Gase already paying dividends

15 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Oh, for sure the place has definitely been busier this year, and it was already busy. Other team sites I've visited do nowhere near the volume this place does all year.

That's because we're hungry like the wolf

21 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Imagine if Coffee* wasn't fired and the hiring process didn't happen. This boring time we're in would have started a month earlier. The downtime is probably less bearable currently though from being built up with what could be a franchise moving front office hire, a new coach, and Sam going into his second season. In a few weeks this place is going to explode and it's going to surge into the season.

Sorry if I don't share your enthusiasm. I don't care about Gase or anything he's done thus far. You know what will impress me? I'll tell you what....

WINNING

Start doing that one thing and I'll start being a lot more enthused about their prospects for winning. Hell, add a decent corner or a Center? Something, ANYTHING to improve our chances at winning. Because right now? The Jets are nothing more than a great, big, hot, steamy TURD wearing a silk hat. The problem with that is, regardless of how many times you try to shine it, it's still SH*T.

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Sorry if I don't share your enthusiasm. I don't care about Gase or anything he's done thus far. You know what will impress me? I'll tell you what....

WINNING

Start doing that one thing and I'll start being a lot more enthused about their prospects for winning. Hell, add a decent corner or a Center? Something, ANYTHING to improve our chances at winning. Because right now? The Jets are nothing more than a great, big, hot, steamy TURD wearing a silk hat. The problem with that is, regardless of how many times you try to shine it, it's still SH*T.

Wow I just cant agree with this. Not saying we will win the Super Bowl but Gase literally has to be a worse HC , and than Willians worse than Kacy Rogers for that to be true.

Darnold was the best QB in football the last 4 weeks without the benefit of Q, Crowder or Leveon Bell.

McCoffee did not in any way make the moves I would have in the offseason, but really hard to argue we are not better on defense adding Moseley and Quinnen.

It is true that center was not addressed with an elite talent but we did bring in a lot of depth and Osemele who will help any center.

We did next to nothing at corner, but with Maye back and if Jones and Roberts can continue improving, Williams can probably scheme an effective secondary because we will be super stout up the middle

And dont forget Bowles coached to lose and managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory several times last year. We were mostly competitive last year except when McCown started but that turned out to help Darnold a lot

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

WINNING

Sure, agreed. As the premise states though... Imagine the last month without the GM drama and how boring it would have been. My god people read the post. F!@#$%^ public school system and their social promotion.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:39 PM, T0mShane said:

I think what Gase has brought, mostly, is an organizational confidence that we haven't seen here since Parcells. Gase stared down the owner and the media and came out on top in both instances, in spades. Dude already has two of the big three pelts any Jets coach needs to take if he's going to be successful. The third one is Belichick, and Gase has a pretty solid history against him already. 

trying to beat BB with a formidable crew like Tannehill, Cutler and Osweiler is an almost impossible task.  More credit to Gase.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

WINNING

You have shined turds?

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah its great that the failed coach of a div rival who was hour 2nd or 3rd choice as coach just fired our gm and then hired a new one taking total control of the team within a bout a month of being here.

Mac should have been gone via our dumbo owner so the new guy could have helped choose a coach.

I like Douglas and think he will be a big improvement but I am not sold on Gase.

He'll start paying dividends when we win some games and he helps Darnold do so.

What about the idea that Gase had a lot to do with Douglas arrival on CJ's radar?  I suggesat that w/o both Gase and the timing of the firing that we don't have Douglas as GM 

22 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

It is great, and here's why: Gase clearly isn't coming in as some passive check casher looking to just get by for the next 4 years. Nor would I call him a failed coach as he took over a sh*te team (his first HC position in the NFL, it's not like he's some 3 decade deep retread who's lost everywhere he's been), split with the pats*, then shot his way out of town when he saw the organization sucked. Correct, Mac should have been gone sooner and you like Douglas also so where's the problem? Of course september - february will matter more than june - july but the point was imagine how boring june would have been without Gase pushing his weight around (presumptuously). 

Under that premise Bowles wasn't a failure either. 

Gase was a failure in Miami and got progressively worse over his 3 years - way too many people are trying to sugar-coat that.

If he succeeds here it's because Darnold becomes a legitimate top flight franchise. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/4/2019 at 7:33 AM, Adoni Beast said:

Always liked Gase, and whatever initial concerns about him seem to have been Miami media propaganda because he completely disregarded them.

His record in games that Tannehill started is the most important stat for me. If he can win like that with a QB who talent level is a decent back up, then we have reason to be excited.

