Accountability

Phillyjet

We are back in the Kotite days, maybe worse as we were pre-Vinny with gimpy Neil O’Donnell and Bubby Brister back then.  So we had somewhat of an excuse.

to me, the worst part of watching this has been the lack of accountability.  It has steadily eroded since Parcells was here.  

This last year has been a sh*tshow.  JD may be good, but we’ve been saying that about the new guy for years.  Fashion show for unis never would have happened under Parcells.  He’d be playing street free agents over the pampered high priced vets by now.  No personnel plan at all, and a QB who is good but being ruined in front of our eyes.  

When JD goes up there and defends Gase today, we will be at rock bottom.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Holy hell I hadn't considered that.  If our boy Douglas goes up there and defends Gase, rather than being coy and mincing words and dodging questions about his future and being non-committal, etc. I'm going to lose my mind.

I don't expect him to hammer Gase...but I need to see a guy that looks torn and who is sending message that he's not going to sit back and watch his QB get killed, his team look unprepared, etc.

Problem is...he's not the boss.  CJ is.

Today will be very interesting.  Good point Phillyjet.  I completely agree.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

I don't expect him to hammer Gase...but I need to see a guy that looks torn and who is sending message that he's not going to sit back and watch his QB get killed, his team look unprepared, etc.

How is Gase supposed to protect Darnold with a practice squad player at LT?  You don't need to defend Gase, or go easy on him, to know that the offensive line is beyond inadequate.

26 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

We are back in the Kotite days, maybe worse as we were pre-Vinny with gimpy Neil O’Donnell and Bubby Brister back then.  So we had somewhat of an excuse.

to me, the worst part of watching this has been the lack of accountability.  It has steadily eroded since Parcells was here.  

This last year has been a sh*tshow.  JD may be good, but we’ve been saying that about the new guy for years.  Fashion show for unis never would have happened under Parcells.  He’d be playing street free agents over the pampered high priced vets by now.  No personnel plan at all, and a QB who is good but being ruined in front of our eyes.  

Absolutely untrue, that roster was better than this one. No way our QB was getting sacked at a record pace, hurried & hit on almost every drop back, or had 8-11 guys out at different times the 1st 6 games. Go back in time & look at the Oline Parcells had in 1998 when Vinny went down. We had Keyshawn Johnson as our #1 WR, not some stick figure running 9 routes. We have ignored or missed in the draft EVERY SINGLE offensive player except Darnold & Herndon (the invisible man). Watching other NFL games is nauseating seeing all these awesome offensive players. My god, Mahomes is throwing to All pros all over the place, Juju is a beast, hell, Preston Williams will be twice the WR Robbie Anderson is today soon. Just lame. 

• Upvote 1

Any kind of a vote of confidence in the coach today will send this fanbase into convulsions.  While I wouldn't expect a verbal beatdown of Gase, I don't see how there is anything to be positive about.  You can't defend the indefensible.  The team has been terrible and so has the coach.   

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

Actually we got new uniforms with Bill. There was just a picture of a player in it. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

Holy hell I hadn't considered that.  If our boy Douglas goes up there and defends Gase, rather than being coy and mincing words and dodging questions about his future and being non-committal, etc. I'm going to lose my mind.

Anyone who expects JD to do anything besides tow the company line isn't  being realistic. I'm sure he will say we need to do better, and that we are working on correcting mistakes and that things will get better in the future just like everyone in his position does. I'm really not sure of the power structure  in the building but I would say right now Gase probably has more juice than JD. I mean how else could he still be the HC and seemingly  not getting any heat. I doubt any heat is going to be turned up today. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Un, he could put more players back there to block?

Ok, so when we max protect, leaving a TE and RB in, every passing down, how do we deal with our WRs being doubled?  There are only 5 players on the field you can move around, so, once you've sacrificed two to help block, the defense now only has to account for 3 players.  Who's beating the double teams?

You simply can't scheme away our lack of talent.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

Lose your mind?  Are you going to stop watching the games entirely?  Do tell.

• Haha 2

The Rich Kotite Jets had a better offense than the Adam Gase Jets. The '95 Jets averaged 254.2 YPG & 15.9 PPG. The Adam Gase Jets presently average 209.6 YPG & 13.1 PPG. 

In 1995 the top offense averaged 382.1 YPG & 28.6 PPG. Today the top offense presently averages 437.9 YPG & 31.2 PPG.

