Adam Gase one step closer to getting his offensive coordinator back & Other "Nuggs"

Gas2No99

7 hours ago, slats said:

He worked with Jordan Palmer last year (along with Josh Allen and Rosh Rosen). People were impressed last year that he seemed to have cleaned up his "elongated motion," in the short period of time between the end of his college season and pro workouts. There were pre-draft concerns about fumbling that never developed, either. I imagine he could do worse. 

I mentioned a week or two ago that if Gase has one of these QB gurus he prefers that that would be a way to coach Sam by proxy until he could coach him in person. 

If it doesn’t happen already it makes sense for a team and coach to identify a QB mentor they really trust(or even a WR, RB, OL coach, any position for that matter) and ‘encourage’ their charges to work with them in the offseason. Assuming NFL rules would forbid team employees from contacting the players they could be hired as consultants. And if that falls foul of the regulations then just go down the TomBrady route and in a completely unrelated transaction pay a company that said QB guru may or may not be a shareholder in to provide stadium and concession hotdogs for $500K a year

8 hours ago, CTM said:

Not a great sign. Your offense wasnt good in Miami, bringing the hobbit here without interviewing others strongly suggests Gass hasn't learned anything in his 11 days of unemployment. Surprising ?

Loggains will basically have Mike Pettine's role from Rex's first year as HC.  It's Gase's show.  He needs an underling, not a true OC.  I doubt he'll have any major decision making power.  Rex eventually ceded play calling to Pettine in year 3, but Gase has made it clear he plans to call the plays as long as he's here.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not so much for me. 

So, this pair worked together in 2015 with 32 year old Jay Cutler, and 2018 with Ryan Tannehill and Brock Osweiller.

Not exactly a track record with proven tools at their disposal.

It certainly can fail. But, if Loggains fails, it will because Gase has failed, as it should be. And, with Gase being this important, he should go down with his people with him, so that there are no excuses.

I’m not necessarily agreeing with the pick but I understand Gases reason for it. He wants to run the offense. Loggains know his place with Gase and they are both comfortable with each other. If they brought in a JB Cooter or someone like that, which would be a plus, Gase and another OC might be butting heads as a strong OC would want more control of the offense. That’s my point. Their success together is not that great. Might be a problem but it’s definitely Gases Offense and if it fails, yes, it’s on Gase.

37 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Loggains will basically have Mike Pettine's role from Rex's first year as HC.  It's Gase's show.  He needs an underling, not a true OC.  I doubt he'll have any major decision making power.  Rex eventually ceded play calling to Pettine in year 3, but Gase has made it clear he plans to call the plays as long as he's here.

Right which is my point. He wasn't successful in Miami on offense so instead of some introspection and maybe bringing someone in who can challenge him a bit, he sticks with the status quo. This would suggest he believes his approach on offense wasn't at fault.

28 minutes ago, CTM said:

Right which is my point. He wasn't successful in Miami on offense so instead of some introspection and maybe bringing someone in who can challenge him a bit, he sticks with the status quo. This would suggest he believes his approach on offense wasn't at fault.

Or, he didn't have the players to run the offense he wanted to run. 

Systems aren't the reason teams necessarily succeed or fail. Players, largely are. 

Now, great coaches can adapt based on personnel and have successes. But, the largest component of this is talent.

To judge the Gase/Loggains team on one season in Miami that they were together, particularly with Ryan Tannehill and Blake Osweiller, is hardly a great measuring stick. 

10 hours ago, CTM said:

Not a great sign. Your offense wasnt good in Miami, bringing the hobbit here without interviewing others strongly suggests Gass hasn't learned anything in his 11 days of unemployment. Surprising ?

O in Miami was as good as you could make it with less than average QB play as we all know. Our new OC Loggains actually got cutler in the Bears at the time to have 21TDs and 11Ints and ~65% pass completion and ~93% QB rating. That is great for Cutler who was also at the end of his career when this occurred. This guy will be an extension of Gase (And Gase will call the plays) and Loggains has plenty of OC and QB coach experience, which is what we need. Lets see how he and Gase do with a real QB, which we seem to have and not some bum which is what these guys have all worked with in the past in Tannehill, Cutler, A$$whiler, etc. 

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Or, he didn't have the players to run the offense he wanted to run. 

Systems aren't the reason teams necessarily succeed or fail. Players, largely are. 

Now, great coaches can adapt based on personnel and have successes. But, the largest component of this is talent.

To judge the Gase/Loggains team on one season in Miami that they were together, particularly with Ryan Tannehill and Blake Osweiller, is hardly a great measuring stick. 