The other validation for me is Joe Douglas. The hottest name for GM, who could have had any job he wanted next season, took this job. Noway he takes this job if he doesn’t think Gase is a good coach. Sure he bought himself insurance with the 6 year deal to fire Gase if need be and hire his own guy, but he obviously thinks highly of Gase.

The bolded part might be overstepping a bit. He has some legit concerns and Miami beat reporters aren't the first/only people to communicate that he's an arrogant douchebag. Mind you, he can be an arrogant douchebag and still be phenomenally successful (or successful enough, even if only for just one SB season), but that doesn't therefore mean, "Everything they said is 100% bull**** and they only said it because he didn't give them easy stories." It doesn't even make unjustified "propaganda" nearly as likely as his being just an arrogant prick, whatever his coaching ability.

Seems pretty clear so far that if he wasn't an egotistical, arrogant prick like the "Miami media propaganda" suggested, Maccagnan would likely still be the team's GM. It takes a sh** ton of arrogance to even think he can get his boss fired before he's accomplished anything here himself or even held his first OTA practice; let alone actually pursue it and potentially poison the well already if CJ didn't comply. So in that case, at least, it's not even some all-bad thing. At the same time, that doesn't therefore make it an all-good trait going forward, nor that all past Miami concerns can be written off. 

I have no complaints so far, but it's also true he hasn't coached so much as a single Jets preseason game yet. Truer still that this FO shake-things-up mentality will wear thin fast if he keeps it up after already getting what he asked for. His upside is obvious; to ignore that he has potential downsides (potentially serious/insurmountable at that) is more wishful thinking than objective viewing of his history.

• Upvote 2

The Dolphins job was also his first stint in the top seat and things can take time to click.

For some, they need a year (or more) in between getting fired so they can see changes are need in this or that part of the way they attack their jobs. For others, just the acts of getting fired was enough to get through that everyone wasn't loving what they were doing, and they're not just victims to the incompetence of those around them.

Or perhaps, especially with a younger guy like Gase, he just needs/needed time to see some more on the job that he hasn't seen enough of just yet through age 40. Few experienced coaches will honestly feel they were better & more knowledgeable coaches, and also better leaders of dozens of others, after 1-2 years vs after 3-5. 

Don't care which it is. If he becomes a good HC here - or even if he's a meh/sucky HC but we eventually fall forward into a SB win by talent and/or creative coordinators alone - we'll all rightly see his past up to that point as the means to an end we sought for a long, long time.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The bolded part might be overstepping a bit. He has some legit concerns and Miami beat reporters aren't the first/only people to communicate that he's an arrogant douchebag. Mind you, he can be an arrogant douchebag and still be phenomenally successful (or successful enough, even if only for just one SB season), but that doesn't therefore mean, "Everything they said is 100% bull**** and they only said it because he didn't give them easy stories." It doesn't even make unjustified "propaganda" nearly as likely as his being just an arrogant prick, whatever his coaching ability.

Seems pretty clear so far that if he wasn't an egotistical, arrogant prick like the "Miami media propaganda" suggested, Maccagnan would likely still be the team's GM. It takes a sh** ton of arrogance to even think he can get his boss fired before he's accomplished anything here himself or even held his first OTA practice; let alone actually pursue it and potentially poison the well already if CJ didn't make the move. So in that case, at least, it's not even some all-bad thing. At the same time, that doesn't therefore make it an all-good thing going forward, or that all concerns can be written off. 

I have no complaints so far, but it's also true he hasn't coached so much as a single Jets preseason game yet. Truer still that this FO shake-things-up mentality doesn't wear thin if he keeps it up after already getting what he asked for. His upside is obvious; to ignore that he has potential downsides (potentially serious/insurmountable at that) is more wishful thinking than objectively viewing.

all hard to say.  i'm guessing gase didn't like the way mac drafted and put some of the bug in chris johnson's ear but at the same time i'm sure johnson was tired of the losing and just had to look at mac's draft record to get pushed to the brink.  and the fact they brought in a guy in douglas, who seems to be a genuine football guy means that maybe mac was falling down in other areas as well.

as for gase being a good coach, to me bowles' teams weren't doing the job on the field and not all of that can be blamed on mac.  sure mac brought in the players but bowles let slugs like wilky get away with too much and was way more of a players coach than advertised. and who knows what was going on in miami.  gase didn't have a really reliable qb for two of the seasons and the time he had tannehill playing well they made the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Seems pretty clear so far that if he wasn't an egotistical, arrogant prick like the "Miami media propaganda" suggested, Maccagnan would likely still be the team's GM. It takes a sh** ton of arrogance to even think he can get his boss fired before he's accomplished anything here himself or even held his first OTA practice; let alone actually pursue it and potentially poison the well already if CJ didn't comply. So in that case, at least, it's not even some all-bad thing. At the same time, that doesn't therefore make it an all-good trait going forward, nor that all past Miami concerns can be written off. 

