NYP: The Whispers around Giants’ No. 2 pick

C Mart

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm starting to this there is a possibility that Sam Darnold will be available at pick 3. I love Mayfield but I couldn't blame the Jets if they took Darnold over him. 

I think the jets and giants realized late in the game that the browns may really take allen so they better be prepared.  Of course the giants may well be locked into barkley but still they need to keep up appearances that they may want a qb.  

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I doubt they take Darnold in any scenario. He may be the only QB they would  take but I just do not see the Giants taking QB. It does not fit what Gettleman does on any level as the article above suggests.

Imagine bringing in a new regime coming off a 3-13 season and their first move is to pass on a quarterback in deference to a 37 year-old dude in steep decline whom they’ll have to pay $17 million dollars to next year.

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Taking barkley would be awful.  Elliot is great cause cowboys have the best offensive line in football.  Giants would be putting the cart before the horse by taking barkley.

They should trade down and rebuild the line w/ the extra picks.  Then take a back in the 3rd round.

It's the Giants.......WHO CARES ?

39 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Exactly what they would say if they wanted Allen.  

maybe.  But I doubt it this time.   I think the Giants expect Darnold  to Cleveland.  They just have to wait until the draft for final confirmation and then they will either draft Barkley or trade down.  And if for some reason Cleveland does not draft Darnold, then the Giants take Darnold.  It's pretty simple.  All the complicated alternatives are far less likely.  I'd be surprised if ti goes any other way.  Now after the Browns take Sam, whether the Giants would decide to take Barkley or trade down... well that all depends on how far down and how desperate a team is to get to #2 for the same decision that the jets would be making at 3.  

I can see them trading down to 5 where they think they can still get Nelson, for example.  I can even see them taking the Bills 2 1st round picks  plus a future pick.  Frankly, the Bills roster is so bad, I think they should sit tight with what they have and begin to rebuild that roster.  

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

When all is said and done, I see it going Browns-Darnold, Giants-Barkley and then Mac and the NY Jets Owner, surrogate owner and Head Coach will face the inevitable decision:

Rosen, Mayfield or Allen?  And Jets fans will be on the edge of their seat for that 15 minutes of torture.

The smoke has been saying "Mayfield".  I don't necessarily buy in to that since Mac and the franchise really are hush-hush and close to the vest. 

You're in luck...1st round is 10 minutes...7 for round 2 and 5 for 3-7...

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

maybe.  But I doubt it this time.   I think the Giants expect Darnold  to Cleveland.  They just have to wait until the draft for final confirmation and then they will either draft Barkley or trade down.  And if for some reason Cleveland does not draft Darnold, then the Giants take Darnold.  It's pretty simple.  All the complicated alternatives are far less likely.  I'd be surprised if ti goes any other way.  Now after the Browns take Sam, whether the Giants would decide to take Barkley or trade down... well that all depends on how far down and how desperate a team is to get to #2 for the same decision that the jets would be making at 3.  

I can see them trading down to 5 where they think they can still get Nelson, for example.  I can even see them taking the Bills 2 1st round picks  plus a future pick.  Frankly, the Bills roster is so bad, I think they should sit tight with what they have and begin to rebuild that roster.  

Couldn't agree more with your logic. I can't see the Giants trading from #2 to #12 with the Bills, too steep a drop and it would prevent the NYG from getting a premium talent. Now if the Bills were to trade up to #6 with the Colts or #5 with Denver that could change everything.

Speaking of the Bills.. They SHOULD, like you said, stay put. Waaaay too many holes on that roster. They currently have the ammo to fill some of those holes.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

The one move absolutely nobody has suggested, let alone predicted is Mayfield at #2 to the Giants.  Which makes me almost wish it would happen because of how much it would cement the point that all this speculation is just a six weeks of mental masturbation.

Frankly, there are moments I still ponder if we'd be better off with Barkley but I eventually do some to my senses each time.

(Wishful thinking) but if this was 2019 and Teddy B. turned out to be fully recovered and played like a Top 15 QB then yes, Barkley would be a great pick.  It's the Jets never-ending search for a QB that has (and continues) to cost this franchise opportunities to take BPA.  If you include Petty (4th), Hack (2nd), this year's TWO 2nd rounders, next year's 2nd.....that's 5 VERY valuable draft picks just in the search for a QB.  You could have put together an elite offensive line with FOUR 2nd round picks and a 4th rounder.

But oh well, what do you think of Josh Allen at #3 and who are the top QBs next year in Round 1? lol

The Giants are fools for not trading down with the Jets - the one team that had the most capital to trade down with. Now, with the perhaps the exception of the Bills, there really isn't anyone worth trading down with. Eli Manning, barring injury, still has at least two high quality seasons left in him. You don't draft a QB at #2 and have him ride the pine for two seasons. Now, the Giants are stuck with over drafting a running back. They should have made a deal with the Jets when they had the chance.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm starting to think there is a possibility that Sam Darnold will be available at pick 3. I love Mayfield but I couldn't blame the Jets if they took Darnold over him. 

Yup. This is where I am too. Kind of have my heart set on Mayfield, but could understand the Jets picking Darnold should he be there.

Get one of those 2 guys, and I am very happy.

Barkley or Chubb for the giants make them the better team for next 2 years at least than if they took a qb. Barkley and Chubb are more of a cant miss prospect than a qb who has a lot bigger chance of being a bust.

I do wonder if browns actually like Allen on anywhere close to a level they like darnold, they could take Barkley 1 and Allen at 4. I think giants have Barkley top of their board , and wonder if browns do take Barkley do giants then trade down for hoard of picks to give a team chance to get darnold. 

