Maccagnan’s First Pick Purge on the Horizon

JetNation

IMG_5917.jpg

If there’s one positive thing about being a brand new NFL GM taking over a team nearly bereft of talent, it’s that you may have a bit of extra time to spend in developing some of your young draft choices.  After all, it’s not as if Jets GM Mike Maccagnan came to town with a robust group of quality players and few roster spots available.  His predecessor, John Idzik, filled the roster with players who would have likely been viewed as camp bodies anywhere outside of his office.

However, with three drafts in the rear view mirror, another draft just around the corner, and a spending spree in free agency, it’s going to be time for Maccagnan to start dumping previous picks who have either failed to impress on the field, or haven’t been able to stay on it due to injury.

This means that Mac is likely on the verge of his first housecleaning after cutting just one drafted player (Jarvis Harrison) since taking over as Jets GM.  While it may seem impressive to retain almost three entire draft classes, the number is misleading as several players have hung around by spending huge chunks of time on injured reserve.

OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, WR Devin Smith, WR Charone Peake, CB Jeremy Clark, OLB Dylan Donahue and TE Jordan Leggett spent all or most of 2017 on injured reserve.  Had they been healthy, there’s no telling who would have stuck and who would have been let go.

Here’s a look at who could be sent packing by the time the team opens up their 2018 season on Monday Night Football in Detroit.

OLB Lorenzo Mauldin: Mauldin spent all of last season on IR with a back injury after an up and down 2016 season.  He’ll get his shot to win a job this season, but if the injuries persist and/or he doesn’t elevate his level of play, he could be gone.  Mauldin did show some pass rush ability as a rookie, and his roster spot will be safe if that’s the case again this year.

WR Devin Smith: Smith has spent more time on IR than he has as an active player.  It would take a miracle for Smith to Stick this season, a devastating blow as the former second-round pick was lauded by experts at the time of his selection.  Smith’s body hasn’t held up to the demands of the NFL.

Bryce Petty: A project QB who was taken in the fourth round, things haven’t worked out for Petty thus far and he’s a likely casualty this off-season.

DL Deon Simon: Simon was impressive two years ago and appeared to trending upward.  He followed that with a strong pre-season in 2017 but the Jets opted to go with free agent addition Mike Pennel in Simon’s place, leaving him as the odd man out.  The Jets are thin on the D-line this season so Simon has an outside chance to stick, but don’t be surprised if he doesn’t.

WR Charone Peake: A traits-based seventh round pick, Peake spent last season on IR and the Jets are currently carrying sixteen WR’s. Somebody has got to go.

IMG_1987-300x214.jpg

WR Charone Peake spent most of last season on injured reserve.

QB Christian Hackenberg: Maccagnan’s worst pick to date, Hackenberg has yet to set foot on the field and the team just traded up to draft a quarterback later this week.

OLB Dylan Donahue: Moving on from Donahue wouldn’t be all that likely after just one season if the only issue was his injury last year, but two DUI arrests since being drafted will have Donahue under the microscope.

WR Ardarius Stewart: A third-round draft choice just one season ago, it’s hard to envision Stewart being cut by Maccagnan, but the situation doesn’t look all that good for the Alabama product.  During the course of last season, Stewart was passed on the depth chart by fourth-round pick Chad Hansen.  In addition, the Jets signed Terrelle Pryor and Quincy Enunwa is expected back this season.  If Stewart is behind Pryor, Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse, Enunwa and Hansen, he’ll be competing with nine or ten players for the sixth receiving spot.

As they say, “out with the old, in with the new”, so when the “new” comes in over the course of the next week via draft choices and undrafted free agents, it may be time for Mike Maccagnan to wave goodbye to those players who haven’t worked out up to this point.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
YEVYcoAMs9w

Click here to read the full story...

:good:      Nice job. I wouldn't argue with any of your proposed cuts with the exception of Stewart. Even then you are correct that it's a sheer numbers game with Stewart and he better pick up the pace because right now he's on the outside looking in.

