Burleson On Bell

KRL

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

Funny, I just watched this and was vcomign here to post it.  It's a really good video and Burleson is right. Bell is going to have the opportunity to help shape this team with Sam and Gase. We have a truly legit elite offensive weapon for the first time in a decade.  Man is this season gonna be fun. 

If we can pull it together early we just might be playing meaningful football in December. I forget what that's even like. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

If we can pull it together early we just might be playing meaningful football in December. I forget what that's even like. 

Rumor has it some teams play in January and even in February, but like the Chupacabra, it's just a rumor...?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Did Conner and bell make that line look better...i think so... We will find out

He plays a little bit of Mary's hiding and then takes off. It will be interesting to see if he makes our OL look better, or not. This O has to move the chains on  a more consistent basis I do know that much.

12 minutes ago, fings1 said:

Rumor has it some teams play in January and even in February, but like the Chupacabra, it's just a rumor...?

not if the games are meaningless in December they don't.  Aaaaannnnnnnd back to my original point.  :) 

31 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Funny, I just watched this and was vcomign here to post it.  It's a really good video and Burleson is right. Bell is going to have the opportunity to help shape this team with Sam and Gase. We have a truly legit elite offensive weapon for the first time in a decade.  Man is this season gonna be fun. 

Usually involves a lot of moaning about how badly our draft position is affected. :P

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

Thanks for posting.  I was actually going to say something along the lines of, I think people forget how good this dude is, in the "Bell has arrived" thread.  But typical of Jets fans, that thread didnt go past 1 page.  The threads about him not showing?  5-6 at least.  shocker.  Jets fans are basically high school cheerleaders.

Bell is amazing.  He's so fun to watch.  He's incredible.  Legit, best skill player to put on Jets jersey in his prime potentially ever. 

Are you saying he is better than Stephen Hill or Jace Amaro?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

Thanks for posting.  I was actually going to say something along the lines of, I think people forget how good this dude is, in the "Bell has arrived" thread.  But typical of Jets fans, that thread didnt go past 1 page.  The threads about him not showing?  5-6 at least.  shocker.  Jets fans are basically high school cheerleaders.

Bell is amazing.  He's so fun to watch.  He's incredible.  Legit, best skill player to put on Jets jersey in his prime potentially ever. 

Totally agree about Bell’s talent and what he is capable of doing.  My concern for THIS team is IF there is enough around him to allow him to do his thing.  Right now I would have to imagine that stopping Bell would be priority number 1 for an opposing defensive coordinator?  Is the supporting cast good enough to make a defense pay for over committing to stopping Bell?   We’ll see what happens, but I still think this offense needs another draft and a free agent season to infuse some more talent around Bell and Darnold to become a legit playoff team.  

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Did Conner and bell make that line look better...i think so... We will find out

I don't watch Steelers film TBH, but I think sometimes this is true.  Look at the Giants last year:  Eli Manning sucks because he has a horrible offensive line, but Saquon has a great year???  so which is it?  is the line really that bad, so it effects Eli?  Or is Eli just God awful, and their fans use the line as an excuse?  can't have it both ways?

Our line SHOULD be better this year.  Just gotta hope all the new pieces, including coaching staff, gel together nicely!

3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I don't watch Steelers film TBH, but I think sometimes this is true.  Look at the Giants last year:  Eli Manning sucks because he has a horrible offensive line, but Saquon has a great year???  so which is it?  is the line really that bad, so it effects Eli?  Or is Eli just God awful, and their fans use the line as an excuse?  can't have it both ways?

Our line SHOULD be better this year.  Just gotta hope all the new pieces, including coaching staff, gel together nicely!

Giants offensive line started out horribly last year and got better 

Our OL was nowhere near as bad as some posters are making it out to be.  Could it be better? Yes Could Mac have been more agressive going after Paradis and Brown?  Yes but I don’t think our season is doomed I’m more concerned about our receivers and secondary

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Not just OL he also had the best WR in football and a top 3 QB stretching out defenses

That is a valid point when evaluating a player who has only played for one team. That is what makes Bell such an intriguing free agent. My opinion is more with Burleson, I think he is going to have a really strong year for the Jets.

