Bell or draft?

Patriot Killa

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Samuels played tight end in college and stepped right in. Jets have two 3rd rounders this year, how about taking a back there. 

we're adding a rb either way, but i think plan A is to get bell, much like plan A was to get cousins.  plus, since mccagnan's job will clearly be on the line with the primary criterion being how darnold develops, just selfishly his objective should be to make the offense look better right away.  

if you put bell on this team with some improvements on the OL and wr this team can be 8-8 in a hurry.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

we're adding a rb either way, but i think plan A is to get bell, much like plan A was to get cousins.  plus, since mccagnan's job will clearly be on the line with the primary criterion being how darnold develops, just selfishly his objective should be to make the offense look better right away.  

if you put bell on this team with some improvements on the OL and wr this team can be 8-8 in a hurry.

Bell coming off a missed season, always at risk for a suspension and a massive contract would be absurd. There is zero reason to pay him. Draft a running back in rounds 2-4. Take two backs there if you want to. Teams take backs in the middle rounds every year, the Jets refsuing to invest into the position isn’t a good reason to overspend for a guy coming off the couch. I don’t even think Shepherd played on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Bell coming off a missed season, always at risk for a suspension and a massive contract would be absurd. There is zero reason to pay him. Draft a running back in rounds 2-4. Take two backs there. Teams take backs in the middle rounds every year, the Jets refsuing to invest into the position isn’t a good reason to overspend for a guy coming off the couch.

Agreed.  Let another team pay all that money for Bell.  There are other backs to bring in.  Spend on the O-line and receivers and draft a bunch of receivers and backs.  Get a good O-line and a couple WRs that can play and you immediately improve the running game without spending $60 million on a suspect RB.  

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The real mistake is looking at Conner and thinking it proves that the RB on Pitt is a product of the OL and team only.  Conner was a top prospect at RB who fell because of his bout with cancer, not because he was a lower tier player

that is true but the Steelers fed Conner TDs out of spite to prove they didn't need Bell 

he's not really an elite player just a good or very good player in a great spot. 

Give the Jets that OL, that QB, those WR and Isaiah Crowell would be James Conner 

22 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Bell is no Curtis Martin,  it's like comparing Charles Manson to Mother Theresa.  He would be a malcontent/cancer on a young team lacking developed leadership.  Be careful what you wish for. By the way how did you like being used and disrespected by Revis on two occasions, when he shook down the Jets?  That and his pitiful curtain call season with the team left a putrid taste in my mouth that remains to this day

I had zero problem with how Revis acted-zero. If I was a player in his shoes I would have done the same thing. NFL teams show zero player loyalty and cut a player the second he gets hurt or slows down.  I loved watching Revis island in his prime-he shut down the best of the best including megatron and was a legit shadow corner.  The jets have money to burn and have no idea how to draft-sign bell and sign a proven FA wr then draft online over and over again.  

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Let another team pay all that money for Bell.  There are other backs to bring in.  Spend on the O-line and receivers and draft a bunch of receivers and backs.  Get a good O-line and a couple WRs that can play and you immediately improve the running game without spending $60 million on a suspect RB.  

the problem with this thinking is there's no OL to sign other than Trenton Brown.  There's not really a ton of great WR going to hit FA (better than Robby or Quincy). The Jets have 100 mil in cap room and the cap went up another 11 mil

i understand the shortcomings with paying Bell but they have to pay someone and Darnold needs weapons. 

The reality is Jets fans are turning their nose up but that dude could sign with KC or someplace else and not even go to the Jets

Once again when people say "draft a RB"

We have more pressing needs than RB, and those needs have to be addressed via the draft. Why would you want us to use a pick on a back and then that's 1 less pick we have for bigger needs.

Bell is better than any RB in the draft, and signing him eliminates using a pick on a back in the draft, so then we can use all our draft capital on our needs (Edge rusher, OL, WR).