Love to see Mauldin make the 53 because of the early promise he showed.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't think we will cut hack I could see us trading petty for a late round pick and bringing four qbs into training camp. I think Bridgewater gets held hostage in case someone loses a qb.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

Who would give up anything even a conditional 7th for Petty?  He stinks

This is why that 21 of 22 guys still on the roster, Macc is great article was a bunch of BS.  Bunch of guys still on the roster who have had little or no impact does not mean you GM has been successful.  That is on Macc.  But, in my opinion, this is just as much an indictment of Bowles and his staff for their inability to develop young players.  Simon, Petty, Smith, Mauldin.  All selected in 2015, and none have developed significantly in 3 seasons with the team -- Smith due to injuries, but you certainly expected to see more from the other guys than we have seen by now.

2016 draft: Hack, Burris, Peake, also little to no development.  You could even argue that Jenkins and Shell, who are both decent starters were not significantly better players at the end of year 2 than they were as rookies.  

The only young guys who have developed significantly under Bowles were Robby Anderson, and Quincy Enunwa, who had a strong 2016.

Which pretty much is why I wanted both guys gone at the end of last season.  But, alas, neither Chris nor Woody asked my opinion, so now they are both around for another year.  And I am rooting for both guys to finally get it right (what choice do I have) and prove that the patience shown by ownership is the right move.

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And this is supposedly better than Idzik?

Are you really a Jet fan? Seriously, you have NOTHING good to say ever. Always the pessimist. You kill Idzik but expect Macc to turn things around immediately with the dearth of talent he was left with? We're finally gonna get a QB, let's let it play out & maybe, just maybe, our WRs & TEs might look a lot better with a capable young QB.

The worst part about the 5 of the 22 players selected by Mac that actually get to play?  Every single one of them could easily be upgraded with bottom end FA or UDFA type players and you wouldnt really lose much production.  None of them make you feel comfortable at their position, like your set.  Other than Safety and it's not because Adams and Maye are great but because they were only rookies and you just invested 2 high picks on them. Otherwise, every single position on the roster could be upgrade significantly. 

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is why that 21 of 22 guys still on the roster, Macc is great article was a bunch of BS.  Bunch of guys still on the roster who have had little or no impact does not mean you GM has been successful.  That is on Macc. players But, in my opinion, this is just as much an indictment of Bowles and his staff for their inability to develop young players.  Simon, Petty, Smith, Mauldin.  All selected in 2015, and none have developed significantly in 3 seasons with the team -- Smith due to injuries, but you certainly expected to see more from the other guys than we have seen by now.

2016 draft: Hack, Burris, Peake, also little to no development.  You could even argue that Jenkins and Shell, who are both decent starters were not significantly better players at the end of year 2 than they were as rookies.  

The only young guys who have developed significantly under Bowles were Robby Anderson, and Quincy Enunwa, who had a strong 2016.

Which pretty much is why I wanted both guys gone at the end of last season.  But, alas, neither Chris nor Woody asked my opinion, so now they are both around for another year.  And I am rooting for both guys to finally get it right (what choice do I have) and prove that the patience shown by ownership is the right move.

You have identified the major problem in this franchise, one that has existed for far too many years of my 39 years of being a ticket holder. That's what makes me very uncomfortable with the prospect of us getting our hands on one of the top young QB's in 4 days. 

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is why that 21 of 22 guys still on the roster, Macc is great article was a bunch of BS.  Bunch of guys still on the roster who have had little or no impact does not mean you GM has been successful.  That is on Macc.  But, in my opinion, this is just as much an indictment of Bowles and his staff for their inability to develop young players.  Simon, Petty, Smith, Mauldin.  All selected in 2015, and none have developed significantly in 3 seasons with the team -- Smith due to injuries, but you certainly expected to see more from the other guys than we have seen by now.

you can argue that the lack of impact players is on back but at the same time the team hasn't done much in creating their own impact players.  put players in positions where they can excel and we will see them look a heck of a lot better.  is this more on bowles?  imo yes and no.  yes because he's the head coach and no because maybe mac isn't getting the right players to fit bowles schemes.

i'm no mac or bowles mover.  this season is going to be make or break.  and one thing that will i think will break it is if the drafted qb doesn't start.

