Greg Williams relieved of his duties

choon328

34 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Hard to say - the only thing I know for sure is that a faction of Jets fans will continue to hate one of their best players regardless of what happens.

You don't even seem to know the meaning of the word hate....

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Bears just lost Fangio -- have the think they would be in play for Williams.

Talk about walking into a job where you can't do much better. "D" can only get worse after this last season.

I think they were ranked #1.

Williams goes to the Jets and he could continue to show what a miracle worker he is!! No where to go but UP!!!

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

but he yells alot and baby boomers respect how loud he can be 

Yelling a lot might be just what this underachieving D needs..  you dont think it was odd that absolutely no player have said they'll miss Kacy Rogers?  

Williams would be an interesting DC choice... He runs sort of a hybrid-46 defense/4-3 scheme, but with more moving parts... Articles about him talk about how his playbook is massive and filled with all sorts of audible flags and situational changes....

The LBs need to be really good at reading offenses to get guys into position. Definitely need a "coach on the field" type to keep the defense set right...

I think he's actually a smart coach who can gameplan well... But I get the feeling he rubs players, coaches, and the front office the wrong way everywhere he goes... I wouldn't let that stop the Jets from hiring him, but it's something to look at I suppose.

51 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

LOLLLLL

Williams has been relieved of his duty, but Kacy Rodgers still has his job. I know it is only until the new boss comes in but that to me is friggin hilarious

Kacy is working in Tampa now, defensive line coach.

10 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Williams would be an interesting DC choice... He runs sort of a hybrid-46 defense/4-3 scheme, but with more moving parts... Articles about him talk about how his playbook is massive and filled with all sorts of audible flags and situational changes....

The LBs need to be really good at reading offenses to get guys into position. Definitely need a "coach on the field" type to keep the defense set right...

I think he's actually a smart coach who can gameplan well... But I get the feeling he rubs players, coaches, and the front office the wrong way everywhere he goes... I wouldn't let that stop the Jets from hiring him, but it's something to look at I suppose.

That's my thinking.  Good coordinators don't get fired this often, especially if they're producing.  

Regardless, I have no issues if the HC wants him, done want any party of forced marriages.  

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Before we get a HC. 

And stick the HC with a DC.

It's why fans called Woody a cheap skate and meddler when they thought Shotty was forced on Rex.

I didn't say that. I just said they should bring him in to run the defense, especially if you're hiring an offensive HC. I never said to do it before they hire the HC.

9 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I didn't say that. I just said they should bring him in to run the defense, especially if you're hiring an offensive HC. I never said to do it before they hire the HC.

That's fine but until we get a HC it's premature, that's all

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Definitely. Nothing says trendsetter like 7 jobs in 11 years.

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

where did his D rank? If they were good I can care less how long he lasted there

Going back to 2004 (when Williams took the DC job in Washington), here's how Williams' defenses have ranked, from Football Outsiders:

Washington (2004-07)

• 2004:  # 4
  • 2005:  # 3
  • 2006:  # 32
  • 2007:  # 7

Jacksonville (2008)

• 2008:  # 24

New Orleans (2009-11)

• 2009:  # 23
  • 2010:  # 10
  • 2011:  # 25

St. Louis (2012)

• 2012:  # 8

Tennessee (2013)

• 2013:  # 21

St. Louis/LA (2014-16)

• 2014:  # 6
  • 2015:  # 11
  • 2016:  # 17

Cleveland (2017-18)

• 2017:  # 16
  • 2018:  # 20

Summary (15 years as DC)

• Top 10 finishes:  6x
  • Middle of the Pack (11-20):  4x
  • Outside of Top 20:  5

So, Mixed results.

Guess Baker Mayfield decided not to retain him.  Wouldn't be too concerned about the number of jobs.  Lost his job in "Bountygate",  had  two stints with the Rams, maybe didn't get along with Jeff Fisher, no  surprise there, but was brought back for an additional two years.  There's no reason to believe that he wouldn't have been retained by the Browns, but for the coaching change,  based on the performance of this years' defense.  Strong personality for sure, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

the jets should consider this guy for dc.  make him assistant hc, defense.  it wouldn't be the first time a hc had to coach with an already established staff.  rex had to do it with schitty.  and wasn't sutton mangini's dc?  and of course westoff was there for rex too.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Going back to 2004 (when Williams took the DC job in Washington), here's how Williams' defenses have ranked, from Football Outsiders:

Washington (2004-07)

• 2004:  # 4
  • 2005:  # 3
  • 2006:  # 32
  • 2007:  # 7

Jacksonville (2008)

• 2008:  # 24

New Orleans (2009-11)

• 2009:  # 23
  • 2010:  # 10
  • 2011:  # 25

St. Louis (2012)

• 2012:  # 8

Tennessee (2013)

• 2013:  # 21

St. Louis/LA (2014-16)

• 2014:  # 6
  • 2015:  # 11
  • 2016:  # 17

Cleveland (2017-18)

• 2017:  # 16
  • 2018:  # 20

Summary (15 years as DC)

• Top 10 finishes:  6x
  • Middle of the Pack (11-20):  4x
  • Outside of Top 20:  5

So, Mixed results.

yes but he doesn't have streaks of years in the bottom 20.  wasn't bowles/kacy in the bottom 20 4 years straight?

Archived