If you were stuck on a desert island and had a choice to bring 5 albums with you, what would they be?

57 minutes ago, Warmbrother said:

Ok I’ll rephrase that.

thees a TON of great music today. TONS! But you have to be very interested and invested in music to find it.

the difference is that back in the day “pop” musical was good music. You couldnt avoid it.

today pop is garbage. And you cant avoid it either

Is there a more iconic pop duo than Rick James and Eddie Murphy?

I don’t think so. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Nobody under the age of 54 has ever listened to an entire album. No one under the age of 35 has ever had to purchase an album.

I’m not saying this to make fun of anyone. I just think it’s interesting how irrelevant this once-staple question is to younger people. It’s like talking about your favorite VHS tape.

Just not true. Kids who dig music listen to whole albums and have their whole lives. Spotify makes it amazingly inexpensive and easy for them to do so. Not the same as throwing vinyl on a turntable, but they're listening to 40 straight minutes of one artist's work on a regular basis. 

2 hours ago, Warmbrother said:

Ok I’ll rephrase that.

thees a TON of great music today. TONS! But you have to be very interested and invested in music to find it.

the difference is that back in the day “pop” musical was good music. You couldnt avoid it.

today pop is garbage. And you cant avoid it either

This, I agree with. 

Pop music sucks today. Like 90% of top 40 is written by two lame dudes. But there are some fantastic new artists out there pumping out great music. And it's not impossible to find. Spotify (again), Pandora, YouTube all want to recommend the next thing you should hear once you get started. I've found that tons of stuff without trying hard at all. Helps to have two correctly raised kids pointing you in the right direction, but it can be done without that head start. 

• Upvote 3

So my quick list...

The Beatles (White Album)

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

The Clash - Sandinista

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Prince - Sign 'O The Times

(greatest hits albums were out, but double or triple albums weren't, and I'd want a lot of music with me)

Honorable mentions (single albums worth loving)...

King Crimson - Discipline

David Bowie - Scary Monsters

Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia

Van Halen - Fair Warning

Jane's Addiction - Ritual de la Habitual 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Really like Nathaiel Rateliff.  First Night Sweats album is awesome -- give it a listen.  SOB, I Need Never Get Old.  Some great stuff. 

Another band I really like that doesn't seem to get much attention or airplay is The Revivalists.  They had a hit last year with Wish I Knew You, but their other stuff is so much better.  Good music is out there waiting to be found.  Just have to know where to look.

Thanks for the tip on Rateliffs 1st album 

knew about the Revitalists 

Typical old guy list with nothing after 1990 but here we go anyway 

Pink Floyd- animals. Reminds me of care free days and the music just takes me on a ride 

U2 - Joshua tree. Yeah yeah bono this bono that. The 2nd side of that album never gets old and I am stuck on an island after all 

Rush - moving pictures. What else is left to say about this masterpiece 

Guns N Roses - appetite for destruction. This came out my senior year in high school I must have played it 500 times lol

Led Zeppelin- III.   I hadn’t heard really anything from this album except immigrant song on the radio until my freshman year at school and someone found out about that and gave me headphones and I got in the proper mood and listened to it all the way through during a snowstorm.   Made an impression 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

So my quick list...

The Clash - Sandinista

Pink Floyd - The Wall

(greatest hits albums were out, but double or triple albums weren't, and I'd want a lot of music with me)

Van Halen - Fair Warning

Very nice list  

Very proud of my 19 year old, she played across the universe, blackbird and Jenny wren in the car today and my junior year in high school I got fair warning stuck in the cassette player in my car and had to listen to it for weeks ?

• Haha 1

A couple more honorable mentions...

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

Joe Jackson - Look Sharp

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues

Stone Roses - Second Coming

Everything else by The Beatles, because they're the world's greatest band and stuff. 

Lots of folks with good taste hereabouts

Of course, any five albums wiuld be played out quickly and become unlistenable but until you get there:

Mahavishnu Orchestra: Birds of Fire

Yes: Close to the Edge

King Crimson: Lizard

CAB: CAB 4

Genesis: Lamb Lies Down Broadway

leaving so many on shelf like all the other Mahavishnu and Crimson offerings, RTF in the DiMeola era, Weather Report - Sweetnighter, Vinny Moore - Time Odyssey , Branch& Co - Harp Attack, PFM - Cook, Brand X - (too many to list), Santana - Caravanserai, Pink Floyd - Animals, Meddle and Wish You Were Here, ELP - Tarkus, Trilogy, Vai - Passion& Warfare, David Sancious & Tone - Transformation, Stanley Clarke - (first album), Daryl Streumer - Rewired, UK - Danger Money, J Geils - Full House, JP Ponty - also too many to list, Tomita - Firebird Suite, LTE 1&2,  Procol Harum - Home, Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs and soooooo many more    

i

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Typical old guy list with nothing after 1990 but here we go anyway 