Bell is just so difficult to game plan against  in the passing game considering you are not going to put a corner on him. 

Last year Crowell/Cannon/McGuire combined for 37 receptions for 489 yards in Bates system. 17 receptions for 161 yards were in Darnold's last 4 games which helped increase his QB rating/completion %

I wouldn't be surprised if Gase's system get's Bell almost double the numbers. A dual back like Bell is going to have such a positive effect on Darnold's numbers/development next year, that alone proves Bell's worth.

Next year put a top offensive line around him like the Steelers and he should be a solid workhorse.  

45 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Totally agree about Bell’s talent and what he is capable of doing.  My concern for THIS team is IF there is enough around him to allow him to do his thing.  Right now I would have to imagine that stopping Bell would be priority number 1 for an opposing defensive coordinator?  Is the supporting cast good enough to make a defense pay for over committing to stopping Bell?   We’ll see what happens, but I still think this offense needs another draft and a free agent season to infuse some more talent around Bell and Darnold to become a legit playoff team.  

I do think this team has enough to let Bell do his thing.  The short area quickness of Crowder, is going to let them run those similar crossing routes the Steelers ran for catch and run opportunities and Anderson is a legit deep threat in this league.  Couple that with Q's and Herndon's ability to work the middle of the field, yes, I think Bell is in a great situation to take advantage of his versatility.

Look at it this way; check out how Gase used Kenyan Drake.  Look at how little they had around him and the QB's deficiencies.  Now eventually Gase went Gase and put Drake in the dog house but prior to Drake acting up in practice and Gase alienating him consequently, Drake was balling out of control in a similar role to how I assume Gase utilizes Bell. 

The only worry I have is Gase going Gase on him at some point.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

That is a valid point when evaluating a player who has only played for one team. That is what makes Bell such an intriguing free agent. My opinion is more with Burleson, I think he is going to have a really strong year for the Jets.

Bell is just so difficult to game plan against  in the passing game considering you are not going to put a corner on him. 

Last year Crowell/Cannon/McGuire combined for 37 receptions for 489 yards in Bates system. 17 receptions for 161 yards were in Darnold's last 4 games which helped increase his QB rating/completion %

I wouldn't be surprised if Gase's system get's Bell almost double the numbers. A dual back like Bell is going to have such a positive effect on Darnold's numbers/development next year, that alone proves Bell's worth.

Next year put a top offensive line around him like the Steelers and he should be a solid workhorse.  

Look I think as long as Bell plays the game and avoids pissing off Gase he can get 2,000 total yards next season

If Bell does his diva sh-t all bets are off

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Bell had a top rate OL in Pittsburgh. Jets TBD.

Yup  , A solid OL is the key to a great running game. Look at those years in Denver with that OL where it seemed any RB they put in there would gain 1,000. yds.

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Look I think as long as Bell plays the game and avoids pissing off Gase he can get 2,000 total yards next season

If Bell does his diva sh-t all bets are off

I am not sure how much a a diva Bell is. 

He is not the first player to do other things celebrity like other than football during his off season. 

The holdout?

At the time, Bell was the best dual back in the league, he took a shot in negotiations for a bigger contract by gaining leverage with a hold out. During the hold out, the Steelers called his bluff after what they thought was a good contract offer for a running back. Bell admits in a interview regarding this, that he too was surprised he held out through the whole year. He stats he was contemplating coming back weeks 4 through 6,  but with nothing resolved contract wise, he pushed the hold out to free agency, knowing he had an out. 

I don't really look into it too much other than that. I know a lot of people believe its team code to play, and I completely understand that outlook, but if Bell preforms well these next couple of years avoiding injury and contributes to an offense who desperately needs help getting to the playoffs, then NY won't label him a diva, sh*t, he probably will get a top 100 hit song. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

I am not sure how much a a diva Bell is. 

He is not the first player to do other things celebrity like other than football during his off season. 

The holdout?

At the time, Bell was the best dual back in the league, he took a shot in negotiations for a bigger contract by gaining leverage with a hold out. During the hold out, the Steelers called his bluff after what they thought was a good contract offer for a running back. Bell admits in a interview regarding this, that he too was surprised he held out through the whole year. He stats he was contemplating coming back weeks 4 through 6,  but with nothing resolved contract wise, he pushed the hold out to free agency, knowing he had an out. 

I don't really look into it too much other than that. I know a lot of people believe its team code to play, and I completely understand that outlook, but if Bell preforms well these next couple of years avoiding injury and contributes to an offense who desperately needs help getting to the playoffs, then NY won't label him a diva, sh*t, he probably will get a top 100 hit song. 

Yeah I always looked at him more like a Revis than a Brown.  give him his $$$ and he'll be fine.  but every couple of years you just hate him and his BS!!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I do think this team has enough to let Bell do his thing.  The short area quickness of Crowder, is going to let them run those similar crossing routes the Steelers ran for catch and run opportunities and Anderson is a legit deep threat in this league.  Couple that with Q's and Herndon's ability to work the middle of the field, yes, I think Bell is in a great situation to take advantage of his versatility.

Look at it this way; check out how Gase used Kenyan Drake.  Look at how little they had around him and the QB's deficiencies.  Now eventually Gase went Gase and put Drake in the dog house but prior to Drake acting up in practice and Gase alienating him consequently, Drake was balling out of control in a similar role to how I assume Gase utilizes Bell. 

The only worry I have is Gase going Gase on him at some point.  

My biggest concern about Bell is his motivation. Holding out for the year suggests that one of his main motivations is money, and he lost a lot of it by missing the year. And the Jets gave him less than Pittsburgh was offering. I'm hoping he has a chip on his shoulder to prove he's worth not just what the Jets are paying him, but what he thought he was gonna get paid. 

I agree that the Jets are fine in the weaponry department. That changes with an injury in their WR corps, but if they can stay generally healthy, they're fine. If teams try to overcompensate to stop Bell -stuffing the box or putting a CB on him in the passing game- that's gonna leave someone else open somewhere. I don't wanna see much in the way of the run-option, but is any defender even gonna be looking at Darnold running the ball when it looks as if he's about to hand it to Bell? 

Last is that the OL is still something of a question mark. I think Darnold and Bell can both help to make the OL look better. I think Darnold did make the OL look better down the stretch when his main RB was Eli McGuire and he was throwing to Deontay Burnett.. I don't know if Bell can make those same sorts of hesitation moves here, but I imagine we'll find out. 

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Yup, biggest "concern" when it comes to Bell is can he do it with a lesser O-line and no spectacular #1 WR taking pressure off him.

That and his motivation/physical shape.

Again tho, no cause to worry till we have some cause.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yup, biggest "concern" when it comes to Bell is can he do it with a lesser O-line and no spectacular #1 WR taking pressure off him.

That and his motivation/physical shape.

Again tho, no cause to worry till we have some cause.  

I'm a still subscriber that football is won in the trenches. I have been concerned about the OL since Faneca retired.

14 minutes ago, slats said:

My biggest concern about Bell is his motivation. Holding out for the year suggests that one of his main motivations is money, and he lost a lot of it by missing the year. And the Jets gave him less than Pittsburgh was offering. I'm hoping he has a chip on his shoulder to prove he's worth not just what the Jets are paying him, but what he thought he was gonna get paid. 

I agree that the Jets are fine in the weaponry department. That changes with an injury in their WR corps, but if they can stay generally healthy, they're fine. If teams try to overcompensate to stop Bell -stuffing the box or putting a CB on him in the passing game- that's gonna leave someone else open somewhere. I don't wanna see much in the way of the run-option, but is any defender even gonna be looking at Darnold running the ball when it looks as if he's about to hand it to Bell? 

Last is that the OL is still something of a question mark. I think Darnold and Bell can both help to make the OL look better. I think Darnold did make the OL look better down the stretch when his main RB was Eli McGuire and he was throwing to Deontay Burnett.. I don't know if Bell can make those same sorts of hesitation moves here, but I imagine we'll find out. 

I think the contract is designed favorably.  If he wants to realize it's full value, he better be motivated to see the 2nd half of it.  That said, I'm not concerned about his motivation.  If you've seen any of his offseason workout videos, he's grinding.  An unmotivated player wouldnt be putting himself through 5 hours of training 5 days a week just to look good in a uniform.  I think he does have a chip on his shoulder and wants to make a point.  And lets be very honest here, most peoples main motivation is money, why should a Football player be different? 

I think the OL will be fine.  Osemele is a huge upgrade and brings a nastiness with him that can be infectious.  I think Tom Compton gives you some solid depth too.  But most importantly, if Sam makes a big leap, so will the OL.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think the contract is designed favorably.  If he wants to realize it's full value, he better be motivated to see the 2nd half of it.  That said, I'm not concerned about his motivation.  If you've seen any of his offseason workout videos, he's grinding.  An unmotivated player wouldnt be putting himself through 5 hours of training 5 days a week just to look good in a uniform.  I think he does have a chip on his shoulder and wants to make a point.  And lets be very honest here, most peoples main motivation is money, why should a Football player be different? 

I think the OL will be fine.  Osemele is a huge upgrade and brings a nastiness with him that can be infectious.  I think Tom Compton gives you some solid depth too.  But most importantly, if Sam makes a big leap, so will the OL.

Only in sports do we assign some weird sense of nobility to not wanting more money.

In any other profession you'd be considered a sucker.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Klecko73isGod said:

Only in sports do we assign some weird sense of nobility to not wanting more money.

In any other profession you'd be considered a sucker.

Because only in Sports do non-parties to the contract (i.e. fans) have a vested rooting interest in one side, in this case, the Organization's side, and outcome.

The best thing for a player is to make the most money possible.

The best thing for the fans is to pay them as little as possible so we can afford more stars!

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

What does his 70-80 catches have to do with a good O-line if anything that number increases with a bad O-line (which shhhhhh don’t tell anyone, but every team has a bad O-line except occasional perfect storm seasons with no injuries and all guys returning like the 2015 Cowboys who have not been great at O-line since good not great).  

Then maybe look at it from the other side a guy like Bell with his one of a kind patience that I’ve never seen work so effectively picks up yards on plays that otherwise would not have if Bell was like 99% of other RB’s who see play is blown up fall into pile for no gain at best some guys try to reverse field and loose yards, nope not Bell he waits for the chaos to clear while somehow standing still while also dancing like Fred Astaire able to avoid free defenders then sees daylight grabs 3-10+ yards instead of -5-0 yards.

In all reality though it’s gonna come down to the Gase, Darnold, and Bell relationship those 3 HAVE to be on the same page, and understand they are the 3 most important people on this team, and fans, ownership and even some in the league expect to see Sam, Bell, and Gase be able to be an offense who when they get the ball trailing by a score or less or tied will and should more often then not get the job done just from those 3 people alone.

6 months from now the way us fans look at the Jets will change, Darnold establishes himself as an elite QB us fans don’t need worry about football from Febytill August, and it will be glorious.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

And lets be very honest here, most peoples main motivation is money, why should a Football player be different? 

I never begrudge any player doing all he can to make the most money he can. You know this, as we were on different sides of this issue with Revis, with the difference being that Revis was good at getting his money. I didn't want the Jets to cave to Fitzpatrick, but never had a problem with him leveraging everything he had to make as much as he could. 

The difference here is that Bell's holdout cost him a lot of money. Probably north of $20M all told. That's gotta be nearly as big a hit to the ego as it is to the bank account, if not more. So I hope he's pissed off and motivated, not disgruntled and less than motivated. I agree, the workout videos are impressive. 

But a comparison of the contract he turned down to the one he accepted...

Ed Bouchette: Le'Veon Bell's contract with Jets even worse than it first looked

Photo of Ed Bouchette
ED BOUCHETTE
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MAR 14, 2019

3:50 PM

Le’Veon Bell vowed to reset the NFL’s running back market in 2019 after refusing to play for the Steelers in 2018, and he did just that.

He set it back.

The details of Bell’s four-year, $52.5 million contract with the New York Jets have been reported, and it’s even worse than it first looked.

Bell will earn $26 million in the first two years of the contract, $25 million of it guaranteed, according to NFL Network. There is no other guaranteed money in his deal. 

The five-year, $70 million deal the Steelers offered him last summer that he turned down included $33 million in the first two years, $20.5 million of that guaranteed in the first year, as reported by CBS’ Jason LaCanfora.

Thus, Bell may have set another NFL precedent – the first player in history to hold out an entire season for less money.

The Jets reportedly were the only ones bidding on Bell, and he had nowhere else to turn when he accepted their deal Monday night. It is far below the annual $17 million he once predicted he would get and not even close to the virtual guarantees he would have received from the Steelers.

NFL Network reported that Bell received only an $8 million signing bonus from the Jets with a total take of just $14.5 million in the first year. Had he accepted the Steelers’ offer, he would have earned more than double that by the end of 2019.

Bell also lost a full year of his NFL career. The Steelers play at the New York Jets this year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I never begrudge any player doing all he can to make the most money he can. You know this, as we were on different sides of this issue with Revis, with the difference being that Revis was good at getting his money. I didn't want the Jets to cave to Fitzpatrick, but never had a problem with him leveraging everything he had to make as much as he could. 

The difference here is that Bell's holdout cost him a lot of money. Probably north of $20M all told. That's gotta be nearly as big a hit to the ego as it is to the bank account, if not more. So I hope he's pissed off and motivated, not disgruntled and less than motivated. I agree, the workout videos are impressive. 

But a comparison of the contract he turned down to the one he accepted...

Ed Bouchette: Le'Veon Bell's contract with Jets even worse than it first looked

Photo of Ed Bouchette
ED BOUCHETTE
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MAR 14, 2019

3:50 PM

Le’Veon Bell vowed to reset the NFL’s running back market in 2019 after refusing to play for the Steelers in 2018, and he did just that.

He set it back.

The details of Bell’s four-year, $52.5 million contract with the New York Jets have been reported, and it’s even worse than it first looked.

Bell will earn $26 million in the first two years of the contract, $25 million of it guaranteed, according to NFL Network. There is no other guaranteed money in his deal. 

The five-year, $70 million deal the Steelers offered him last summer that he turned down included $33 million in the first two years, $20.5 million of that guaranteed in the first year, as reported by CBS’ Jason LaCanfora.

Thus, Bell may have set another NFL precedent – the first player in history to hold out an entire season for less money.

The Jets reportedly were the only ones bidding on Bell, and he had nowhere else to turn when he accepted their deal Monday night. It is far below the annual $17 million he once predicted he would get and not even close to the virtual guarantees he would have received from the Steelers.

NFL Network reported that Bell received only an $8 million signing bonus from the Jets with a total take of just $14.5 million in the first year. Had he accepted the Steelers’ offer, he would have earned more than double that by the end of 2019.

Bell also lost a full year of his NFL career. The Steelers play at the New York Jets this year.

This story omitted the exclusive contract Lev Bell’s THC oil, I mean CBD oil company, and music label signed with the Jets that is considered “off the field business” no salary cap hit ?