PFF Grades

msena88

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Which players are ahead of him and what was their draft slot?

I don't think him being the 4th best safety is anything to crow about, is it? It's year 3 and he's one of highest drafted safeties of all time  @1.6

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 7
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

I don't think him being the 4th best safety is anything to crow about, is it? It's year 3 and he's one of highest drafted safeties of all time  @1.6

His draft spot and who was drafted after him has zero to do with his ability on the field.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah....okay.....too bad he never makes an "impact" or whatever.

:P

I remember when Revis didn't make an "impact" in games because QBs avoided him. Adams is a great player. He is a leader and help the team win games. 

There are a ton of mistakes Macc made (draft picks/FA signings), Adams isn't one of them. 

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, CTM said:

So if Darnold is say the 4th highest QB, and Brady is ahead of him, you'd say, big deal, why we'd draft him 3rd, you can get good quarterbacks in the 6th round?

I still don't think people understand that there are 2 different questions - should we have taken Mahomes or Adams at 6 (because clearly we'd have taken Mahomes if not for Adams - yeah right), or is Adams a really good player?  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

This one cuts both ways—Jamal isn’t a franchise QB and two were drafted after him and we desperately needed one buuuuut... Macc was never drafting Mahomes or Watson. In round one he takes guys who “fall,” he would never reach in the first. He played the draft not to lose.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

Being #1 still equated to 0 wins while Sam was out.

Still feels good though, I guess, if you're into that sort of thing.

Do you think we would have more wins if Adams was an elite edge rusher? 

Some of you are just miserable Jets fans. We have a great player and you constantly whine about him. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, CTM said:

The ranking is combination of coverage and tackling.

Its nothing more, numbers aren’t meant  to determine who’s the best, 2nd best etc. Only tell part of the story

i bet Donaldson ranking has fallen.  If that makes him the 14th best you buy it? 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

A good player can also be a bad draft pick. Jamal Adams is a very good player, he was also a bad draft pick. 

This is how the NFL values safeties: 

Franchise Tags

QB: $24.865 million
RB: $11.214 million
WR: $16.787 million
TE: $10.387 million
OL: $14.067 million
DE: $17.128 million
DT: $15.209 million
LB: $15.443 million
CB: $16.022 million
S: $11.15 million
K/P: $4.971 million

Lowest value on defense by far, lower than any other positions except TE and K/P. That's not a position you take with the 6th overall pick. As good as Adams is, his selection is part of why Maccagnan's now unemployed. When the time comes, are you going to be looking for the Jets to pay Adams $12M/year+? Some will. He'll also be subject to a lot of the same conversations we're having about Leo Williams right now. 

Yeah, we all know the value, or lack thereof, of safeties. 

Would you guys be happier if we went with a WR like John Ross or Mike Williams, the two WRs that went right after Adams?  Ross is pretty much a bust. Williams isn't that good and can't stay on the field. 

The screw up in that draft was clearly passing on Watson/Mahomes. Maybe Lattimore. But that's about it. CMC is great, but a RB is about as useless as a safety these days. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Welp said:

You guys complaining about Adams draft value but just imagine if we drafted Hockenson at #3 like some posters here suggested...

Another low value position. For Mac, I think it was between Jamal and Fournette, playing yet another low value position. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

A good player can also be a bad draft pick. Jamal Adams is a very good player, he was also a bad draft pick. 

Franchise Tags

Lowest value on defense by far, lower than any other positions except TE and K/P. That's not a position you take with the 6th overall pick. As good as Adams is, his selection is part of why Maccagnan's now unemployed. When the time comes, are you going to be looking for the Jets to pay Adams $12M/year+? Some will. He'll also be subject to a lot of the same conversations we're having about Leo Williams right now. 

OK but why do Jets fans feel the need to harp on this ad nauseum? It's a sunk cost. The draft pick was made, the guy who made the pick is gone and it can't be changed.

What we have now is a guy on our team who is an awesome player. Jets fans should be happy about that. Instead all we hear is this bullsh*t every time he is mentioned. Get over it already FFS.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

OK but why do Jets fans feel the need to harp on this ad nauseum? It's a sunk cost. The draft pick was made, the guy who made the pick is gone and it can't be changed.

What we have now is a guy on our team who is an awesome player. Jets fans should be happy about that. Instead all we hear is this bullsh*t every time he is mentioned. Get over it already FFS.

I try not to do a lot of harping in general but, seriously, are you gonna be in favor of the Jets breaking the bank for a safety in the next couple years? Or will you be wanting to see the Jets get trade value for him instead? How much does the defense fall off with Rontez Miles in at SS? 

If I'm Joe Douglas, Jamal Adams is on the block right now. He's a safety who could get back a potential first round pick. Trading a great safety for, potentially, a very good starting OL, CB, or WR would be a very good trade. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Do you think we would have more wins if Adams was an elite edge rusher? 

Some of you are just miserable Jets fans. We have a great player and you constantly whine about him. 

I think we would have more wins if Jamal Adams was Patrick Maholmes or Deshaun Watson.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I try not to do a lot of harping in general but, seriously, are you gonna be in favor of the Jets breaking the bank for a safety in the next couple years? Or will you be wanting to see the Jets get trade value for him instead? How much does the defense fall off with Rontez Miles in at SS? 

If I'm Joe Douglas, Jamal Adams is on the block right now. He's a safety who could get back a potential first round pick. Trading a great safety for, potentially, a very good starting OL, CB, or WR would be a very good trade. 

It's an interesting discussion to have, I just don't see why it has to happen every time Adams does something good. It's actually quite frustrating. If the guy continues to play at an all-pro level I'd like to see him remain a Jet. Offenses need to account for him every play. 

Without fail every Adams accolade is immediately transitioned to incessant whining about his draft position.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

I think we would have more wins if Jamal Adams was Patrick Maholmes or Deshaun Watson.

Yes.  No argument.  Passing on Mahomes was, in retrospect, a Marino-like blunder.  Not only having him, but we'd then have those 3 second round picks back.  But keep in mind that we did not have Andy Reid coaching here and nobody like Kelce or  Hill so Mahomes might have been far less of a TD vending machine here than he has been in KC.  It's an interesting 'what-if' to play out but ultimately pointless.  Moving up to pick Mahomes probably puts Andy Reid into the HoF (both for the saavy to do it and for the inevitable SB that he will win).

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, slats said:

Franchise Tags

Is there a breakdown between C, OG and OT?  I remember people saying drafting a guard with a high pick (Quentin Nelson) would be a huge waste of resources.  But now I get the feeling that, in retrospect, people would say that both he and Brandon Scherff (who the Redskins took over Leonard Williams) were worth it.  

36 minutes ago, slats said:

Franchise Tags

So we can franchise Jamal Adams for low $ ???  That's awesome.  This was all part of Macc's strategy and his longterm vision for retaining an elite Pro Bowl player longterm!

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

:D 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is there a breakdown between C, OG and OT?  I remember people saying drafting a guard with a high pick (Quentin Nelson) would be a huge waste of resources.  But now I get the feeling that, in retrospect, people would say that both he and Brandon Scherff (who the Redskins took over Leonard Williams) were worth it.  

The NFL doesn't distinguish between OL positions for franchise tag numbers (which sucks for LTs).  Also, IIRC, Scherff was drafted to be a Tackle, but wasn't very good at it so they moved him to OG where he has excelled.  Not sure if they would have drafted him there if they knew that ahead of time.