Edoga Signs Rookie Deal

Lith

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Wonder what's taking so long for QW ? I thought where you were drafted , #3, pretty much determined your $$.

Usually the issues are related to offset language and timing of signing bonus payment.  Nick Bosa is still unsigned as well as a couple of other guys, so Williams may be waiting to see what Bosa's deal looks like before signing.  Although if Nick pulls a Joey and holds out, I would hope QW will get his deal done anyway.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

At least Edoga has potential to be a fine player.  He has issues but actually seeing an olienman drafted is such a novelty for this team.

Hes small for a tackle. Opposite of the type of O linemen Gase prefers. We shall see. LOL.

Still, gotta be better than Qvale etc.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

At least Edoga has potential to be a fine player.  He has issues but actually seeing an olienman drafted is such a novelty for this team.

Agreed. I didn't love him coming out and preferred many of the other prospects more, but he has potential to be a real T for us at some point. With Pollack and Frazier, we may actually be able to take his raw potential and make something out of him. It all depends on his motivation, which has been reported as an issue. Like you said though... at least we have a young OL who is not a damn UDFA in camp to work on. That's good news. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Usually the issues are related to offset language and timing of signing bonus payment.  Nick Bosa is still unsigned as well as a couple of other guys, so Williams may be waiting to see what Bosa's deal looks like before signing.  Although if Nick pulls a Joey and holds out, I would hope QW will get his deal done anyway.

He could have also seen Darnold's successful holdout last year getting him favorable terms. What was it Darnold wanted? Non-voidance of guarantees for a suspension?

1 hour ago, Lith said:

They ARE worried about Bosa holding out. Hope QW signs soon. Not sure who his agent is.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He could have also seen Darnold's successful holdout last year getting him favorable terms. What was it Darnold wanted? Non-voidance of guarantees for a suspension?

I think Sam also got his entire signing bonus paid up front.

• Upvote 1

I wanted Hakeem Butler there but I also prefered Jody Cajuste who ended up in NE or Bobby Evans but we'll see.  Chuma should be interesting, he's got some talent and athleticism.  At the very least, he should be roster worthy for the next few years.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

I wanted Hakeem Butler there but I also prefered Jody Cajuste who ended up in NE or Bobby Evans but we'll see.  Chuma should be interesting, he's got some talent and athleticism.  At the very least, he should be roster worthy for the next few years.

Yep. Bobby evans, Michael Dieter or even Ben Powers would have been the picks for me.  Truth is I would have taken Connor Mcgovern instead of Polite with the 1st of our 3rd rd picks so there's that. 

That said, I think Chuma is at least workable. He has the ability and the potential. Like you said he's roster worthy at minimum.  In 2-3 years he may be a part of a completely rebuilt line and he's in there working with Pollack this year. That's good. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yep. Bobby evans, Michael Dieter or even Ben Powers would have been the picks for me.  Truth is I would have taken Connor Mcgovern instead of Polite with the 1st of our 3rd rd picks so there's that. 

That said, I think Chuma is at least workable. He has the ability and the potential. Like you said he's roster worthy at minimum.  In 2-3 years he may be a part of a completely rebuilt line and he's in there working with Pollack this year. That's good. 

Yes, at least they can bring him a long and they didnt draft him into a position that they're desperate for a starter.  It would be great to hear he gives Shell a run for his money but it's nice they dont need that to happen to have an answer at the position.  Plus, Tom Compton truly provides some utility depth so most likely, Chuma never even sees the field next season or at least for an extended period of time. 

• Upvote 1

That's actually the funniest part of it all. We needed OL as one of the top priorities going into the draft. We draft a guy that isn't at a need on the OL.  I know that technically speaking we really only need C as a priority, but we could have upgraded every position on that OL other than LT with KO being brought in.  Even Beachum is more of a hold the first guy. 

I agree that Chuma may not see the field at all this year. That will be the case if we are lucky. I have hope for Shell after getting some real coaching in here. Dennison seemed ok and the Viking snatched him up, but I look at Pollack as a significant upgrade there.  Shell is at a crossroads imo. I like him but think he will more likely be a solid backup but I have hope. 

7 hours ago, JiF said:

I was depressed when they passed on butler there.  For days.

Cajuste has injury issues or he would have went higher.  He has somewhat of an increased risk.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, JiF said:

He was the first pick that I actually liked this year. After digging deeper I'm not seeing all of these character concerns that were mentioned. 

If he was 2" taller he is a surefire first round pick because of his length and dominance in pass blocking during his college days. He also backed that up with a dominant SB and that goes a long way for me when evaluating players. 

I also liked Butler but didn't do enough homework on Cajuste to offer an opinion. Obviously the concern with Butler is his hands and that's the reason he fell because he is quite the specimen for a WR. I'll definitely keep an eye on how his career pans out.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, RobR said:

He was the first pick that I actually liked this year. After digging deeper I'm not seeing all of these character concerns that were mentioned. 

If he was 2" taller he is a surefire first round pick because of his length and dominance in pass blocking during his college days. He also backed that up with a dominant SB and that goes a long way for me when evaluating players. 

I also liked Butler but didn't do enough homework on Cajuste to offer an opinion. Obviously the concern with Butler is his hands and that's the reason he fell because he is quite the specimen for a WR. I'll definitely keep an eye on how his career pans out.

Your encouragement, makes me more encouraged. 

On 6/27/2019 at 7:08 PM, RobR said:

Chuma has had his issues, but he did turn things around after that second game vs Utah State in 2016 after shoving an official.  Coach Helton believed in him enough to disciple him and mandated that he attend counseling sessions.  You can say a lot of things about Coach Helton as a HC, but one thing is indisputable, he is a good, decent man who did not hesitate to remove a few players from the team that broke team rules.  Chuma’s breaking of those team rules was for smoking MJ.  The horror.

He did choose to return to USC for his senior year, and graduate with his degree.  One big plus about drafting Chuma over the others is his relationship with Sam that goes beyond the football field, you can also bet Sam went to bat for him, and believes in him. 

• Upvote 2