Does it Really Matter WHO we draft at QB???

JohnnyLV

Every time I get excited over the concept of us picking at QB at 3, a picture of Bowles pops into my head like a jump scare out of a horror movie.

I seriously think that with this Bozo at HC, we may have the second worst situation in the NFL to bring a rookie Top 3 QB into.

You all know, deep down in your bones that Bowles wants nothing to do with starting a rookie QB, since he is in essence a lame duck head coach, who thinks he needs to win to keep his job.

So McClown will start because regardless of the rookies play in TC, Bowles will stubbornly insist that the veteran JAG "gives him the best chance to win".

Oh we may hear, protestations of a "competition in camp" but that will only be for show. McClown will be the predetermined starter from Day 1.

But it will be worse than that. The offense will do nothing to build an offense that will highlight our rookies strengths.

Get ready to claw your eyes out as you read KRL Camp Reports where Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold got 9 snaps the entire day.

Nothing really will be done to develop the young guy, it will all be about Bowles playing all his veterans to eek out 7 wins and keep his job, and Mac has no juice whatsoever to dictate the QB strategy.

Only Chris does, but will he have it in him to force Bowles to have a real competition and focus 100% on developing the young guy, and playing him at latest by mid year?

I doubt it. Bowles showed his hand with his "we are looking at 6 or 7 players at three". No, Toilet. The Jets are looking at 4 players. They all play QB. But I guarantee you Bowles is campaigning even today to pick Barkley ("we need to run more") or Chubb (cant invest too much in defense, who needs playmakers?)

So Bowles in his mind is already red shirting whomever we pick. 

As Jets fans all we can hope for is that somehow our young QB is not permanently damaged by our buffoon head coach, and can emerge under the tutelage of our next head coach in 2019 like Goff did.

Make no mistake, whomever we pick at 3 is coming into a horrible situation to realize their talent.

I'd like to think that great players always rise above crappy coaches. I refuse to let Bowles rain on my parade.  When the Jets make their pick at #3 it will be the most exciting moment this franchise has had since the two Rex Ryan championship games.  Sit back and enjoy!

We are not competing for a Super Bowl this year.  There is no need to rush a young qb in there.

You let McCown play half the season and then let mayfield/rosen start the second half of the year.

We are in a great situation here.  Bowles will be fired after this year and we will get an offensive coach moving foreard.

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are not competing for a Super Bowl this year.  There is no need to rush a young qb in there.

You let McCown play half the season and then let mayfield/rosen start the second half of the year.

We are in a great situation here.  Bowles will be fired after this year and we will get an offensive coach moving foreard.

Gotta disagree.  Rosen is a day one starter no matter what.  Mayfield, yeah maybe he sits 3 games or so but no more.  

6 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Gotta disagree.  Rosen is a day one starter no matter what.  Mayfield, yeah maybe he sits 3 games or so but no more.  

It doesnt matter if your a day 1 starter or not. We gave mccown $10 million bucks to start the season as qb and show the rook the ropes.

We are not like these other teams who have to put the rookie in right away.  Its a huge advantage for us to have the rookie sit on the sidelines for 8 weeks to learn.  

We are in a great situation here.

What QBs have had real longterm success after coming into the NFL under a strongly defensive-minded head coach?  I'm asking because I'm drawing a bit of a blank.  Belichick was obviously a DC and Tom Brady grew as a QB in that system but I get the feeling Brady would have been a success anywhere.  I'd also credit Charlie Weiss with bringing Brady along.

Does it even matter as long as you have the right OC and QB coach?  I mean Mike Zimmer is a HC from the defensive side of the ball but he had Pat Shurmur handling Case Keenum in Minny.    Pete Carroll with Russell Wilson in Seattle?

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Couldn’t  have said it better. Sure we all will be anxious and excited to watch the rookie play over josh McCown in his final yr in nfl. But it is smart to not rush him in. Especially behind this terrible Oline. Let mcCown take the hits while the rookie perfects his game. Let him play end of the yr. If McCown doesn’t play as well as he did last yr, lets see bridgewater. Maybe he plays well and we can trade him for a draft pick. Next yr Bowles needs to shut up and let Mac use our top picks again on O. Rebuild that crumbling line across the board next FA/draft. 

36 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Every time I get excited over the concept of us picking at QB at 3, a picture of Bowles pops into my head like a jump scare out of a horror movie.

I seriously think that with this Bozo at HC, we may have the second worst situation in the NFL to bring a rookie Top 3 QB into.

You all know, deep down in your bones that Bowles wants nothing to do with starting a rookie QB, since he is in essence a lame duck head coach, who thinks he needs to win to keep his job.

So McClown will start because regardless of the rookies play in TC, Bowles will stubbornly insist that the veteran JAG "gives him the best chance to win".

Oh we may hear, protestations of a "competition in camp" but that will only be for show. McClown will be the predetermined starter from Day 1.

But it will be worse than that. The offense will do nothing to build an offense that will highlight our rookies strengths.

Get ready to claw your eyes out as you read KRL Camp Reports where Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold got 9 snaps the entire day.

