Leonard Floyd - Roughing the Passer - NFL has jumped the shark

nycdan

OMG.  Now you can't even hit the QBs arm while he is in the act of passing?  Maybe you need to just stand nearby and call him names?

On the other hand, Floyd definitely deserved the flag he got for this WWE move on Amendola.  Best tackle of the year! LOL

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

We’re all still crack babies to the garbage.

...although I only watch Jets games now

Same.  I broke the DirectTicket habit about 2 years ago and I really don't miss it.  I'll catch a SNF or MNF from time to time but I don't need 9 hours of football on Sundays.  And this garbage officiating makes it even easier to go outside at 4pm.  However, having said that, if they had more plays like the second tackle on Amendola, I might reconsider.  That is pure entertainment gold there, peeps.

32 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Like I said before you might as well remove sacks from the game. Breeland Speaks stopped tackling Brady last night probably because of the BS rule...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

i saw that.  it certainly looked like he released tommy boy and collinsworth said it was because he was afraid of getting flagged for roughing.  it's pure bs especially when you see these qb's still being able to pass the ball even with the defender grabbing them.  it's great that qb has enough awareness to throw the ball but if the nfl was really intent on protecting the qb then once a defender has grabbed part of the qb the play should be dead.

i saw that.  it certainly looked like he released tommy boy and collinsworth said it was because he was afraid of getting flagged for roughing.  it's pure bs especially when you see these qb's still being able to pass the ball even with the defender grabbing them.  it's great that qb has enough awareness to throw the ball but if the nfl was really intent on protecting the qb then once a defender has grabbed part of the qb the play should be dead.
That's where it seems to be going. Two hand touch the QB. From there it's going to be a 3 second rule, where the defender has to politely hold the QB for some judgement call.

They have to fix these rules quickly.

The problem, as usual with the NFL, is the subjective nature of these calls, and what seems to be totally biased.

There is a total lack of consistency with officiating and rules interpretation, and while I would like to attribute that to bad refs, I think its more game manipulation by the refs and the NFL.

How many times do the Pats come out on a bad end of a call?

29 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

That's where it seems to be going. Two hand touch the QB. From there it's going to be a 3 second rule, where the defender has to politely hold the QB for some judgement call.

imo that would be fine if it were applied evenly.  too often we see qb's making a play while seemingly in the grasp and you can imagine the disenchantment if a play is called back for this.  i remember when the jets played cincy way back when boomer was a bengal and the defender basically grabbed boomer's ankle.  he completed the pass but it was called back because he was in the grasp.  it was plenty ticky tacky then as it would be now.

2 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Except for Brady.  The defense will need 3 hands on Brady to get a stop-whistle.  Of course if two defenders touch him that's a roughing penalty so...well...

The rule is BS. You have already had a guy blow out his knee trying the protect the QB he just sacked.

Just hit em, take the penalty and the fine. The cost of doing buisness.

Just put in the grasp rule back in. I am sick and tired of every rule change being put in effect not just to protect the QB but to increase scoring. This is the damn arena league. It stinks.

5 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

The rule is BS. You have already had a guy blow out his knee trying the protect the QB he just sacked.

Just hit em, take the penalty and the fine. The cost of doing buisness.

Just put in the grasp rule back in. I am sick and tired of every rule change being put in effect not just to protect the QB but to increase scoring. This is the damn arena league. It stinks.

Scoring is up 2.4 points per game over last year.  Pretty much all tied to passing TDs.  This is shocking...to no one.

I do like that 2pt conversions are up.  

Rk Year Tms RshTD RecTD PR TD KR TD FblTD IntTD OthTD AllTD 2PM 2PA XPM XPA FGM FGA Sfty Pts
1 2018 32 0.78 1.76 0.02 0.01 0.05 0.08 0.01 2.71 0.17 0.29 2.29 2.41 1.72 2.05 0.01 24.1
2 2017 32 0.74 1.45 0.02 0.01 0.08 0.08 0.01 2.39 0.07 0.16 2.08 2.21 1.69 2.01 0.03 21.7
3 2016 32 0.87 1.54 0.02 0.01 0.04 0.07 0.01 2.56 0.10 0.21 2.19 2.33 1.66 1.97 0.04 22.7
4 2015 32 0.71 1.64 0.03 0.01 0.06 0.10 0.01 2.56 0.09 0.18 2.24 2.38 1.63 1.93 0.03 22.8
5 2014 32 0.74 1.58 0.03 0.01 0.05 0.09 0.02 2.52 0.05 0.11 2.39 2.40 1.62 1.93 0.04 22.6

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's astonishing to see humans make bad calls. Like you, I have never made a bad judgment call in my life. 

Exactly. Burn these imperfect beings at the stake! Jojo and I will rule over the ashes.

So I pulled up the actual NFL rule and found this paragraph which completely surprised me:

A defensive player is prohibited from clubbing the arm of a passer during a pass or just after a pass has been thrown; however, a defensive player may grasp, pull, or otherwise make normal contact with a passer’s arm in attempting to tackle him.

Looking at the replay, I wouldn't characterize it as 'clubbing'.  More like a swipe as he tried to deflect the ball.  Ref made a very bad call, but this rule at least explains what he may have been thinking.

25 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The Breeland play should give the league pause.  It won’t, but it should.  That a player passed on making a routine play for fear of a penalty ought to make everyone wonder what the game really is at this point.

This isn't new really,  "in the grasp" used to be called all the time until they strengthened criteria in response to criticism. That play might of been flagged dead in the 80's. They are trying to protect the QB's in order to keep the points and passing yards flowing but also would lose a lot of excitement/great plays if they want back to calling in the grasp on plays like that or moving to something like 2 hand touch or flags on the QB.

It's not an easy problem to solve because coaches want QB's keeping eyes down the field but that pretty much makes them defenseless and they should be offered some protection.

imo that would be fine if it were applied evenly.  too often we see qb's making a play while seemingly in the grasp and you can imagine the disenchantment if a play is called back for this.  i remember when the jets played cincy way back when boomer was a bengal and the defender basically grabbed boomer's ankle.  he completed the pass but it was called back because he was in the grasp.  it was plenty ticky tacky then as it would be now.
I know that's the thing they are changing rules that were somewhat legitimate to BS.

7 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Hopefully this continues so the rule goes away.

I still watch the Jets, but I watch a lot less of other teams.

Every single week, either a BS roughing the QB or a BS pass interference.  

I still watch the Jets, but I watch a lot less of other teams.
Every single week, either a BS roughing the QB or a BS pass interference.  
I know but how long will it take before they realize it's killing the game.

This isn't new really,  "in the grasp" used to be called all the time until they strengthened criteria in response to criticism. That play might of been flagged dead in the 80's. They are trying to protect the QB's in order to keep the points and passing yards flowing but also would lose a lot of excitement/great plays if they want back to calling in the grasp on plays like that or moving to something like 2 hand touch or flags on the QB.
It's not an easy problem to solve because coaches want QB's keeping eyes down the field but that pretty much makes them defenseless and they should be offered some protection.
It isn't new but the constant changes is deteriorating the game. Go back to in the grasp.

3 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

I know but how long will it take before they realize it's killing the game.

Will be curious to see if they even mention the Breeland play during any of tonight's broadcast, considering that the new rule potentially cost the Chiefs the game just as it's potentially cost the Packers a game this year.

Archived