### Jets vs Giants - Preseason Game 3 --- The Game Thread ###

Maxman

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Bowles on his post game presser:  Penalties were unacceptable, but we will clean them up.

How many times have we heard this before.  The guy has no clue how to "clean them up".

Didn’t he say that just before the game started? ?

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Manning threw a buttload of picks when he started. He had no problem trying to make a play happen because he knew he was the team. Sam Darnold might have to be this whole team, and right now he hasn't shown any guts including on plays when he had protection. I'm excited for the guy but seeing him show little desire to take a chance and make a play is a bit concerning. He has been deadly accurate and I would love to talk about that but your homerism is so overwhelming you make it hard to enjoy being a fan of football. 

Recall preseason 2006.  We were saying the same thing about chad pennington.  Then week 1, he slung it all over the place for over 300 yards and we beat tenn.

He is going to sling it all over.  Its just not being shown in the preseason.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Manning threw a buttload of picks when he started. He had no problem trying to make a play happen because he knew he was the team. Sam Darnold might have to be this whole team, and right now he hasn't shown any guts including on plays when he had protection. I'm excited for the guy but seeing him show little desire to take a chance and make a play is a bit concerning. He has been deadly accurate and I would love to talk about that but your homerism is so overwhelming you make it hard to enjoy being a fan of football. 

Coaching staff is definitely stifling Darnold because they’re SO CONCERNED about his turnovers last year at USC. Let the kid play. Cut him loose. That’s what made him so magical his freshman year. 

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You know, sometimes it's just less cringy to throw your hands up and say "Yeah, I guess you got me there".

But you didn't. I've only said "eyeball test" to one poster on this site (Jet Nut), and I find the "eyeball test" to be a lazy alternative to saying, "I have an opinion and I'm sticking to it no matter what." I also have a proven track record of being about analytics and sarcasm. So seeing an opportunity to make a reference to a prior post and make my point while also being a dick, I took it. 

I thought the jets showed well.  ST during a preseason game, I can live with sh*tting the bed in that area.  there will be better players there during the season.  the defense gave up a couple long plays but stiffened up and didn't let up a td.  Even caused a fumble or two.  Darnold put some nice drives together.  nice passes. got put behind the sticks with some penalties but all in all I like what I saw.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Recall preseason 2006.  We were saying the same thing about chad pennington.  Then week 1, he slung it all over the place for over 300 yards and we beat tenn.

I was thinking this and hope for it. 

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It was his best year in forever and no one expected it.  Whatever 

He basically had the exact same season in Buffalo playing for CHAN GAILEY 3 years prior.

Fitzpatrick finished the 2011 season with 3,832 yards and 24 touchdowns,[37]

2012Edit

Fitzpatrick returned as the Bills' starter during the 2012 season, throwing for 3,400 yards, 24 touchdowns, and 16 interceptions.[38] Following Chan Gailey's firing after the season.....

Whatever. LOL. 

You are bad at this. 

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

In preseason 2012, the offense looked awful under Sparano and then Sanchez exploded in game 1 vs the Bills. 

My point is less the gameplanning portion of the preseason game but more in line with the player displaying his tools. Bridgewater is what he is - an exceptional game manager - I want Darnold to be more than that. He tried one deep ball (all preseason) and it failed miserably. I hope he gets the chance to fail because I think he has the tools to improve on those failures but between this coaching staff and Darnold's history of turnovers he might end up more Alex Smith than Aaron Rodgers. 

53 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Tom Brady was a game manager his first seasons as a starter. 

48 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

But you didn't. I've only said "eyeball test" to one poster on this site (Jet Nut), and I find the "eyeball test" to be a lazy alternative to saying, "I have an opinion and I'm sticking to it no matter what." I also have a proven track record of being about analytics and sarcasm. So seeing an opportunity to make a reference to a prior post and make my point while also being a dick, I took it. 

giphy (12).gif

11 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I watched him live, he dinged and dunked.  Lots of passes at or behind the line of scrimmage. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

He basically had the exact same season in Buffalo playing for CHAN GAILEY 3 years prior.

His best season in years.  But 24 TDs are not the same as 31.  16 INTS are close but not as good as 15.  3400 yards aren't the same as 3900 yards.  Just as winning 6 isn't the same as winning 10.  As I said the best season in years. 

Whats your point?  What how does this prove that Bowles is like Fisher? 

I think what we are seeing with Darnold is a very young QB who has heard for the last 9 months that his biggest weakness was his propensity to turn the ball over.  Now he comes to the NFL on team with a defensive HC, with an even larger emphasis on not turning the ball over.  I don’t know what the coaches are telling him, or the level of aggressiveness of the play calls but it does seem they are easing him into the transition.  I haven’t watched an all 22 of the games so I don’t know if there has been numerous opportunities downfield with open receivers that he is simply not throwing to or if the play designs are for him to stay in the short to medium range.  Watching Darnold in college you would never call him conservative or afraid of throwing downfield, so seeing him now tells me the coaches have been preaching a conservative approach.  I just hope they don’t coach out what makes him what he is.   

I do know however that this team needs to figure out how to run the ball better or it’s going to be a very tough year for Darnold.  Run blocking isn’t good and I’m not too enamoured with the RBs in general.  This team isn’t going to be good this year, we knew that, but I hope we don’t see a situation where these coaches neuter Darnold to the point it sets his development back.  I have a bad feeling this is very similar to the Jared Goff situation with Fisher, we’ll see if Bates can not allow that to happen.  

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Lots of kids, he addressed the need to clean it up.  

No offense Jet Nut, because I like a lot of what you say: However, he has been 'addressing' this for years.

You're the coach; send a message.  Cut someone and make a point.  OR better yet, hire some assistants who can teach better technique.

10 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Rashard Robinson has looked good this preseason. The guy can play.

Could provide a boost to the CB depth in Week 5 once he comes back from suspension.

That’s great news.   Mac got skewered for trading a 5th rounder for him last year

i thought it was going to be a wasted pick

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

No offense Jet Nut, because I like a lot of what you say: However, he has been 'addressing' this for years.

You're the coach; send a message.  Cut someone and make a point.  OR better yet, hire some assistants who can teach better technique.

None taken, thanks.  I was looking at the teams penalties under Bowles, think one season was bad, the rest so so.  But interestingly their penalty totals compared to their opponents were similar.  I think last year pissed him off and its led to it being addressed this year at camp.  We've all read about the team doing pushups as punishment for penalties.  Dont know what more you can do.  We'll see i guess in the regular season when we're not watching grocery clerks playing and when the referees slow down with the head calls and the defensive holding/hands calls.  They were awfful last night, so so vs the Skins and good against Atlanta I think. 

But youre 100% right, we cant have all these penalties, were not a good enough team to make up for them.

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Maybe we should think about bringing in a HC/gm Who will build around this once in a lifetime qb? Or should we just let Bowles draft and sign D so we are no worse than 26th  ranked D??

Bowles doesnt draft or sign anyone.  

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Trenton Cannon on kick returns with a huge fumble. 

Im still concerned about a KR and PR on this team.

I think that experiment is over.  Didnt work out too well, to say the least.

Archived