Nothing really will be done to develop the young guy, it will all be about Bowles playing all his veterans to eek out 7 wins and keep his job, and Mac has no juice whatsoever to dictate the QB strategy.

Only Chris does, but will he have it in him to force Bowles to have a real competition and focus 100% on developing the young guy, and playing him at latest by mid year?

I doubt it. Bowles showed his hand with his "we are looking at 6 or 7 players at three". No, Toilet. The Jets are looking at 4 players. They all play QB. But I guarantee you Bowles is campaigning even today to pick Barkley ("we need to run more") or Chubb (cant invest too much in defense, who needs playmakers?)

So Bowles in his mind is already red shirting whomever we pick. 

As Jets fans all we can hope for is that somehow our young QB is not permanently damaged by our buffoon head coach, and can emerge under the tutelage of our next head coach in 2019 like Goff did.

Make no mistake, whomever we pick at 3 is coming into a horrible situation to realize their talent.

Image result for debbie downer

16 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

So we risk injuring or concussing Rosen in a sh*tt yr just for our amusement ? Ha. Then he retires after 3 yrs when we finally are good because of 1 too many concussions 

As much as I dislike Bowles, there’s no way he’s back in 2019 if he pulls what the OP lays out...and I have to think that he’s not stubborn enough to ride or die with Josh McCown after getting a top QB in the draft gift wrapped to him

Geno, Hack and Petty are not starting level QB's. All will likely be out of the league in a few years. 

As long as Rosen/Mayfield digest a good portion of the playbook, they should be day 1 starters. Those guys can learn on the job.

A young player like Darnold, I might be a bit more reluctant. 

6 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

As much as I dislike Bowles, there’s no way he’s back in 2019 if he pulls what the OP lays out...and I have to think that he’s not stubborn enough to ride or die with Josh McCown after getting a top QB in the draft gift wrapped to him

Last year, McCown split first team reps during the first half of camp. But during the second half of camp, Hack and Petty were getting those reps. Bowles had to name McCown the starter because of how bad Hack and Petty were.

Stalling pettys development is annoying 

Stalling the #3 picks development gets you fired 

Once you have a QB you can hire a good coach 

If Bowles was fired last year the Jets would have been looking at head coach candidates that agents were telling them that they will never get a HC interview, so even though it's the Jets, go ahead 

Once you have the QB, you can hire guys who are in demand and have options 

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What QBs have had real longterm success after coming into the NFL under a strongly defensive-minded head coach?  I'm asking because I'm drawing a bit of a blank.  Belichick was obviously a DC and Tom Brady grew as a QB in that system but I get the feeling Brady would have been a success anywhere.  I'd also credit Charlie Weiss with bringing Brady along.

Does it even matter as long as you have the right OC and QB coach?  I mean Mike Zimmer is a HC from the defensive side of the ball but he had Pat Shurmur handling Case Keenum in Minny.    Pete Carroll with Russell Wilson in Seattle?

Tony Dungy - Peyton

Bill cowher/mike Tomlin - Ben

John harbaugh (special teams) - Flacco

Marty Schott - Phillip Rivers

Tom Coughlin - Eli Manning

Falcons coach - Matt ryan

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I keep thinking that coach will be Bates

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

Last year, McCown splitting first team reps during the first half of camp. But during the second half of camp, Hack and Petty were getting those reps. Bowles had to name McCown the starter because of how bad Hack and Petty were.

Hack was especially terrible. After 1 full yr in jets system he should not have been looking like a lost puppy in his 2nd camp. When we let Sanchez start out of the gate he had enormous support. A great vet Oline with strong run game, a elite D that put him in great field positions. This rookie is not going to have any of that. Lot of jet fans are asking rookie come out of the gate and carry this O on his back with little time to throw. Some fans can’t see the big picture. 

12 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Geno, Hack and Petty are not starting level QB's. All will likely be out of the league in a few years. 

As long as Rosen/Mayfield digest a good portion of the playbook, they should be day 1 starters. Those guys can learn on the job.

A young player like Darnold, I might be a bit more reluctant. 

What about Allen?

We’re clearly committed to a 317 year rebuild, so it should be fine. Hack for example should get his first regular season snap in 3 years now that we have a Rookie QB, Petty is hurt, Bridgewater is stashed on IR, and Bowles has decided we’re out of it at 2-12, so benching McCown is okay. Reluctant though.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

We’re clearly committed to a 317 year rebuild, so it should be fine. Hack for example should get his first regular season snap in 3 years now that we have a Rookie QB, Petty is hurt, Bridgewater is stashed on IR, and Bowles has decided we’re out of it at 2-12.

Hackenberg isn’t even good enough to make the practice squad 

Pretty ridiculous take from top to bottom..

Chris Johnson has been almost giddy about this upcoming year and 3rd overall pick.  The quickest way for Bowles to get fired would be to hold back the prized draft pick and rain on CJ's parade.  That said if you're banking on the rookie being the day 1 starter you're in for a rough few months.

You're going to have to get used to the fact that McCown is probably going to start and more importantly that's the correct decision for this year.

