Miami to move on from Tannehill

Rhg1084

12 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I admit I haven't paid much attention to the dolphins this year but I thought he was having a good season. Wasn't he one of the better qbs in the nfl early this year?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

No he wasn't, some "experts' were overrating him b/c Miami was winning but they weren't winning b/c of him.  He's been a mediocre at best QB his entire career, Miami wasted most of this decade w/ him.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, nyjunc said:

No he wasn't, some "experts' were overrating him b/c Miami was winning but they weren't winning b/c of him.  He's been a mediocre at best QB his entire career, Miami wasted most of this decade w/ him.

Tannehill has always looked good on paper for some reason his statistics are good but on the field he sucks and loses

11 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

What’s interesting is that we will see more of these type of players move on to other teams. At least a few will pan out and surprise on their new team.

Things should be interesting for QBs in about 2 years. It’ll look very different between player movement, young QBs drafted from 2016-2020 and retirement of the long time starters/stars (Brady, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Manning).

Flacco, Winston, Tannehill, Bortles are all moving this offseason to new homes

11 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I don't know why, but I see Joe Flacco on the Giants next year.

That would be an upgrade for the giants.

9 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Sign this beast. 

In all seriousness tho... JK about signing him, but for all his flaws, you could argue that the Jets had more talent in the Tanny days than they have under Idzik and Macc

our current mess began when we foolishly fired Tannenbaum and replaced him w/ Idzik.  Mike was far from perfect but he built those title game teams and deserved a chance to rebuild after those teams got old and too expensive.  Unfortunately for him he was stuck w/ Tannehill in Miami.  he did help them end their playoff drought but banking on Tannehill is a recipe for disaster.

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Tannehill has always looked good on paper for some reason his statistics are good but on the field he sucks and loses

you are correct, his #s have always looked better than he actually is.  you can always tell who has watched him play and who has just looked at blind #s. 

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

I can see him going to Jacksonville. Think it could be a decent fit for him.

Bortles isn't very good but he's not why they sucked this year.  That D wasn't very good and they had a million injuries on offense.  a healthy Flacco could be a good fit there though.

10 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Sign this beast. 

In all seriousness tho... JK about signing him, but for all his flaws, you could argue that the Jets had more talent in the Tanny days than they have under Idzik and Macc

Make No mistake Mangini built those teams

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Bortles isn't very good but he's not why they sucked this year.  That D wasn't very good and they had a million injuries on offense.  a healthy Flacco could be a good fit there though.

Bortles wasn't why they sucked - but at the same time he couldn't do enough to offset the issues around them. And they've always played around him rather than through him, never trusting him to win them games (with good reason).

If they can get their D back up to scratch (or at least decent) and have a healthy year from Fournette, they'll go much further with a Flacco type of QB rather than Bortles.

10 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Sign this beast. 

At least under Tanny we saw the value in drafting OL high ... my biggest issue with Macc is that he almost seems allergic to drafting OL high, when it has been and still is a big area of need for us.

45 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you are correct, his #s have always looked better than he actually is.  you can always tell who has watched him play and who has just looked at blind #s. 

Bortles the first 3 years was the same way.  Good player on paper sucked in real life

I get that Tanny isn't the best QB, but if I were the Dolphins I'd keep him. The upcoming QB class is bad, and there are no free agent QB's that are especially good either. It's a hole they won't be able to patch up until at least 2020 so I'd wait until then to cut him loose.

2 hours ago, Grandy said:

I get that Tanny isn't the best QB, but if I were the Dolphins I'd keep him. The upcoming QB class is bad, and there are no free agent QB's that are especially good either. It's a hole they won't be able to patch up until at least 2020 so I'd wait until then to cut him loose.

my guess is that they will sign Bridgewater, depending on what they see this weekend from him when he starts instead of Brees.  His Saints deal was one year.

You could do worse but you could definitely do better. It's one of those situations where Tannehill could keep you at 8-8 with the occasional one-and-done playoff appearance, but he'll never be anything more than that. The dude is most definitely not winning a Superbowl.

He'll get another chance with another team. He's had success in this league. He can play. Is he a top QB? No. But he can play in the league.

There's actually going to be quite a few quality options available for a team like the Giants next year. Bridgewater, Foles, and Tannehill are all intriguing options for teams looking for a QB with a weak draft class at that position. Carr might be available via trade as well.

Giants don't usually bring in mediocre stopgaps.  When things go bad, they draft a new QB.

Exceptions might be Foles, who has had up-and-down regular seasons but now has shone brightly in two relief stints including a Super Bowl victory, and Carr, who is still young and has shown ability.  I don't see Tannehill going to the Giants.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He'll get another chance with another team. He's had success in this league. He can play. Is he a top QB? No. But he can play in the league.

There's actually going to be quite a few quality options available for a team like the Giants next year. Bridgewater, Foles, and Tannehill are all intriguing options for teams looking for a QB with a weak draft class at that position. Carr might be available via trade as well.

Broad definition of the word success

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Bridgewater is still largely an unknown but he will get most likely get a shot.  I'm not sure a team will bring him in as defacto starter though.

Foles (or Wentz?!) will get a starter role next year.

Tannehill is, IMO, less likely than Bridgewater to get a clear shot at a starter role.  Maybe a competitive situation or he may get a short deal with a team that is also drafting a QB to be a bridge.  I just don't see a team being willing to trust him with the keys based on his body of work.

If Carr is cut loose, he'll start but that just opens up a need in OAK so it's basically a wash.

So that's 2, at most 3 QBs that will move to new teams to maybe start.  There are anywhere from 3-5 teams that should recognize they need a new QB.  So when the carousel stops, you may have just 2 teams looking to draft a QB in the first round.  

Nobody's mentioned this, but the veteran QBs available this offseason. Foles, Carr, Flacco, Bridgewater, Tannehill, Bortles, Winston, maybe Mariotta and Mullens from SF, look a lot better then anyone coming out in the draft. If most of them are on the market, they will negate the need for anyone to trade for a better pick in this draft. Why pay a ransom for mediocrity, when the market is glutted?  

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody's mentioned this, but the veteran QBs available this offseason. Foles, Carr, Flacco, Bridgewater, Tannehill, Bortles, Winston, maybe Mariotta and Mullens from SF, look a lot better then anyone coming out in the draft. If most of them are on the market, they will negate the need for anyone to trade for a better pick in this draft. Why pay a ransom for mediocrity, when the market is glutted?  

Tbh 3-4 of those guys are as good or better than Kirk Cousins

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

Giants don't usually bring in mediocre stopgaps.  When things go bad, they draft a new QB.

Exceptions might be Foles, who has had up-and-down regular seasons but now has shone brightly in two relief stints including a Super Bowl victory, and Carr, who is still young and has shown ability.  I don't see Tannehill going to the Giants.

Foles has to play in a certain version of west coast otherwise he’s useless

41 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Broad definition of the word success

Enough success to get another chance somewhere to be the starter. He'd be a great backup.

He completes about 62% of his passes and has a solid TD-INT ratio. He's far from a star, but he can play.

If I was a team that needed a QB I would give him a look.

57 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Enough success to get another chance somewhere to be the starter. He'd be a great backup.

He completes about 62% of his passes and has a solid TD-INT ratio. He's far from a star, but he can play.

If I was a team that needed a QB I would give him a look.

He sucks.  He’s going to demand too much money to be a backup

Archived