Adam Gase one step closer to getting his offensive coordinator back & Other "Nuggs"

Gas2No99

Adam Gase one step closer to getting his offensive coordinator back

Adam Gase one step closer to getting his offensive coordinator back
Adam Gase

MOBILE, Ala. — Adam Gase looks as if he will finally get his man.

The Jets coach has wanted to bring Dowell Loggains with him from his Dolphins staff to be the new Jets offensive coordinator, but had been blocked by Miami. That is about to change. NFL Network reported Tuesday the Dolphins will not stop Loggains from interviewing for other jobs. A source said the Jets have put in a formal request to interview Loggains. That seems like a formality, though, and Loggains should be reunited with Gase soon.

The 38-year-old Loggains spent one year as Dolphins offensive coordinator under Gase. It will be Gase, not Loggains, calling the offensive plays for the Jets, but Loggains will have a critical role in the development of quarterback Sam Darnold.

Gase said last week he does not expect to hire a quarterbacks coach, so it will be Gase and Loggains working with the second-year quarterback every day.

Loggains served as Bears offensive coordinator in 2016-17 before joining Gase in Miami. He and Gase first worked together in 2015 in Chicago when Gase was the offensive coordinator and Loggains coached the quarterbacks.

Loggains served as the offensive coordinator of the Titans in 2012-13. He also has been the quarterbacks coach for the Titans (2010-11), Browns (2014) and Bears (2015). In Cleveland, he was known for being an advocate of drafting Johnny Manziel.:blink:

The Dolphins are expected to hire Patriots assistant coach Brian Flores as their new head coach, but can’t do that officially until after the Super Bowl. The delay in being able to hire Flores led to a delay in Gase being able to hire members of his Miami staff that were still under contract. Now, it appears the Dolphins are comfortable letting Loggains walk, though. Miami interviewed Loggains for its head-coaching opening earlier this month.

As for the rest of his coaching staff, Gase is working on finalizing that this week. A source said he will retain defensive backs coach Dennard Wilson, who spent two years on Todd Bowles’ staff with the Jets. Wilson drew interest from other teams, but the Jets wanted to keep him.

Gase hired defensive coordinator Gregg Williams last week and retained special teams coordinator Brant Boyer.

Gase did not travel to Mobile for the Senior Bowl, choosing instead to work on his coaching staff in New Jersey. General manager Mike Maccagnan and the personnel staff are here evaluating draft prospects.

Louisiana Tech DE Jaylon Ferguson, one of the top pass rushers at the Senior Bowl, said he was scheduled to meet with the Jets on Tuesday night.

With all this talk of QB coaches I'm very, very curious as to how Darnold will be spending his Winter and Spring.  Several guys, particularly early in their careers go seek the advice of QB gurus who help evaluate major or even minor mechanical flaws and clean up some things before the QB heads back to camp with the team in early Summer.

This was notably the case with Carson Wentz who worked with Adam Dedeaux the summer after his rookie season, an experience that Wentz called very beneficial.

I have no idea what Darnold will be doing (if anything other than working out) but with the new CBA rules and limitations on how much contact coaches can have with players I wouldn't be surprised if Darnold looks for some outside help.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/01/meet_qb_guru_eagles_carson_wentz_will_work_with_th.html

Meet the QB guru Eagles' Carson Wentz will work with this offseason

Updated Jan 25, 2017; Posted Jan 25, 2017

By Matt Lombardo

mlombardo@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz will train with quarterback guru Adam Dedeaux this offseason, according to Jeff McLane of The Philadelphia Inquirer

The Eagles want Wentz to improve his mechanics, even though he passed for 3,782 yards with 16 touchdowns and 14 interceptions while posting a 79.3 passer rating. 

Here's a look at five things you need to know about Dedeaux: 

1) Former minor league pitcher: A former left-handed pitcher, Dedeaux spent four seasons in the Los Angeles Dodgers farm system after graduating from USC. 

2) Marquee clients: Dedeaux recently took over for Tom House, also a former minor league pitcher, pitching coach and passing guru. Dedeaux previously worked with Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Carson Palmer and others to help improve their passing mechanics. Tim Tebow also trained with Dedeaux ahead of the former quarterback's brief stints with the New England Patriots and the Eagles. 

3) What Wentz will be working on: According to the official site for Dedeaux's company, Train3DQB, here is the type of program that has been designed for Wentz and other NFL quarterbacks: 

"Learn proven cross-specific training programs and exercises that will help athletes improve their game time performance, motion, and movement mechanics. Increase their upper-body strength, flexibility, power, and muscle endurance, while achieving maximum performance and minimizing risk of injury. More importantly, hone your ability to manage mental and emotional management of high level competition."