52 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Are you really a Jet fan? Seriously, you have NOTHING good to say ever. Always the pessimist. You kill Idzik but expect Macc to turn things around immediately with the dearth of talent he was left with? We're finally gonna get a QB, let's let it play out & maybe, just maybe, our WRs & TEs might look a lot better with a capable young QB.

There is nothing good to say.  The team is awful and the gm and coach are buffoons.  Havent won anything since the summer of love.  

58 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is why that "21 of 22 guys still on the roster, Macc is great" article was a bunch of BS.  Bunch of guys still on the roster who have had little or no impact does not mean you GM has been successful.

+1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Our roster is bottom 5 and we just traded up for a midget system qb. Lots to be optimistic for

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Immediately?  He's going into his fourth year.

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't think we will cut hack I could see us trading petty for a late round pick and bringing four qbs into training camp. I think Bridgewater gets held hostage in case someone loses a qb.

While I'd like to think we could trade Petty for something (anything?) the fact of the matter is that he's proven to be a borderline backup / 3rd QB.  After 3 years teams know what he is and what his limitation are.  If I'm a team looking for a 3rd QB I'd take one who has some upside and in a draft that's very deep at QBs I think a team would rather use a late round pick on a guy who could overperform his draft position, not one who has shown wasn't quite worth a 4th rounder.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So is Devin Smith rocking your world or is it the Darron Lee?

OH Heck agenda. gosh no!

But Dee Millner, Sheldon Richardson, Geno Smith, Aday Aboushi, William Campbell, Tommy Bohanon, Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, Dexter McDougle, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, JEremiah George, Brandon Dixon, IK Enemkpali, Tajh Boyd, and Trevor Reilly all want to say hello!

Quincy Enunwa, Brian Winters, and Dakota are hanging with the players that are still on the team, including lots of Mac's picks.  He by no means deserves a pass considering players there when he did draft, but hey, 3 out of 19 picks for Idzik...Oh heck, a couple more are still in the NFL!  Idzik was a GEEEENEEEUS!

56 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

OH Heck agenda. gosh no!

But Dee Millner, Sheldon Richardson, Geno Smith, Aday Aboushi, William Campbell, Tommy Bohanon, Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, Dexter McDougle, Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans, JEremiah George, Brandon Dixon, IK Enemkpali, Tajh Boyd, and Trevor Reilly all want to say hello!

Quincy Enunwa, Brian Winters, and Dakota are hanging with the players that are still on the team.  Not bad really, 3 out of 19 picks!  Oh heck, a couple more are still in the NFL!  Idzik was a GEEEENEEEUS!

Plus they keep saying, he's been here 4 years! regarding Macc. Obviously the buffoon that is Woody Johnson was still sticking his nose in too much. Revis? Cromarty? Trading for Marshall? Forte? those are keep respectable moves orchestrated by Woody. Jets are truly in their 2nd year of a TRUE rebuild, you can tell by the age & type of players we're signing. That list you posted above tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about the state of the current Jets roster. At least Macc has drafted people who can actually GET ON THE FIELD. Every GM misses, sometimes players get injured, if Macc gets us a signal caller that turns out better than Mahomes or Watson all will be forgiven. Until you find a QB you look like an idiot. Look at Green Bay when Rogers went down, lol, looked like the Jets. 

I can't wait for Brady to retire so we can end this Chicken or the egg argument once & for all. Belichick is a great coach, but there is no f*cking way his rate of success continues without the GOAT and one of the best leaders at QB of all time! Like having a damn coach on the field! How many QBs can get WRs traded, benched and berate them for not running proper routes? CAN'T WAIT!

