Titans bench Marcus Mariota for Ryan Tannehill in big shake up

Titans bench Marcus Mariota for Ryan Tannehill in big shake-up

October 15, 2019 | 10:28pm

The struggling Tennessee Titans needed an offensive spark, so they’re making a quarterback change.

Marcus Mariota will be benched in favor of Ryan Tannehill, NFL Network reported Tuesday.

The 2-4 Titans, who play host to the 2-4 Chargers this Sunday, have scored just seven points in their last two losses. They fell 14-7 to the Bills two weeks ago, and 16-0 to the Broncos on Sunday. They have not scored more than 24 points since their opening-day 43-13 blowout win over the Browns.

This move is not such a surprise after head coach Mike Vrabel yanked the 2015 second-overall pick Mariota, who already threw two interceptions, in the third quarter for Tannehill in the loss to the Broncos. The former Miami Dolphins quarterback went 13-for-16 for 144 yards and led the Titans to their only trips into the red zone, but an interception and a turnover on downs prevented Tennessee from scoring.

Tennessee acquired Tannehill, along with a 2019 sixth-round draft pick, from Miami this offseason in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2020 draft and a seventh-round pick in 2019. Tannehill signed a one-year deal with the Titans worth $7 million with up to $12 million in incentives to facilitate the trade.

Mariota has been the Titans’ unquestioned starter for the past few seasons, but the team was prepared to rally around Tannehill based on some of their comments Monday.

“Ryan was an elite QB in this league not longer than a year ago. He can take over a team,” tight end Delanie Walker told reporters Monday. “He can make plays.”

“It’s a tough situation because I think this entire team is and has always been behind No. 8,” safety Kevin Byard said. “As long as we’ve been here, that’s been my guy. I support him throughout everything. But that’s a coach’s decision. If they feel like No. 17 can give us the best opportunity to win ball games, I understand they’ll make the decision they feel is best for our team.”

Mariota is 29-32 in 61 starts.

LOL

Mariota is wildly inconsistent, but I’d still sure as hell take him over Tannehill.

Tannehill at his best was the very definition of a middle of the pack QB who isn’t going to take you where you want to go. Sorta like Pennington from 2004 and beyond. Now he’s multiple years and injuries removed from that.

At least there’s the chance you can catch fire with a guy like Mariota, even though it’s become increasingly obvious that he isn’t the longterm solution in Tennessee.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

Mariota is wildly inconsistent, but I’d still sure as hell take him over Tannehill.

Tannehill at his best was the very definition of a middle of the pack QB who isn’t going to take you where you want to go. Pretty much like Pennington from 2004 and beyond. Now he’s multiple years and injuries removed from that.

At least there’s the chance you can catch fire with a guy like Mariota, even though it’s become increasingly obvious that he isn’t the longterm solution in Tennessee.

The Titans lack any sort of identity on offense. I don't think it's the quarterbacks fault. They haven't given Marcus any serious help weapon wise either.

36 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

The Titans lack any sort of identity on offense. I don't think it's the quarterbacks fault. They haven't given Marcus any serious help weapon wise either.

Sounds eerily familiar! Fortunately for us, our 1st rd. franchise can make Frappuccino out of POOP!

For those who don't need a magnifying glass.  :)

Titans bench Marcus Mariota for Ryan Tannehill in big shake-up

October 15, 2019 | 10:28pm

The struggling Tennessee Titans needed an offensive spark, so they’re making a quarterback change.

Marcus Mariota will be benched in favor of Ryan Tannehill, NFL Network reported Tuesday.

The 2-4 Titans, who play host to the 2-4 Chargers this Sunday, have scored just seven points in their last two losses. They fell 14-7 to the Bills two weeks ago, and 16-0 to the Broncos on Sunday. They have not scored more than 24 points since their opening-day 43-13 blowout win over the Browns.

This move is not such a surprise after head coach Mike Vrabel yanked the 2015 second-overall pick Mariota, who already threw two interceptions, in the third quarter for Tannehill in the loss to the Broncos. The former Miami Dolphins quarterback went 13-for-16 for 144 yards and led the Titans to their only trips into the red zone, but an interception and a turnover on downs prevented Tennessee from scoring.

Tennessee acquired Tannehill, along with a 2019 sixth-round draft pick, from Miami this offseason in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2020 draft and a seventh-round pick in 2019. Tannehill signed a one-year deal with the Titans worth $7 million with up to $12 million in incentives to facilitate the trade.

Mariota has been the Titans’ unquestioned starter for the past few seasons, but the team was prepared to rally around Tannehill based on some of their comments Monday.

“Ryan was an elite QB in this league not longer than a year ago. He can take over a team,” tight end Delanie Walker told reporters Monday. “He can make plays.”

“It’s a tough situation because I think this entire team is and has always been behind No. 8,” safety Kevin Byard said. “As long as we’ve been here, that’s been my guy. I support him throughout everything. But that’s a coach’s decision. If they feel like No. 17 can give us the best opportunity to win ball games, I understand they’ll make the decision they feel is best for our team.”

Mariota is 29-32 in 61 starts.

31 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Mariota for Back-up...2024 7th Rounder...Get it done Dougy.

No. Not even as a backup. Guy can't tell what he's looking at...a la Geno.

Bortles is prolly the most capable b/u now...

On a side note- Teddy B will prolly get a chanmce to be a starter...  but on a weak team...  I never really believed in him, myself...   a notch above Jameis

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

A mediocre QB swapped for another mediocre QB. YUUUUGE!

It’s a great example of how drafting a QB is never a sure thing. In college.. no one would imagine that Watson or Mahommes would be way better than Mariotta.  They all deserve 1st round draft but there are more busts than not. Sucks for the Titans...  but we had our busts too. 

SUCK for the duck seems like yesterday. We would have drafted him if he were available. 

• Upvote 1