4) How Dedeaux helped Brees: The New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees addressed how Dedeaux and House helped him improve his game in his autobiography: 

"He didn't just deal with the physical; he worked on the whole person - the mental and emotional components as well. He tackled everything from sleep patterns and diet to attitude and awareness."

5) What Wentz is likely looking to improve: After starting the season with three straight games without an interception, Wentz threw 14 INTs over the final 13 weeks of his rookie season. In his time with Dedeaux, Wentz will likely focus on improving his footwork -- which is an issue Eagles head coach Doug Pederson addressed, dating back to OTAs last spring -- and remedying a hitch that developed in his throwing motion late in the year.  

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

With all this talk of QB coaches I'm very, very curious as to how Darnold will be spending his Winter and Spring.  Several guys, particularly early in their careers go seek the advice of QB gurus who help evaluate major or even minor mechanical flaws and clean up some things before the QB heads back to camp with the team in early Summer.

This was notably the case with Carson Wentz who worked with Adam Dedeaux the summer after his rookie season, an experience that Wentz called very beneficial.

I have no idea what Darnold will be doing (if anything other than working out) but with the new CBA rules and limitations on how much contact coaches can have with players I wouldn't be surprised if Darnold looks for some outside help.

He worked with Jordan Palmer last year (along with Josh Allen and Rosh Rosen). People were impressed last year that he seemed to have cleaned up his "elongated motion," in the short period of time between the end of his college season and pro workouts. There were pre-draft concerns about fumbling that never developed, either. I imagine he could do worse. 

I mentioned a week or two ago that if Gase has one of these QB gurus he prefers that that would be a way to coach Sam by proxy until he could coach him in person. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/01/meet_qb_guru_eagles_carson_wentz_will_work_with_th.html

Yea hopefully he goes to work with Tom House or he might go back to work with Jordan Palmer. I don’t have any worries about Sam NOT working on his game this offseason. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

He worked with Jordan Palmer last year (along with Josh Allen and Rosh Rosen). People were impressed last year that he seemed to have cleaned up his "elongated motion," in the short period of time between the end of his college season and pro workouts. There were pre-draft concerns about fumbling that never developed, either. I imagine he could do worse. 

I mentioned a week or two ago that if Gase has one of these QB gurus he prefers that that would be a way to coach Sam by proxy until he could coach him in person. 

He does, his name is Peyton Manning... If im Sam, I fly out to colorado and work with peyton for a month or so.. Not many qbs more qualified to give sam insight on the head coach, offense, and what it takes to play qb at a high level in general.  Hopefully this works out. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

He won't be calling plays.

That is not an excuse for bringing in an ineffective Offensive Coordinator just because of "comfort level".  That's what Bowles did with Kacy Rodgers, and that didn't work out too well. 

There are only 32 NFL OC positions on the planet.  It's too important to screw that up.  I get that we forced some coaches on Gase and thus he needs some of "his guys" in here too.  And I also know he wanted to get started quickly.  But again, those aren't good enough excuses to not even interview an alternative option. 

Loyalty has a place in the league, but this is an instance of loyalty going a bit too far.

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That is not an excuse for bringing in an ineffective Offensive Coordinator just because of "comfort level".  That's what Bowles did with Kacy Rodgers, and that didn't work out too well. 

There are only 32 NFL OC positions on the planet.  It's too important to screw that up.  I get that we forced some coaches on Gase and thus he needs some of "his guys" in here too.  And I also know he wanted to get started quickly.  But again, those aren't good enough excuses to not even interview an alternative option. 

Loyalty has a place in the league, but this is an instance of loyalty going a bit too far.

First, to call him a "coordinator" is a misnomer. He is more of an offensive assistant. 

The relationship between Bowles and Rodgers is not a comparative point. Directing offenses vs. directinfg defenses are 2 totally different things, and we are dealing with 4 completely different individuals. That is just lazy analysis.

To ascertain the true level of offensive success of Gase paired with assistant Loggains, from Miami results is not necessarily a fair comparison. They changed quarterbacks 10 times. They did not have Darnold.

While I respect an opinion that this may not work out, to say that definitively is a knee-jerk reaction in my estimation with incomplete data.

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

First, to call him a "coordinator" is a misnomer. He is more of an offensive assistant. 

The relationship between Bowles and Rodgers is not a comparative point. Directing offenses vs. directinfg defenses are 2 totally different things, and we are dealing with 4 completely different individuals. That is just lazy analysis.