Sheldon Richardson was as good as any player Maccagnan has selected.  Aboushi was playing every snap for the Seahawks until he dislocated his shoulder.  Bohanon was the FB on the Jags, you know, the team in the AFC championship game. Brandon Dixon was playing every snap for the Giants over the last quarter of the season, so much worse than Juston Burris' 30% snap rate when he was basically gifted a starting job in camp. Jace Amaro sucks, but he has more receiving yards as a Jet than Devin Smith, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Jordan Leggett and Charone Peake.  More TDs too. Likewise, Dee Milliner sucks, but he has one less INT than Burris, Adams and Maye combined. More passes defended though.  Jeremiah George had a half a sack last year for the Colts.  Not much, but more than Dylan Donahue and guess which one didn't get arrested.  Geno blows, but compared to Petty and Hackenberg he was Unitas, Montana, and Steve Young all rolled into one.

Trying to prop the guy up by comparing to one of our worst is not helping the cause.  Particularly when Idzik was a horror show, but he was arguably as successful drafting as the current regime.   

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

OH Heck agenda. gosh no!

Quincy Enunwa, Brian Winters, and Dakota are hanging with the players that are still on the team, including lots of Mac's picks.  He by no means deserves a pass considering players there when he did draft, but hey, 3 out of 19 picks for Idzik...Oh heck, a couple more are still in the NFL!  Idzik was a GEEEENEEEUS!

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

OH Heck agenda. gosh no!

Why do people think this makes Maccagnan look good

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sheldon Richardson was as good as any player Maccagnan has selected.  Aboushi was playing every snap for the Seahawks until he dislocated his shoulder.  Bohanon was the FB on the Jags, you know, the team in the AFC championship game. Brandon Dixon was playing every snap for the Giants over the last quarter of the season, so much worse than Juston Burris' 30% snap rate when he was basically gifted a starting job in camp. Jace Amaro sucks, but he has more receiving yards as a Jet than Devin Smith, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Jordan Leggett and Charone Peake.  More TDs too. Likewise, Dee Milliner sucks, but he has one less INT than Burris, Adams and Maye combined. More passes defended though.  Jeremiah George had a half a sack last year for the Colts.  Not much, but more than Dylan Donahue and guess which one didn't get arrested.  Geno blows, but compared to Petty and Hackenberg he was Unitas, Montana, and Steve Young all rolled into one.

Trying to prop the guy up by comparing to one of our worst is not helping the cause.  Particularly when Idzik was a horror show, but he was arguably as successful drafting as the current regime.   

7676E3BE-9FC6-4558-B5FD-34A2AA694CA5.gif

While the Hackenberg pick forever define his tenure here (until he hits on a QB that is)... the selection of WR A. Stewart is almost on equal playing field as "why the fck..." pick. Marcus Maye's production on the field is only thing keeping him out this conversation as well. We could have had Dalvin Cook, or Kareem hunt - at a position of need for this team... instead of signing Rawls & co. this year.

He needs to make better decisions. 

7 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_5917.jpg

If there’s one positive thing about being a brand new NFL GM taking over a team nearly bereft of talent, it’s that you may have a bit of extra time to spend in developing some of your young draft choices.  After all, it’s not as if Jets GM Mike Maccagnan came to town with a robust group of quality players and few roster spots available.  His predecessor, John Idzik, filled the roster with players who would have likely been viewed as camp bodies anywhere outside of his office.

However, with three drafts in the rear view mirror, another draft just around the corner, and a spending spree in free agency, it’s going to be time for Maccagnan to start dumping previous picks who have either failed to impress on the field, or haven’t been able to stay on it due to injury.

This means that Mac is likely on the verge of his first housecleaning after cutting just one drafted player (Jarvis Harrison) since taking over as Jets GM.  While it may seem impressive to retain almost three entire draft classes, the number is misleading as several players have hung around by spending huge chunks of time on injured reserve.

OLB Lorenzo Mauldin, WR Devin Smith, WR Charone Peake, CB Jeremy Clark, OLB Dylan Donahue and TE Jordan Leggett spent all or most of 2017 on injured reserve.  Had they been healthy, there’s no telling who would have stuck and who would have been let go.

