anyone?)
Bradford took $114m from NFL teams to date, but has never taken a team to the playoffs, don't think he has even played an entire 16 game season and is on the downside of his career  
and the Jets pick 6th in a draft with 2-3 top QB's and 2-3 other QB's who are even more of a gamble...  options are trade up, reach, trade down or hope for Chubb or Barkley and a second round QB (sounds familiar)
this sucks

Trade up only option

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

Trade up only option

Trade up only option

Trade up only option

There's a glitch in The Matrix

49 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Not sure how much I believe La Confora, he's been screaming Cousins is Jets bound for a long time now, at this point I think he just wants to be right or wants a big market to click on his articles

I'm taking it was a grain of salt, but it seems like a money play for Cousins.  He's not trying to raise the money on Vikes, but trying to get all he can out of the Jets.  It's his right.  If he can get $50-60 million for 1 season out of the Jets, why would he say no?

Looks like Allen Robinson may hit the market after all.

Signing Robinson and Richburg right at the start of FA would sure as hell give Cousins something to think about.

Robinson supposedly said he’s seeking $10-12 million a year with around $24 million guaranteed. That’s not bad at all for a young, legit #1 WR who when healthy is essentially Brandon Marshall without the headaches.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Vikes have over $60 mil in cap space. As people have been telling you all year, “$100 mil in cap space!!!” isn’t as big a deal as you chose to believe. Half the teams in the league have $50mm plus. All you had to do was look at the free agent pool—nobody loses good young players anymore. No GM panics about the cap anymore. 

Plus the franchise tag kills free agency. You are left with overpaying mediocre talent. 

Rookie wage scale and rising cap numbers make cap space a plentiful resource. Market is just now starting to catch up imo. 

Just offer Cousins an irresponsible amount of money and don't let him leave the building.

It fits with the Mac/Bowles narrative; Bowles gets the veteran quarterback, Mac gets to take BPA @ 6 (hey it's a guard!) and everyone sleeps easier from ownership down to season ticket holder.

It's short-term-ism at its most potent.  It's the New York Jets.  It's a 10-6 season, a playoff birth and a one-and-done after we travel to Kansas City or Oakland on wildcard weekend.  And I'll take that.  

Half the quarterbacks we're all taking about in this draft are going to bust, and I don't know who they are - and I don't have confidence that Bowles & Mac know either.  

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

Just offer Cousins an irresponsible amount of money and don't let him leave the building.

It fits with the Mac/Bowles narrative; Bowles gets the veteran quarterback, Mac gets to take BPA @ 6 (hey it's a guard!) and everyone sleeps easier from ownership down to season ticket holder.

It's short-term-ism at its most potent.  It's the New York Jets.  It's a 10-6 season, a playoff birth and a one-and-done after we travel to Kansas City or Oakland on wildcard weekend.  And I'll take that.  

Half the quarterbacks in this draft are going to bust, and I don't know who they are - and I don't have the confidence that Bowles & Mac know either.  

it would be quite ironic and hypocritical after enduring an entire season in which the gm's mantra has been for us to 'be patient' and 'expect a full rebuild'.  rebuild my ass.

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Looks like Allen Robinson may hit the market after all.

Signing Robinson and Richburg right at the start of FA would sure as hell give Cousins something to think about.

Robinson supposedly said he’s seeking $10-12 million a year with around $24 million guaranteed. That’s not bad at all for a young, legit #1 WR who when healthy is essentially Brandon Marshall without the headaches.

Sign me up. Still plenty left over for Cousins, Center and a CB. 

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it would be quite ironic and hypocritical after enduring an entire season in which the gm's mantra has been for us to 'be patient' and 'expect a full rebuild'.  rebuild my ass.

How were we rebuilding starting a 39 year old quarterback with a second-year-second-round pick rotting on the bench?

How were we rebuilding by taking back-to-back safeties in the first two rounds and having them start right-away?

I don't know what plan the organization was adhering to last year and I don't think they knew either.  Cut all the veterans but then draft for immediate need?  Like we were two safeties away from contention?  

If we signed Cousins, at least I could see last year as "ohhhhh we were clearing cap space for this move, ohhhh now Bates makes sense, ohhhhh winning those meaningless games in October were to show that we're not the Browns".  It would fit into a plan and make sense.

If we miss out on Cousins, sit at 6 and watch all the good quarterbacks be drafted ahead of us, then we might as well be Arsenal Football Club and us fans might as well bring "Maccagnan/Bowles/Johnson OUT!" signs to every game.  

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

How were we rebuilding starting a 39 year old quarterback with a second-year-second-round pick rotting on the bench?

They knew Hack was a disaster and needed a Vet Qb on the roster to help develop the rest of the offense. How do you plan on developing kids like Enunwa/Anderson without a competent QB? 

8 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

How were we rebuilding by taking back-to-back safeties in the first two rounds and having them start right-away?

Macc takes BPA. Those were BPA according to him. If we end up being a really good team and the safeties are pro bowlers like when the Seahawks dominated with guys like Thomas and Chancellor it will look good. 

Yeah, QB is far far more important, but obviously they didn't love Watson/Mahommes. Watson looked great and by all accounts Mahommes looks legit. If we don't snag a franchise QB this year and Watson/Mahommes develop into franchise QBs then macc will get fired. But let's wait and see how things play out before freaking out like everyone else on twitter. For all we know Watson follows the career path of RG3 (repeated knee injuries that hurts his development) and Mahommes doesn't blossom into a franchise QB meanwhile the QB Macc takes this year ends up being a stud. 

Good, move on from Cousins he's not the answer anyway. He's not worth the money he will demand he has never won anything in the NFL id rather a rookie who will grow with this team.  Spend cap money wisely get some talent in here and draft like you never drafted before and hope for the best. 

J-E-T-S  JETS JETS JETS 

58 minutes ago, SMC said:

I'm taking it was a grain of salt, but it seems like a money play for Cousins.  He's not trying to raise the money on Vikes, but trying to get all he can out of the Jets.  It's his right.  If he can get $50-60 million for 1 season out of the Jets, why would he say no?

I agree, Vikings couldn't match that and he'd be a fool to reject it, I just have trouble believing the Jets can get a marquee FA especially a QB. We've been so QB starved and spurned by the Asomughas and Hightowers of the world it's hard to imagine us in the driver's seat for any guy, especially Cousins, but it's looking that way. The Jet fan in me is skeptical and anticipating disappointment, I hope I'm wrong.

From the "woe is me" perspective, If we finish runner-up to the Vikings, it literally seems like we are just jinxed.  A Super Bowl contending team like the Vikes have 3 QB's all become free agents when there is a guy like Cosuins available and we have all this money to spend.  

Just now, prime21 said:

From the "woe is me" perspective, If we finish runner-up to the Vikings, it literally seems like we are just jinxed.  A Super Bowl contending team like the Vikes have 3 QB's all become free agents when there is a guy like Cosuins available and we have all this money to spend.  

and then the jets could even potentially lose out pursuing the 3 qbs who shake loose.

Just now, prime21 said:

The worst part of that scenario is that he goes to a team not drafting ahead of us and the price for the top 3 picks goes way up 

Just now, prime21 said:

And then the Jets lose out on the best QBs in the draft because we won some meaningless games in a terrible season, at least we played tough and spirited. 

5 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Or really lucky this way we won't miss out on Baker Mayfield.

27 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Macc takes BPA. Those were BPA according to him. If we end up being a really good team and the safeties are pro bowlers like when the Seahawks dominated with guys like Thomas and Chancellor it will look good. 

Yeah, QB is far far more important, but obviously they didn't love Watson/Mahommes. Watson looked great and by all accounts Mahommes looks legit. If we don't snag a franchise QB this year and Watson/Mahommes develop into franchise QBs then macc will get fired. But let's wait and see how things play out before freaking out like everyone else on twitter. For all we know Watson follows the career path of RG3 (repeated knee injuries that hurts his development) and Mahommes doesn't blossom into a franchise QB meanwhile the QB Macc takes this year ends up being a stud. 

I don't actually have a problem with the Maye pick in a vacuum - but taking Maye after taking Adams @ 6 a round earlier?

And there is a big difference between the abilities of Adams and Earl Thomas; a true coverage free safety like Earl Thomas is worth a high pick - an in-the-box safety is not.  This is 21st-century football; coverage and pass rush is everything -  I can get Rontez f***ing Miles to come up and be the 8th man in the box.  

And there's a big difference between the cost of Adams and the cost of Chancellor; Chancellor was a fifth-round pick.  And think about how much easier it is for a strong safety like Chancellor to play in front of a free safety like Thomas - this is why Thomas is so valuable:  He allows Chancellor to be Chancellor and play to his strengths because Thomas will always have that deep-middle on lock and his presence there will push the ball to the outside flats or to the short middle where Kam can come with a full head of steam and blow-up the receiver; doing what he does best.  

I liked Mahomes.  Looks like we missed big on Marshon Lattimore.  TJ Watt looks like a player.  Ryan Ramczyk must have played well.  And I was wrong about Deshaun Watson.

The common thread between of all those guys is that they play premium positions:  two quarterbacks, a corner, a pass rusher and a tackle.  

We chose a strong safety.  And then we chose another.  

They knew Hack was a disaster and needed a Vet Qb on the roster to help develop the rest of the offense. How do you plan on developing kids like Enunwa/Anderson without a competent QB? 

I don't plan my franchise-building around developing Enunwa and Anderson!  