There are some decent backs that are still “young” and would help form a solid backfield. Away, Coleman, Hill and I’m sure there are others, would be a decent compliment to Crowell.

We can’t keep McGuire AND/OR Canon. Maybe 1 of them as the #3 back and throw Canon in the practice squad. I think they both suck but may be serviceable with an improved o-line. More Trash picks by Mac. 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Bell coming off a missed season, always at risk for a suspension and a massive contract would be absurd. There is zero reason to pay him. Draft a running back in rounds 2-4. Take two backs there if you want to. Teams take backs in the middle rounds every year, the Jets refsuing to invest into the position isn’t a good reason to overspend for a guy coming off the couch. I don’t even think Shepherd played on Saturday.

i think the value play is to draft rbs, but that's not what i'm saying.  i'm predicting that mccagnan goes hard after bell b/c it's the easiest, fastest way to improve the offense.  

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the problem with this thinking is there's no OL to sign other than Trenton Brown.  There's not really a ton of great WR going to hit FA (better than Robby or Quincy). The Jets have 100 mil in cap room and the cap went up another 11 mil

i understand the shortcomings with paying Bell but they have to pay someone and Darnold needs weapons. 

The reality is Jets fans are turning their nose up but that dude could sign with KC or someplace else and not even go to the Jets

every team is looking for competent OL to protect their franchise qbs.  nowadays you have to draft and develop them yourselves.  

Why would Bell come here?

Easy to say "money" but we all saw what happened with Kirk Cousins got offered a little more money by us than the Vikings...

Fact is, a lot of teams will have money.  They Jets don't have much of an offensive line, or frankly, much else besides a young QB with up side.

The Colts, who have more money, and are a rumored landing spot, are better at QB, and have an offensive line.

You'd probably be looking at outbidding another team by 3-4M per year to get him to come here.  Do you really want to do that?

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I think come March there could be some more guys available.  The free agent list always looks different come March than it does in December.  There are still some receivers they can sign to help in the short term.  There are also trade possibilities.  

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Easy to say "money" but we all saw what happened with Kirk Cousins got offered a little more money by us than the Vikings...

Fact is, a lot of teams will have money.  They Jets don't have much of an offensive line, or frankly, much else besides a young QB with up side.

The Colts, who have more money, and are a rumored landing spot, are better at QB, and have an offensive line.

You'd probably be looking at outbidding another team by 3-4M per year to get him to come here.  Do you really want to do that?

this situation could evolve into the cousins situation again.  didn't bell already tweet negatively about the jets in the beginning of the season?  if money is close he goes elsewhere just like cousins.

4 minutes ago, King P said:

Once again when people say "draft a RB"

We have more pressing needs than RB, and those needs have to be addressed via the draft. Why would you want us to use a pick on a back and then that's 1 less pick we have for bigger needs.

Bell is better than any RB in the draft, and signing him eliminates using a pick on a back in the draft, so then we can use all our draft capital on our needs (Edge rusher, OL, WR).

all this plus they traded away the 2nd round pick for Darnold so they don't have that many picks anyway 

the rd 1 pick will probably be OLB edge ... and that's it in terms of instant impact... the rd 3 pick is probably OL, rd 4 and beyond are developmental guys (more oL, maybe some CB etc)

if/when they miss on Bell they probably go after another late rd HB like McGuire or Cannon 

Just now, bitonti said:

all this plus they traded away the 2nd round pick for Darnold so they don't have that many picks anyway 

the rd 1 pick will probably be OLB edge ... and that's it in terms of instant impact... the rd 3 pick is probably OL, rd 4 and beyond are developmental guys (more oL, maybe some CB etc)

if/when they miss on Bell they probably go after another late rd HB like McGuire or Cannon 

if they don't trade out of the #1 pick it's probably defense, with FA geared towards offense to soften that blow.  i agree OL with at least 1 of the 3rd round picks, hopefully wr or rb with the other.  

