Convince me on McCarthy.(And if you don’t like McCarthy then convince me on your most desired candidate)

Patriot Killa

8 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I don't know.  de Fillipo did not impress --against the Patriots, of all teams.  I am intrigued by the guy in NO.  But he may not have the chops to be a HC. It is more than just play design.   I dont know if he is sharp and gets buried by Payton or if he just manages the projector, so to speak.  I just love the number of simple completions they create for decent gains.  And they run it too.  And I love the NO offense.  Not a Harbaugh guy.  But there is an argument for the Jets hiring someone who has been a head coach.  Their problems are more than just X's and O's.  Maybe the college ranks?

Check out my thread on Toub and let me know if that choice intrigues you. You are absolutely right. Being HC is more than drawing schemes up.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Check out my thread on Toub and let me know if that choice intrigues you. You are absolutely right. Being HC is more than drawing schemes up.

I read something on Toub being highly regarded.  I kind of like under-the-radar guys.

7 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I read something on Toub being highly regarded.  I kind of like under-the-radar guys.

18 very successful years in the league and has been tutored by Andy Reid. He’s the assistant head coach. He’s in all the classroom meetings and by his side on game day.

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If the Steelers fall apart this year and end up firing Mike Tomlin, what do we think of him?  Personally I'd still rather go with John Harbaugh (if he's available) but Tomlin could be an interesting choice too.

Noooo!!!!!! Not another head coach that squanders unbelievable talent. I never liked the guy either so my opinion is probably biased. 

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If the Steelers fall apart this year and end up firing Mike Tomlin, what do we think of him?  Personally I'd still rather go with John Harbaugh (if he's available) but Tomlin could be an interesting choice too.

I don’t think they fire Tomlin

It may be time to go after someone like McCarthy who at the very least has prior experience doing the job of HC, and comes from an organization that knows what its doing. He also has a ton of experience developing QBs which is what is needed the most here. 

The caveat with McCarthy is that I would want him to adapt and hire bright young assitants to help modernize his offense. Andy Reid is a good example of how to do it.

On 12/3/2018 at 6:53 AM, Larz said:

Nobody that is any good is coming here 

Sooner you accept it the better 

I tend to agree with this for a number of reasons:

If MAC stays, I think that’s a problem. He’s hit some singles and doubles, maybe a HR, but way too many strikeouts. So will it be up to Mac to pick his guy? Not really feeling good about this.

The organization is FUBAR, changing OC’s frequently as well as HC’s. When was the last time a HC established themselves and the organization as a whole. Not a stable franchise. 

Whoever takes the job is looking at another 2-3 years to get everything the way they want it, just in time to usher in a new HC. 

This has been a struggling organization for a long time. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I like Tomlin. He’s a firery HC. But I don’t see the Steelers dumping him. They are a pretty stable organization. 

Here’s all I need to know about McCarthy , Aaron Jones is a top 10 running back in this league and has the explosiveness to break one any play . For two years anyone with working eyeballs can see this, except McCarthy who aside from weeks 9-11 this year almost uses jones and Jamal Williams , the definition of JAG and that’s being kind to him, in a 50/50 split ... maybe that’s on the coordinator but it’s so obvious I would think the head coach has to tell his coordinator enough already ... Also being on prime time a lot recently , McCarthy has made some bad clock management decisions and some really dumb challenges where the outcome of the challenge didn’t warrant the use of a challenge ... can’t see talent that’s obvious to fans , bad clock management , bad challenges - surely he will be the next jets hc

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Noooo!!!!!! Not another head coach that squanders unbelievable talent. I never liked the guy either so my opinion is probably biased. 

Yeah I can’t decide if he’s living off the strength of a HOF QB and a talented overall roster or he’s contributing to their success. I still would prefer him over McCarthy though. 

I'll be honest, I know I want Macc and Bowles both fired.

I have no idea who I should want to replace them.  No.  Idea.

If The Cane were a few years younger, I honestly might want him.  While he was a specials coach, so a reach to be a Head Coach tbqh, I always loved his demeanor and that he held players and others accountable.  We've missed that for FAR too long in New York.  Play the best players playing the best, rip asses when they fail to do what they should.  Sadly, The Cane is too old I think at this point.

So here is what I want:  A GM who doesn't suck at drafting (I know, asking alot).

And an experienced Offensive minded Head Coach candidate who will for the first time in a decade plus give us an Offense worth watching and designed with 2018 in mind, not 1968.

It's really not asking for much.  