I have no complaints so far, but it's also true he hasn't coached so much as a single Jets preseason game yet. Truer still that this FO shake-things-up mentality will wear thin fast if he keeps it up after already getting what he asked for. His upside is obvious; to ignore that he has potential downsides (potentially serious/insurmountable at that) is more wishful thinking than objective viewing of his history.

So the sky is falling :(.

Glass half full here.  I'll save the possibilities of doom and gloom for when I actually see it.  As of now he (IMHO) was instramental in our long overdue FO shake up.  That will suffice for now.  Go Jets!

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t mind if he’s egotistical douche. I think he definitely is, and a psychotic one at that. I was referring more to them saying he was clueless, and ruined the locker room. I think he was clearing the locker room out of the problems. 

Media was spinning that as, players can’t play for him, because in turn he treated the beat writers like sh*t.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Under that premise Bowles wasn't a failure either. 

Gase was a failure in Miami and got progressively worse over his 3 years - way too many people are trying to sugar-coat that.

If he succeeds here it's because Darnold becomes a legitimate top flight franchise. 

Did Bowles ever do anything to impress you? Did he ever seem to get better? Did he ever address anything without glib answers? Gase's record isn't that bad actually at 1 game under .500 with a perennially injured QB, made the playoffs his first year, and split with the pats* during his 3 years. Bowles was 9 games under .500, never got to the playoffs, never beat the pats*, and his unit (defense) was generally underwhelming. While the D was better when his bff wasn't running it Bowles hired his friend to run the D and kept him in that role despite the obvious fact that he wasn't very good at it. Context is everything and while we weren't watching Miami football the last three years we did see first hand what was going on with Bowles the last 4 and there really wasn't anything to be hopeful for from him as a coach. Did you see Bowles becoming a good HC?

If Gase succeeds here (big if) of course it will have a lot to do with Sam as HCs live and die at QB. Hopefully though we'll see better systems and adaptive coaches who actually coach and hold players accountable. Hopefully we won't see guys sign a contract and start dogging it. Gase could come in and crash and burn, sure, it's quite possible. However, like when Bowles and every other Jets coach has been hired I'm going to show some faith that Gase will get the job done.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It takes a sh** ton of arrogance to even think he can get his boss fired before he's accomplished anything here himself or even held his first OTA practice; let alone actually pursue it and potentially poison the well already if CJ didn't comply.

My kind of guy:    https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/71274ace-b31a-41bc-bfb7-e05860c47b23

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

all hard to say.  i'm guessing gase didn't like the way mac drafted and put some of the bug in chris johnson's ear but at the same time i'm sure johnson was tired of the losing and just had to look at mac's draft record to get pushed to the brink.  and the fact they brought in a guy in douglas, who seems to be a genuine football guy means that maybe mac was falling down in other areas as well.

as for gase being a good coach, to me bowles' teams weren't doing the job on the field and not all of that can be blamed on mac.  sure mac brought in the players but bowles let slugs like wilky get away with too much and was way more of a players coach than advertised. and who knows what was going on in miami.  gase didn't have a really reliable qb for two of the seasons and the time he had tannehill playing well they made the playoffs.

I think he disliked the fact that Macc isolated the coaches from the scouts at draft time

For people focusing on Gase’s record.

Sean Payton’s first 3 years:

(10-6, 7-9, 8-8) with Drew Brees. Then went 3 straight 7-9 seasons between 2014-2016. Drew Brees never having a major season ending injury any of those seasons. Yes Payton earned his keep during the other seasons.

But, I think Gase did a pretty good job with Ryan F’n Tannehill. Gase’s leash should be short, with the raw talent he has in Darnold.

2020 we should contending, and/or Darnold should be quantum leaps ahead of his rookie season by then, or Gase should be shown the door.

I like everything I've seen so far about Gase coming here except for Gase himself coming here.

Who know's why Mac is gone but I like new GM selection

I like new DC selection

I like the selection of ass't coaches kept and released

I just don't like Gase......All moves so far could prove to be successful but until we start winning I don't like Gase.

Egotistical,arrogant & douchebag will remain his tagline until he proves otherwise

20 minutes ago, joewilly said:

Egotistical,arrogant & douchebag will remain his tagline until he proves otherwise

That's fair. Can you think of any other coaches you may tag with possessing said traits? Maybe in the AFC East? At least two of those traits are often helpful with regard to success at high levels even if they aren't socially desirable.

