NYP: The Whispers around Giants’ No. 2 pick

C Mart

Yep it's less than 2 weeks out so it's BS season but for some Sunday reading. I underlined the Chubb comment which is big IMO..Giants can still get a quality RB later in the draft..After Chubb the dropoff is as large as any position in the draft.  

The Whispers around Giants’ No. 2 pick

By Paul Schwartz

April 14, 2018 | 3:02pm

The Giants remain immersed in their draft preparation, hunkered down in a meeting room at the team facility, putting the final touches on their draft board. With the No. 2-overall pick, there is not much need for hand-wringing or premature angst about who might be available for them.

We are at T-minus 12 days and counting before the first round is underway. What does The Post know? Based on what is being said, what is being heard, what can be surmised and what should be considered educated guesswork, here we go:

— It still does not appear likely the Giants will take a quarterback, at least not with the No. 2 pick. Their extensive study of all the top prospects included dinner, tours of the team facility and plenty of football talk. By the end of this process, they will know all they need to know about Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen. Impressions will be made, but the facts cannot be altered: The body of work of these players is not commensurate with what the Giants require the No. 2 pick to be.

“You got to do your due diligence when you’re there at second, if you don’t do to these workouts at No. 2 and you really don’t have an interest in these guys, then you’re tipping your hand,’’ a source with knowledge of the Giants’ draft thinking told The Post.

— The Giants view Saquon Barkley as a near-perfect prospect. They think he’s a better player than Ezekiel Elliott, who went No. 4 to the Cowboys in 2016. All Elliott has accomplished is average 104.6 yards in his 25 NFL games, along with 22 rushing touchdowns in two seasons. He also has an entire offense built around him. The main difference? Barkley is a far superior pass-catcher. Plus, there are absolutely no character issues or concerns with Barkley.

“I thought all along this is the guy Dave wants,’’ said a national NFL scout who knows Gettleman from crossing paths with him on the road over the years. “And he might get him, if Cleveland is dumb enough not to take him at No. 1.”

— There is no doubt North Carolina State defensive end Bradley Chubb is in the mix. His visit with the Giants went extremely well — he made a positive impact on everyone in the building by wearing a suit, giving off an ultra-professional vibe — and there is an understanding if they pass him up, there is not another pass-rusher remotely close to his level. There is also this: With his first two picks as the general manager of the Panthers, Gettleman selected defensive linemen. And this: Gettleman believes you win with big people. Chubb does not exactly classify as one of Gettleman’s “hog-mollies’’ — mainly because he is so darn talented — but he is a physical force on the defensive line.

— Quenton Nelson will not be the pick at No. 2. This is not because the Giants have any reservations with the player — they do not — but it is a matter of positional value. The second-overall pick is too high to take a guard. The Giants do not view Nelson as a viable option to move outside to tackle. If they trade down (this is unlikely), moving to No. 5 to give the Broncos the No. 2 pick, then Nelson makes sense, as the Giants would gain additional draft picks and still get one of the top three players on their board.

— The onerous criteria Gettleman established for this No. 2 pick will be what likely steers the Giants away from a quarterback. Remember, Gettleman insists the second pick in the draft must be a player who projects to be a Hall of Famer and also is worthy of the second-overall selection in any draft.

“I don’t think Dave will take a quarterback,’’ the national scout said. “I don’t see it. I could see Chubb putting on that gold jacket. I could see Nelson putting on that gold jacket. Barkley, no question. If you have a crystal ball and say, ‘This guy is gonna be an annual All-Pro and make it to the Hall of Fame,’ Barkley would be the No. 1 guy.’’

— Not picking a quarterback really has very little to do with Davis Webb. There is no magic formula Gettleman and head coach Pat Shurmur can conjure up to project what Webb will become. His intangibles are all off-the-chart positive, he has great size and his work ethic is beyond reproach. There is a chance Webb could be the successor to Eli Manning. The Giants have no way to know for sure before this draft. If they truly like a quarterback, they will take one, and Webb’s presence on the roster would not be a factor, at all.

“You can’t make this decision based on Davis Webb,” an NFL source said.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/14/this-is-the-guy-dave-wants-the-whispers-around-giants-no-2-pick/ 

image.gif

image.gif

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one move absolutely nobody has suggested, let alone predicted is Mayfield at #2 to the Giants.  Which makes me almost wish it would happen because of how much it would cement the point that all this speculation is just a six weeks of mental masturbation.

Frankly, there are moments I still ponder if we'd be better off with Barkley but I eventually do some to my senses each time.

3 minutes ago, C Mart said:

The body of work of these players is not commensurate with what the Giants require the No. 2 pick to be.

How do all of the QBs lack the commensurate body of work, but Barkley’s relatively puny 1270 yards and Chubb—who isn’t exactly an athletic freak—puts up 10 sacks with 39 tackles and that’s better than what any of these QBs did? 