To ascertain the true level of offensive success of Gase paired with assistant Loggains, from Miami results is not necessarily a fair comparison. They changed quarterbacks 10 times. They did not have Darnold.

While I respect an opinion that this may not work out, to say that definitively is a knee-jerk reaction in my estimation with incomplete data.

What has shortstack ever accomplished as an OC they gives you faith he’s not just another crony hire? I’ve looked at his resume and he comes up tiny in big spots.

25 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

What has shortstack ever accomplished as an OC they gives you faith he’s not just another crony hire? I’ve looked at his resume and he comes up tiny in big spots.

This is kind of like "what did Bill Bellichick ever accomplish as HC, before the Patriots hired him?". Not a lot.

But, he did actually do a bit better when Bernie Kosar was entrenched, and he has done fairly well with that Brady guy.

Point being, QB's make a difference. And that is what we need to hope with Darnold. 

Weird how game changing players seem to make better coaches.

9 minutes ago, kelly said:

If Jets hire Dowell Loggains, it won't be based on merit                https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/23/jets-offensive-coordinator-dowell-loggains-adam-gase-dolphins/ via @thejetswire 

Just post the Phucking article!?!?!? :roll:

If Jets hire Dowell Loggains, it won't be based on merit

usatsi_10901881-e1548198907193.jpg?w=100

Now that Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains has the freedom to speak with other teams, it’s almost certain that he will join his old friend Adam Gase on the Jets coaching staff.

Gase and Loggains have spent plenty of time working together dating back to 2015. When Gase was the offensive coordinator in Chicago, Loggains served as his quarterbacks coach. Last season, Gase was in need of an offensive coordinator and pegged Loggains as his man.

Tasked with building a coaching staff with the Jets, Gase will likely appoint Loggains as his offensive coordinator for the second consecutive season. A familiar face could ease Gase’s transition into his new job, as Loggains is someone he knows well. Loggains is also familiar with Gase’s scheme and knows how he wants his offense orchestrated.

If you take a look at Loggains’ past performances as an offensive coordinator, though, it’s evident that he should be nowhere near Sam Darnold and the rest of New York’s offense in 2019.

Before joining forces with Gase in Chicago, Loggains served as the Titans offensive coordinator under head coach Mike Munchak from 2012-13. In those two seasons, Tennessee missed the playoffs and the offense struggled to put points on the board. In 2012, the Titans averaged a mere 20.6 points per game and ranked 26th in yards per game with 313.1. Tennessee’s offense improved slightly in 2013 (22.6 points per game, 336.9 yards per game), but it was not enough for the Titans to achieve a winning record, as they finished the season 7-9.

Loggains then served as a quarterbacks coach for the Cleveland Browns in 2014 and, as previously mentioned, worked as the Bears’ quarterbacks coach in 2015 before resurfacing as an offensive coordinator in 2016. When Gase accepted his first head coaching job with the Dolphins, Loggains was promoted to offensive coordinator in Chicago and produced a mixed bag of results. That season, the Bears ranked 15th in yards per game with 356.5, but only averaged 17.4 points per game — good for 31st in the NFL.

Things got worse for Loggains in 2017, as Chicago had one of the worst offenses in the league with 287.4 yards per game (30th in the NFL) and 16.5 points per game (29th in the NFL). At season’s end, Loggains reunited with Gase in Miami as the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator, but the end result was not pretty and played a role in costing Gase his job.

Under Loggains watch, Miami had one of the worst offenses in the NFL, ranking 31st in yards per game with 289.9 and 26th in points per game with 19.9. The Dolphins did not get much out of Ryan Tannehill or Brock Osweiler throughout the season, but Loggains’ dink and dunk offense was destined to fail no matter who was under center for Miami.

Based on what is known about Gase, it’s clear he wants control over his offense. He will call the plays for the Jets and will work directly with Darnold in the hopes of taking the 21-year-old quarterback to the next level. Assuming Loggains is hired, he would be nothing more than a figurehead as offensive coordinator. He would have an influence on Darnold’s development and the rest of New York’s offense but would take a step back on gameday and essentially work as a glorified clipboard holder while Gase runs the show.

Given Loggains’ track record, it’s fair to ask why Gase would even want him having any influence on New York’s offense or Darnold’s development. He hasn’t succeeded in two stints as a coordinator and it’s safe to assume not much will change in his third. There are other candidates out there that should be considered for the job instead of Loggains.

In all likelihood, Loggains will be appointed as New York’s offensive coordinator sooner rather than later. Make no mistake about it, though. If Loggains did not have a pre-existing relationship with Gase, he wouldn’t even be considered for the job.