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That's fair. Can you think of any other coaches you may tag with possessing said traits? Maybe in the AFC East? At least two of those traits are often helpful with regard to success at high levels even if they aren't socially desirable.

agreed 100%  .Parcells comes to mind as one who captures all 3 traits. most carry 2. I'm just not buying into Gase. Poor track record, inexperienced and players didn't like him.

Looking forward to apologizing in feb when we hoist the trophy though.

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

So the sky is falling :(.

Glass half full here.  I'll save the possibilities of doom and gloom for when I actually see it.  As of now he (IMHO) was instramental in our long overdue FO shake up.  That will suffice for now.  Go Jets!

I don't know where you get either "the sky is falling" or "doom and gloom" from my post. 

He has a reputation for being an arrogant douchebag. So what of it? If he didn't have that trait then it's overwhelmingly likely Macc would still be the GM. 

He'll be judged on how good a HC he is. I do think it's premature - not to mention wishful thinking - that all his less than stellar press in Miami was purely borne out of them having it out for him without cause. 

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Why on Earth would Manning endorse Gase and put his own rep on the line.....just ask yourself that before you get all pessimistic.  

Joe Montana endorsed Paul Hackett even more strongly. What of it?

I have no complaints with regard to Gase thus far. At the same time he hasn't coached a preseason game for us yet. 

Everyone wants him to do well and coach the Jets to a SB. 

Look Bowles had a chance and didn't succeed. He was supposed to be an expert on defense and that was the worst part of the Jets team. I mean regular breakdowns in coverage. And it isn't like the Jets didn't draft for defense most of their top picks were on D. 

On 7/6/2019 at 10:25 AM, Rangers9 said:

Look Bowles had a chance and didn't succeed. He was supposed to be an expert on defense and that was the worst part of the Jets team. I mean regular breakdowns in coverage. And it isn't like the Jets didn't draft for defense most of their top picks were on D. 

Couldn't that be said of Gase and his offense in Miami?

• Sympathy 1

I don't think the Qb situation in Miami was that bad. Tannehill is ok his problem was injuries. When healthy he was a better than average Qb. I thought Gase did a good job with Cutler he played alright and Matt Moore was capable of starting. He was a higher quality backup. IMO you don't have to have a superstar as your starting Qb most of these guys are good not great. Gase did try to change the culture there, he got rid of several very good skill position players. Probably the best players on their offense. Let's see how things work here. I think the Jets will be better this season with him and Williams as DC.  But this all has to be proven on the field.

18 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, not really. Their first three Super Bowls were all defense.

First SB:. NE D became first D to EVER blow a double digit fourth qtr lead in a super bowl when they blew a 14 pt lead vs the Rams before Brady led one of the greatest drives in SB history. This was the best postseason for the NE D, they were almost great throughout- until the fourth qtr of the SB but they played in a snowstorm in div Rd then played kordell Stewart in title game.  By the way, this team was 0-2 and going nowhere before Brady took over.

Second SB: NE D became second EVER to blow a double digit fourth qtr lead in a SB when they blew an 11 point lead and gave up 19 fourth qtr points.

The third one the D had a good game in a 24-21 win but remember in 2000 the team was 5-11 without Brady, 2001 0-2 workout Brady before miraculously going 11-3 en route to the SB as soon as Brady became the starter.

9 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

And knowing the Rams plays prior to the game pretty much “won” that SB for them. It’s easy when you know what plays are coming. 

Sure helped them in the fourth qtr when they allowed 14 points to tie the game becoming the first D EVER to blow a double digit fourth qtr lead in a super bowl.  That was the 36th super bowl by the way.

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

First SB:. NE D became first D to EVER blow a double digit fourth qtr lead in a super bowl when they blew a 14 pt lead vs the Rams before Brady led one of the greatest drives in SB history. This was the best postseason for the NE D, they were almost great throughout- until the fourth qtr of the SB but they played in a snowstorm in div Rd then played kordell Stewart in title game.  By the way, this team was 0-2 and going nowhere before Brady took over.

Second SB: NE D became second EVER to blow a double digit fourth qtr lead in a SB when they blew an 11 point lead and gave up 19 fourth qtr points.

The third one the D had a good game in a 24-21 win but remember in 2000 the team was 5-11 without Brady, 2001 0-2 workout Brady before miraculously going 11-3 en route to the SB as soon as Brady became the starter.

The Patriots were 6th, 1st, and 2nd in scoring defense those years. I don't care about one game, those were defense driven teams. Brady didn't become an elite QB who carried them until much later.