Carmichael is another guy that I find a bit scary.  People list him as a "bright offensive mind" but he has been linked to Payton and Brees for so long, that it is hard to figure who is causing all the "bright offense."  He's also been linked to Marty Schottenheimer who was about as stone aged as it gets.  Worse, I think Payton has been calling the plays all along and he has been a name but not hired for ages.  If he were that good an interview with a good plan he'd have gotten somebody to hire him. 

On 12/3/2018 at 7:28 AM, GreenFish said:

My top two choices are Carmichael and Toub. I wouldn’t mind DeFilippo but think he could use some more time.

With Carmichael and Toub, when you listen to them talk football, they just seem ready to have the lead job. Carmichael seems knowledgeable on the draft process and seems like a guy who can work well with Macc (he’s not getting fired unfortunately). 

Regardless of the choice, they will need to build a good staff. Both come from good trees and likely will have access to top coaches particularly on the offensive side.

This sounds good. I’m starting to like the Toub idea more and more, especially if he could bring Bieniemy with him. That checks the box of the young OC. On the other side of the ball, I’d be a little more creative. I’d give a guy like Jim Schwartz or Chuck Pagano a title like asst HC in order to get them to take a coordinator job or make a lateral move. Whoever the DC is, I’d want him to be the type who prefers an aggressive attacking style. That’s where we seem to have the most talent, and I feel it obviously hasn’t been used properly.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No chance of this happening, but I’d love him. He’d immediately become every teams first choice I think. I’d love to be his agent if he ever hit the open market.

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This sounds good. I’m starting to like the Toub idea more and more, especially if he could bring Bieniemy with him. That checks the box of the young OC. On the other side of the ball, I’d be a little more creative. I’d give a guy like Jim Schwartz or Chuck Pagano a title like asst HC in order to get them to take a coordinator job or make a lateral move. Whoever the DC is, I’d want him to be the type who prefers an aggressive attacking style. That’s where we seem to have the most talent, and I feel it obviously hasn’t been used properly.

You think Bieniemy is going to leave the Chiefs under Reid to join the Jets under the ST coach?  Why?  Besides, he took the job in 2018, he is likely under contract and can be blocked from interviewing unless he is going for a promotion.  Our OC isn't one.  If you want a whacky OC to join with Toub, think Kingsbury, but I think that Toub will be more traditional.  

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think Bieniemy is going to leave the Chiefs under Reid to join the Jets under the ST coach?  Why?  Besides, he took the job in 2018, he is likely under contract and can be blocked from interviewing unless he is going for a promotion.  Our OC isn't one.  If you want a whacky OC to join with Toub, think Kingsbury, but I think that Toub will be more traditional.  

Good point about Bieniemy. I’ve been following the Klingsbury thread here, and i forgot to mention him. I’d love to have him, even as HC although that’s a move I think is too outside the box for a team like the Jets to consider.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:42 PM, Patriot Killa said:

Advocates of McCarthy...show me the light. Packer fans are telling me that he is too conservative and he’ll run on 3rd/10. They tell me he’ll try to force schemes on players that don’t fit and he’ll fail at it. They say he isn’t creative enough.

Some of them say he’s a good coach and had success but his play calling has been outdated.

use this thread to convince me that he’s the first guy you schedule an interview with this offseason. 

Edit:: And If you hate the guy as an option, convince me on your desired candidate.

Mark. Helfrich.

OC, Chicago Bears. On his watch, the Bears are 5th in the league in scoring at 28.7 ppg (.1 behind Pittsburgh, a team with far better weapons); in 2017, the Bears were 29th in the league at 16.5 points per game.  Some of that is due to Matt Nagy coming in and calling plays, some is due to an influx of offensive talent (Burton, Robinson, Gabriel, Miller), but a chunk of that is due to Helfrich's play design and work with the offense in practices, and Trubisky in particular.

Was the HC at Oregon from 2013-16, so he has experience running an entire team (i.e. not just a coordinator who will have no clue how to deal with things like clock management or overseeing the team as a whole), and his teams had dynamic offenses for his entire tenure

Was the OC at Oregon from 2009-2012, under Chip Kelly. Brilliant offensive mind who understands today's game.

Checks every box on the "ideal resume" list other than NFL success as a head coach. Sign me up

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Mark. Helfrich.

OC, Chicago Bears. On his watch, the Bears are 5th in the league in scoring at 28.7 ppg (.1 behind Pittsburgh, a team with far better weapons); in 2017, the Bears were 29th in the league at 16.5 points per game.  Some of that is due to Matt Nagy coming in and calling plays, some is due to an influx of offensive talent (Burton, Robinson, Gabriel, Miller), but a chunk of that is due to Helfrich's play design and work with the offense in practices, and Trubisky in particular.

