Jets Players Run in Miami

CrazyCarl40

For Charity. Biggest news here is Marcus Maye is healthy enough to run a half marathon. And that I’m much faster than Buster Skrine and probably better at corner too.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a26052496/nfl-players-run-miami-half-marathon/

NFL Players Run Miami Half Marathon for Charity

They move quickly on the football field, but how did two, 300-pound linemen fare for 13.1 miles?

BY ANDREW DAWSON 

JAN 28, 2019

Sundays are typically reserved for football, but this past Sunday, five NFL players took on a different sport at the Miami Marathon.

Led by Buster Skrine, a cornerback for the New York Jets, the players ran the half marathon distance to raise money for the Boys and Girls Club of America’s New York and Atlanta chapters, according to the Miami Herald.

The group Skrine brought was almost entirely made up of fellow Jets, including defensive backs Marcus Maye and Terrence Brooks, and defensive ends Leonard Williams and Henry Anderson. The only non-Jets participant, defensive back Marcus Williams, plays for the Bears. 

Two of the five players weigh in at over 300 pounds, and while they are all used to short bursts of activity on the field, the half marathon distance required much longer use of their athleticism and endurance. 

I’m like, ‘Man, who would want to just run 26 miles?’” Skrine told the Miami Herald. “But I guess it’s like on a lot of people’s to-do list in their life. And you look it up, and people cry and stuff, just dealing with the accomplishment...I said, ‘I’m not going to go to that extreme and run 26, but we can do 13 miles.’”

On Sunday, the players—some who had trained, others who did not—took off and completed the race. Skrine, who prepared for the half, led the group, finishing with a time of 1:59:58.

The others were just happy to finish, especially Leonard Williams.

“Clearly, we thought it was crazy,” he told the paper after the race. “We’re 300 pounds. We never ran this much before. We do all short burst stuff and we’ve never trained for this before, but it was a fun challenge. We all wanted to do it as a team.”

Leonard Williams finished with Anderson, both clocking a 2:31:41, though Leonard did not run for an official time, as did Brooks. Marcus Williams rounded out the group with a 2:45:36. Leonard Williams said he learned a lot from the race. 

“What I learned is lose weight,” Leonard Williams said, “and do this again when I retire.”

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Are you calling him out EY? Because if your calling him out for a half marathon-off, he needs to know!

It’s amazing how different distance running is.  Maye is bigger, faster, stronger, and more coordinated than me by a multiple of who knows what - but the back half of my NYC marathon last year, which included 3 bridges and two stops to piss blood (thought I could hold my bladder for 4 hours - I was wrong and it was a huge mistake), was 20 minutes faster than Maye’s half, in Miami, which means likely had no elevation.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

It’s amazing how different distance running is.  Maye is bigger, faster, stronger, and more coordinated than me by a multiple of who knows what - but the back half of my NYC marathon last year, which included 3 bridges and two stops to piss blood (thought I could hold my bladder for 4 hours - I was wrong and it was a huge mistake), was 20 minutes faster than Maye’s half, in Miami, which means likely had no elevation.

This reads."I ain't scurd!"

29 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

South Beach might have had some distractions that slowed things down a bit.  You know...like:

miami-for-the-girls.jpg

34 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't know whether to be impressed or frustrated with these guys.  

I don't think there is a football purpose for a DL or S to run 13 miles.  

No? They don’t need endurance or lung capacity or a strong core or learning what it’s like to push through tired legs? Seems like it’s all relative. I mean, it’s not that different than these guys taking a yoga class or riding the bike at practice when they can’t participate. 

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m concerned that our DT was running a half marathon which seems like it may erode some of the skills he needs to be a successful DT.

This is the off season and not the old days when apposing players don’t interconnect. They often support each other’s causes. Not like he was jumping cars on a motorcycle.

Just now, Bocajetfan said:

This is the off season and not the old days when apposing players don’t interconnect. They often support each other’s causes. Not like he was jumping cars on a motorcycle.

I’m not like freaking out about it but isn’t it reasonable to want to see Williams getting bigger rather than running long distance? I know it’s a long way to football season but still.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I’m not like freaking out about it but isn’t it reasonable to want to see Williams getting bigger rather than running long distance? I know it’s a long way to football season but still.

This was a 1/2 marathon for a cause and from what I could tell his time was not a world class attempt. It was simply an appearance for a cause nothing more. Almost sure he can have as exhausting a work out in a weight room.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I don't know whether to be impressed or frustrated with these guys.  

I don't think there is a football purpose for a DL or S to run 13 miles.  

Other than aerobic benefits, health benefits, strength benefits?

And of course the downside to roadwork, for an athlete, is? 

Archived