A Jalen Ramsey trade could shift the balance of power for the entire league. Then he could reset the CB market.

Personally I think this would be huge and make our defense elite on paper. Imagine pairing him with Jamal Adams and company. The amount of trash talk that would be backed up is fit for Rex Ryan days. 

I know that the huge con here is investing that much into one position, at least it's one of the hardest position to draft for. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842509-the-nfls-10-most-important-players-entering-2019?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league

8d5647487950e17c239c873977a13f18_crop_exact.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

Ramsey may be the NFL's best cornerback. He's due for a massive contract extension soon, and he plays for a team whose defense nearly dragged it to the Super Bowl in 2017. But the Jaguars seem to have soured on Ramsey, and their salary-cap situation for 2019 and 2020 looks like some deranged practical joke. So Ramsey could help new Jaguars quarterback Nick Foles work his magic and spark a quick Jaguars rebound, or he could be traded tomorrow, perhaps to a contender.

Think of the intriguing teams with money to burn right now (Raiders, Browns, Colts) and the contenders who always manage to wedge whatever they want into the budget somehow (Patriots, Patriots, Eagles, Patriots): A Ramsey trade could shift the balance of power for the whole league, assuming he doesn't stay put and turn the AFC South into a photo finish.

Ramsey's dispute with the Jaguars could also topple the Tom Coughlin/Doug Marrone regime, signaling the end of an era for old-school drill-sergeant executives like Coughlin. And the contract extension he eventually signs with someone will almost certainly reset the market for both cornerbacks and top-tier defenders.

Nearly everyone else on this list has the chance to help his team win a Super Bowl. As a great player on the trade block, Ramsey could help any team win a Super Bowl.

They're not trading Ramsey.  They'll keep him and his option is only for like 11 mil.  So he's not going anywhere over the next 2 years.    The Jags went out and signed Nick Foles as opposed to drafting a QB, they still think they have a window and Ramsey is a HUGE part of that equation.  

What I find very interesting in Jacksonville is; Coughlin and Marrone are supposedly the king of disciplinary hard asses yet they're running the most dysfunctional players do whatever the F they want to do organization in the league.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

They're not trading Ramsey.  They'll keep him and his option is only for like 11 mil.  So he's not going anywhere over the next 2 years.    The Jags went out and signed Nick Foles as opposed to drafting a QB, they still think they have a window and Ramsey is a HUGE part of that equation.  

What I find very interesting in Jacksonville is; Coughlin and Marrone are supposedly the king of disciplinary hard asses yet they're running the most dysfunctional players do whatever the F they want to do organization in the league.  

I find that part interesting as well. I agree with not trading a player who is that elite in his prime while having your QB locked down for the next couple of years. But I don't think the Jags thought they were going to have a concern with Ramsey. 

D97DOtEWwAIoowI.jpg:large

I know this is just a negotiation tactic to get signed up earlier but great players get traded all the time.

1 hour ago, Rsherman28 said:

But the Jaguars seem to have soured on Ramsey, and their salary-cap situation for 2019 and 2020 looks like some deranged practical joke.

1 hour ago, slats said:

How could financial genius John Idzik allow the Jaguars cap situation get so bad? 

The issue seems to be overstated.  They're scheduled to be $14.7M over the cap next year, with their only player of significance hitting free agency after 2019 being Myles Jack. 

They can easily get back under the cap by trading/cutting/restructuring DT Marcell Dareus ($20M cap savings, only $2.5M dead money if cut after 2019) and/or DE Calais Campbell ($15M cap savings, $2.5M in dead money if cut after 2019). 

• Upvote 2

The Jags were a flash in the pan.  They can't have sustained success with their QB situation.  It's like the 2009-10 Jets.  They need to trade their assets and start over.

I'd trade for him but unfortunately the Jets are stuck with Trumaine Johnson's contract.  They probably want to move Ramsey to the NFC anyway.

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

The Jags were a flash in the pan.  They can't have sustained success with their QB situation.  It's like the 2009-10 Jets.  They need to trade their assets and start over.

Why can't they have success with Nick Foles?  I know he won't be what he was in Philly as the backup and in a great system.  But he's a significant step up from Blake Bortles. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Why can't they have success with Nick Foles?  I know he won't be what he was in Philly as the backup and in a great system.  But he's a significant step up from Blake Bortles. 

Foles strikes me as a guy who only plays well when his back is up against the wall for playing time.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting much.  In Philly, he had all the support in the world around him plus motivation to keep his job, not so in Jacksonville.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

I find that part interesting as well. I agree with not trading a player who is that elite in his prime while having your QB locked down for the next couple of years. But I don't think the Jags thought they were going to have a concern with Ramsey. 

D97DOtEWwAIoowI.jpg:large

I know this is just a negotiation tactic to get signed up earlier but great players get traded all the time.