Whichever rookie comes in is going to need time to develop.  Some more than others.

20 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Last year, McCown split first team reps during the first half of camp. But during the second half of camp, Hack and Petty were getting those reps. Bowles had to name McCown the starter because of how bad Hack and Petty were.

No, Most of the reps went to Hack...very few to Petty.  

That's how bad Hackensack is....

Just now, Pac said:

Chris Johnson has been almost giddy about this upcoming year and 3rd overall pick.  The quickest way for Bowles to get fired would be to hold back the prized draft pick and rain on CJ's parade.  That said if you're banking on the rookie being the day 1 starter you're in for a rough few months.

You're going to have to get used to the fact that McCown is probably going to start and more importantly that's the correct decision for this year.

Whichever rookie comes in is going to need time to develop.  Some more than others.

I actually think Rosen has the best chance of all of them to look like he could start week 1.  Mayfield and Darnold might not be far behind.  Doesn't mean Bowles would do it willingly.  I suspect he'll wait a few weeks beyond when they are 'ready' and the pressure mounts before truly considering starting the rookie because of who he seems to be.  I'm fine with McCown for a few weeks, longer if it appear necessary, but if we draft a QB who isn't ready to start by week 12 over Josh McCown, particularly if we aren't in the playoff hunt, then it's going to start getting ugly here.

Last year Hack was given every chance possible to win the job in camp getting first team snaps for weeks. Petty got starts in 2016 and 2017. I think it became pretty clear pretty quickly to coaches and FO that neither of them was going to develop into anything and that Getting McCown out there was the best mov for the team as a whole. I do not think there is any way you can compare those experiences to a QB taken with the third pick that everybody in the organization from the Johnson boys to the  guy cleaning the bathrooms will fully expect to be the future of the franchise.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

I’d argue that your scenario is likely, but not a given. It’s not unreasonable to think a top 3 QB makes us more competitive than McCown. He sucks at football.

Just now, peebag said:

No, Most of the reps went to Hack...very few to Petty.  

That's how bad Hackensack is....

For your viewing pleasure.  But recall that Petty mostly got garbage time.  Hack got most of the 1st team reps for all the good it did him.

2017 Jets Pre-season stats

Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD TD% INT INT% Long Sck Sack/Lost Rating
Bryce Petty 48 32 426 66.7 8.9 3 6.3 1 2.1 85 2 10 106.8
Christian Hackenberg 74 42 372 56.8 5 2 2.7 2 2.7 26 9 59 68.1
Josh McCown 12 9 129 75 10.8 1 8.3 0 -- 53 0 0 137.2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I actually think Rosen has the best chance of all of them to look like he could start week 1.  Mayfield and Darnold might not be far behind.  Doesn't mean Bowles would do it willingly.  I suspect he'll wait a few weeks beyond when they are 'ready' and the pressure mounts before truly considering starting the rookie because of who he seems to be.  I'm fine with McCown for a few weeks, longer if it appear necessary, but if we draft a QB who isn't ready to start by week 12 over Josh McCown, particularly if we aren't in the playoff hunt, then it's going to start getting ugly here.

Agreed on Rosen but he'd have to have a hell of camp.  McCown is beloved in the locker room and is coming off a good year.  I know Rosen is touted as some kind of genius but I don't think he'll be ready to navigate Bates' O on day 1.

1 minute ago, 20andOut said:

Last year Hack was given every chance possible to win the job in camp getting first team snaps for weeks. Petty got starts in 2016 and 2017. I think it became pretty clear pretty quickly to coaches and FO that neither of them was going to develop into anything and that Getting McCown out there was the best mov for the team as a whole. I do not think there is any way you can compare those experiences to a QB taken with the third pick that everybody in the organization from the Johnson boys to the  guy cleaning the bathrooms will fully expect to be the future of the franchise.

Bowles obviously wasn’t thinking ahead. If he went to petty sooner we could be picking #2 and have 3 more 2nd round picks. I hope he knows those could have been D starters. Now this yr and next, he does not get to pick a D player before the 3rd round. Next yrs first has to be O player to build for rookie Qb.

Just now, Pac said:

Agreed on Rosen but he'd have to have a hell of camp.  McCown is beloved in the locker room and is coming off a good year.  I know Rosen is touted as some kind of genius but I don't think he'll be ready to navigate Bates' O on day 1.

But if he DID have a hell of a camp... is it possible for Bowles to look any more annoyed at life than he already does on a regular basis?  Please let us have this moment!

Bowles.jpg?fit=624,376

"sh*t...Rosen looks pretty good"

tb4.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1200

"$15MM and the new CB can't pick off the damned rookie?!"

todd-bowles-63539a93-27c0-41d4-89b2-207a

[Rich Cimini] "Todd, when are you going to give Rosen some first team reps?"

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'd like to think that great players always rise above crappy coaches. I refuse to let Bowles rain on my parade.  When the Jets make their pick at #3 it will be the most exciting moment this franchise has had since the two Rex Ryan championship games.  Sit back and enjoy!

Amen brother!

And if we pick the right QB even Bowles won’t be able to keep him from shining, 

Archived