Mike Maccagnan Appreciation Thread.

southtown24th

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottom line, at no point in time does one single FA period live in a vacuum.  That is not what builds a team.  Never in league history, for any team has it ever worked out that way.

It takes quite literally no talent at all for a GM with tons of cap space to say to a bunch of people "if come play for us, we'll give you more money than anyone else!"  Quite literally folks on this board could accomplish that feat.  Unfortunately, when that's the only thing you're any good at, you don't see any success from that.

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Except your argument is based on completely flawed logic that everyone should give Maccagnan the benefit of the doubt, assuming the moves made now will ultimately be successful, for no other reason than because you personally like them.  There is absolutely no evidence yet available to suggest that this supposed success will come true, and his entire history to date has shown quite the opposite to be the more likely outcome.  When someone's been fully incompetent for as long as Maccagnan has been, there is no reason to start giving praise long before it's actually shown to be deserved.

I’ve hated almost every move Maccagnan has made prior to this year (in a total reversal I love every move he has made so far this year), and I’ve been pretty much proven right due to the results of those moves.

But guess what, you really won’t be able to judge his moves as much as you’d like going forward...Why?

Because Darnold is going to be “THAT GOOD”...he is going to elevate everyone’s game...you’ll see.

3 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I’ve hated almost every move Maccagnan has made prior to this year (in a total reversal I love every move he has made so far this year), and I’ve been pretty much proven right due to the results of those moves.

But guess what, you really won’t be able to judge his moves as much as you’d like going forward...Why?

Because Darnold is going to be “THAT GOOD”...he is going to elevate everyone’s game...you’ll see.

You wouldn't get any complaints out of me for that.

I'd still simply prefer him to have the assistance of someone competent enough to give him proper support on the team.  The last thing we need is Darnold to be one of those guys who is ultimately great, but considered to have too much of his time and talent wasted because of the garbage surrounding him.

11 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Once again, your entire argument is blaming someone else for Maccagnan's failures.

And if you think me of all people doesn't use statistics, then you clearly lack any reading comprehension whatsoever.

So is it only the same argument or changing arguments?  You seem to be having quite the argument with yourself right here.

They have yet to prove they are worth their price, because they quite literally have not had an opportunity to.  Your assertion that they definitely are their huge price tags is without merit.  Meanwhile, every other high-cost FA signing Maccagnan has made prior to this offseason has proven to be over-priced.  You are entire argument is assuming that a 4 year trend will change, with nothing provided to support that conclusion.

So you assume nothing other than those things you immediately admit to assume?  That....... makes sense???

Those are your arguments.  Again you have not cited a single statistic or fact to support your position. .  You blather on about trends and "history".  Hypothesis are educated expectations based on facts.  I cited facts. You didn't raise one in any of the interactions in this thread. I am still waiting for "the statistics" that you "of all people" so commonly use.   Yet you think you're winning the argument.  You debate a point like a child.  Go play with someone else. 

6 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Those are your arguments.  Again you have not cited a single statistic or fact to support your position. .  You blather on about trends and "history".  Hypothesis are educated expectations based on facts.  I cited facts. You didn't raise one in any of the interactions in this thread. I am still waiting for "the statistics" that you "of all people" so commonly use.   Yet you think you're winning the argument.  You debate a point like a child.  Go play with someone else. 

Statistics for these newly signed players careers with the Jets don't yet exist, which is why your argument is baseless nonsense based on nothing but your own personal future predictions.  Your inability to grasp that concept doesn't change it.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Statistics for these newly signed players careers with the Jets don't yet exist, which is why your argument is baseless nonsense based on nothing but your own personal future predictions.  Your inability to grasp that concept doesn't change it.

So then, in your world, their careers, achievements,  and statistics don't exist prior to them playing for the New York Jets. Therefore, there can be no expectation or idea of how proficient  they will be in playing the game of football in New Jersey??  This is your logic??  Gotcha.