3 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Spot on

Not so much for me. 

So, this pair worked together in 2015 with 32 year old Jay Cutler, and 2018 with Ryan Tannehill and Brock Osweiller.

Not exactly a track record with proven tools at their disposal.

It certainly can fail. But, if Loggains fails, it will because Gase has failed, as it should be. And, with Gase being this important, he should go down with his people with him, so that there are no excuses.

4 hours ago, CTM said:

Not a great sign. Your offense wasnt good in Miami, bringing the hobbit here without interviewing others strongly suggests Gass hasn't learned anything in his 11 days of unemployment. Surprising ?

Disagree. He did say he learned how important a coaching staff was and learned not to rush that process. Loggains is just his glorified coffee guy, he won't call plays. He went out and hired Gregg Williams a well respected and vocal DC, kept Brant Boyer who was excellent for us, got a respected o-line coach from cinci, and kept denard wilson who worked with Gregg Williams and trumaine johnson in the past. This is actually shaping up to be an excellent coaching staff. I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Greene stays too although I would suspect Williams will bring his son Blake who was LB coach and then DC for williams in Cleveland. 

47 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Disagree. He did say he learned how important a coaching staff was and learned not to rush that process. Loggains is just his glorified coffee guy, he won't call plays. He went out and hired Gregg Williams a well respected and vocal DC, kept Brant Boyer who was excellent for us, got a respected o-line coach from cinci, and kept denard wilson who worked with Gregg Williams and trumaine johnson in the past. This is actually shaping up to be an excellent coaching staff. I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin Greene stays too although I would suspect Williams will bring his son Blake who was LB coach and then DC for williams in Cleveland. 

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets' special teams finished No. 1 in the NFL, based on the annual rankings of respected football journalist Rick "Ross not Ryan" Gosselin. To compile his ranking, he rates every team in 22 different categories. Gosselin has been doing it for 39 years. Under coordinator Brant Boyer, the Jets improved from 20th in 2017. It's no wonder a handful of teams tried to steal Boyer away from the Jets.

Blake will be brought on board as LBs coach, I did read that somewhere. Hopefully Greene stays as some form of a defensive assistant/staff. Though his coaching style, via his mandated media interviews, seems very mellow & calm which may not mesh w/the intense Williams & Gase; but it may also serve as a good counter-balance style and calm voice to the players in the defensive group? 

But YES, by far the best coaching staff since the 1998 Jets staff: Parcels, Henning, Muir, Belly, Weiss, Crennel, Haley, Mangini, even Carthon before he bombed out of the league. 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Is Sanchez still holding his 'Jets West' camp?  

I think the "he's a glorified coffee boy" takes are ridiculous. He's the offensive coordinator. Regardless of the fact that Gase is de facto in charge of the offense Loggains is his right hand man and will be an integral part of coaching Sam and designing game-plans. Sometimes it seems like some of you guys believe coordinators are only responsible for calling plays.

I don't love the hire. It has nothing to do with perceived loyalty or whatnot but the reality is this guy has been an offensive coordinator for FIVE NFL seasons and has never fielded an above average offense. You can blame injuries and bad/rookie QBs all you want, and there's some merit to that. But the reality is there just isn't any objective evidence that this guy is actually good at the position we just hired him for.

There are people who describe him as "a brilliant offensive mind" in interviews but it's kind of tough to buy into that when there's no tangible evidence that it's true over a pretty decent sample size.

Let"s be fair, here. Having  Quarterbacks the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jake Locker and the Immortal Brian Hoyer may have had something to do with producing less than stellar offensive statistics.  The fact that the Titans in 2012 had the worst defense in the NFL didn't help.  Further, Loggains wasn't the OC until nearly December.  In Chicago Gase/Loggains were part of a first year coaching staff that improved on the 2014 version.  Six of the ten games they lost were by less than a touchdown, and Cutler had the best QBR of his career and improved his TD/INT ratio dramatically. 2016 Loggains once again had "great" QB support with the aforementioned  Hoyer and Matt Barkley getting the bulk of the playing time.  2017 Featured  an offensive run by rookie Mitchell Trubisky, who as we know had limited college experience at a  small program before rocketing to the top of the draft.  The Cleveland Browns of 2014 had, you guessed it Brian Hoyer at the controls.  Are  you noticing a pattern here.  Bad rosters, Quarterbacks and Team records produce less than  stellar statistics. To suggest that Loggains was responsible, much less the defining factor in this stew of mediocrity is inaccurate and unfair.

Archived