Mike Maccagnan Appreciation Thread.

southtown24th

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see how long until this thread disappears.

12:09PM EST.

The guy has done a commendable job this offseason and I think the man has earned some credit through this process.  It's ok to give the guy a little praise.  Don't worry, it's safe in here!

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding. So far so good. Curious about the Paradis breakdown but otherwise he’s doing almost as well as he can given the situation. Deserves credit. Does not deserve forgiveness for the past. That would take time and draft success. Hopefully he can keep filling holes and being aggressive on all fronts. 

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Let's see how long until this thread disappears.

12:09PM EST.

The guy has done a commendable job this offseason and I think the man has earned some credit through this process.  It's ok to give the guy a little praise.  Don't worry, it's safe in here!

So why do you think he's done a "commendable job"?

Perhaps telling us why you think that is true, and why you (clearly) think JN is under-back-patting him might help?

And finally, isn't the "job" he did at least in the majority a ??? till the staff and team he assembles actually plays games?

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

mac is making obvious moves and he has the money to make big moves.  let him grab a couple of those 3rd and 4th rounders that play well enough to start right away.  then he'll get some praise.

That’s crucial. This and if he can somehow pull off a trade down. 2 areas that he hasn’t been good at that would make this offseason a home run. 

Win double digit games instead of losing double digits, and then he will get the benefit of the doubt.  As of now, he has not earned it yet; at least not in my mind.

I don't hate Macc --  I just want to win football games, something we have not done enough of in the past 3 seasons.

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Well he just spent $160 million dollars on an ILBer, RB and slot receiver.  Is that good? 

Who would you have spent the money on. If the Jets are in a 4-3 half the time, Mosley will be a key player on our defense. It's cool you have that view, but in a way Mac's dammed if he doe's, damned if he doesn't.

Yesterday they were whining here because an idiot made a deal and reneged on that deal, like Mac had anything to do with that in a negative way, or any control over what the player does.

Today Mac did what I think is an amazing job getting Bell for decent money, got a pro bowl LB'er, a couple of WR's, thus putting some legitimate NFL talent on offense for the first time in EONS and has actually made the NY Jets fairly relevant once again. With the departure of OBJ, we will be the focus of next NFL season in NYC.

Oh and to all of you crybabies from yesterday:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! 

21 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Well he just spent $160 million dollars on an ILBer, RB and slot receiver.  Is that good? 

Need to spend it anyway....... might as well spend it on a need. Still plenty left for other needs.

Needs to draft WAYYYY better moving forward. 7/10 ranking for FA and trade for OL

It is good that, on a move that he probably shouldn't have made, for a player no one else wanted to pay, that he didn't bid against himself and pay Bell any more money.

Then again, he paid CJ Mosley 85 million dollars to take a recent 1st round pick's job.

So, maybe we can pretend he paid Bell more, and Mosley less.

Crowder signing is solid. I won't knock that. Bell pickup is great. He's the one guy I definitely wanted.

What else has he done. Cj Mosley for 85 million is a massive overpay. Do you realize he will be making 5 million a year more than Luke keuckly. Insane. 

we are only 2 days into free agency. He still needs to sign an olineman, a cb, and someone like Justin Houston. Ill hold off on judgement for now. I'm not going to blow him because he signed leveon bell. Ill let you do that .This team has a lot of holes to fill. Let's see how he decides to spend the rest of this money

15 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

that's great

It’s great he spent $85 million dollars on a player because the guy he drafted in the first round just 3 years ago to play that position sucks so bad?  That’s a very different definition of great than I am used to.  

So far as I can tell this offseason has been comprised of having to overpay for non-premium positions because of his inability to find players at those positions in the draft. The Jets went into this offseason lacking at every single skill position excepting QB and they are still lacking those things. Bell, Crowder, and Mosley are fine players but this isn't how anyone else that's good seems to do things.

If he navigates a successful trade down from #3 and drafts well with a larger set of draft picks then I’ll be happier.  Last year was a smart trade up.  He needs a smart trade down this year IMO.  I’d honestly love to see the Jets go from #3 to somewhere around 7, 8, 9, 10 and find a way to snag a 2020 1st round pick rather than a 2nd this year.  At 7-10 we’re lined up for someone like OT Taylor.

Mac was a rookie GM... He hasn't done great.

But, like any rookie, the question is always "is he improving"... "Can he learn on the job and get better?" 

Think about it in your own life, maybe in a sport or hobby you started playing, or just in a new job... You may have been confused and struggling your first few months there, but as you picked things up you got better and became a real value for your company.

I think Mac has shown the same thing. I don't think he was ready to be a GM and it showed... But, I think he's learned some hard lessons and has improved drastically. He's learned and adapted.

I'm certainly not saying he's a genius. I'm not saying everything this year is perfect... Only that I do see improvement... And that's something. I truly don't believe he's the same caliber GM today as he was even a year or two ago. He's figuring things out... That's worth something. 

Archived