FWIW, that quote came from an interview where the media was asking him about Ngakoue's contract and the team fining Telvin Smith who was removed himself from the team for personal issues.  So he said after he was kind of led down the path of, dont you think this is kind of messed up what's happening to your boys?  

Either way, why should he give them a discount?  He's the best in the game.  I dont think he's traded, I think he plays a year under the tag and then they let him hit FA.  I think they prioritize Ngakoue over Jalen, which I personally agree with.  

36 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The way the rules are setup, even if ur a great corner its hard to play.  I would treat corners like running backs.  Draft a few in the 3rd and 4th rounds each year and dont pay big to that position.

And when your starting CBs are Juston Burris and Dexter McDougle?  What then? I would pray your team was in my division, because even McCown would be cutting you up.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

59 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The way the rules are setup, even if ur a great corner its hard to play.  I would treat corners like running backs.  Draft a few in the 3rd and 4th rounds each year and dont pay big to that position.

This is wrong... The Pats realized this was wrong and went out and overpaid CBs, the Saints became relevant again on the back of CB play, the Rams threw money at CBs and the Jags made the AFC championship games recently on the backs of their elites CBs. CB play is harder than ever to gauge but its probably the most important defensive position in this new league.

If we can trade for Ramsey, we do it. The Jaguars are a poorly constructed team right now. They will have no d-line next year if they hope to have cap room but the alternative is letting Myles Jack and Ngodkue walk. 

• Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Personally I think this would be huge and make our defense elite on paper. Imagine pairing him with Jamal Adams and company. The amount of trash talk that would be backed up is fit for Rex Ryan days. 

I know that the huge con here is investing that much into one position, at least it's one of the hardest position to draft for. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842509-the-nfls-10-most-important-players-entering-2019?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league

8d5647487950e17c239c873977a13f18_crop_exact.jpg?h=533&w=800&q=70&crop_x=center&crop_y=top

Ramsey may be the NFL's best cornerback. He's due for a massive contract extension soon, and he plays for a team whose defense nearly dragged it to the Super Bowl in 2017. But the Jaguars seem to have soured on Ramsey, and their salary-cap situation for 2019 and 2020 looks like some deranged practical joke. So Ramsey could help new Jaguars quarterback Nick Foles work his magic and spark a quick Jaguars rebound, or he could be traded tomorrow, perhaps to a contender.

Think of the intriguing teams with money to burn right now (Raiders, Browns, Colts) and the contenders who always manage to wedge whatever they want into the budget somehow (Patriots, Patriots, Eagles, Patriots): A Ramsey trade could shift the balance of power for the whole league, assuming he doesn't stay put and turn the AFC South into a photo finish.

Ramsey's dispute with the Jaguars could also topple the Tom Coughlin/Doug Marrone regime, signaling the end of an era for old-school drill-sergeant executives like Coughlin. And the contract extension he eventually signs with someone will almost certainly reset the market for both cornerbacks and top-tier defenders.

Nearly everyone else on this list has the chance to help his team win a Super Bowl. As a great player on the trade block, Ramsey could help any team win a Super Bowl.

How do the browns have so much money

Nothing is shifting the balance of power in the AFC in 2019 except an injury to Tom Brady.  

New England will win the AFCE, thus assuring themselves at least 1 home playoff game... and probably a first round bye yet again.   Back to the AFCCG they will go for the 9th season in a row.

7 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I'd trade for him but unfortunately the Jets are stuck with Trumaine Johnson's contract.  They probably want to move Ramsey to the NFC anyway.

Manish probably reading this thread right now pumping his fist about Doug Marrone's quick fall from grace.

14 hours ago, JiF said:

The Jaguars will most likely trade Jalen Ramsey .( wouldn't surprise me if it's before this season.   1.   Jalen Ramsey after 2017 season might have been the best CB in the game but that wasn't the case in 2018.( his play dropped somewhat- was no where close the dominate  CB he was in 2017.

Jalen  Ramsey has become a distraction for the Jaguars .  ( a lot of friction between both parties).  The Jaguars get their price they will move him.

Its  going to be expensive to acquire J Ramsey.   Probably a number 1, and a player .. Rumor is it would take one of the Raiders number one pick next year , and second round pick CB Trayvon Mullen , to get J Ramsey.

No way I do that trade , and some other team can have him .( give up all that, and pay him a monster salary also). 

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

The Jaguars will most likely trade Jalen Ramsey .( wouldn't surprise me if it's before this season.   1.   Jalen Ramsey after 2017 season might have been the best CB in the game but that wasn't the case in 2018.( his play dropped somewhat- was no where close the dominate  CB he was in 2017.

Jalen  Ramsey has become a distraction for the Jaguars .  ( a lot of friction between both parties).  The Jaguars get their price they will move him.

Its  going to be expensive to acquire J Ramsey.   Probably a number 1, and a player .. Rumor is it would take one of the Raiders number one pick next year , and second round pick CB Trayvon Mullen , to get J Ramsey.