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

the Colts find Mid round guys like Mack and Jordan Watkins and have the confidence to find more guys like that

it's actually hard to find Bell landing spots. Maybe KC with this hunt stuff. Most teams can find these guys. The Jets have not only the cap room but the inability to find RBs cheap

Just now, Augustiniak said:

if they don't trade out of the #1 pick it's probably defense, with FA geared towards offense to soften that blow.  

looking at the FA list

if the Jets put on their big boy  shoes and went after Dee Ford or Clowney they actually could improve the defense through FA thats assuming these guys don't get franchised which is a big ask. 

the offense list are mostly role players and guys off of injury like Daryl Williams

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

i think the value play is to draft rbs, but that's not what i'm saying.  i'm predicting that mccagnan goes hard after bell b/c it's the easiest, fastest way to improve the offense.  

Beefing up the oline would be the fastest way to improve the offense (assuming Darnold progresses)

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Marlon Mack/Hines in year 2 and 3 on a rookie deal is preferable to Leveon Bell's max contract mandated with 20+ carries per, imo. 

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Marlon Mack/Hines in year 2 and 3 on a rookie deal is preferable to Leveon Bell's max contract mandated with 20+ carries per, imo. 

I don't want to sign him either - I'm just not sure why anyone thinks we can.  Besides money, which, we're not alone in having, we're an exceptionally unattractive destination for a veteran RB.

I think Bell is in for a rude awakening, if Mac (if he has the job) does not fold.

The risk is not that he gets paid alot of money, if he performs well.  If Bell is healthy, not suspended and repeats 2016, he could be worth ALOT of money to a Jets team that needs a WEAPON.  

The risk is that he gets paid and does a Trumaine Johnson.  That is where the parties have to come together here.  

On 12/14/2018 at 5:51 PM, rangerous said:

imo before they go after a guy like bell they need to make sure the oline is straightened out.  the draft is probably the best place to get a Lt and/or center.  and then fill it out with skill players.

agreed !.. a rb is not gonna be able to help us too much unless we have  OL to block for him    ?

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I don't want to sign him either - I'm just not sure why anyone thinks we can.  Besides money, which, we're not alone in having, we're an exceptionally unattractive destination for a veteran RB.

Forte, Crow and Powell all signed as veteran RB's. 

Im not a huge fan of Bell and I wonder if he will be as successful here without the line and weapons that he had around him in Pittsburgh.  Connor seems to have replaced him without much ado.   

I still remember when the Jets had Alexander Powell and Ward and it didnt matter who they put back there, they got 5 yds a carry.  Id make the O line the priority but if we have the cap room for Bell and no one else to spend it on, I guess id roll the dice and hope he stays healthy , motivated, happy, and un suspended.

When Cannon dropped that beautifully thrown ball on 3rd down I closed my eyes & envisioned Bell plucking that ball gracefully out of the air, jump stepping inside the tackler as he stiff armed him to the ground & galloped along the sideline like he was skating on ice. 

Then I watched us punt the ball away.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

When Cannon dropped that beautifully thrown ball on 3rd down I closed my eyes & envisioned Bell plucking that ball gracefully out of the air, jump stepping inside the tackler as he stiff armed him to the ground & galloped along the sideline like he was skating on ice. 

Then I watched us punt the ball away.

I pictured an unmotivated Bell bobbling the ball into the air for a pick 6 

Does the fact that James Conner came in and pretty much did everything Bell did without missing a beat give anyone pause about whether Bell is really as great as his numbera suggest?  Then Conner got hurt and Jaylen Samuels steps in and rushes for 150.  PIT reminds me of DEN in the early 2000s.  Every RB who gets a turn becomes a stud.  Davis, Portis, Gary, Anderson.  It didn't matter.  They all looked great.  But while Portis took his greatness to WAS, Gary and Anderson washed up when they left.  

I'm not saying Bell wasn't great in PIT, but I have reservations about his ability to do the same here (and hence be worth paying guaranteed mad money to for 5 years).

Archived