I think in most situations the players are more important than the system, so I completely agree with you overall. However, Gase failed in Miami, some of that blame is on him. Hiring the previous OC without so much as talking to anyone else (nothing's been reported) is concerning in that he might of walked from that job with the attitude that his failures were all due to injuries or Tannenhill or whatever he might think, none of which is conducive to him getting better at his job.

25 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

O in Miami was as good as you could make it with less than average QB play as we all know. Our new OC Loggains actually got cutler in the Bears at the time to have 21TDs and 11Ints and ~65% pass completion and ~93% QB rating. That is great for Cutler who was also at the end of his career when this occurred. This guy will be an extension of Gase (And Gase will call the plays) and Loggains has plenty of OC and QB coach experience, which is what we need. Lets see how he and Gase do with a real QB, which we seem to have and not some bum which is what these guys have all worked with in the past in Tannehill, Cutler, A$$whiler, etc. 

Finally. Someone who took the time to look and see who posted the numbers instead of the never ending scroll of "haters"  who reel off a litany of statistics without ever considering who generated them.  Thank you.

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

I think in most situations the players are more important than the system, so I completely agree with you overall. However, Gase failed in Miami, some of that blame is on him. Hiring the previous OC without so much as talking to anyone else (nothing's been reported) is concerning in that he might of walked from that job with the attitude that his failures were all due to injuries or Tannenhill or whatever he might think, none of which is conducive to him getting better at his job.

No jokes please... Question:  Do you dance better with your wife or some stranger you pick up that night in a bar?

This. Plus, if he still thinks the players sucked in Miami, he’s in for a rude awakening coming here.

SEARING NUGGETS:

Senior Bowl Buzz - Wednesday Evening | Draft Analyst

Williams_1.jpg?itok=5L_YIRG_

nfl's picture

Tony Pauline

Draft Analyst Writer

With live practice limited to very few on Wednesday, it was a good day to hang out at the players' hotel all day and draw in as much buzz as possible swirling around the Senior Bowl. Here’s the latest from Mobile.

- Look for the Dallas Cowboys to target a pass rusher in free agency or the upcoming draft. Besides the news today that potential free agent Demarcus Lawrence will need shoulder surgery, word at the combine is that the franchise has tired of Randy Gregory, who is in the final year of his contract. There is a belief here at the Senior Bowl that the Cowboys will try and put a package together to move up in the draft and get a pass rusher if they don’t get it figured out in free agency. - (GREAT for JETS!)

- Are analytics finished in scouting departments? The short answer is no, but they are having less of an impact in the final decisions when selecting players in the draft. I’m told that while owners love analytics, scouting staffs and general managers who come through the scouting ranks are starting to detest them. Owners, who are usually successful businessmen who rely on numbers, prefer analytics because of their business acumen. But scouts and even coaches I’ve spoken with since Shrine Game practices last week tell me analytics have little to do with Xs and Os as well, the work ethic and personality of players or the ability of prospects to fit a specific position. As told to me by one position coach, when the topic of analytics is brought up in war rooms as a reason to select a player, the response in their minds is, “Here we go again!”

- I’ve been pretty steadfast in saying I do not believe Jonah Williams will play left tackle at the next level and doesn’t deserve to be a top-15 pick, something I heard once again today from a trusted source. But to be fair and tell the complete story, multiple people have complimented Williams’ game preparation, ability to absorb game planning and overall work ethic. I’m told Williams is expected to be a great interview at the combine.

- The praise for James Madison cornerback Jimmy Moreland continues to roll in. This time it's from a competitor, as South Carolina wide receiver Deebo Samuel has told people Moreland is the best cornerback he’s faced all week.

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

- Are analytics finished in scouting departments? The short answer is no, but they are having less of an impact in the final decisions when selecting players in the draft. I’m told that while owners love analytics, scouting staffs and general managers who come through the scouting ranks are starting to detest them. Owners, who are usually successful businessmen who rely on numbers, prefer analytics because of their business acumen. But scouts and even coaches I’ve spoken with since Shrine Game practices last week tell me analytics have little to do with Xs and Os as well, the work ethic and personality of players or the ability of prospects to fit a specific position. As told to me by one position coach, when the topic of analytics is brought up in war rooms as a reason to select a player, the response in their minds is, “Here we go again!”

Shocking that makers and sellers of DVDs are anti streaming

On 1/23/2019 at 12:23 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

I think the "he's a glorified coffee boy" takes are ridiculous. He's the offensive coordinator. Regardless of the fact that Gase is de facto in charge of the offense Loggains is his right hand man and will be an integral part of coaching Sam and designing game-plans. Sometimes it seems like some of you guys believe coordinators are only responsible for calling plays.