Pink Floyd- animals. Reminds me of care free days and the music just takes me on a ride 

U2 - Joshua tree. Yeah yeah bono this bono that. The 2nd side of that album never gets old and I am stuck on an island after all 

Rush - moving pictures. What else is left to say about this masterpiece 

Guns N Roses - appetite for destruction. This came out my senior year in high school I must have played it 500 times lol

Led Zeppelin- III.   I hadn’t heard really anything from this album except immigrant song on the radio until my freshman year at school and someone found out about that and gave me headphones and I got in the proper mood and listened to it all the way through during a snowstorm.   Made an impression 

Goddam you. 

How could I forget Joshua Tree. 

Album I think I listened to front to back and back to front more than any other. 

Outstanding. 

Judging by this thread, there has been no music to come out since the mid 80’s.  

Im old as hell but still stay on top of all new metal and see about 8 concerts a year.

Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake

Behemoth - Evangelion

Gojira - Magma

Slayer - Repentless

YOB - Our Raw Heart

Honorable Mention:

Tool - Fear Inoculum (Just from the title track, the reviews, and anticipation.)

• Upvote 1

George Benson - Breezin

Pat Martino - Footprint

Jaco Pastorius- Birthday Concert

Steely Dan - Best of

Toto - Toto IV

Honorable mention

Any Beatles

Any Hendrix

Any SRV

Pat Metheny- Question and Answer

John Coltrane- Giant Steps

Kirk Franklin - rebirth of 

Any Stevie wonder 

Any Frank Sinatra 

19 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Neither of these is true.

My kids range from 25-31 and every single one of them has listened to thousands of entire albums (did you ever drive to Florida or the OBX with 4 kids?). My kids all had CD players and would pop them in and listen to them all the time.  And my kids have each bought hundreds of CDs over the years.  Not in the last 5 years or so, but absolutely they did.

But you could be right about everybody else.  Except their friends and my friends kids.

But other than that you're right.  

Hey its all in how to presented music to your kids when they were growing up. Had band practice at my house for years, so music was everywhere here.

My youngest daughter will be 22 next weekend, and she has bought lots of CDs for her car. Heard her listening to the Peace Sells cd by Megadeth last month and shed a glorious tear of pride.

My grandson at 16 is "borrowing" my cds all the time to jam out in the truck I gave him. I hear him blasting entire albums of Primus/Clutch/Danzig/Prong through the woods down back all the time.

Its all in the hips baby.

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Nobody under the age of 54 has ever listened to an entire album. No one under the age of 35 has ever had to purchase an album.

I’m not saying this to make fun of anyone. I just think it’s interesting how irrelevant this once-staple question is to younger people. It’s like talking about your favorite VHS tape.

Actually vinyl is making a comeback with the youts.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m heading to my second island. 

Welcome to Asbury Park

The Wild, The Innocent and  The East Street Shuffle

Born to Run

Darkness on the Edge of Town

The Rising 

couldn't believe this is the only one with Bruce

5 Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

4 Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd

3 U2 - Joshua Tree

2 Grateful Dead - American Beauty

1 Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon     (love the Animals selections above ... couldn't quite top 5 it myself)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Lots of folks with good taste hereabouts

Of course, any five albums wiuld be played out quickly and become unlistenable but until you get there:

Mahavishnu Orchestra: Birds of Fire

Yes: Close to the Edge

King Crimson: Lizard

CAB: CAB 4

Genesis: Lamb Lies Down Broadway

leaving so many on shelf like all the other Mahavishnu and Crimson offerings, RTF in the DiMeola era, Weather Report - Sweetnighter, Vinny Moore - Time Odyssey , Branch& Co - Harp Attack, PFM - Cook, Brand X - (too many to list), Santana - Caravanserai, Pink Floyd - Animals, Meddle and Wish You Were Here, ELP - Tarkus, Trilogy, Vai - Passion& Warfare, David Sancious & Tone - Transformation, Stanley Clarke - (first album), Daryl Streumer - Rewired, UK - Danger Money, J Geils - Full House, JP Ponty - also too many to list, Tomita - Firebird Suite, LTE 1&2,  Procol Harum - Home, Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs and soooooo many more    

i

J Geils Full house, DAMN! Been a long time, have to revisit. Just listened to Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs a couple of weeks ago. 