Cant wait for suspense to be over ha 

If the Giants goal is to try and win in the short term with Eli Manning as their QB I don't see why they would use the number 2 pick on a QB. That player obviously doesn't help them win in whatever window they feel they have left with Eli Manning. Chubb or Barkley make the most sense if the Giants truly feel they can win in the next 2 years or so IMO.

The one move absolutely nobody has suggested, let alone predicted is Mayfield at #2 to the Giants.  Which makes me almost wish it would happen because of how much it would cement the point that all this speculation is just a six weeks of mental masturbation.
Frankly, there are moments I still ponder if we'd be better off with Barkley but I eventually do some to my senses each time.

I don’t have a problem with Mayfield , but I don’t think Giants would want to pair him with Odell

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How do all of the QBs lack the commensurate body of work, but Barkley’s relatively puny 1270 yards and Chubb—who isn’t exactly an athletic freak—puts up 10 sacks with 39 tackles and that’s better than what any of these QBs did? 

Not sure how Gettleman sells any player who is not a QB to ownership and their fan base when Eli Manning is old and done. Barkley may be a great back, but his career is at best probably 6-8 years with a mess of shootout games when he isn't a factor. Chubb, again, something similar; edge rushers are gold but nowhere near the value of a QB. If he does this, he is taking a major chance with his job, especially if one of the QBs he didn't take takes off. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

They are different players. Zeke runs people over, Barkley is like Curtis Martin. He avoids the big hit

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Johnson's career is also instructive, RE QB vs. RB. Because he was ready for the glue factory before he was 30-

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnLa00.htm

Of course that's great news for us if true. But there is no such thing as truth before the draft. If they don't draft a Qb you'd think they would love to trade back esp with the Bills who have two no. 1 picks. And the Bills might be a team that would love to pick ahead of us and take the Qb the Jets have earmarked. But before anyone goes crazy the Jets probably have graded at least 3 Qbs that they think are worth the overall #3 grade.

Not sure how Gettleman sells any player who is not a QB to ownership and their fan base when Eli Manning is old and done. Barkley may be a great back, but his career is at best probably 6-8 years with a mess of shootout games when he isn't a factor. Chubb, again, something similar; edge rushers are gold but nowhere near the value of a QB. If he does this, he is taking a major chance with his job, especially if one of the QBs he didn't take takes off. 
The Giants as a franchise never talk about rebuild. It's always just a couple players away.

Gettleman took a Stanford rb at 8 last year. This is not a stretch. They should take Barkley but they probably take chubb.

This qb at 1234 stuff has never happened and it won't happen this year

The fans of whoever gets Barkley will shut their fat pie holes the moment they see him break one.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

RBs are short-term players.  A RB gets his rookie deal and POSSIBLY one additional contract from the team that drafted him.  Look at the approach Pitt is taking with Bell....they want his rookie deal and are willing to "rent" him for two years while he's still in his prime.  IF the Giants think Eli has two good years left then why not pair him with an elite RB1 in Barkley for those two years and then use Barkley as the crutch/fallback for a new Giants QB in 2020?  That way, you send a win-now message to the Giants who have a solid D and still have Eli AND you cushion your future rookie QB in two years with a great running game.  Just my slant on why the Giants could go Barkley at #2.

41 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Imo, Gettleman’s record as a GM was marked by two things: drafting DL and unceremoniously cutting popular veterans. He’s here to transition away from Eli, which is why they needed a GM with some credibility to withstand any blowback. Lupica already has the revisionist poor-Eli-how-dare-they-worse-than-trading-Ewing hagiography typed up. As for drafting DL, he had a much different job drafting for a 26 year-old Cam Newton than he does with the Giants. 

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

RBs are short-term players.  A RB gets his rookie deal and POSSIBLY one additional contract from the team that drafted him.  Look at the approach Pitt is taking with Bell....they want his rookie deal and are willing to "rent" him for two years while he's still in his prime.  IF the Giants think Eli has two good years left then why not pair him with an elite RB1 in Barkley for those two years and then use Barkley as the crutch/fallback for a new Giants QB in 2020?  That way, you send a win-now message to the Giants who have a solid D and still have Eli AND you cushion your future rookie QB in two years with a great running game.  Just my slant on why the Giants could go Barkley at #2.

I tend to agree.  Giants are drafting a RB in either the first two rounds.  Johnathan Stewart was not signed to be the feature back, he will be paired with a rookie, just a matter of which one.  I still think the Giants trade out , but if they stay Barkley should be the pick.  I’m not sure Chubb is the best fir for their new 3-4 defense.  

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I tend to agree.  Giants are drafting a RB in either the first two rounds.  Johnathan Stewart was not signed to be the feature back, he will be paired with a rookie, just a matter of which one.  I still think the Giants trade out , but if they stay Barkley should be the pick.  I’m not sure Chubb is the best fir for their new 3-4 defense.  

I don’t think the giants have the trading partners except maybe Denver or buffalo if they get to #5.  And i think taking a rb at 2 is a big mistake when there are qbs and your starter is 37.  The giants can still get a good rb in the 2nd round and take a qb they can sit for a year and gettleman can have his cake and eat it too.  But if the giants trade out, it would mean either Denver really wants Rosen and is willing to leapfrog the jets or the bills got to #5 and then trade up for either allen or Rosen.  The rams, jags and cowboys all have young qbs and are using their stud rbs to help out the young qb and the young core.  The giants have a 37 yr old qb, the eagles are loaded for another run and the nfc overall is stacked.  Pass rusher at 2 is also better value b/c it’s much harder to find them later on in the draft.

Archived