I don't love the hire. It has nothing to do with perceived loyalty or whatnot but the reality is this guy has been an offensive coordinator for FIVE NFL seasons and has never fielded an above average offense. You can blame injuries and bad/rookie QBs all you want, and there's some merit to that. But the reality is there just isn't any objective evidence that this guy is actually good at the position we just hired him for.

There are people who describe him as "a brilliant offensive mind" in interviews but it's kind of tough to buy into that when there's no tangible evidence that it's true over a pretty decent sample size.

It's not a "take" when the words are coming directly from Gase's mouth. Yes, most other OC's have much more on their plate then calling plays, especially if they are paired with a Defensive HC but that won't be the case here. Gase already mentioned in one his stops in the press tour that he relies on the OC to "act as a sounding board" to bounce an idea off of if he is weighing a couple of different options. Gase won't even hire a QB coach because he doesn't want other words in the QB's ear. I don't see why it's so hard to take the man at his own word jsut because it's not what the "norm" is or what we are used to. 

On 1/23/2019 at 4:13 AM, jetstream23 said:

With all this talk of QB coaches I'm very, very curious as to how Darnold will be spending his Winter and Spring.  Several guys, particularly early in their careers go seek the advice of QB gurus who help evaluate major or even minor mechanical flaws and clean up some things before the QB heads back to camp with the team in early Summer.

This was notably the case with Carson Wentz who worked with Adam Dedeaux the summer after his rookie season, an experience that Wentz called very beneficial.

I have no idea what Darnold will be doing (if anything other than working out) but with the new CBA rules and limitations on how much contact coaches can have with players I wouldn't be surprised if Darnold looks for some outside help.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/01/meet_qb_guru_eagles_carson_wentz_will_work_with_th.html

As others mentioned, I imagine that Darnold will go back to Palmer in CA. I also found this tidbit in an article about the Giants potentially drafting Jarrett Stidham: Stidham will train for the draft in Dana Point, Calif., with Darnold and Josh Rosen of the Cardinals, calling them “great friends.’’ He checked in recently with Darnold, who shared his experience in his first season with the Jets.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/23/jarrett-stidham-wouldnt-mind-being-giants-version-of-sam-darnold/

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Cowboys will try and put a package together to move up in the draft and get a pass rusher if they don’t get it figured out in free agency. - (GREAT for JETS!)

Cowboys have no first round pick this year. 

He does, his name is Peyton Manning... If im Sam, I fly out to colorado and work with peyton for a month or so.. Not many qbs more qualified to give sam insight on the head coach, offense, and what it takes to play qb at a high level in general.  Hopefully this works out. 

Is this just speculation or have you heard anything that would insinuate this is actually possible?
I for one wound love for Sam to have the opportunity to spend some time with Peyton Manning!
Especially considering the Gase connection. Please tell me you’ve seen that somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Is this just speculation or have you heard anything that would insinuate this is actually possible?
I for one wound love for Sam to have the opportunity to spend some time with Peyton Manning!
Especially considering the Gase connection. Please tell me you’ve seen that somewhere.

During Gase's intro presser he was asked about Peyton putting in a good word for him and if he would have him talk with Sam. Gase said he liked Peyton to be around the players as much as possible because he tells it exactly like it is, even if it's tough to hear criticism...so there seemed to be a pretty good likelihood that he would be around at some point in the building

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

It's not a "take" when the words are coming directly from Gase's mouth. Yes, most other OC's have much more on their plate then calling plays, especially if they are paired with a Defensive HC but that won't be the case here. Gase already mentioned in one his stops in the press tour that he relies on the OC to "act as a sounding board" to bounce an idea off of if he is weighing a couple of different options. Gase won't even hire a QB coach because he doesn't want other words in the QB's ear. I don't see why it's so hard to take the man at his own word jsut because it's not what the "norm" is or what we are used to. 

Yes, "he's a coffee boy" is a "take." An incredibly stupid one at that.

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Pure speculation, sorry to get your hopes up. But I would hope that gase would ask manning if he could work with Sam during the offseason and help jump start the learning process. 

8 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

During Gase's intro presser he was asked about Peyton putting in a good word for him and if he would have him talk with Sam. Gase said he liked Peyton to be around the players as much as possible because he tells it exactly like it is, even if it's tough to hear criticism...so there seemed to be a pretty good likelihood that he would be around at some point in the building

It would be interesting to see Peyton around the Jets. He has snubbed us more than once and then threw absolute laser beams in the AFC championship game in 09 to beat us. 

Oh... And the Mark Sanchez led Jets beat him in his last game as a Colt in 2010.  We have an interesting history with that guy. 

Chicken Parm you taste so gooooood. 

Archived