Here’s a look at who could be sent packing by the time the team opens up their 2018 season on Monday Night Football in Detroit.

OLB Lorenzo Mauldin: Mauldin spent all of last season on IR with a back injury after an up and down 2016 season.  He’ll get his shot to win a job this season, but if the injuries persist and/or he doesn’t elevate his level of play, he could be gone.  Mauldin did show some pass rush ability as a rookie, and his roster spot will be safe if that’s the case again this year.

WR Devin Smith: Smith has spent more time on IR than he has as an active player.  It would take a miracle for Smith to Stick this season, a devastating blow as the former second-round pick was lauded by experts at the time of his selection.  Smith’s body hasn’t held up to the demands of the NFL.

Bryce Petty: A project QB who was taken in the fourth round, things haven’t worked out for Petty thus far and he’s a likely casualty this off-season.

DL Deon Simon: Simon was impressive two years ago and appeared to trending upward.  He followed that with a strong pre-season in 2017 but the Jets opted to go with free agent addition Mike Pennel in Simon’s place, leaving him as the odd man out.  The Jets are thin on the D-line this season so Simon has an outside chance to stick, but don’t be surprised if he doesn’t.

WR Charone Peake: A traits-based seventh round pick, Peake spent last season on IR and the Jets are currently carrying sixteen WR’s. Somebody has got to go.

IMG_1987-300x214.jpg

WR Charone Peake spent most of last season on injured reserve.

QB Christian Hackenberg: Maccagnan’s worst pick to date, Hackenberg has yet to set foot on the field and the team just traded up to draft a quarterback later this week.

OLB Dylan Donahue: Moving on from Donahue wouldn’t be all that likely after just one season if the only issue was his injury last year, but two DUI arrests since being drafted will have Donahue under the microscope.

WR Ardarius Stewart: A third-round draft choice just one season ago, it’s hard to envision Stewart being cut by Maccagnan, but the situation doesn’t look all that good for the Alabama product.  During the course of last season, Stewart was passed on the depth chart by fourth-round pick Chad Hansen.  In addition, the Jets signed Terrelle Pryor and Quincy Enunwa is expected back this season.  If Stewart is behind Pryor, Robby Anderson, Jermaine Kearse, Enunwa and Hansen, he’ll be competing with nine or ten players for the sixth receiving spot.

As they say, “out with the old, in with the new”, so when the “new” comes in over the course of the next week via draft choices and undrafted free agents, it may be time for Mike Maccagnan to wave goodbye to those players who haven’t worked out up to this point.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

YEVYcoAMs9w

Click here to read the full story...

Stewart stinks. Long strider who doesn't change direction quickly enough. Hackenberg was simply a swing and miss, Mauldin was doing great until he got crunched and suffered a neck injury. I hope he bounces back. I like Peake, good size/speed combination but must show a tougher attitude and an ability to out jump smaller DB's for the ball. Petty looked better his second season than his third which is sad that he regressed so badly. A lot of that has to do with coaching and may be why Morton got a pink slip. Clark can't get on the field so obviously he can't cut it.

53 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I love how everyone thinks its always about propping up Mac.

Agenda-man has just that; an agenda.  I'm sure he was first in line to have Idzik fired, and since Mac didn't bring a Super Bowl by year 2, he wanted him fired.  Just like I am sure the next GM will be in front of a firing squad after 730 days of no Super Bowl.

Mac has done a good job at finding role-players and hidden gems that have contributed.  But that isn't enough.  Out of three first round picks, only one of them is what I would call solid, and that is at best.  One 2nd rounder has always been injured, and one has never played.  NOWHERE near good enough.

He has not found a QB or a pass-rusher.  He will be gone in a year if that is still the case.  You can actually be objective, credit Mac for what he is done well and still not be satisfied with the end result.  But with many Jets fans, its all-or-nothing. 

No one is giving us a thing for Petty. Very good chance he’s not on a roster next year

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived