2014 The Draft that set up back 3 years!

32EBoozer

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

So does that mean you think Mike Maccagnan is the best thing since Todd Bowles?

I wasn't around on this board at the time but I'll wager a guess that he loved every pick at the time.

10 minutes ago, genot said:

And Goodson. Plays two games for us, then gets busted on drug and gun charges. Got busted with a lot of drugs.

Goodson was super fast. I wish he had stayed healthy so we can see a bit more of him. I remember when we got him someone posted that he was very good in Madden. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

So does that mean you think Mike Maccagnan is the best thing since Todd Bowles?

In addition to being the worst drafter of all time, Idzik was also a destroyer of culture and morale.

Macc has made mistakes but is so much better than Idzik in every way that mentioning them in the same breath is an insult to every Jet fan in the world.

Well, if it wasn't for Idzik, Maccagnan may not have had the ammunition to trade up for the selection used on Darnold.

Idzik traded Revis to the Buccaneers for their 2013 first round selection, and a conditional fourth round pick in 2014. Idzik used the Buccaneers' pick on Sheldon Richardson, whom Maccagnan later traded to the Seahawks for Kearse and the Seahawks' 2018 second round pick. Maccagnan later sent the Seahawks' selection, together with the Jets' first round and second round picks to the Colts, in exchange for the Colts' third overall selection in the 2018 draft.

But Idzik was a horrible GM.

5 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Goodson was super fast. I wish he had stayed healthy so we can see a bit more of him. I remember when we got him someone posted that he was very good in Madden. 

Good in Madden - or good AT Madden? ;-)  

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Just for kicks, let's go back and look at the three players picked after the Jets picked in 2014 to see what Idzik whiffed on, SHALL WE?

Rd 1:

18. Calvin Pryor--Bust, obv

19. JuWuan James--Bust

20. Brandin Cooks--Good player with a miserable catch percentage currently on his third team

21. Ha Ha Clinton Dix--Green Bay gladly let him walk. You'll recall Rex saying of the choice between HaHa and Pryor that he "picked the guy who will knock your head off."

Rd 2. 

49. Jace Amaro--Bust, obv

50. Jeremiah Attaochu--Journeyman backup who may till be on the Jets(?)

51. Ego Ferguson--Didn't last two seasons in the league

52. Troy Niklas-- Has been in the league for four years and has 19 receptions

Rd 3. 

80. Dexter McDougle--Miss, obv

81. Gabe Jackson--Very solid OL. 

82. Will Sutton--Out of the league

83. Louis Nix--Out of the league

Rd. 4

104. Jalen Saunders--Miss, obv. Dominating in Canada, however

105. Bryan Stork--Out of the league

106. Bruce Ellington--A decent #4 receiver/punt returner who's bounced around

107. Justin Ellis--Rotational interior DL on the Raiders

Rd. 4

115. Shaq Evans--Miss, obv

116. Keith McGill--Special teams player

117. Ka'Deem Carey--Out of the league

118. Martavis Bryant--The guy Jets fans screamed about for two years but they don't anymore because he's suspended for life

Other luminaries taken directly after the Jets picks:

138. Lorenzo Taliafero

139. Prince Shembo

140. Cameron Fleming

155. Arthur Lynch

156. Lamin Barrow

157. Shaquille Richardson

196. Walt Powell

197. Demetri Goodson

198. Garrett Scott

211. Jay Prosch

212. Marquis Flowers

214. Garrett Gilbert

215. Dan McCullers

216. Andre Hal

234. Terrence Fede

235. Shelby Harris

236. Jeff Janis

putting it in that perspective it was a very bad draft class, at least around where the jets picked.  it happens.  just like 1983 had 6 or 7 very good qb's coming out, 2014 had very little of anything.  and obj is a bit of a punk so it's not like he's such a special player.

John idzik destroyed us.  His sabotage of Rex and that disastrous 2014 draft led us to Todd Bowles and mostly 4 years of hell.  The good news is in the end it may actually help us sort of like post fake spike.  After the game spike we won we would win 4 games the rest of 1994, all of 95 and 96 and it would eventually lead to Parcells turning the franchise around (though he was terrible as a GM outside of a couple great FA signings).  The idzik era led us to this complete rebuild and getting Sam so that pain may be worth it in the long run.

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

John idzik destroyed us.  His sabotage of Rex and that disastrous 2014 draft

Rex was 8-8 and 6-10 in the two seasons prior to Idzik and was so toxic that the Jets literally couldn’t hire anyone but Idzik. Rex destroyed the Jets and sabotaged himself. 

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Figures. Drafts a scrub box safety and glass-made CB after trading away the best CB in the nfl and before batting a .083 in the 2014 draft. Also thought Geno Smith was an NFL QB.

Imagine how dumb you’d have to be to use a high pick on a box safety, a bad QB prospect, and an injury prone but athletic player. So glad those days are in the past

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Literally no one believes this happened, but I’m sure this is the story Rex likes to tell people 

I was so upset with that win in Miami for the sole reason I knew OBJ would be a Jet. Fans that believe last season wins mean anything in a new season don't pay attention to the NFL. Not only did we fall back in the draft but Rex was brought back. I think everything that happens is fate so the 2014 draft needed to happen for us to finally draft a franchise QB. So, thank you John Idzik, your 2014 draft was the impetus that has brought us to 2019 with Sam Darnold at QB. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine how dumb you’d have to be to use a high pick on a box safety, a bad QB prospect, and an injury prone but athletic player. So glad those days are in the past

Imagine believing that one is better than the other and defending that one 4 years later on an internet message board 

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Imagine believing that one is better than the other and defending that one 4 years later on an internet message board 

Indeed imagine it’s a worthwhile effort to argue that one draft class implicitly exonerates the abject failures of four subsequent draft classes. 

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It's actually breathtaking how shtty that draft was overall. The Raiders (Mack, Carr, Gabe Jackson), Rams (Donald, Lamarcus Joyner) and Cowboys (Zack Martin, Demarcus Lawrence, Anthony Hitchens) were the only teams that didn't trip over their own dicks

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/draft.htm

Oh, I don't know. IK had a pretty good right cross

Not defending Idzik at all, but the whole "12 picks" thing gets a bit overblown IMHO ... we had 2 extra 4th rounders and 3 extra 6th rounders.

Sure we should have done better, but it was the failures of the top picks that hurt us the most, not the fact that the 6th rounders didn't turn out to be all that good.

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Indeed imagine it’s a worthwhile effort to argue that one draft class implicitly exonerates the abject failures of four subsequent draft classes. 

Imagine believing that that’s what’s being argued here. 

Also imagine being so sensitive to call any draft an “abject failure” when it lands any franchise their best QB prospect in 40 years.

Here I’ll make it easier for you: that Mac’s tenure is almost a full on disaster doesn’t redeem Idzik. Idzik is the worst GM I’ve ever seen in the NFL. If it’ll help you feel better though, the current Arizona GM is shooting for his title. 

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Macaggnan sinks or swims with Darnold. Good god has he been awful, just as bad as Izdik, but if he hits on Darnold being successful and building an offense around him who cares about the last 4 years.

I'll go ahead and guess that most people will probably still carry a hate for Mac even if Darnold is successful, especially if his drafting and FA is suspect in the future. Jets could easily mismanage this situation sorta how Colts did with Luck before they hired Ballard and got Luck an Oline.

If the 2014 draft set the Jets back 3 years, what the **** happened in 2017 and 2018? Why aren't we dominating now? No draft sets a team back 3 years.  The Vikings traded their 1st and 2nd picks from 1990-1992, plus other picks and a bunch of solid players to the Cowboys for Herschel Walker. They still managed to win the division in '92 and '94 and made the playoffs in 1992, 1993, and 1994.  In fact, from 1992 to 2000, they only missed the playoffs once.  Yet, I am somehow supposed to sit here and mourn for my team and Mike Maccagnan that armed with full slates of draft picks and an unprecedented amount of cap space they couldn't make the playoffs for four years and now need another season to "fill their holes."  Man the **** up, put on your big boy pants and put together a roster. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Rex was 8-8 and 6-10 in the two seasons prior to Idzik and was so toxic that the Jets literally couldn’t hire anyone but Idzik. Rex destroyed the Jets and sabotaged himself. 

We had cap issues and were getting older, the fact that we can 14 games those 2 seasons with the talent we had was a miracle. Remember, 3 of our top 5 weapons on O entering 2011 were out of football in 2012.  In 2012 our Os main weapons were guys like Chaz schilens, Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates.  We lost the best player in franchise history for the season early, we lost our best O weapon early and yet the team still competed.  Let us also not forget that idzik wanted to fire Rex after 2013 but Rex went 8-8 with a rookie Geno Smith after we traded away the best player in franchise history.  

Firing tannenbaum started it, hiring idzik sped it up and destroyed the franchise.  The pieces are being put back together but it's taken far too long thanks to idzik.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Just for kicks, let's go back and look at the three players picked after the Jets picked in 2014 to see what Idzik whiffed on, SHALL WE?

Rd 1:

18. Calvin Pryor--Bust, obv

19. JuWuan James--Bust

20. Brandin Cooks--Good player with a miserable catch percentage currently on his third team

21. Ha Ha Clinton Dix--Green Bay gladly let him walk. You'll recall Rex saying of the choice between HaHa and Pryor that he "picked the guy who will knock your head off."

Rd 2. 

49. Jace Amaro--Bust, obv

50. Jeremiah Attaochu--Journeyman backup who may till be on the Jets(?)

51. Ego Ferguson--Didn't last two seasons in the league

52. Troy Niklas-- Has been in the league for four years and has 19 receptions

Rd 3. 

80. Dexter McDougle--Miss, obv

81. Gabe Jackson--Very solid OL. 

82. Will Sutton--Out of the league

83. Louis Nix--Out of the league

Rd. 4

104. Jalen Saunders--Miss, obv. Dominating in Canada, however

105. Bryan Stork--Out of the league

106. Bruce Ellington--A decent #4 receiver/punt returner who's bounced around

107. Justin Ellis--Rotational interior DL on the Raiders

Rd. 4

115. Shaq Evans--Miss, obv

116. Keith McGill--Special teams player

117. Ka'Deem Carey--Out of the league

118. Martavis Bryant--The guy Jets fans screamed about for two years but they don't anymore because he's suspended for life

Other luminaries taken directly after the Jets picks:

138. Lorenzo Taliafero

139. Prince Shembo

140. Cameron Fleming

155. Arthur Lynch

156. Lamin Barrow

157. Shaquille Richardson

196. Walt Powell

197. Demetri Goodson

198. Garrett Scott

211. Jay Prosch

212. Marquis Flowers

214. Garrett Gilbert

215. Dan McCullers

216. Andre Hal

234. Terrence Fede

235. Shelby Harris

236. Jeff Janis

If I was going to war for the Jets, I really don't think I'd choose to die on Idzik Hill. 

23 minutes ago, genot said:

I know. I doubt, it was meant in the literal sense. It was bad though. Banners flying all over. Fire Idzik,Fire Idzik. Headlines like that.

Jets fans: Manish Mehta is a troll and is the worst and I don't read his garbage!

Also Jets fans: We should hire a blimp to broadcast Manish Mehta's every word.

Also Jets fans, 6 years later: I cannot help but open my mouth and repeat the verbiage that Manish Mehta put in there it's like Inception

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

If the 2014 draft set the Jets back 3 years, what the **** happened in 2017 and 2018? Why aren't we dominating now? No draft sets a team back 3 years.  The Vikings traded their 1st and 2nd picks for 3 years, plus a bunch of solid players to the Cowboys from 1990-1992,and other picks for Herschel Walker. They still managed to win the division in '92 and '94 and made the playoffs in 1992, 1993, and 1994.  In fact, from 1992 to 2000, they only missed the playoffs once.  Yet, I am somehow supposed to sit here and mourn for my team and Mike Maccagnan that armed with full slates of draft picks and an unprecedented amount of cap space they couldn't make the playoffs for four years and now need another season to "fill their holes."  Man the **** up, put on your big boy pants and put together a roster. 

2017 and 2018 we had a modern day kotite as our HC.  With a competent HC we would have competed while rebuilding.  

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans: Manish Mehta is a troll and is the worst and I don't read his garbage!

Also Jets fans: We should hire a blimp to broadcast Manish Mehta's every word.

Also Jets fans, 6 years later: I cannot help but open my mouth and repeat the verbiage that Manish Mehta put in there it's like Inception

I agree with you about Manish. a grade A A....le. It was an embarrassing time for the Jet's, though. Total cluster f...

It's almost as if it's easier to get a couple of players that stay in the league when you consistently pick in the top 10 and get twice as many opportunities to do so.

Spoiler Alert: They're both bad.  Macc just had more resources and opportunities.

Archived