Roy Buchanan LIVE STOCK another Dandy, especially since being stranded on a desert Island you'd probably need a Blues Album.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ljr said:

couldn't believe this is the only one with Bruce

My U2 painting story reminded me of another multi-room painting story where I listened to Bruce’s first 4 albums back to front and front to back for weeks whilst doing another painting job. 

Until The Rising and after I found I don’t like much of what he did either uninspiring or down right bad. 

He lost me at The River although he’s my second most attended concert after U2, followed oddly enough by James Taylor lol. 

But his first 4 are iconic. 

I don’t think Thunder Road is his absolute best song but I think this performance and recording is the best he’s ever done. Played it really loud in the car the other day and it made my eyes mist up for a while. Thinking about life from 20-30 years ago and how it’s all changed for the good, bad, happy and sad. Really a great version. 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m heading to my second island. 

Welcome to Asbury Park

The Wild, The Innocent and  The East Street Shuffle

Born to Run

Darkness on the Edge of Town

The Rising 

Wow, no Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes? 

well.... in no order

roxymusic_avalon.jpg

Roxy Music- Avalon..saw Roxy twice in one weekend and Bryan Ferry, on two different tours. All gigs in/near Los Angeles.

201096348232.jpg

Janes Addiction, first album

saw them a few times in 86,87 before they got big, at an L.A. goth club, Scream.

I found out years later that a close friend is the Brother in law of one of the guys who worked at Triple xxx records , who did sound sound/ production and traveled/managed the band.. Dea Naleway.. he's the guy getting whipped by a dominatrix, if you've ever seen the movie "The Gift", lol.

412xeMWfUxL._SY450_.jpg

the_scream.jpg?w=425

Saw them two nights in a row. 6/6/86, 6/7, at the Hollywood Palladium.

Love and Rockets opened for them. After that night... well, lol screw classic dinosaur rock. I entered a new world of sound.

number 5.

.. I could have gone with.. pixies= Surfer Rosa. Devo's first album. B52's first album. Beastie boys, Maybe a Fear or The Jam album.. but you gotta help something, wild, funky, bizarre and obscure, live on!

Sigue Sigue Sputnik= Flaunt it. with fantastic hits like love missile F1-11, She's my man and Atari Baby, lol

350953.jpg

side A

On 8/17/2019 at 5:32 PM, slats said:

So my quick list...

The Clash - Sandinista

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Van Halen - Fair Warning

Remarkably while every VH fan loves that, it was a bad seller. Everyone I know had it and loved it. It was their least pop/most hard rock album. The next one, "Diver Down"overeacted in the worst way; poppy covers, songs written by others, almost no hard rock at all. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Remarkably while every VH fan loves that, it was a bad seller. Everyone I know had it and loved it. It was their least pop/most hard rock album. The next one, "Diver Down"overeacted in the worst way; poppy covers, songs written by others, almost no hard rock at all. 

It's funny, I was thinking about The Cars' Panorama in very similar terms today. I dug The Cars from the first time I heard My Best Friend's Girl and ran out and bought their debut and it was love at first listen. Really enjoyed Candy-o, too, as a more upbeat version of that first record. Panorama came out, and I was excited about the band's new direction. It was clever and experimental and really pushed the boundaries, and was critically panned. Touch and Go, in particular, getting a ton of bad press despite heavy airplay. The album went platinum, but was less successful than the previous two, and The Cars cowardly went back to their previous formula. It was a shame, because they could've been on track to be a great band. Instead, they're largely forgotten. 

Reminds me of Bowie's Let's Dance, which was created as a joke about pop music but instead started a run of bad albums that Bowie later apologized for - for being too boring in the 80s. 

Yeah, I still throw Fair Warning on a few times a year because it still holds up. Definitely their hardest rocker after their first two records, but also with clear pop underpinnings. A best of both worlds that would've been a better track for them than Diver Down or 1984. 

Ugh, I was excited about Led Zeppelin's In Through the Out Door as an exciting turn for them, but then Bonham died. Prior to that, it was getting critical praise while fans of the band were largely turned off. I really liked Plant's Pictures at Eleven, and may need to put that on sometime soon. I like the different stuff, I guess. And when listening to music, I always go for stuff I haven't heard before. 

• Upvote 1