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

The one move absolutely nobody has suggested, let alone predicted is Mayfield at #2 to the Giants.  Which makes me almost wish it would happen because of how much it would cement the point that all this speculation is just a six weeks of mental masturbation.

Frankly, there are moments I still ponder if we'd be better off with Barkley but I eventually do some to my senses each time.

Enough different sources have unanimously stated that the ONLY QB in this class they would take is Darnold.  I believe that.  Eli is good for another 2 years.  If Browns take Sam, Giants take Barkley or trade back.  If Browns pass on Darnold, Giants take Darnold.  It's that simple.  Mayfield can still go at #2 if the Giants trade back to a team that covets him and knows that Mac (smokescreen or not) has a high probably of taking him.  But I seriously doubt Mayfield goes to the Giants.  

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How do all of the QBs lack the commensurate body of work, but Barkley’s relatively puny 1270 yards and Chubb—who isn’t exactly an athletic freak—puts up 10 sacks with 39 tackles and that’s better than what any of these QBs did? 

If Giants are true to the prediction that they are switching to 3-4, I doubt they want Chubb to play Edge defender standing up.  I think Chubb is much more of a 4-3 end with hand in dirt. 

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I can’t see them taking mayfield, the giants would take Rosen if they went qb.

When all is said and done, I see it going Browns-Darnold, Giants-Barkley and then Mac and the NY Jets Owner, surrogate owner and Head Coach will face the inevitable decision:

Rosen, Mayfield or Allen?  And Jets fans will be on the edge of their seat for that 15 minutes of torture.

The smoke has been saying "Mayfield".  I don't necessarily buy in to that since Mac and the franchise really are hush-hush and close to the vest. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I’m comfortable enough with Mayfield now to not give a rats ass what NYG does anymore.

Would still be mad if Rosen ended up on the Bills tho.

Same. I really, REALLY want to see the Bills end up with Allen. Then start him behind that OL.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

When all is said and done, I see it going Browns-Darnold, Giants-Barkley and then Mac and the NY Jets Owner, surrogate owner and Head Coach will face the inevitable decision:

Rosen, Mayfield or Allen.  And Jets fans will be on the edge of their seat for that 15 minutes of torture.

10 minutes.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If I'm a Jet fan I don't want any of these QB's going to any of our division rivals period. 

Don't dispute Allen's smarts or ability whatsoever...but if they draft him and throw him into the fire right away, his odds of returning the value for a top 10-12 pick go down dramatically. 

35 minutes ago, Dcat said:

IMO, I would think the Giants are considering 3 options:

1. If Cleveland takes anyone other than Darnold:  Darnold

If Cleveland takes Darnold,

2. Barkley

3. Trade back

I've thought this same scenerio for awhile. Barkley is such a difference maker for Cleveland's O .

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If Giants are true to the prediction that they are switching to 3-4, I doubt they want Chubb to play Edge defender standing up.  I think Chubb is much more of a 4-3 end with hand in dirt. 

These rumors strike more as the Giants saying, “Give us three first round picks and we’ll let you have a quarterback.” 

5 minutes ago, faba said:

My gut feeling is Giants picking Barkley can be anchor in the backfield taking pressure off passing game from Eli

Makes sense from a few perspectives: 

1) best prospect in the draft

2) no character issues

3) recent highly drafted rbs have transformed offenses (Elliot, fournette, gurley)

4) make the offense less reliant on obj 

5) Eli was more effective when he had tiki to dump off to

6) the team will not have to deal with the fallout of Eli being jealous, benched or traded

Is Barkley really a better prospect than Zeke? Wow, how I wish we were the Browns right now. They will most likely end up with the top QB and the top RB. That offense will be set for a while. It’s about time. 

Saquon Barkley is the all time yardage leader at Penn state. He has over 5000 yards total. He has 500 yards on returns. His between the tackles rushing isn't that special but he's a playmaker

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Is Barkley really a better prospect than Zeke? Wow, how I wish we were the Browns right now. They will most likely end up with the top QB and the top RB. That offense will be set for a while. It’s about time. 
They are different players. Zeke runs people over, Barkley is like Curtis Martin. He avoids the big hit

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Saquon Barkley is the all time yardage leader at Penn state. He has over 5000 yards total. He has 500 yards on returns. His between the tackles rushing isn't that special but he's a playmaker

He’s second in rushing to Evan Royster, but nicked Curtis Enis and Blair Thomas 

56 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Enough different sources have unanimously stated that the ONLY QB in this class they would take is Darnold.  I believe that.  Eli is good for another 2 years.  If Browns take Sam, Giants take Barkley or trade back.  If Browns pass on Darnold, Giants take Darnold.  It's that simple.  Mayfield can still go at #2 if the Giants trade back to a team that covets him and knows that Mac (smokescreen or not) has a high probably of taking him.  But I seriously doubt Mayfield goes to the Giants.  

I doubt they take Darnold in any scenario. He may be the only QB they would  take but I just do not see the Giants taking QB. It does not fit what Gettleman does on any level as the article above suggests.

Archived