Kotite > Gase

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Ok, so when we max protect, leaving a TE and RB in, every passing down, how do we deal with our WRs being doubled?  There are only 5 players on the field you can move around, so, once you've sacrificed two to help block, the defense now only has to account for 3 players.  Who's beating the double teams?

Other teams do it. If you have your QB getti g rushed up the middle all the time and throwing off balance,  there is zero chance to get a complete pass unless you get unbelievably lucky.  If San feels he will have space to operate in, at least he can use his accuracy to put the ball in a place where a catch can be made. It's  not like every team plays perfect coverage in the secondary and Sam has gotten guys open looking players off. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Other teams do it. If you have your QB getti g rushed up the middle all the time and throwing off balance,  there is zero chance to get a complete pass unless you get unbelievably lucky.  If San feels he will have space to operate in, at least he can use his accuracy to put the ball in a place where a catch can be made. It's  not like every team plays perfect coverage in the secondary and Sam has gotten guys open looking players off. 

Other teams do not max protect on every play.  At some point, your line has to hold up.  We are brutally over-matched.  It will be better when Beachum is back, and Beachum isn't even good.  Edoga does not belong on the field right now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Other teams do not max protect on every play.  At some point, your line has to hold up.  We are brutally over-matched.  It will be better when Beachum is back, and Beachum isn't even good.  Edoga does not belong on the field right now.

I didn't  say every play. Look, if your going twist anything I argue about, there is no point in a discussion.  No team can run the same protection  every play. That is just insane

• WTF? 1

I agree on some points. Parcells did change our uniforms back to the original and did have a "fashion show" in NYC though.

I felt Mangini was accountable and had a smart team. Just too much like his former boss, or so he thought.

Since Rex though, its really gone down hill and fast.

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Not at LT, but he was doing a decent job at RT. Tells you what they ultimately think of Shell, that they would put a rookie with 3 games under his belt at LT against a team with a very good pass rush over a guy with 3 years of starting experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, rldev said:

It gets a little tiring hearing about accountability and the great Bill Parcells. Here's a fact, Bill Parcells left this franchise in poor shape. He was no better than Rex Ryan for the Jets.

Rex Ryan didn't stay on to cast his fat shadow over the franchise, causing the HOF coach they had lined up to "Resign as HC of NYJ" and his successor to run back to college.  **** that obese carpetbagger.

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

Not at LT, but he was doing a decent job at RT. Tells you what they ultimately think of Shell, that they would put a rookie with 3 games under his belt at LT against a team with a very good pass rush over a guy with 3 years of starting experience.

BINGO! This is truly one of the worst Olines in NFL history right now. Archie Manning in his heyday with the Aints would refuse to take a snap with this group. 

6 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

How about accountability from Christopher Johnson for the mess he created. It all goes back to him from hand picking Gase to allowing McCagnan to spend money and draft players only to fire him 3 weeks later. I want to hear from that tool 

Goes back further than that to Woody hiring a head hunting firm to find us Idzik. Then onto Woody consulting with Casserly (hey, lets ask the guy that Belichick said, "what the hell does Casserly know") for answers. That's how we ended up with a guy who was about to be fired in Houston. Just a sad sad situation & its getting more & more absurd.

• Upvote 1

Just to put it out there.

Uniforms had nothing to do with Gase nor Douglas. That's something that was set in motion well before either of them entered the building, and as far as the fashion show aspect, that's just the marketing department evolving with the times. 

Parcels hasn't even coached here since before social media was invented man. You're comparing an apple to a tennis shoe. 

Just to be clear, I'm not defending those guys, just pointing out that it's not an apt comparison. 

52 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

points well taken.  however, that shouldn't stop them from chipping the outside rushers or delaying at the line until the potential blitzers back off into coverage.  then they would have one or more guys coming open underneath.  but this all presupposes that the wr's are scary enough to demand doubles.

44 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I didn't  say every play. Look, if your going twist anything I argue about, there is no point in a discussion.  No team can run the same protection  every play. That is just insane

You said the solution was to add blockers.  We were sacked 8 times last game.  So, you'd need to be adding blockers on a lot of plays to compensate for that.

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

points well taken.  however, that shouldn't stop them from chipping the outside rushers or delaying at the line until the potential blitzers back off into coverage.  then they would have one or more guys coming open underneath.  but this all presupposes that the wr's are scary enough to demand doubles.

You watched the game.  Do you really think the difference between overwhelming pressure/8 sacks and Darnold having time to throw is a TE chipping an outside rusher?  I wish it were that easy.