No way I do that trade , and some other team can have him .( give up all that, and pay him a monster salary also). 

I’m surprised the raiders don’t get a first rounder back if they’re trading a guy like Trayvon Mullen

• Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

So in one breath, the most likely scenario is Jalen Ramsey plays for another team this season.  But in the other, most teams wont play the price it will take to pry him away?  And he went from the best in the game, to probably the best in the game...you think that's the motivation to trade him?  lol

Jalen Ramsey is playing for the Jags this year 100% guaranteed.  He's actually much less of a distraction than he's been in the past years.  He's not holding out like Ngakoue.  He's there when he needs to be and that's exactly where the Jags want him.

The most likely scenario, is Jalen plays out his contract and the Jags let him hit FA.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The dominant dominator dominates. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

So in one breath, the most likely scenario is Jalen Ramsey plays for another team this season.  But in the other, most teams wont play the price it will take to pry him away?  And he went from the best in the game, to probably the best in the game...you think that's the motivation to trade him?  lol

Jalen Ramsey is playing for the Jags this year 100% guaranteed.  He's actually much less of a distraction than he's been in the past years.  He's not holding out like Ngakoue.  He's there when he needs to be and that's exactly where the Jags want him.

The most likely scenario, is Jalen plays out his contract and the Jags let him hit FA.

No what I said was most likely some  team will pay the price to acquire Jalen Ramsey . ( he gets traded before the end of training camp). As a Raider fan I wouldn't do the trade because it's too much to give up.

Jalen Ramsey his first two years was one of the top CB's in the game.   Last year he wasn't that good.( Fact).  

Some teams that feels it's close might be willing to make that trade.  ( the team better be prepared to offer the package I thought wasn't acceptable for the Raiders to make).

43 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

No what I said was most likely some  team will pay the price to acquire Jalen Ramsey . ( he gets traded before the end of training camp). As a Raider fan I wouldn't do the trade because it's too much to give up.

Jalen Ramsey his first two years was one of the top CB's in the game.   Last year he wasn't that good.( Fact).  

Some teams that feels it's close might be willing to make that trade.  ( the team better be prepared to offer the package I thought wasn't acceptable for the Raiders to make).

Would you like to place a wager to your favorite charity that Jalen Ramsey plays for the Jags the entire season this year?  

5 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I’m not sure because I didn’t watch the Jags, but it seemed like that team just generally gave up because Bortles sucked. Not sure if that’s true but I wish them nothing but the worst. 

5 minutes ago, Drums said:

I’m not sure because I didn’t watch the Jags, but it seemed like that team just generally gave up because Bortles sucked. Not sure if that’s true but I wish them nothing but the worst. 

The D was 4th in points, 5th in yards.  The D is still championship caliber and Jalen Ramsey is a HUGE reason why.  And it's why they're not trading him.  The Jags think they can get back to the AFC championship game with that D and now Foles.  No Ramsey, significantly changes that idea. 

43 minutes ago, JiF said:

The D was 4th in points, 5th in yards.  The D is still championship caliber and Jalen Ramsey is a HUGE reason why.  And it's why they're not trading him.  The Jags think they can get back to the AFC championship game with that D and now Foles.  No Ramsey, significantly changes that idea. 

In how strapped they are for cap room, does a 2-4 start from the Jags make you think about moving him in a trade mid-season? 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Would you like to place a wager to your favorite charity that Jalen Ramsey plays for the Jags the entire season this year?  

His favorite charity is small and nobody has ever heard of it but eventually it will be the biggest charity of all time. 

8 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

In how strapped they are for cap room, does a 2-4 start from the Jags make you think about moving him in a trade mid-season? 

I highly doubt it.  They look in trouble but I dont think it's as bad as it looks.  They've got a couple of contracts they can get out of next year pretty easily if I'm not mistaken; Dareus, Linder, Hayden, Lee and Campbell.  A few others as well.  Also, you have to assume they recoup Telvin Smith's contract.  The only factor that could impact that is what type of contract they give Ngakoue.

I dont see the Jags moving Jalen and/or a team offering enough to make it happen.  He'll play out his contract and hit FA.  

I live in Jax, listen to a lot of local sports radio.  The common consensus around those who are closest to the team, is that they feel he's worth the headache and feel he's crucial to getting back to where they were 2 years go.  They want to work out a long term deal but they're not optimistic about that potential.  Nobody sees a trade on the horizon.  If they didnt sign Foles, totally different story.  

18 hours ago, JiF said:

Not afraid to put my money where my mouth is, but won't give to any charity because the majority are money laundering scams .( do your own research on this subject). 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Not afraid to put my money where my mouth is, but won't give to any charity because the majority are money laundering scams .( do your own research on this subject). 

lol ok, well then, we'll just bump this and I'll say, I told you so and make you feel shame.

• Upvote 2