First, I have to give Mac credit for keeping all his information secret.  No one has a clue where his interests are and what is going on.  Complete opposite of previous regime.  Proper way to run an organization.   Secondly, also throw some credit to Heimerdinger,. He seems to be assisting / complimenting Mac pretty well

15 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

So then, in your world, their careers, achievements,  and statistics don't exist prior to them playing for the New York Jets. Therefore, there can be no expectation or idea of how proficient  they will be in playing the game of football in New Jersey??  This is your logic??  Gotcha.

A player doing well for another team will have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether they end up being worth tens of millions of dollars to the Jets.  The contracts previously given to the likes of Revis, Cromartie, Fitzpatrick, and every other big-money FA Maccagnan has signed prior to this offseason has proven exactly that repeatedly.

Your entire argument is based on ignoring the entire history of Maccagnan's failures because of how you are currently guessing it will work out differently this time.

Macc has gotten better, that's the most important thing. I'm really interested to see if Williams can get something out of Nickerson & Bones Jones and get Trumaine back on the train. No matter what happens, I think the Jets are drafting Bosa, or Quinnen Williams soon too. 

Bell, Mosely, Crowder, Bellamy & Anderson, Hewitt reupped so far. Damn! Plus the trade for OK. Plus we're not done yet. This is exactly what we were hoping for. 

57 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

^^

Assumes future production of new players based off their history, but won't allow past failures of Macc's to be used to predict the future of his moves.

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Let's be real here.  Maccagnan's BEST draft in his tenure was one in which he also took Nathan Shepherd in the 3rd round.

Draft well or GTFO.  Free agency is the ultimate c**k tease if we have another bad draft.

It's so sad that so many people have such short attention spans that they are easily distracted by the newest, shiny object.

5 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

You wouldn't get any complaints out of me for that.

I'd still simply prefer him to have the assistance of someone competent enough to give him proper support on the team.  The last thing we need is Darnold to be one of those guys who is ultimately great, but considered to have too much of his time and talent wasted because of the garbage surrounding him.

I agree, so would I, then again maybe some or even a lot of his authority has been busted down already, as someone thought the other day, but no beat writers dare ask the question.

I personally think think that with some more Upgrades to the Oline the Jet Offense is more than ready to go to war right now....and make the playoffs...this year.

Macc fans for last four years: “Good teams don’t make snap judgments on GMs or fire them after only a couple years. We need more data to properly evaluate him.” *takes sip of tea*

After Macc Signs Bell: “THIS MOVE PROVES MACC IS GOD! SUCK IT HATERZZZ! *Downs bottle of MD 20/20 and smashes it against their forehead*

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

I'll wait for the draft to judge. 

So far a mixed bag. 

Like crowder and osemle a lot, Moseley kind of a head scratcher 

This exactly. I’m only ok with Mosley because of our situation. I give Mac credit because besides mosely, we was able to get talent to come here for reasonable money. Yeah he missed out on Paradis but he’s done better this year than others in that regard.

I’ve set the bar EXTREMELY low this offseason to be satisfied with Mac’s performance and so far he has done pretty good. Draft is still what’s most important and what’s truly been plaguing us. 

I'll wait for the draft to judge. 
So far a mixed bag. 
Like crowder and osemle a lot, Moseley kind of a head scratcher 
I am pretty happy with Mosley to me he is our best signing. We gave him a lot of money but he has been a perennial probowler at a position many refer to as the qb of the defense. He will take the spot of Lee who is clearly a Bowles guy and playing out of position at ilb. Maybe it gives us a chance to get rid of Lee or maybe we use Lee on the edge and try to revive his career either way we clearly upgraded the position.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

^^

Assumes future production of new players based off their history, but won't allow past failures of Macc's to be used to predict the future of his moves.

I love it when historic data is leveraged only towards one agenda. It makes the world go ‘round.

Archived