Was the HC at Oregon from 2013-16, so he has experience running an entire team (i.e. not just a coordinator who will have no clue how to deal with things like clock management or overseeing the team as a whole), and his teams had dynamic offenses for his entire tenure

Was the OC at Oregon from 2009-2012, under Chip Kelly. Brilliant offensive mind who understands today's game.

Checks every box on the "ideal resume" list other than NFL success as a head coach. Sign me up

DAMN GOOD CALL!

I forgot about him, didn't know he was now on the Pro level. I do recall his time w/Oregon.

Urban Meyer.  Finds ways to beat (Belichick-clone) Nick Saban.  Able to win with just about any QB.  And he's currently unemployed.

Paul Chryst.  Wisconsin HC.  Made Russell Wilson from a 54% to a 72% passer.  Wins with less talent.

Chris Peterson.  Washington HC.  Offensive innovator.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809019-unloved-by-fans-mike-mccarthy-is-what-a-lot-of-nfl-teams-want-and-need

The Jets

Replace "Baker Mayfield" with "Sam Darnold" and McCarthy to the Jets makes as much sense as McCarthy to the Browns. Even McCarthy's most predictable game plans would be a major step up from the current Jets offense, whose signature play is a punt from midfield while trailing late in the game.

The Jets need a new general manager in addition to a new head coach. McCarthy won't do much good if Mike Maccagnan keeps handing him Quincy Enunwa and Trenton Cannon and claiming they are Antonio Brownand Alvin Kamara.

That makes projecting McCarthy to the Jets tricky. He's never had personnel control, doesn't seem suited for the role (check out how he handled the Packers running backs for the last five years), and there aren't many old Packers execs hanging around after the Packers and Browns divvied them up last offseason. But like the Browns, the Jets would schedule parades if McCarthy could bring them a few of his "disappointing" 2012-16 seasons. 

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Carmichael is another guy that I find a bit scary.  People list him as a "bright offensive mind" but he has been linked to Payton and Brees for so long, that it is hard to figure who is causing all the "bright offense."  He's also been linked to Marty Schottenheimer who was about as stone aged as it gets.  Worse, I think Payton has been calling the plays all along and he has been a name but not hired for ages.  If he were that good an interview with a good plan he'd have gotten somebody to hire him. 

I love how all these assistants no one has any clue about are “brilliant offensive minds” but the guy who developed Rodgers from the time he was drafted and won a Super Bowl he sucks

22 hours ago, Untouchable said:

For the Bieniemy fans...when the hell was the last time you saw Andy Reid on the sideline without a play call sheet in his hand?

I don’t know how you feel about McCarthy but he has the sheet in his hands most of the games also

22 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Not so sure the super aggressive style of defense works in the modern NFL especially against elite QBs. I think you need to scheme 4 man pressures and mostly play coverage, mixing and disguising zone and man to man as much as you can especially pre-snap. I think super aggressive defenses like Rex used to have really dont work anymore

38 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I don’t know how you feel about McCarthy but he has the sheet in his hands most of the games also

I wouldn’t be pissed if we brought in McCarthy, but he certainly has his faults. He makes some of the same game management gaffs that Bowles makes.

He’s also married to his system and seemingly won’t bend for anybody, including Aaron Rodgers.

But at least he’s a respected offensive minded coach with a nice track record, even if a lot of that can be chalked up to having Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers his entire HC career.

Still, Favre respects the hell out of him and I would at least feel pretty comfortable with him putting Darnold on the right track.

Jim Schwartz - guy is not an offensive genius, true. But his defenses have been amongst the best everywhere he has gone with most of our talent being on defense currently it might be best for us to get a guy who can use our players right and strengthen our strength. He has experience as a head coach and is full of fire and emotion which is something our team is and has been lacking. Though he is not an offensive genius his offense with the lions was far from boring and bland though the flip of that coin is he had Calvin Johnson. The most important thing here is I genuinely think he would not only take this job but want it as well.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Mark. Helfrich.

He's an interesting candidate that nobody is talking about.

Oregon imploded on his watch but that did seem to be mostly recruiting related which obviously isn't a factor at the NFL level.

I'd be cool with Helfrich.

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not so sure the super aggressive style of defense works in the modern NFL especially against elite QBs. I think you need to scheme 4 man pressures and mostly play coverage, mixing and disguising zone and man to man as much as you can especially pre-snap. I think super aggressive defenses like Rex used to have really dont work anymore

Which is why we need to draft an edge rusher with our top 3 pick

Archived