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think the MacBowles failure on Watson and Mahomes was that they were one of the last FOs in the NFL to realize that you can take a QB who ran a very not-NFL offense in college and design an offense for them that will work in the NFL.  So Andy Reid, a pretty smart but flawed coach, was willing trade his veteran fairly priced QB and roll with the second year QB that the Jets passed over so they could draft an unathletic high floor safety too short to cover tall TEs?

Taking an inaccurate college QB who ran a pro offense freshman year and think that he could become an NFL QB was obviously not a good strategy.

I think in 10 months we will conclude that MacBowles, either together or separate, are just not very smart.  

Too many of you are making the Vikings out to be some type of powerhouse.  They're not - they had a nice season in a crappy division (with Rodgers out)

They should have lost in the 1st round of the playoffs (one of the luckiest plays in NFL playoff history) and got blown out, giving up 38 points in the NFC Championship game.

Are they better positioned than the Jets, sure - but let's not pretend they're something they're not.

22 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the MacBowles failure on Watson and Mahomes was that they were one of the last FOs in the NFL to realize that you can take a QB who ran a very not-NFL offense in college and design an offense for them that will work in the NFL.  So Andy Reid, a pretty smart but flawed coach, was willing trade his veteran fairly priced QB and roll with the second year QB that the Jets passed over so they could draft an unathletic high floor safety too short to cover tall TEs?

This narrative has gotten out of control....

Watson - played 7 games and got hurt (who knows if he can keep up that pace or even stay on the field) for all we know Mac passed on him because he was an injury risk.  I'm almost certain had the Jets drafted him and he got hurt after 7 weeks most on this board would be killing Mac for drafting a high injury risk QB - http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/deshaun-watson/7744

Mahomes -  He has thrown a sum total of 54 passes for 390 yards.  He's completed 34 passes in his entire career.  We know almost as little about him as the four top picks in this draft.

The hatred of Jamal Adams has to stop because its not even based on him, it's based on who else they could have taken.

And that's not fair to him and shows a complete lack of humanity. Which to some extent, coming from jets fans is not a surprise. I myself lose humanity here

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Too many of you are making the Vikings out to be some type of powerhouse.  They're not - they had a nice season in a crappy division (with Rodgers out)

They should have lost in the 1st round of the playoffs (one of the luckiest plays in NFL playoff history) and got blown out, giving up 38 points in the NFC Championship game.

Are they better positioned than the Jets, sure - but let's not pretend they're something they're not.

they were contenders, Rodgers or not.

Other than a few extra million dollars, what reason is there for Cousins to come here?

Lets make the comparison:

OL: Minnesota is significantly better

RB: Minnesota is way better

WR: Minnesota is much better

TE: Minnesota is much better.

Coaching: Hahahahahahahahahaha! Bowles is the clincher. No QB would ever want this idiot forcing an offense suited to 1962.  

Fans: Full house every Sunday, unlike here. Loyal fan base not likely to turn on him, unlike here.  No second team that gets all the positive attention like here.

I would question Cousins' sanity if he elected the Jets over the Vikings.  

Just now, Dcat said:

Other than a few extra million dollars, what reason is there for Cousins to come here?

Coaching: Hahahahahahahahahaha! Bowles is the clincher. No QB would ever want this idiot forcing an offense suited to 1962.  

Fans: Full house every Sunday, unlike here. Loyal fan base not likely to turn on him, unlike here.  No second team that gets all the positive attention like here.

they play in a dome, stats will be better, and they won't have to go through brady and belichick to win the division.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The hatred of Jamal Adams has to stop because its not even based on him, it's based on who else they could have taken.

And that's not fair to him and shows a complete lack of humanity. Which to some extent, coming from jets fans is not a surprise. I myself lose humanity here

agreed, but you have to admit he produced way more with his mouth than on the field.  Another year like that and we'll have our 2nd Darron Lee.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

agreed, but you have to admit he produced way more with his mouth than on the field.  Another year like that and we'll have our 2nd Darron Lee.

Then why was he named to the NFL All Rookie team? Over people that had better stats than he did. Give me a ******* break.  

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Not sure how you gloss over and write with a straight face "a few extra million dollars" like that doesn't mean anything.  And I'm hearing $10mm more guaranteed is where the Jets are.  

I think most are giving the Vikings too much credit and the Jets too little.

I don't want the guy - but if feels like he's coming here and it's not because he's crazy or stupid.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This is football.  Any play could be your last.  In fact, any play could paralyze you.  

Go for the most guaranteed money.  

At least that's how I justify Cousins choosing us; I think it's entirely rational. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He wasn't perfect but he was better than average. He has to improve in coverage, but he was pretty bloody good otherwise. An opinion echoed by the vast majority of people who aren't blaming him for the Jets not picking a QB at 6. 

FWIW I'd obviously rather we had picked Watson or Mahomes, but we didn't. We have Adams now, who had a good first season, and all people can do is have a go at him. It's like people want him to fail so it supports their original stance of "i would not have made that pick". Which is ridiculous. 

Archived